• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Poles

Calirunner

Time of past OR future Camino
As we begin to assemble our Camino gear, I'm wondering about the pole thing -- is there a real benefit to using walking poles? We've hiked Zion, Bryce and Grand Canyon quite successfully without them, as well as Marin/Mt. Tam and other NorCal trail systems, and it seems the only truly technical "hike" would be from St. Jean to Roncesvalles via the Napoleon route. Is it worth the purchase for other reasons (like fending off the hordes of slavering, rabid wild dogs of Camino lore, for example...j/k)? In the interest of keeping things streamlined and light, we're wondering if they're really necessary.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
is there a real benefit to using walking poles?
Yes, if you are a believer in science and tests/studies.
the only truly technical "hike" would be from St. Jean to Roncesvalles via the Napoleon route.
There is nothing technical about it. The first few kilometers are gently sloping road. Then there are some steeper shortcuts across switchbacks in the toad (stay on the road, and nothing gets very steep). Then there is more gentle dirt track. Then there is road. Then there is downhill with some rocks that can be slippery in wet conditions. There is nothing that would require hands or climbing boots.:):)

Poles will be useful for reducing stresses on ankles, knees, and hips, and for any slippery parts. The older you get, the more they help! They also gets your arms into the action for both pack balancing and an extra boost. If poles are used like Joost in "The Way," it is better to leave them at home.

Walking with poles suits me very well. Since two years I've been walking with poles, first Lekis then a year later Pacer Poles, which I liked better. If I read what you've walked before I don't see that you would "need" poles on any Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I couldn't see walking for over a month and making my legs do all the work while my arms just dangled, those slackers! :p Seriously, I wanted to keep my arms in shape, and didn't feel like doing push-ups at the end of the day.
I had never used poles before, but I used them all the time on the Camino, except when I was in towns and cities. They probably saved me from a tumble or two, and definitely kept my hands from swelling, which they tend to do when they aren't put to use on long walks, especially when it's hot.

Both my medical Dr. and my Chiropractor highly recommended poles.
I am 63 with some very difficult back issues. The young lady who helped me in the store uses poles for hiking. She said she can go further before becoming tired and up hill is much easier.

I never used poles until I did my camino. I'm so glad I took them, for me it was the ups and downs where they came into their own, I really feel that if I didn't have them then I'm not so sure I would have completed the journey, I was 67 when i started.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am sure all the science and preference for the poles are accurate, but I have never hiked with poles in the US so did not take them on The Camino. I am not suggesting my hike wouldn't have been easier with them, but I felt fine without them.

There is certainly a store or two with pilgrim equipment in SJPdP ;-) It is a major starting point and the Camino is one of the main 'business opportunities' in the little town. Buen Camino, SY

The easiest to find store is for example in the same street as the pilgrims office.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Now granted I walked the camino when I was 22- I wouldn't say trekking poles are necessary if you've done a comfortable amount of hiking without them. When I arrived in SJPDP I didn't own poles, but other pilgrims strongly recommended I purchase them before starting in the Pyrenese. For me, they felt more like a liability. I left them in a albergue after a couple hundred kilometers.

As we begin to assemble our Camino gear, I'm wondering about the pole thing -- is there a real benefit to using walking poles? We've hiked Zion, Bryce and Grand Canyon quite successfully without them, as well as Marin/Mt. Tam and other NorCal trail systems, and it seems the only truly technical "hike" would be from St. Jean to Roncesvalles via the Napoleon route. Is it worth the purchase for other reasons (like fending off the hordes of slavering, rabid wild dogs of Camino lore, for example...j/k)? In the interest of keeping things streamlined and light, we're wondering if they're really necessary.
I have walked in the Alps and the Pyrenees over the years without poles. However, I started Nordic walking a couple of years ago and now I love using the poles in the mountains. I found them very useful on the descents particularly and I have heard they take up to 30% of the pressure off the knees. If you don't already use poles, it might be an idea to just get trekking poles over there. I took lightweight carbon Nordic walking travel poles, but you can get trekking poles that are much less expensive.

