• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking portuguese coastal way alone

Zuzana23

Time of past OR future Camino
walked Portuguese coastal camino
Hello. I am planning on walking the Portuguese Coastal Way in July but I still have some doubts. Is it safe for a woman to walk this way alone? Or can you please give me some advice?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked along in 2015 and as they always say, you never walk alone on the Camino... especially not in July. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello. I am planning on walking the Portuguese Coastal Way in July but I still have some doubts. Is it safe for a woman to walk this way alone? Or can you please give me some advice?
Today in Santiago I met an18 yr old German girl in front of the cathedral; she’d just finished walking that Camino ”on her own”. But she bumped into many others each day - even in March. Also, when I put the same question to a Camino guide, he said its one of the safest things you can do. Buen caminos to us.

On the Camino Frances thread there is a current thread covering the same topic.
The response is that you shouldn't do it.
"Worry" that is.
Have fun enjoying the freedom of having only yourself to please and only yourself to care about for just a short time in your life.

I have walked French and Norte alone and loved it. Am walking the Portuguese with a friend now and would not hesitate to walk it alone. I have met 3 females walking by themselves. The only thing you have to worry about is all the barking dogs. Bom Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Beautiful route and safe; lots of people on this section.

Portugal is very safe to walk alone. But if you want company you can meet other pilgrims on the way and walk with them as well, on and off. It's a popular route and you'll meet plenty in July. I walked betwen Lisbon and Santiago and found the route from Porto much easier in many respects. Bom Caminho! :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.