• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking sep 16 - oct 18

tomerbella

Time of past OR future Camino
sep-oct 2013
hey!
my girlfriend and myself are planning to walk the camino frances on sep16-oct18 2013.
i would like to have opinions on the weather this time on the camino frances.
also we are coming from Madrid, so if anyone have experience of traveling by train to Pamplona...

any other info you think is valueble will be welcomed

have a good camino!

Tomer.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Tomerbella,
I know that I am not the right person for you, but there is a slight chance to meet each other on Camino.
I will start on 14th September this year. I'll fly from Liverpool to Madrid. On the same day maybe the next morning I will travel to Pamplona by train. On Sunday I will go to Roncesvalles. Maybe on Sunday, or the latest on Monday I will start my way to Santiago. At the end if there is time I would like to get to Finister.
On 18th October I have to finish my trip because next day I will have to fly back from Madrid to Liverpool.
Anyway I will celebrate my 61st birthday on my way. I am a Hungarian veterinary surgeon who lives in UK.
Regards,
George

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Gyuri52 said:
Hi Tomerbella,
I know that I am not the right person for you, but there is a slight chance to meet each other on Camino.
I will start on 14th September this year. I'll fly from Liverpool to Madrid. On the same day maybe the next morning I will travel to Pamplona by train. On Sunday I will go to Roncesvalles. Maybe on Sunday, or the latest on Monday I will start my way to Santiago. At the end if there is time I would like to get to Finister.
On 18th October I have to finish my trip because next day I will have to fly back from Madrid to Liverpool.
Anyway I will celebrate my 61st birthday on my way. I am a Hungarian veterinary surgeon who lives in UK.
Regards,
George

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

hey!
every person is the right person :)
we'll probably start our walk on the 17/9 from SJdP.. probably meet somewhere,sometime!
anyway my mom is Hungarian :) but i dont know the language.
thanks for the info and have a happy 61st birthday! my personal mail is tomerbella@gmail.com
also available in facebook etc...
best regards,
Tomer.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello comrades,

The larricka expedition looks forward to meeting all you September Camino's. My son and I start our adventure on 19-9-2013 in SJPdP leaving SFO on September 16th.

Consider taking the ALSA bus from the Barajas Airport (T4 Terminal) to the Pamplona Bus Station, which is just a couple hundred yards from the Camino. It takes 5-6 hours, but at 32 Euros, it is almost a straight arrow Madrid Airport to Camino. I found the buses in Spain to be clean and very, very comfortable.

As far as weather, there is no topic more discussed where there is nothing people really know less about! :D I ended up going this past May--started walking on May 18th from Logroño. Misty rain every morning, in the upper 40's, past 2pm maybe in the upper 50's, windy, cold, cold nights. I had grabbed a pair of gloves on my way out the door to the airport. It was my most cherished possession while waking the Camino. :wink: It was borderline miserable. I met a couple who had snow and sleet SJPDP-Roncesvalles and then SUNBURNED Pamplona to Puente La Reina! :shock: ....and that my friend is the weather this year at the Camino! Absolute and unpredictable craziness!! Even the locals are going cuckoo about it! :|

Larricka said:
Hello comrades,

The larricka expedition looks forward to meeting all you September Camino's. My son and I start our adventure on 19-9-2013 in SJPdP leaving SFO on September 16th.
hey there in san francisco!
hope to meet you all! as said we'll be starting on the sep17 but looking forward to see you!
keep safe!
best regards and keep in touch!
Tomer

mail: tomerbella@gmail.com
facebook: tomerbella

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Olivares said:
Consider taking the ALSA bus from the Barajas Airport (T4 Terminal) to the Pamplona Bus Station, which is just a couple hundred yards from the Camino. It takes 5-6 hours, but at 32 Euros, it is almost a straight arrow Madrid Airport to Camino. I found the buses in Spain to be clean and very, very comfortable.

