• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Portugues from Tui in late October

Binka33

Time of past OR future Camino
2018: CP: Tui to Santiago
2016: CF: SJPDP to Muxia
2013: CF: SJPDP to Burgos
Dear fellow pilgrims!
Do you have any experience with walking Camino Portugues from Tui to Santiago in late October? (i.e. weather, albergues (closed/ open), other things to prepare for?
I walked already Frances twice and Portugues but in late summer/ beginning of September when the crowds and weather is different. So I would like to know what is it like in autumn.
Many thanks for your help? 😊

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Walked the Central way from Santarem at the end of Oct and also Coastal from Porto in Jan. As you are starting in Galicia weather might be rainy, so take some rain gear with you. Although you might catch even some hot days there if you are lucky. Mild temteparures there even in Jan. All the municipal albergues are open, some private might be closing for the winter at the end of Oct- begining of Nov. Usually no bed rush at this time, no need to book ahead. Check the albergue list here: https://www.vialusitana.org/caminho/albergues If you are planning to stay only the municipal albergues take a sleeping bag. Portugues is actually perfect as a winter Camino as well. Bom Caminho! :)

Hi Binka, I did Tui to Santiago on my own late last October into November. Autumn was a gorgeous time of the year to walk.... enough pilgrims and accommodation was never full though I didn’t stay in albergues.
The others I spoke to had no problem getting into albergues though.
Mostly the weather was great though when it did rain it was torrential (Galicia, late autumn 🍂.....) Make sure to take a rain jacket.

It was such a beautiful walk that I finally persuaded my better half to do it with me this month. And what happened.... I’ve got plantar fasciitis that has put a stop to it! Rotten luck as think it may have happened through over training (something I don’t usually bother with!) Lesson learned!

Anyway you will have a great camino at this time of the year I’m sure.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear Surya! Many thanks for your feedback! Im so happy to hear that it can be a pleasant experience also in autumn!! 😊 I will definitely check the website!

QUOTE="surya8, post: 787681, member: 75133"]
Walked the Central way from Santarem at the end of Oct and also Coastal from Porto in Jan. As you are starting in Galicia weather might be rainy, so take some rain gear with you. Although you might catch even some hot days there if you are lucky. Mild temteparures there even in Jan. All the municipal albergues are open, some private might be closing for the winter at the end of Oct- begining of Nov. Usually no bed rush at this time, no need to book ahead. Check the albergue list here: https://www.vialusitana.org/caminho/albergues If you are planning to stay only the municipal albergues take a sleeping bag. Portugues is actually perfect as a winter Camino as well. Bom Caminho! :)
[/QUOTE]

Dear Katy! Many thanks for your encouragement! I already postponed my camino three times this year, so hopefully this time it will come true 😊 im so sorry about your issue but the body regenerates very well so I wish you quick recovery for an early camino return 😉

I am thinking about Oct 8th out of Porto. I'll see if I can find a better umbrella this time! In May my euroschirm snapped the first rain!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m leaving Porto October 6th - looking forward irrespective the weather! Rain gear already packed :)

I am thinking about the 7th now.

I like Daterra buffet in Porto.

poncho or umbrella or both? lol

I am thinking about the 7th now.

I like Daterra buffet in Porto.

poncho or umbrella or both? lol
My wife and I started in Porto 5 years ago on Oct 8th. We had 3 very heavy rain days, including the afternoon of our 1st day. A bit of an eye openner for rookie pelligenos, but it turned out yo be a wonderful trip. We had good ponchos which are a must. Not sure about an umbrella.
We are back on the trail this year starting in Le Puy France on October 18th so back at it, with ponchos ready.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A friend of mine recommended to me a trekking umbrella that can be fixed to the backpack while the hands hold the walking sticks as under classical raincoat you can sweat really a lot.
Im thinking also about poncho.
Do you have any preferred rain gear?

But I hope that wile will have some sunny days too! 😊
Buen camino in any weather!

I've had bad luck with umbrellas, my Euroshirm snapped the first serious rain last trip. I'll bring a small cheap one this time and probably a light poncho. trying to keep it to 7kg or so, most likely will go over that! lol

I like an umbrella.

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back