Now granted I walked the camino when I was 22- I wouldn't say trekking poles are necessary if you've done a comfortable amount of hiking without them. When I arrived in SJPDP I didn't own poles, but other pilgrims strongly recommended I purchase them before starting in the Pyrenese. For me, they felt more like a liability. I left them in a albergue after a couple hundred kilometers.
Sad to hear that. Were you given any instruction or hints on how to use them? I regularly find that people aren't given any, and expected to somehow learn by themselves the couple of simple things that make the difference between them being really useful, and as you seem to have found, a liability.

@Calirunner, if you are contemplating purchasing poles after you arrive in Europe, I strongly recommend you get some practice with them before you go. There will be enough things occupying your mind on those first couple of days without attempting to acquire a new skill at the same time. Find someone who is prepared to lend you some poles, and you will find pretty good advice here and on the web generally that you can use.

As for carrying them on aircraft, the rules on this are not set by individual airlines, but by national civil aviation safety authorities. On this they are remarkably consistent - they are not permitted as cabin baggage. What is also clear is that there is not necessarily any great enthusiasm by the inspectors responsible for applying this rule to do so rigourously, except at Santiago airport.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, it seems that even telescoping poles are a no-no onboard, so we'll have to purchase in St. JPDP (we're pushing thru from California to St. Jean in a pretty tight schedule, so will have to wait until we get there).

My husband suggested borrowing a pair and watching some tutorials online and practicing here. Even though we're both pretty fit walkers/hikers/runners, we have done one 14.5 mile practice walk this month, will do another with packs in July, and perhaps after some practice, will do the third practice walk with packs and poles in August.

I get that they're good for some, others may find them merely extra baggage, which is cool. My husband even suggested purchasing one pair in St. Jean, sharing them on and off for the first leg of the journey, and if we both love them, purchasing a second pair next town down the line.

Let me suggest that if you are curious about how you will do walking on the Camino, that you do some 14 mile practice hikes, fully geared and with the shoes you'll be using, each day for several days in a row. That will help you properly guage how well your body recovers and then responds to walking like you will be doing on the Camino. Just a suggestion :)

I was 22 fifty years ago. Things change!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is certainly a store or two with pilgrim equipment in SJPdP ;-) It is a major starting point and the Camino is one of the main 'business opportunities' in the little town. Buen Camino, SY

The easiest to find store is for example in the same street as the pilgrims office.
Will it be easy to find walking poles in Leon?
Thanks

Poles may work for some people but I find them a real hassle and unnecessary (for me). Two more things to forget or lose and there is always something in your hands when you need your hands free. I tried poles and I prefer life without!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Poles will be useful for reducing stresses on ankles, knees, and hips, and for any slippery parts. The older you get, the more they help! ....
So it is...
If you are very fit and very healthy, you probably will not need poles and can walk without them.

If the walk is a physical challenge, the poles can be a huge difference and very useful. I haven't been on the Camino, but in the mountains I am very thankful for my poles... upwards and even more downwards (it is very difficult for my knees without poles). In the flat area it is helpful for me, but not so important.

I have been hiking and rock climbing most of my life, never using poles (I'm now 71). After reading posts here I bought some for my first camino, and don't think I could have completed it without them (serious shin splints). They came on my second, helped take the weight off my foot while walking with plantar fasciitis, and came on my third - no injuries! They help tremendously with balance, especially going down rocky paths, help with the steeper uphills, and if you put your mind to it, can really help propel you along flat sections. I've also used them to steady my phone on for zooming in for pictures. We wrap them up in cardboard and ship them as luggage, along with one of our backpacks with toiletries, etc in. Coming back they were wrapped in pseudo bubble wrap and tucked down into my pack, sticking out a bit. They arrived safely at JFK. I'm sure you can buy them in St. Jean, but using them beforehand so they are second nature would probably be a good idea. If you've skied before, especially cross-country, they will become a part of you very quickly. Buen camino - Cherry

