• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Porto to Santiago late Sept/Early Oct

fiona99

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Finnisterre and Muxia April/June 2015.
Camino Portuguese. Porto - ?? 2017.
Hi Guys
I am thinking of walking late Sept /early Oct but wondering if there will still be a good selection of Albergues open on the route Porto to Santiago.
I know the weather can be very unpredictable but would appreciate any info/experiences of walking this route during Sept/Oct.
Thank you

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Guys
I am thinking of walking late Sept /early Oct but wondering if there will still be a good selection of Albergues open on the route Porto to Santiago.
I know the weather can be very unpredictable but would appreciate any info/experiences of walking this route during Sept/Oct.
Thank you
Hi fiona99,

I will be walking the Portuguese from Lisbon starting around the 12th September and should make it to Porto around the 27th September, taking in the Caminho Fatima between Santarem and Alvalazere. I then plan to take the coastal route to Pontevedra and the Variante Espiritual from Pontevedra to Padron then get to Santiago on the 11th of October.

The weather could be changeable with rain, typical of the Atlantic coast, but should not be too cold. The accommodation should all remain open until at least the end of October.

Bom Caminho,

Mike

Hi Guys
Thank you

Hi,
I walked Porto to Santiago beginning of October last year, weather was really excellent, nice number of pilgrims, all albergues open. This was the central route and espiritual varient.
enjoy!
Aidan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi fiona99,

I will be walking the Portuguese from Lisbon starting around the 12th September and should make it to Porto around the 27th September, taking in the Caminho Fatima between Santarem and Alvalazere. I then plan to take the coastal route to Pontevedra and the Variante Espiritual from Pontevedra to Padron then get to Santiago on the 11th of October.

The weather could be changeable with rain, typical of the Atlantic coast, but should not be too cold. The accommodation should all remain open until at least the end of October.

Bom Caminho,

Mike
Thank you Mike.
I am not a fan of hot conditions, my first camino was walked in the heatwave of April/May 2015. Probably not reaching typical mid summer temperatures but too hot for me.
I am just in the very early planning stages, looking at possible date, flights ext so haven't had time to look at particular routes....but it is all very exciting. Possible dates are 20-24th Sept with flight back on Oct 10th. So doable without too much rush. Allergies will be next on my list but wanted to check availability firs.
Have a wonderful time Buen Caminho

Hi,
I walked Porto to Santiago beginning of October last year, weather was really excellent, nice number of pilgrims, all albergues open. This was the central route and espiritual varient.
enjoy!
Aidan
Thank you Aiden.

I too walked the central route from porto late sept , early oct last year ,,just a few months ago it feels like ,,and was mid 20s every day ,,no rain until I got to the cathedral in Santiago,, and then onto finesterre and muxia ,,, was a great time of year to walk,, perfect time to to it !!
ps I'm also planning another camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
oh,and everywhere everything was open ,,recommend Casa da Laura first night out in vilarinho

Hi Guys
Thank you
i started in PdL last year first week october and everything was awesome - even the weather
Buen Camino

oh,and everywhere everything was open ,,recommend Casa da Laura first night out in vilarinho
This thread was posted by the OP in the subforum Coastal route from Porto so Casa da Laura in Vilarinho is far away -on the original Central route out of Porto -from the Coastal path unless you fancy some extra kms.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked from Porto to Santiago starting in mid November 2016. All Albergues were open and there were other pilgrims around - maybe an average of five each night in the Albergue. The weather was good - I never had to use my waterproof as it only ever rained at night! I would recommend taking the metro out of Porto to Forum Maia then walking to the lovely albergue at Sao Pedro de Rates (donativo)

I walked from Porto to Santiago starting in mid November 2016. All Albergues were open and there were other pilgrims around - maybe an average of five each night in the Albergue. The weather was good - I never had to use my waterproof as it only ever rained at night! I would recommend taking the metro out of Porto to Forum Maia then walking to the lovely albergue at Sao Pedro de Rates (donativo)
Thanks Steve,
It sounds from all of the replies so far that Sept/Oct will be a good time to walk and its reassuring to know that accomodation will not be an issue.
I have been reading a lot of the other threads to get as much info as possible but I am getting a bit confused 're the number of routes that follow the coast, as it appears there may be two.
My next step is to buy a guide book and have a look at the stages and hopefully it will all become clear.

Hi Guys
Thank you
As you write, the weather is unpredictable but generally saying, at that time the weather is fine, I mean, not hot, not cold, not rainy, either. I did it from Valença to Santiago and albergues are not closed yet. This happens normally from November on. The Camino is of medium/low difficulty, excluding a section at Rubiães that is a bit hard to ascend. The landscape is not particularly beautiful, specially in Spain. You will not see many pilgrims as this Way is not so much walked as the French one. However, there are nice cities, not very big, but big enough to provide all you might need. Bon Camino...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you Isabel,
The weather sounds perfect I dislike walking in heat.
I walked Camino Frances in 2015 and was intending to return to do a part of it again with an interested friend, who perhaps might friend the Frances a little bit difficult.
The Portuguese appears to have a few options ( the fog is beginning to lift) as to how long you stay on the coastal route before joining the central, which I quite like the sound of.
I get the impression that it may be possible to walk shorter days on the central route and would appreciate any info regarding that if you have any.

Have walked both the internal and coastal, from Porto.
Both very rewarding, but I enjoyed the coastal more - great food and tho' quiet, friendliest Portuguese people. Weather was great.
There is an account of the coastal, on my blog:-
https://ensuitepilgrimblog.wordpress.com/
Archive, September ,2013; scroll down to start!

I have spreadsheet of accommodation if you are interested . NB, I don't use Albergues, if I can possibly avoid them!

Bom Camino.

