• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Shorter Stages from Lisbon to Porto

peregrina2000

Staff member
If you are intrigued by the idea of walking from Lisbon to Santiago, but are put off by the fact that there are many days of 30+km between Lisbon and Porto, worry no more. The attached document can help you shorten those stages.

Yes, I know, I started another thread with this same name a few weeks ago. Well, after a lot of help and input from Portugal and the forum, I have come up with a much better document. So I asked a moderator to delete the entire old thread.

So here is the latest information, as concise as we could make it, to help you. I think there are actually some forum members out there now testing this document (some copies were seen in Santarem a few days ago in the hands of English-speaking pilgrims:)). Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Bom caminho to everyone, and thanks to all of the people who contributed! Laurie

UPDATE: Oct. 2014. I've posted this document in the resources section, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/short-stages-from-lisbon-to-porto.133/ and removed it from this thread so that there will be only one source to go to for updates and revisions. Always very happy to get comments and changes from any satisfied or dissatisfied users. Thanks, Laurie

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many thanks Laurie for your work on this document. I am setting off from Lisbon on 1 May, so for me it is very timely.

If you are intrigued by the idea of walking from Lisbon to Santiago, but are put off by the fact that there are many days of 30+km between Lisbon and Porto, worry no more. The attached document can help you shorten those stages.

Yes, I know, I started another thread with this same name a few weeks ago. Well, after a lot of help and input from Portugal and the forum, I have come up with a much better document. So I asked a moderator to delete the entire old thread.

So here is the latest information, as concise as we could make it, to help you. I think there are actually some forum members out there now testing this document (some copies were seen in Santarem a few days ago in the hands of English-speaking pilgrims:)). Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Bom caminho to everyone, and thanks to all of the people who contributed! Laurie
Great job Laurie and the members of the workgroup who contributed !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Many thanks Laurie for your work on this document. I am setting off from Lisbon on 1 May, so for me it is very timely.

Thanks, magwood. I hope you will let us know if there are changes or improvements to be made. BTW, I only one know one of the albergue owners who have gotten together to provide the "pick and drop" service, but if the others are even half as helpful and kind as Mario in Santarem Hostel, you will be extremely well taken care of on that part of the Caminho! Bom caminho, Laurie

Laurie

On April 25th me and my wife we will stay in Golegã (Albergue Sol Duro).

Bom caminho

Laurie

On April 25th me and my wife we will stay in Golegã (Albergue Sol Duro).

Bom caminho
Nice place to stay. nice owner (a lady ) kind big dogs don't harm anybody.
We loved the place Ask for the restaurant not far from where Solo Duro is. A good meal and the best cappucino we 've got in Portugal.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Laurie, you've hited the spot! Loved it :)

When are you going to be back in Lisbon?

Laurie, you've hited the spot! Loved it :)

When are you going to be back in Lisbon?

Hi, Diogo,
Hope this is useful to people, and I really hope to get feedback (hint hint, to all of you who download this), since it's kind of a test document. So send feedback.

I'll be back next Spring, probably March or April. And will go on a pastel de nata binge with you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have heard from sources in Santarém and Lisboa that pilgrims are appearing on the Caminho with this document in hand. I really hope anyone who uses it can give good feedback because I'm sure there are ways to improve it. Muito obrigada, Laurie
Well done Laurie and allready a succes though ! Indeed I hope there are coming more pilgrims who start in Lisbon.
Great initiative of Mario !

Well. If I speak people who know about your document , I let you know

Best regards from this peregrino who is starting in Ferrol shortly

Last edited:
Yeap, I've seen it yesterday :)

Last edited:
Downloaded and will read it shortly! :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I received an email asking about this document, which has been referred to by someone in someplace. Not sure where, but I thought I would bring it up again.

And here is an addition, thanks to amorfati -- there is a good place to stay in Porto Muge, half way between Azambuja and Santarem (which is Day 3 on the "standard stages"). Quinta da Marchanta, tel. 243-749-279. 20 € Highly recommended.

And as always, suggestions and updates are most welcome!

I received an email asking about this document, which has been referred to by someone in someplace. Not sure where, but I thought I would bring it up again.

And here is an addition, thanks to amorfati -- there is a good place to stay in Porto Muge, half way between Azambuja and Santarem (which is Day 3 on the "standard stages"). Quinta da Marchanta, tel. 243-749-279. 20 € Highly recommended.

And as always, suggestions and updates are most welcome!

And there is also a new public Albergue in Azambuja, and there is a possibility of opening an Albergue in Porto de Muge :rolleyes:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you so much. We are just starting our planning to leave Lisbon at the end of August. Last year we averaged 20km per day on the Camino Frances and the challenges of the long stages from Lisbon to Porto were a concern as I know my limitations....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you so much. We are just starting our planning to leave Lisbon at the end of August. Last year we averaged 20km per day on the Camino Frances and the challenges of the long stages from Lisbon to Porto were a concern as I know my limitations....
Hi, Joanne,
I think you will find that with a little planning and ingenuity, the 20 km stages are easy to keep to. I would also recommend that you contact Mario at Santarem Hostel directly (all the info is in the resource guide) because he will be very happy to help you plan the stages that work best for you. There is a close knit bunch of pilgrims on the forum who have walked from Lisbon and who are always happy to answer questions, so fire away! Bom caminho, Laurie

There are several possibilities to get from one to the other place to sleep.
If you have Laurie's guide or John John Brierley's one, you'll see that from one to the next place sometimes it will be 30 kms.
When we walked in 2013, sometimes we took a train or a bus for a couple of kms.to shorten the hike to a daily 20 kms.
Mario, owner of the Santarèm hostal provides a pickup service and works together with some other hostals .
Bom caminho

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back