As far as weather, there is no topic more discussed where there is nothing people really know less about! :D I ended up going this past May--started walking on May 18th from Logroño. Misty rain every morning, in the upper 40's, past 2pm maybe in the upper 50's, windy, cold, cold nights. I had grabbed a pair of gloves on my way out the door to the airport. It was my most cherished possession while waking the Camino. :wink: It was borderline miserable. I met a couple who had snow and sleet SJPDP-Roncesvalles and then SUNBURNED Pamplona to Puente La Reina! :shock: ....and that my friend is the weather this year at the Camino! Absolute and unpredictable craziness!! Even the locals are going cuckoo about it! :|
thank you for the info!
the reason i was asking is because everyone had different experience with mother nature
hope ours will be fine :wink:
did you get to SJPdP? and how you did it effectively? we probably will arrive pamplona from madrid around 18:00 or 19:00...

did you get to SJPdP? and how you did it effectively?
I started my Camino at SJPDP and I STRONGLY recommend that if you have flexibility to start from SJPDP on good weather, that is the way to go. Otherwise, think about starting at Roncesvalles. I can certainly see this section be flat out extreme in bad weather conditions. I did quite a bit of training on an elliptical machine and this proved to be the perfect training routine for the camino as it trained the muscle groups most used during long walks. Honest to God, I had never walked more than 5 miles at a time in my life and I finished SJPDP to Roncesvalles in 6-7 hours and felt amazing.

tomerbella said:
hey!
my girlfriend and myself are planning to walk the camino frances on sep16-oct18 2013.

Tomer.

We all know that weather predictions this far in advance are uncertain but with history as a guide I would think this is the absolute best time to walk the Camino.

Aside from weather, there are fewer crowds than in summer. There remain longer hours or daylight than later in the year, with people in the passing villages and cities still outdoors and alive with activity. There is no mud from snowmelt, which added to rain, snow and everything else can be a factor when walking in early spring.

My take again - you selected the best period of time to plan your Camino. Second alternative would in my opinion be the month of May.

And your question as to transport from Madrid to Pamplona, I've taken the bus and agree that it is convenient from the airport and a comfortable ride.

Buen Camino to you and your amiga!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, Tomer!

Last year I started from SJPP on the 29th of September so my experience was perhaps a bit different than what you can expect. I think your weather may be better.

Peregrinos who started ahead of me by 5 or 6 days had a totally different experience than I did - more heat, less cold and rain... but the probability of extremes is quite low, all the way to SdC.

Should you wish to try the Route Napoleon over the Pyrenees, a night at Orisson is a good "safety" and a wonderful experience in its own right. Accommodations are good and the group meal and time for sharing is wonderful. Personally, that evening alone made me feel much better about having taken a lot of wrong turns to wind up on the Way!

Just so you know, I am not a "casual" hiker - I do not take weather for granted! Rain pants, waterproof coat, catalytic hand warmer and a bivouac bag (in event of having to sleep outside in bad conditions) were part of my kit.

The funny part of "wasted weight" in my pack? The prescription sunglasses I picked up for the meseta! Never used... it was a long push through wet, grey and cold instead. So much for expecting anything!

Buen Camino!

B

simply B said:
Hi, Tomer!

Last year I started from SJPP on the 29th of September so my experience was perhaps a bit different than what you can expect. I think your weather may be better.

Peregrinos who started ahead of me by 5 or 6 days had a totally different experience than I did - more heat, less cold and rain... but the probability of extremes is quite low, all the way to SdC.

Should you wish to try the Route Napoleon over the Pyrenees, a night at Orisson is a good "safety" and a wonderful experience in its own right. Accommodations are good and the group meal and time for sharing is wonderful. Personally, that evening alone made me feel much better about having taken a lot of wrong turns to wind up on the Way!

Just so you know, I am not a "casual" hiker - I do not take weather for granted! Rain pants, waterproof coat, catalytic hand warmer and a bivouac bag (in event of having to sleep outside in bad conditions) were part of my kit.

The funny part of "wasted weight" in my pack? The prescription sunglasses I picked up for the meseta! Never used... it was a long push through wet, grey and cold instead. So much for expecting anything!

Buen Camino!

B

well thats a true eye opener... thanks for sharing your experience, i would not take mother nature for granted!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
duffs said:
Hi Tomer,
I too will start from SJJP on the 17th Sept,see ya there :))

Bernie.

hey!! see you there! probably we'll start side by side!
tomerbella@gmail or tomer bella on facebook if you wanna talk and share info and stuff...

markss said:
tomerbella said:
hey!

Tomer.

