• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Solo on the Camino Portugues?

Stripey Socks

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello Fellow Pilgrims
After walking the Camino Frances last year, I am hooked! Am now looking at the Camino Portugues starting in mid-September 2014 starting from Lisbon.

My reading/research shows that this is a much quieter path than Camino Frances which will be a good thing and a pleasant change. However, the Camino Frances cancelled any aspirations my husband had of ever walking anywhere ever again (!!) so I will be walking this path on my own.

What are your thoughts about personal safety with so few pilgrims about? I don't mind my own company and take a sensible approach to traveling on my own but I see there are some long distances involved in this Camino, stretches between towns etc.

I would appreciate your thoughts and comments. Thanks in advance

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked solo from Oporto last spring, there very few pilgrims about and I was the only one in an albergue once, but I never felt unsafe. Everybody was very friendly, in Portugal particularly, that I met.

The whole of the inland Portuguese camino is great: very quiet and peaceful [until the last 100 kms!] and I would happily walk it all again, were I not planning the camino Ingles this year! Diaries of the camino can be found on my web site in "Word" format. There are also links to a thousand photographs.
If Stripy Socks needs any further help or comments, then just ask - always happy to help :)
Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Fellow Pilgrims
After walking the Camino Frances last year, I am hooked! Am now looking at the Camino Portugues starting in mid-September 2014 starting from Lisbon.

My reading/research shows that this is a much quieter path than Camino Frances which will be a good thing and a pleasant change. However, the Camino Frances cancelled any aspirations my husband had of ever walking anywhere ever again (!!) so I will be walking this path on my own.

What are your thoughts about personal safety with so few pilgrims about? I don't mind my own company and take a sensible approach to traveling on my own but I see there are some long distances involved in this Camino, stretches between towns etc.

Hi Stripey Socks,
I walked the Portuguese Way from Porto last April and will be walking it again this April starting Easter Sunday. My experience was that it was very safe and everyone we met along the way was very friendly and helpful.
My thoughts are that you will be safe and you will most likely meet up with other pilgrims as you walk.
Wish you well.
Bon Camino

PS where in Australia are you?

Hi Stripey Socks. I share your qualms about walking this route solo. I posed a similar question in a thread earlier this month and received some very positive feedback. See here http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/index.php?threads/New Year decisions!.23370/

Have now booked my ticket to arrive in Lisbon on 30 April. I shall be reporting daily on my blog if you want to follow it.
Magwood, I'll be starting my walk from Oporto May 13. Perhaps we'll see each other on the camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Stripey Socks.
Portuguese people are very friendly and helpful ( except the government ones )
You must convince you husbend to come too :) probably he already forgot the Camino Francês.
Ther´s a lot less albergues than in Spain. But there are http://microsites.juventude.gov.pt/Portal/pt/default.htm (you must call firt because the site usualy is not updated). And you can try www.couchsurfing.org or even https://pt.warmshowers.org/ . I´m registred at this last one and I´ll be happy to host you and your husband for a day or two .
Bom Caminho (in Portuguese)

Hi StripySocks,
I walked with two Camino friends from Lisbon to Santiago this past fall. It was an intense, amazing and completely unforgettable time. I will go back sometime to do it over again, by myself. The Portuguese are wonderful people and very helpful. You would be quite fine to walk by yourself, I do believe!

Hi Stripey Socks.
Portuguese people are very friendly and helpful ( except the government ones )
You must convince you husbend to come too :) probably he already forgot the Camino Francês.
Ther´s a lot less albergues than in Spain. But there are http://microsites.juventude.gov.pt/Portal/pt/default.htm (you must call firt because the site usualy is not updated). And you can try www.couchsurfing.org or even https://pt.warmshowers.org/ . I´m registred at this last one and I´ll be happy to host you and your husband for a day or two .
Bom Caminho (in Portuguese)

hi i surgest you get brierley lisboa porto guide from lisbon you will meet very few pilgrims.but the locals are nice an friendly long days on pavements and roads from lisbon to porto take care plan well book ahead lisbon to porto each day john.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Stripey Socks,
I think you should think of the Camino Portugues from Lisboa as several caminos in one. From Lisbon to Porto you will meet at most a handful of people (I walked in alone in 2009, and I met no other pilgrim, but I can tell you I had absolutely no worry about personal safety). From Porto to the border, it's kind of the warm-up for the big burst of people, you're likely to have a steady stream, but maybe just a trickle. Then in Tui/Valenca -- BAM, the crowds. This part is among the most heavily traveled, if not the most heavily traveled, outside the Frances.

I love Portugal, I love the Camino, and I think the Portuguese people are among the kindest on the planet, so my opinions may not be too objective. But the part south of Porto has some wonderful places -- Tomar and its convent, Coimbra and its ancient university, the Roman ruins in Conimbriga and the Roman villa at Rabacal, and there are lots of little villages to enjoy.

The CSJ has two online guides that may help you, one from Lisbon to Porto and the other from Porto to Santiago. I have updated them as of this January and they are in the process of getting them ready to post online. If you or anyone wants the updated versions (which I have only in a word format, not in booklet format), please PM me with your email address and I'll send them to you. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Stripey Socks,
I walked the Portuguese Way from Porto last April and will be walking it again this April starting Easter Sunday. My experience was that it was very safe and everyone we met along the way was very friendly and helpful.
My thoughts are that you will be safe and you will most likely meet up with other pilgrims as you walk.
Wish you well.
Bon Camino

Thanks Vasco. I live in rural NSW - about 4 hours drive west of Sydney.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Stripey Socks,
I think you should think of the Camino Portugues from Lisboa as several caminos in one. From Lisbon to Porto you will meet at most a handful of people (I walked in alone in 2009, and I met no other pilgrim, but I can tell you I had absolutely no worry about personal safety). From Porto to the border, it's kind of the warm-up for the big burst of people, you're likely to have a steady stream, but maybe just a trickle. Then in Tui/Valenca -- BAM, the crowds. This part is among the most heavily traveled, if not the most heavily traveled, outside the Frances.

