• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking shoes (not boot's)

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
I've done the portuguese Caminho this year, and I realised that the use of boot's it's not so necessary has that.

Many people after hearing my description of how my ankles were sored after the Caminho, advised me to buy some walking shoes/trainers.

I've found many brands here in Portugal, like Merrell, Salomon, The North Face, etc etc.

But I've now find Karrimor, and they seem to have very good products. Does anybody in here have done any Caminho with Karrimor products (in this case, shoes)? Are they good for the price?

Best regards
Diogo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Diogo, I wore North Face running shoes in 2009 and am wearing the same pair (!!!) for the Camino Primitivo this year.

Mine have walked literally thousands of miles and I wouldn't consider anything other than these!

Downsides: they let water in
Upside: they dry super quick, they're lightweight and comfortable

The discussion between "shoe lovers" and "boot lovers" goes on ad infinitum! Personally I would not want to walk these tracks without some ankle support. Lightweight boots do the job! If you are looking for suitable footwear, check out the terrain as well as the strength (or otherwise) of your ankles. Turning an ankle could lead to the termination of your camino!

Bueno Camino
Tio Tel

Attachments

• reservoir 12-16.jpg
    reservoir 12-16.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 921
  • P de P 5.jpg
    P de P 5.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 920
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
First of all, thank you for your answers.

I've already done the Portuguese Caminho, and I'm intending to do it next year again, so that's why I'm asking for a good pair of hiking shoes and not boot's, because I've noticed that at least for the Portuguese, boot's are not so necessary has that.

I'm intending to buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Tec-Mens-Figar ... B008RIL1WI

Best Regards
Diogo

I did the portugues en the Le Puy till SJPdP and I'm very much in favour of shoes too. The lighter the better for me and never had any problem with my ankles. But that's a very personal thing too. If high boots hurt, I think trying with shoes is a very good idea. And yes, off course, there will be some (small) parts where boots would be nice too, to me it was never worth it.

I do have salomon's, I don't know the karrimore. The link you send is about a pair of Hi-Tec.
Personally, I always go to a shop because I want to feel and fit the shoe before I make a choice.
Shoes are with thin an more rigid soles. I recommend the more strong and rigid sole. For me they are more comfortable on paths with smalle stones

Thomas1962, that was what I noticed too. Ok, there were some situations that probably the boots are better indicated for that type of terrain, BUT I think that in 80% of the trail you can use a good pair of walking shoes.

About the Karrimor, well, I talked to other people and they only advised me their boots, they say that the shoes are not so good has that.

For the Hi-Tec shoes, I've seen a lot of good reviews online, almost only positive ones, so I'll try them. They have a upper model, but that it's a little bit too much for me, and for weekend trekking puroposes only, I think I'll stay with the lower model. I was supposed to buy something from Salomon or North Face, but both brands are extremely expensive here in Portugal.

Best Regards
Diogo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Diogo92 said:
I've done the portuguese Caminho this year, and I realised that the use of boot's it's not so necessary has that.
Many people after hearing my description of how my ankles were sored after the Caminho, advised me to buy some walking shoes/trainers.
I've found many brands here in Portugal, like Merrell, Salomon, The North Face, etc etc.
But I've now find Karrimor, and they seem to have very good products. Does anybody in here have done any Caminho with Karrimor products (in this case, shoes)? Are they good for the price?
Best regards
Diogo

Yupp,, I do have and its my one of the favorite of all,, I normally wear these for my jogging and sometimes as a party wear :wink: Camino, You won't believe I regularly used to go for a morning walk for about 2 or 3 miles that with these only but till now I haven't found any kind of problems!! The most lovable thing of these brands is that they get dry very quickly, plus as they're lightweight due to which while walking it feels like there is something spongy that pushes you upwards :p and regarding its comfortability its really awesome!!
Jeffrey Campbell shoes

Last edited:
kellymadi, which brand are you talking about? Karrimor? Or Salomon?

Best Regards
Diogo

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have been advised, by a person who has hiked extensively on the Bruce Trail in Canada and various Appalachian Trails in the US, that one of the best pieces of footware available for long distance walking is Timberland brands White Ledge boots. Has anyone on this site had any experience with these boots? If yes, I would appreciate any opinions on the White Ledge item. Thanks in advance.

kellymadi, I can't find any information about that brand. Do you know if they have any website?

vindi57, I've had a pair of Timberland boots once, but it has already passed a couple of years (about 5 or 6 to be a little bite more precise). But for what people say, they are very good.

P.S: My Hi-Tec Figaro arrived today, I cannot wait to try them on :D

Best Regards
Diogo

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.