• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Santiago to Muxia...question

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Hello!
After finishing in Santiago the middle of May, I'm now planning to walk on to Muxia...going by way of Negreira, Santa Marina, Dumbria. I prefer now to book accomodation ahead of time and only tend to use booking.com as I do not speak Spanish. I am only finding lodging in Negreira. Will my group of three be able to wing it for a bed in the other towns, staying in albergues? Is the route busy that time of year? Thanks for any suggestions.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Chrissy,
I am planning the same route a bit later than you ( although adding Muxia to Finnesterre after), and like you I prebook accommodation. For San Marina, Casa Jurja ( booking.com) is off trail but will pick you up and drop you back off, or else we might push further to Albergue Monte Aro which is on booking.com and has great reviews. In Dumbria there is Hotel Argentina argentinod@gmail.com. Please let me know how this works, Thanks.

Both the Albergues in Santa Maria accept bookings, Gronze has email & website details. You've got time to practice a little Spanish and maybe use Google Translate to draft an email request. The wonderful Xunta Albergue in Dumbria doesn't accept bookings but you'll have a feel for how busy the road is by then so you'll know whether to risk it or try www.oargentino.com.

Happy planning

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Chrissy,
I am planning the same route a bit later than you ( although adding Muxia to Finnesterre after), and like you I prebook accommodation. For San Marina, Casa Jurja ( booking.com) is off trail but will pick you up and drop you back off, or else we might push further to Albergue Monte Aro which is on booking.com and has great reviews. In Dumbria there is Hotel Argentina argentinod@gmail.com. Please let me know how this works, Thanks.
Thank you so much for the tips! I'll take a look! I did just reserve in Negreira on booking.com, so that one is taken care of.
We will be walking on after 2 nights in Muxia, 1 in Lires and 2 in Finesterre, which I've done twice before. Those lodgings have already been booked.
I will let you know how it works out and thanks again for your help!

Both the Albergues in Santa Maria accept bookings, Gronze has email & website details. You've got time to practice a little Spanish and maybe use Google Translate to draft an email request. The wonderful Xunta Albergue in Dumbria doesn't accept bookings but you'll have a feel for how busy the road is by then so you'll know whether to risk it or try www.oargentino.com.

Happy planning
Thank you, Tinky! I think I'm in good hands with your advice and @auburnfive's. Any special cafes serving good orujo? 😉

You must stay in the magnificent municipal albergue in Dumbria. When I was there in August of 2017 there were only a handful of pilgrims.
I also highly recommend Albergue Monte Aro in Lago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You must stay in the magnificent municipal albergue in Dumbria. When I was there in August of 2017 there were only a handful of pilgrims.

I would do these stages
Screenshot_20191108-081122_Buen Camino.jpgScreenshot_20191108-081141_Buen Camino.jpg

Thank you so much for the tips! I'll take a look! I did just reserve in Negreira on booking.com, so that one is taken care of.
We will be walking on after 2 nights in Muxia, 1 in Lires and 2 in Finesterre, which I've done twice before. Those lodgings have already been booked.
I will let you know how it works out and thanks again for your help!
Would you have recommendations for Lires and Finnesterre? Thanks!

I came across this place while searching for accommodation in Negreira - https://tinyurl.com/yxmq9bhw. I haven't stayed there myself but the reviews are positive. It looks like it's 1.5KM off the Camino itself but apparently they will pick up and drop off into town.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Cabo da Vila in Finisterre is a nice albergue that has dorms and private rooms. I think that you can get a better price if you book direct.

I've also stayed at Pensión Cabo which is right next to the US station in Finisterre. My room was very nice there.

In Lires I stayed at a nice pensión Liresca

A couple of years ago I stayed at As Eiras in the dorm.
I highly recommend the restaurant next to Cabañas de Lires.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Would you have recommendations for Lires and Finnesterre? Thanks!
*In Muxia- Hotel de Encanto A de Lolo twice, love it!
*In Lires- As Eiras Lires Hotel. A nice hotel with restaurant. Also stayed at Casa Rural, a nice bed and breakfast type place.
*In Finesterre- Mirador Finda Terra. Stayed twice and it is on top of a hill with outstanding views of the ocean. It reminded me of being in the Mediterranean.
I loved them all and do not hesitate to recommend them. I did not stay at any albergues.
Hope this gives you some places to consider.

Monte Aro is already fully sold out on my dates on booking.com

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Monte Aro is already fully sold out on my dates on booking.com

@auburnfive is probably right about the rooms not going up yet. There is no way in the world that these places are fully booked months ahead. And even if the rooms are up, Booking.com only gets access to a handful of rooms. I think it was a lawsuit that made them change their message. Now they no longer say — the hotel is fully booked. They say that — the hotel is fully booked on our site. BIG difference.

I agree with @trecile that it is better to contact the places directly. Booking.com takes a chunk out of the profit, too, and when we are dealing with small family places, there is not a lot of financial wiggle room for them, so avoiding the commission is meaningful.

Hello!
After finishing in Santiago the middle of May, I'm now planning to walk on to Muxia...going by way of Negreira, Santa Marina, Dumbria. I prefer now to book accomodation ahead of time and only tend to use booking.com as I do not speak Spanish. I am only finding lodging in Negreira. Will my group of three be able to wing it for a bed in the other towns, staying in albergues? Is the route busy that time of year? Thanks for any suggestions.
Good morning Chrissy.

I walked the Camino Ingles in mid-September and then continued on to Finisterre and Muxia in that order. I stayed at a very nice albergue in Negreira called the Albergue Alecrin. It was one of the best albergues I stayed in during my Camino. I did not have to pre-book at the Alecrin. Continuing my journey to Finisterre, I stayed at the Albergue Santa Marina (I did not pre-book that either) which was very nice and they provided an amazing dinner for 10 Euros. At the Albergue Santa Marina, I was able to stay in the smaller room in the separate building from the restaurant which had only 6 single beds and one bathroom. The next day was a long journey to Cee (about 34 km) and finally to Finisterre. I treated myself with a pension in Finisterre called the Hotel Rustica Prado da Vina. It was quite outstanding. It was a beautiful sunny day in Finisterre so I walked up to the lighthouse to take my photo at km 0.000 but I walked back down the road and watched the sunset at a beach called Mar de Fora. The Mar de Fora was a relatively short and easy walk from town on the other side of the peninsula. It was absolutely stunning! The next day I walked to Lires and stayed in a wonderful pension, Casa Lourido. They treated me exceptionally well and provided a lovely breakfast before I ventured out in the pouring rain to Muxia. Although it was cool and wet in Muxia, it was a beautiful place to visit. I stayed at the Albergue Arribada which I had pre-booked through booking.com. The next morning I took the early morning bus to Santiago. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I heard This very modern looking albergue was donated by the owner of Zara clothing shop and was built for $1,000,000....Amancio Ortega ( billionaire)....completed in September 2010....20klms away from Muxia on the route..., leather seats and underfloor heating.....
Love

Happy planning
Hi @Tincatinker
Just wanted to say I checked this link and it’s reading : service disactivated.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Try the email address
I had noticed that previously as well. Try the email argentinod@gmail.com which I came across somewhere. And please let me know if that gets through to them. We’re you able to find good accommodations in Negreira? Thanks
Hello Auburnfive,
I have made most all my accomodations through booking.com. and have not had to personally email any properties.
In Negreira we are staying at the private Albergue Bergando.
If you have any other questions, let me know.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back