I am an advocate for trekking poles for reasons already listed. I have several trekking poles and usually use them. However, at the end of June we were going to do a mini Camino from Sarria to Santiago together as a family. I thought I would need the poles because it was a short distance. I ended up tripping at the end of the 1st day going downhill, tucked and rolled, and popped back up with a broken arm (just above the wrist). I was lost in the moment looking around and not looking at the trail. It was and accident ... would the poles have prevented it? No se, but I am not going in the fall without my poles!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was lost in the moment looking around and not looking at the trail. It was and accident ... would the poles have prevented it? No se,
About eighteen years ago I was extolling trekking poles to another adult Scout leader on a training hike, and he was opining how unnecessary they were. Within a minute, he caught a foot on a root and did a full face plant with a loaded pack. I spent a half-hour cleaning the dirt from his wounds. Neither of us changed our opinion on trekking poles...

In my experience over five years and as many Caminos, I believe that there are three schools of thought regarding using hiking poles:

1. Pilgrims who cannot conceive of hiking anywhere, especially a Camino, without poles. I am firmly in this tranche.

2. Pilgrims who do not use poles and do not think them necessary.

3. Pilgrims who love poles, but ONLY if they are specifically "Pacer Poles." This is both a type and a brand.

In my first Camino, I learned to walk with poles in less than five-minutes. Once you do, it becomes autonomic, almost like walking in general.

As others have correctly stated, they transmit up to 25% of your rucksack weight through your torso to your arms. I do not understand it. But I DO know that it works...somehow. Using poles is, IMHO, like having four-wheel drive on an uphill segment. On downhill segments, it is alike have four wheel brakes.

As a general rule "GRAVITY SUCKS." It will seize every opportunity to pull you back down a hill when you are climbing, and to hurl you down a hill if your are descending. If you tend to be quite top heavy, like me when wearing a 12 kg pack, you can well understand what I mean.

There are shorter folks, with shorter legs and with pelvic girdles that are closer to the the surface of the earth. Seriously! Think about this. I have long-observed and watched who seemed to be making the best progress without poles.

It occurs to me that there is a geometric relationship between the distance, or height of one's pelvis & waist above the ground and one's relative stability over varied terrain. Year after year, I am in wonder over shorter pilgrims who can proceed like mountain goats even with heavy rucksacks, while I struggle to make way.

Anyway, my bottom line is that I am firmly in group #1 above. I could not conceive of doing a Camino without my poles. On my first Camino, my poles literally saved my life, preventing me from being hurled off a steep drop. Subsequently, I have found myriad uses for my poles.

Fighting off dogs is NOT, REPEAT NOT, an issue....period. In fact, when approaching dogs in Spain, I always lift my poles and carry them under one arm while speaking softly to the dogs telling them what good dogs they are, and to remain tranquilo / calm. It usually works.

I learned some years ago that rural dogs in Spain are generally farm dogs and are regarded like farm animals. Many rural dogs were raised and trained severely using a stick or cane to enforce discipline. Hence, the sight and sound of swinging, click-clack, of hiking poles causes agitation. I remove that stimulus by carrying my poles until I am "around the corner" and out of their territory.

Conversely, the folks who eschew poles do not use them because they feel they do not need them. That is their choice. I respect that choice.

As regards the pacer pole discussion, this is simply a difference in preference. Pole users who switched to Pacer Poles say they are much better and easier. Personally, I do not get it. But, again, that is their preference and I support it.

When considering poles, obtain the lightest variety you can afford. IMHO, Anti-shock poles are a gadget and a fad. They tend to break more easily under sustained daily use, and are harder to repair. They are also heavier.

Most good hiking poles are made of aluminum alloy segments. The segments adjust using either the classic twist tension fasteners, or a cam-lock arrangement, or a combination of the two. Most poles use the wist tension system. The components are somewhat generic and repair parts can be found along the way. I have also fixed slipping tensioners with duck tape. Keeping it simple is a good rule to follow.