We all know that weather predictions this far in advance are uncertain but with history as a guide I would think this is the absolute best time to walk the Camino.

Aside from weather, there are fewer crowds than in summer. There remain longer hours or daylight than later in the year, with people in the passing villages and cities still outdoors and alive with activity. There is no mud from snowmelt, which added to rain, snow and everything else can be a factor when walking in early spring.

My take again - you selected the best period of time to plan your Camino. Second alternative would in my opinion be the month of May.

And your question as to transport from Madrid to Pamplona, I've taken the bus and agree that it is convenient from the airport and a comfortable ride.

Buen Camino to you and your amiga!

thanks for all the info! very useful ,detailed and to the point
:)

Hello Tomer!

I'm a brazilian biologist, and will start my camino in SJPdP September 16th. I'm gonna stop at Orisson, so we have a great chance to bump in each other. Looking forward to meet you! See you there!

Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey Tomerbella,
We (me and hubby) are heading out of SJPP on Sept 18, we're spending a night in Bordeaux and then one in SJPP before we head out Sept 18th. I'm sure we will run into you guys somewhere along the way. We are spending some extra time in Madrid to relax before we head home on Oct 29. We're from British Columbia Canada, and are watching the weather as well. I think we will bring a little of everything to wear as it looks like we may have weird weather if the weather so far this year is any indication. The news the other night said that they are predicting a late summer with hot temps well into September in Europe.....wouldn't that be nice!!! Keeping fingers crossed.

I walked from Pamplona to Burgos then from Sarria to Santiago last Sept. It was VERY HOT. temps were in the 90's. also very crowded. It was like a race to get a bed in the albergues. people were leaving at 4:30am to avoid the heat and to get their place in line at noon;only to have to wait until 2:00 for the albergue to open in many places. I decided to stay in hotels instead... I met others who were happy to share the cost of a room. there is an Alsa bus station at the Madrid airport that goes to Pamplona at different times each day. and now there are busses going from Pamplona to SJPDP every day too.
In Viana there is a running of the bulls fest on the 2nd Sunday of Sept.the bulls are let loose at 2:00pm and at night >> Awesome festival!! even had a big bandstand,strobe lights,smoke pots and a trio of beautiful Spanish ladies singing. plus~~ FREE WINE.

In 2011 we walked from mid Sept to mid October. We didn't see one drop of rain and the temperatures were over 30 degrees during the first week or so. On one day, the temp reached 36 degrees. Way too hot! Last year, same period, the first week was hot and then we had a lot of rain. In 2009, same period, we had what I would consider usual weather for that time if the year ( some days hot and, as the season begins to reach the Autumn, fresh mornings, some days rain and many days beautiful, sunny and fresh. Ideal for walking. Buen Camino! Anne

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
rafadamian said:
Hello Tomer!

I'm a brazilian biologist, and will start my camino in SJPdP September 16th. I'm gonna stop at Orisson, so we have a great chance to bump in each other. Looking forward to meet you! See you there!

Buen camino!

i'm a pavement designer :) (asphalt engineer)
see you there my friend! take care!

Canucks said:
Hey Tomerbella,
We (me and hubby) are heading out of SJPP on Sept 18, we're spending a night in Bordeaux and then one in SJPP before we head out Sept 18th. I'm sure we will run into you guys somewhere along the way. We are spending some extra time in Madrid to relax before we head home on Oct 29. We're from British Columbia Canada, and are watching the weather as well. I think we will bring a little of everything to wear as it looks like we may have weird weather if the weather so far this year is any indication. The news the other night said that they are predicting a late summer with hot temps well into September in Europe.....wouldn't that be nice!!! Keeping fingers crossed.

hey! we'll join you with crossed fingers as well :)
hope to see you guys there!

emv0816 said:
I walked from Pamplona to Burgos then from Sarria to Santiago last Sept. It was VERY HOT. temps were in the 90's. also very crowded. It was like a race to get a bed in the albergues. people were leaving at 4:30am to avoid the heat and to get their place in line at noon;only to have to wait until 2:00 for the albergue to open in many places. I decided to stay in hotels instead... I met others who were happy to share the cost of a room. there is an Alsa bus station at the Madrid airport that goes to Pamplona at different times each day. and now there are busses going from Pamplona to SJPDP every day too.
In Viana there is a running of the bulls fest on the 2nd Sunday of Sept.the bulls are let loose at 2:00pm and at night >> Awesome festival!! even had a big bandstand,strobe lights,smoke pots and a trio of beautiful Spanish ladies singing. plus~~ FREE WINE.

