• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking SJPP-Santiago starting Sep15

Gene Reinecke

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018
Hello:
I wish to leave SJPP 15 Sep. Can I get comments on availability of Albuerges, food and weather from those of you who have walked in late September/early October?
Thanks
EJR

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We started a week earlier last year and found the first few days a bit crowded. Booking a few days ahead will take the preasure off of racing for a bed each day. We were told that it's one of the busiest times for people starting in SJPdP, but not all of those people plan to finish in the same year. Couldn't have asked for better weather. Only a few hours of rain the entire trip (experience will vary). Make sure to keep your water supply full. If you're not in a hurry, consider stopping early to get out of sync with the people following the guides. Towns before and after "traditional" stops will probably have more availability

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I started Sept 13th, 2017. There were at least a couple of spots where pilgrims without reservations were having to bus/taxi back or forward to find accommodations. I also made it a point to stay in touch with folks I had met along the journey via WhatsApp who ended up ahead & behind me who could give me a real-time report if they were in a "bubble". I adjusted accordingly. I also stayed out of the Brierly stages. The combo equated to no issues for me. I'll be doing the same again this Sept.

Its likely to be Roncesvalles and Zubiri with accommodations issues in the first few days. After that it becomes easier and people spread out. You could book ahead for those villages if you want peace of mind.

I start a few days after you and have booked my first three nights so I can get out of sync with Brierly stages.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello:
I wish to leave SJPP 15 Sep. Can I get comments on availability of Albuerges, food and weather from those of you who have walked in late September/early October?
Thanks
EJR
Maybe waiting until Monday the 16th will be good. That will make you be a bit behind the greater number of weekend starters and you will only be competing with beds further on with the slower walkers in that group.

Last edited:
I have also read the many posts here and elsewhere about the crowds early in the walk, so I have booked SJPP to Pamplona using booking.com or online via recommendations from other pilgrims.

I have also read the many posts here and elsewhere about the crowds early in the walk, so I have booked SJPP to Pamplona using booking.com or online via recommendations from other pilgrims.
I leave SJPP on the 18th and have booked thru booking thruPamplona as well. Not using Brierly recommendations for any stops.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am starting in Burgos on September 23rd to finish the Camino I started two years ago in SJPP. I just have my first night booked when I arrive in Burgos other than that I plan to wing it. Since most days last time I wanted to walk more each day and I pre booked from SJPP to Burgos.

I have also walked Sept/Oct and loved it, I am going back this Sept. and owing to bad knee and back issue I have booked Orisson and also Roncevalles Albergues. Got my confirmation back on both. Considering Zubiri too since I may be on a bit of a crawl after that descent to town. Also there is access to the river there by the bridge.....mmmmm --)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back