• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking poles/sticks Santander

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is a very large El Corte Ingles department store just outside Santander, it is walkable otherwise there is a local bus there. They have a very good sports department. I am not sure of the address but you pass it on the way in from the airport. Otherwise there are lots of shops near the bus and train station in Santander.
Enjoy your camino.

Hi Caoimhin, Can't answer your question. madrid12 has done that for you. Help the people on Ivar's forum by responding to say if you bought gear or reason for initial query.
If you have a few hours to kill you might hire a bike for free provided by local council.
I posted it last year , but watch out for it when in Santander. You can take a bike for free but don't forget to return it, so other tourists can avail of this scheme.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Crackmrmac, my reason for asking about getting sticks/poles at Santander is that if I bring my own with me, I will have to check in my rucksack, rather than bring them on in cabin baggage. They fold up short enough to fit. Checking them in would almost double the cost of my flight. I got Ryanair special offer flights to/from Santander (no taxes or charges - rare enough). I'd prefer to buy new ones and give them away when finished. Slan go foill. Caoimhin

Hi Caoimhin,

I saw quite a few walking sticks stuck into a container at the entrance of the Santander refugio, these could be (but unlikely) left from pilgrims donating them? or were they ( I did not ask) for sale? I am sure the very helpful hospitalero will tell you where to get walking poles/sticks in Santander.

I agree that putting the poles into Ryanair cargo is best avoided, I paid for this facility but the good quality sticks were lost in transit. Save the money charged by Ryanair for the cargo and use the money saved to offset the cost of buying the poles/sticks. Santander is a modern city and you can get the sticks/poles as mentioned by other forum members there.

Kwaheri

Thanks to one and all for help. I arrive Santander early Thurs 14th May for one week's walking on Norte. First time on Norte. Caoimhin.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The sticks in the container at the albergue in Santander belong to the pilgrims staying there, and also there were a few old and broken ones left behind by others. I didn't buy sticks at Santander, as I didn't have time to go to Corte Ingles, and there were none to be got at other sports shops. I bought a lovely wooden one for €4.50 at Santillana del Mar, and it was perfect. I left it in the room where I finished at Ribadesella - I had only one week.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back