great info! thank you so much!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
annakappa said:
In 2011 we walked from mid Sept to mid October. We didn't see one drop of rain and the temperatures were over 30 degrees during the first week or so. On one day, the temp reached 36 degrees. Way too hot! Last year, same period, the first week was hot and then we had a lot of rain. In 2009, same period, we had what I would consider usual weather for that time if the year ( some days hot and, as the season begins to reach the Autumn, fresh mornings, some days rain and many days beautiful, sunny and fresh. Ideal for walking. Buen Camino! Anne

hey Anne!
thanks for the info and sharing your experience.. the video looks great and made us hyper for the camino!!!!
nice pics...
cheers!

I'm pushing off from SJPP on 9/18, walking to Orrison for a short first day. From Maryland, will turn 61 before i reach Santiago. Perhaps I'll meet some of you along the way.
Jim

I will be starting just a couple days ahead of you. Coming from the Mountains of Northern Colorado through Paris and then begin in SJPP on the 13th. It's my first hike of this length; I have been walking 8 to 10 miles 3 times a week for about 14 months now. I am excited and a little scared to being doing this solo. But all adventures in life are good.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am leaving Calif. on Sept. 12 and returning home from Madrid Oct. 29. I am leaving St. Jean Sept. 15 and spending the night at Orisson before heading on to Roncesvalles. I'm sure I will see many of you along the way. Can't wait!

tomerbella said:
annakappa said:

hey Anne!
thanks for the info and sharing your experience.. the video looks great and made us hyper for the camino!!!!
nice pics...
cheers!
Hi Tomerbella, that video was made up of our two walks in 2097/2008 and in the Spring.Not the one of 2011, when the weather was so incredibly hot!

luvtraveling said:
I am leaving Calif. on Sept. 12 and returning home from Madrid Oct. 29. I am leaving St. Jean Sept. 15 and spending the night at Orisson before heading on to Roncesvalles. I'm sure I will see many of you along the way. Can't wait!

hope to catch you on the way! have a safe trip!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
djkernes said:
I will be starting just a couple days ahead of you. Coming from the Mountains of Northern Colorado through Paris and then begin in SJPP on the 13th. It's my first hike of this length; I have been walking 8 to 10 miles 3 times a week for about 14 months now. I am excited and a little scared to being doing this solo. But all adventures in life are good.

solo is relative cause you can have yourself a pack of friends in minutes if you want... :)
hope to meet u there!

Milepost99 said:
I'm pushing off from SJPP on 9/18, walking to Orrison for a short first day. From Maryland, will turn 61 before i reach Santiago. Perhaps I'll meet some of you along the way.
Jim

you probably will and i hope we can make a celebration out of it! happy birthday if we wont meet..

WIll be walking solo starting from SJPP around the 15th of September. Might see some of you guys there!

Chris

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola everyone, I am a writer from Oregon - Hope very much to meet some of you along the way. I'm leaving SJPdP around September 20th +(/- a few days) and will be in Spain until 13th of November. Buen Camino.

Hola

I am leaving St jean Sept 18th .. stopping at Orisson.. will spend my 57th birthday Somewhere.... hopefully "celebrating" with new friends :)

Annie

I will also be that way around the 12th of Sept....this is getting so exciting!!!!!!! Solo...but with all of you! :lol:
Ordered lots of basic stuff today...getting airlines ticket this week...
READY!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
hey!
also we are coming from Madrid, so if anyone have experience of traveling by train to Pamplona...

any other info you think is valueble will be welcomed

have a good camino!

Tomer.
I walked the Camino in 2015 starting in SJPPD on September 17 and ending in Burgos on October 3rd. I couldn't have asked for better weather. I had one morning of a light drizzle, but I didn't even bother to put my rain gear on. I'm picking the Camino back up on September 18th from Burgos and am hopeful that the weather is just as great this year as last year's wonderful weather! Good luck with your planning and buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.