Thank you Isabel,
The weather sounds perfect I dislike walking in heat.
I walked Camino Frances in 2015 and was intending to return to do a part of it again with an interested friend, who perhaps might friend the Frances a little bit difficult.
The Portuguese appears to have a few options ( the fog is beginning to lift) as to how long you stay on the coastal route before joining the central, which I quite like the sound of.
I get the impression that it may be possible to walk shorter days on the central route and would appreciate any info regarding that if you have any.
Well, it all depends on how you can endure long walking. I myself, have my own limits - 15 km daily - . Furthermore, as I'm very fond of photography I need time to walk and take photos. I never like walking in a hurry with no time to stop and smell the rose....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have walked both the internal and coastal, from Porto.
Both very rewarding, but I enjoyed the coastal more - great food and tho' quiet, friendliest Portuguese people. Weather was great.
There is an account of the coastal, on my blog:-
https://ensuitepilgrimblog.wordpress.com/
Archive, September ,2013; scroll down to start!

I have spreadsheet of accommodation if you are interested . NB, I don't use Albergues, if I can possibly avoid them!

Bom Camino.
I have never used albergues but hotels/hostals booked by a Spanish travel agency.

I too walked the central route from porto late sept , early oct last year ,,just a few months ago it feels like ,,and was mid 20s every day ,,no rain until I got to the cathedral in Santiago,, and then onto finesterre and muxia ,,, was a great time of year to walk,, perfect time to to it !!
ps I'm also planning another camino

Hi there,
I intend to walk the coastal route at the end of June, do you have any recommendations re albergues and is the route well signposted. Did you get the ferry and if so has this to be booked in advance. I am travelling alone so want to plan ahead. Would be grateful for any info you or anyone could share
Many Thanks,
Teresa

Hi there,
I intend to walk the coastal route at the end of June, do you have any recommendations re albergues and is the route well signposted. Did you get the ferry and if so has this to be booked in advance. I am travelling alone so want to plan ahead. Would be grateful for any info you or anyone could share
Many Thanks,
Teresa
On the coastal are some albergues. The route is well waymarked and if not the ocean is allways at your left. Can't go wrong.

The ferry has no reservations. It takes 10 minutes max to set you to the other side of the river.
But sometimes the ferry is not sailing due to the tides of the ocean.
There are fishermen who can set you to the other side in their small boats. Spectacular ! We liked it :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, it all depends on how you can endure long walking. I myself, have my own limits - 15 km daily - . Furthermore, as I'm very fond of photography I need time to walk and take photos. I never like walking in a hurry with no time to stop and smell the rose....
I have no idea at all, as Valença was my starting point...

This thread was posted by the OP in the subforum Coastal route from Porto so Casa da Laura in Vilarinho is far away -on the original Central route out of Porto -from the Coastal path unless you fancy some extra kms.
wooops ,, hadn't noticed the coastal route part,, I just got carried away thinking back on that camino ,,and then on my next !! cheers and buen camino

On the coastal are some albergues. The route is well waymarked and if not the ocean is allways at your left. Can't go wrong.

The ferry has no reservations. It takes 10 minutes max to set you to the other side of the river.
But sometimes the ferry is not sailing due to the tides of the ocean.
There are fishermen who can set you to the other side in their small boats. Spectacular ! We liked it :)

The coast is always on your left...as a non experienced navigator those words are a huge relief!
I am hoping to try a trip from Porto to Santiago,My intention might be to run(slowly...take some photos)....Seems like there is lots of information on the route....where to start
I can only go in August however which might be a little hot.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the advice another few questions if anyone can help,,can anyone recommend a nice albergue/hostel to stay in in Porto to begin my journey?I had thought that I would walk the coastal route but would the inland route be better equipped with albergues is it more popular. I walked from Sarria to Santiago and it was very popular and busy so I never felt alone , would that be the case travelling the Portuguese way. I intend to finish my camino in Finnesterre.

I'll be starting from Ponte de Lima the 26th or 27th of September. Looking forward to nice fall weather.

Thanks for the advice another few questions if anyone can help,,can anyone recommend a nice albergue/hostel to stay in in Porto to begin my journey?I had thought that I would walk the coastal route but would the inland route be better equipped with albergues is it more popular. I walked from Sarria to Santiago and it was very popular and busy so I never felt alone , would that be the case travelling the Portuguese way. I intend to finish my camino in Finnesterre.
It's completely different from the trails from Sarria to Santiago. There are few walkers on the Portuguese Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We walked along the coast in May and loved every minute. Yes, the sea on your left and the sun on your back. Both over 70 so 18 km a day was our comfort zone. Some hairy highway crossings and sometimes hotels because we couldn't find an albergue but still cheaper than our Frances Camino. Totally addicted.

Walked the CP from Lisboa late August into October of 2016. Fantastic weather. No problems with accomodation although if you walk the coastal route and want to take the Espiritual Variante and the boat up the river Ulla from Vilanova de Arousa, we found none too many pilgrims doing this at this time of year. I've heard it's an amazing experience since there are cruzeros in the river. Plus it's the way the body of St. James traveled. Was sorely disappointed. Anyway great time of year and not heavily pilgrimed!

Hi, I went last Sept from Porto to Santiago following the coastal route and getting the ferry across from Caminha to A Guarda. The weather was great and I think you will find more people on the CP than you think. Each year it seems to be getting more and more popular so even though I thought I was going to be alone I never was. Although there are fewer Albergues there are lots of hotels which are more expensive than Spain, I found.
Pope Francis is visiting Fatima this year which could swell numbers (and costs and availability of accommodation) on both the interior and parts of the coastal? I found the coastal route pleasantly busy enough, more so from A Guarda where a lot more people join the route, but certainly not of on the CF scale (even the meseta!)
It's a great walk if you enjoy the sound, smell and sight of the sea.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back