Carbon fiber poles are VERY expensive and I recommend them only for folks who are prepared to pay three to four times the price of a good aluminum pole, and who have used poles previously. I used Leki aluminum alloy poles for four Caminos before stepping up to carbon fiber. The carbon fiber poles are lighter than the aluminum and collapse small enough to fit in any rucksack or piece of luggage.

Beware of buying poles in a souvenir shop in Europe. Just remember that you get what you pay for. This said, the Decathlon chain of sports department stores across Europe offer very good value for money and their poles can be seen all up and down the Camino. Check out www.decathlon.es to locate your nearest Decathlon in Spain.

I hope this helps.

Now I'm trying to sort out the carry on situation, ugh. So many conflicting reports regarding whether or not bringing telescoping trekking/walking poles in a carry-on is permissible. Is there a good store in St. JPDP for such items? I would probably prefer the telescoping ones rather than solid poles -- can always mail them home from Barcelona afterwards.
I bought my poles there last year 35€ and was glad I did, made my Camino easier.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You have to learn how to use them in a proper way.
Wish you well,Peter.

I met many kind and good people on my three Caminos, but none of them were such good and faithful friends as my two poles, purchased for €6 in Lydl in 2007.

Thanks for your advice!

It seems like they're a good addition -- having suffered from plantar fasciitis for over a year, that's definitely something I don't want to revisit. Also, the upper body workout and correct posture/form aspect is probably going to be very beneficial over the course of 30+ days.
They might help with plantar fasciitis but you will have to do more than use poles to prevent that problem. I used poles and that helped only after I developed the condition. Stretching A LOT prior to walking (calves, feet and ankles) and a proper pair of orthotics and proper shoes are the way to deal with PF. My podiatrist scolded me for using hiking shoes and not sticking with boots as the lack of lateral support was a major contributing factor. I also left my custom orthotics at home (I didn't want to get them wet) and bought super feet. Major mistake. So if you do struggle with PF, I recommend seeing your podiatrist and getting their advice for your particular case. I'd never had this issue in 20 years of long distance hiking. The only 2 things I changed was to switch to shoes and not wearing my custom orthotics. Blisters and knee issues were never a problem for me but I credit the poles for not having knee issues. Blisters have never been an issue since I wear footwear that fits and Darn Tough socks :) But that's my only foot related blessing.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I really needed mine. Not only did they help my knees and with carrying my pack, I felt they were essential for balance on the very muddy rocky sections. There were some very slippery places from the rain. At 70 with osteoperosis, I did not want to fall!

Ya, mine were the result of experimenting with minimalist running shoes. Ended up wearing pretty heavy, structured running shoes for a year before I could switch to something a little faster and more flexible again. So far, so good!
It's the worst pain ever, isn't it? Glad to hear of someone recovering. I stopped walking exactly one month ago yesterday and I'm already feeling a huge relief. The cortisone shots helped as did going back to using my orthotics and structured shoes at work. Good luck on your Camino. Buen Camino.

If you stay at the better casa rurals and hotels, you will not need a sleeping bag ( I went in February) or bath towel. If you Chi walk, you will not want poles.
Leaving behind poles and sleeping bag and towel is a lot of stuff to free yourself of. The idea of Chi walking is to be like a "needle in cotton"
the energy does not come from pushing with the extremities (which poles make worst), but rather from the core. Your abdomen is the core. The arms should be as light as cotton.
Pole tend to lengthen the stride which should be shortened when walking longer distances and conserving energy. Poles are about muscle strength. But it is poor balance and alignment
not poor muscle strength that makes you tired.
I have watched pole walkers and they really do wobble from side to side. For the math and science folks it is called vector analysis. Your arms are not centered
on your body, yes they push forward but also will have a side -to-side vector. Hey if you have bad knees, bad back etc. knock yourself out and get poles.
Check out this from the book "Slow Camino". Less is more!!!! .https://www.slowcaminobook.com/chi-walking-the-camino.html

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Would no
Would not have been able to complete my camino without them. I am hopeless on inclines and really need them. Use them to rest on by leaning forward when stopped. I also found them invaluable as an extra stabilising leg on some really steep rocky down hills

Pole tend to lengthen the stride which should be shortened when walking longer distances
You have made a few statements that I question, but this one is definitely not true for me. When walking with poles, planting every step on the opposite side, my stride shortens. The regular rythym and symmetry help my posture and endurance.

Yes, walking poles take a percentage weight off the legs and knees, but at what cost to the rest of the body ie the cardio-vascular system?
What sport in the Olympics do athletes burn the most energy per minute?
It is cross-country skiing. Takes the most energy per minute to do. Using arms and legs. Total burn for the body.
Hey it is a walking silent meditation...not a cross-country burn-out ski race.
So when you adopt poles, you become a bit like a cross-country skier...no longer a slow walk in the woods...the energy use goes way up
If you go without poles and walk in a mindful, aligned and balanced way (Chi Walk) with your upper extremities
light as a feather and your arms and hands making the micro movements that help to balance you, then
at the end of the day only your legs are tired...not you upper body. Take poles and the whole body is tired.
Stabbing the ground with poles is aggressive walking, micro-movements with the arms and hand is ZEN.
The real power comes from the lower body, not the arms. The best golfers hit the ball with their hips.
Great skeet shooters are "lower body" shooters...the top of the body is fixed and it all comes from the lower body.
Why is it you never see a picture of an inuit/eskimo walking through the artic with walking poles?
But hey "one man,,,one Camino" For me the most important thing is conserving energy so poles just do not work for me.
Plus I like to have my hands free.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
On plantar fasciitis. Even when the inflammation subsides in the tissues of the foot tendons,
it is still painful to walk because of the necrotic tissue still there.
You have to break up the necrotic tissue surrounding the tendons.
I did this with the blunt side of a butter knife making 25 strokes along the bottom
of my foot every night. You can feel the crinkling.
After the "butter knife" therapy for two weeks, I walked 800 km on the Route Frances
and the plantar faciitis never came back. Good arches in the shoe are important.

I started using poles 25 years ago and I can verify from personal experience that one of the reasons I can still do 15 miles a day in the steep mountains around here is because of them. When a person is young he may not realize the benefits of hiking poles, and they may seem superfluous but I think the benefits become more obvious as a person becomes "Gifted with age," and his legs become a little harder to operate on a consistent basis. I plan to to the Frances this September and I would not even consider doing it without hiking poles. I plan on taking the poles below which fit inside my pack and work fine. They are not adjustable in length like most poles but this is not a problem as long as you get the right size. They are surprisingly sturdy and don't vibrate much. I am 6 ft tall and the 120cm size suits me. If you are unsure which size suits you I suggest you try them out in a store as I found the Black Diamond size chart to be slightly inaccurate. I am assuming they are not carry-on compatible as hiking poles are on the TSA no carry-on list . If you use the little rubber tips that come with the poles you will need to carry replacement tips as I have found the rubber tips only last about 150 miles, but they work great on mixed pavement, dirt and rock surfaces.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LU1ED42/?tag=casaivar02-20

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Born and raised on Mt Tam, graduated from Tam High. Like you, I've hiked all my life. Walking the Camino is different. I never used poles until I started training to do it. Do three or four 15 milers back-to-back with a loaded pack and you'll feel the difference in your body that using poles will facilitate... or maybe you won't. Then you'll know.

Born and raised on Mt Tam, graduated from Tam High. Like you, I've hiked all my life. Walking the Camino is different. I never used poles until I started training to do it. Do three or four 15 milers back-to-back with a loaded pack and you'll feel the difference in your body that using poles will facilitate... or maybe you won't. Then you'll know.
Greetings from Sacramento neighbor. Yes I've hiked Mt. Tam many times, sometimes to escape the Sacramento heat which I'm sure you are aware of. I've already started hiking locally with my fully loaded Camino pack but only for about 6 miles sometimes in 100F heat or more after work. Haven't collapsed yet. Thinking of going for a 15 miler at Point Reyes to escape the "Big Sack" heat. Looks like I'm doing the Camino this Sept/Oct if I can get all my ducks in a row. I was born in Upstate N.Y. and moved here shortly after high school, but I like it out here better. The things they call mountains in N.Y. would be foothills out here. I ALWAYS use poles now.

Greetings from Sacramento neighbor. Yes I've hiked Mt. Tam many times, sometimes to escape the Sacramento heat which I'm sure you are aware of. I've already started hiking locally with my fully loaded Camino pack but only for about 6 miles sometimes in 100F heat or more after work. Haven't collapsed yet. Thinking of going for a 15 miler at Point Reyes to escape the "Big Sack" heat. Looks like I'm doing the Camino this Sept/Oct if I can get all my ducks in a row. I was born in Upstate N.Y. and moved here shortly after high school, but I like it out here better. The things they call mountains in N.Y. would be foothills out here. I ALWAYS use poles now.
Feel free to contact me if you find yourself in the west Sonoma area, Sacramento. It's delightful here in the redwoods and I always love chatting about the Camino while following a trail.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, walking poles take a percentage weight off the legs and knees, but at what cost to the rest of the body ie the cardio-vascular system?
What sport in the Olympics do athletes burn the most energy per minute?
It is cross-country skiing. Takes the most energy per minute to do. Using arms and legs. Total burn for the body.
Hey it is a walking silent meditation...not a cross-country burn-out ski race.
So when you adopt poles, you become a bit like a cross-country skier...no longer a slow walk in the woods...the energy use goes way up
If you go without poles and walk in a mindful, aligned and balanced way (Chi Walk) with your upper extremities
light as a feather and your arms and hands making the micro movements that help to balance you, then
at the end of the day only your legs are tired...not you upper body. Take poles and the whole body is tired.
Stabbing the ground with poles is aggressive walking, micro-movements with the arms and hand is ZEN.
The real power comes from the lower body, not the arms. The best golfers hit the ball with their hips.
Great skeet shooters are "lower body" shooters...the top of the body is fixed and it all comes from the lower body.
Why is it you never see a picture of an inuit/eskimo walking through the artic with walking poles?
But hey "one man,,,one Camino" For me the most important thing is conserving energy so poles just do not work for me.
Plus I like to have my hands free.
@Terry Callery, I don't know where you are getting some of this from, but in Australia the colloquial question that would be put to you is whether you are prepared to share the name of your supplier. The comparisons that you make seem to me completely inappropriate, eg no pole user I have seen is trying to be a cross country skier. As for golfers hitting the ball with their hips, well the image that generated in my mind was truly marvelous.

I would also suggest that if one wants to walk in silent meditation on the CF or any other relatively busy Spanish pilgrimage route, poles will be the least of your disruptions. While you might consider a pilgrimage to be walking in silent meditation, many don't, and wouldn't welcome the isolation that implies in any case.

There are shorter folks, with shorter legs and with pelvic girdles that are closer to the the surface of the earth. Seriously! Think about this. I have long-observed and watched who seemed to be making the best progress without poles.

It occurs to me that there is a geometric relationship between the distance, or height of one's pelvis & waist above the ground and one's relative stability over varied terrain. Year after year, I am in wonder over shorter pilgrims who can proceed like mountain goats even with heavy rucksacks, while I struggle to make way.

I'm not sure that this theory merits running up a computer simulation or anything, but its consistent with my experience as well. I bought a set of poles before my Camino, and diligently tried to use them. After a week or so, I found that they were just plain annoying to use, and felt unnatural. Now, swinging a golf club is also pretty unnatural feeling at first, but I managed to get that down with a lot of practice. Not so with the poles. After another week, I gave up, and threw them in the closet. When we were packing to leave, my wife who never even tried them insisted I take them any way, just in case. Grumble grumble, more weight to carry.

Sure enough, as we started that first descent into Roncesvalles, she decided that these might help her knees. Being the much better looking half, she of course has longer legs than I, and found the poles to be essential during the down hill stretches. By half way through the trail, she had become accustomed to them, and now wouldn't hit the trail without them. Me and my 28" inseam legs still have no use for them.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.