I love Portugal, I love the Camino, and I think the Portuguese people are among the kindest on the planet, so my opinions may not be too objective. But the part south of Porto has some wonderful places -- Tomar and its convent, Coimbra and its ancient university, the Roman ruins in Conimbriga and the Roman villa at Rabacal, and there are lots of little villages to enjoy.

The CSJ has two online guides that may help you, one from Lisbon to Porto and the other from Porto to Santiago. I have updated them as of this January and they are in the process of getting them ready to post online. If you or anyone wants the updated versions (which I have only in a word format, not in booklet format), please PM me with your email address and I'll send them to you. Buen camino, Laurie

Many thanks Laurie. I have read the Brierley guide a couple of times to get the feel for the terrain and a few of the highlights along the way. In some ways I am looking forward to it being quieter. Our 'stroll' from St Jean Pied de Port to SdC last year got a bit stressful after a while as we all competed for the limited beds. I just have to get it into my head that this one will be just as good but different

Hi Stripey Socks. I share your qualms about walking this route solo. I posed a similar question in a thread earlier this month and received some very positive feedback. See here http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/index.php?threads/New Year decisions!.23370/

Have now booked my ticket to arrive in Lisbon on 30 April. I shall be reporting daily on my blog if you want to follow it.
Same worries here....planning my trip for late May. I will follow your blog since you will be going just a month before me.
Nadine

Hi Stripey Socks
I walked solo from Lisbon to Santiago April/May 2013. I liked it very much and would walk it again. I never felt threatened or uncomfortable. I had great weather just a little rain north of Porto. I walked on and off with 5 others until Porto ,then we were joined by more people and some groups.I had no problems with accomadation,staying mostly in albuerges. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did. To get out of the city , from Cathedral Se to the Parque das Nacoes I found Laurie`s CSJ guide the best. Bom Caminho Maura

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Forum Members: I am starting my walk in Lisbon 31st March, are there any other forum members starting around the same time?

Maura: did you book ahead for your accommodation? I want to be able to just walk and find my accommodation as I go.

Laurie: I have asked you a question on another thread about the CSJ guide, and I have just read your answer to my question on this thread, thanks for the information and all your hard work. I will send a pm with my email address for a copy of the CSJ guide . Thanks once again for your help.

Beun Camino, Judy.

Hello Judy
The only accomadation I booked was in Lisbon and Santiago. I had no trouble finding accomadation and more albuergues are opening between Lisbon and Porto.
Enjoy the Camino.Portugal is a beautiful country
Bom Caminho
Maura

Hi Maura,
Thanks for the information, that is exactly what i wanted to hear. I have booked my accomodation in Lisbon for 5 nights so that i have 4 days to have a good look around, i want to visit Sintra, Obidos and i will do Laurie's walking tour of Lisbon.
Buen Camino Judy.

€60,-
Hello Judy
The only accomadation I booked was in Lisbon and Santiago. I had no trouble finding accomadation and more albuergues are opening between Lisbon and Porto.
Enjoy the Camino.Portugal is a beautiful country
Bom Caminho
Maura
Thanks Maura. I am feeling more comfortable and confident to set out on my own AND find a bed! All the best.

I will be arriving about that same time but will train from Lisbon to Porto. I was hoping to go earlier in April to experience Easter in Portugal.

Hi Laurie,
Thanks for the copy of the CSJ guide, it's going to be really helpful.
Judy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the Caminho Portuges from Porto alone over New year. The temperatures were quite mild; between 8 and 16 degrees Celsius. The portuguese side reminded me a lot of Australia. There are a lot of eucalyptus and gum trees. I would definitely walk it again, perhaps next time in warmer weather. You can read my blog here...

http://hermannsdorfer.wordpress.com/

Attachments

• 1391320701529.jpg
    1391320701529.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 18
Some eucalyptus trees...

Attachments

• 1391320985827.jpg
    1391320985827.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 20
I walked the Caminho Portuges from Porto alone over New year. The temperatures were quite mild; between 8 and 16 degrees Celsius. The portuguese side reminded me a lot of Australia. There are a lot of eucalyptus and gum trees. I would definitely walk it again, perhaps next time in warmer weather. You can read my blog here...

http://hermannsdorfer.wordpress.com/
Thanks for sharing your blog. Lot of memories !
Best regards

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Fellow Pilgrims

Hi Stripey Socks,
I walked the Camino Portugues alone in April 2012 (from Oporto) after doing the Camino Frances in October 2011 in a group. It was a wonderful experience and I am glad I walked solo. As a lone female I felt very safe in general. The Portuguese people were very friendly and helpful. Several went out of their way to help me over the course of my 10-day journey. On the stage between Ponte De Lima and Rubiaes (#17 in Brierley), there is a rock-strewn climb where you should take care. Don't know if you use walking sticks but they are highly advisable for negotiating this bit, and also for use as a guard as you walk on the roads over the first few days out of Porto (there are high walls, nonexistent shoulders, and blind corners aplenty). The pilgrim hostels were in general uncrowded and nice facilities. I also stayed at private hostels on some nights and have happy memories of my stay at Casa Fernanda in Logar do Corgo (stage #16 in Brierley), run by a very lovely family, Fernanda and Jacinto Gomez Rodriguez. I can also highly recommend as a splurge the hotel Quinta da Franquiera in Arcos (stage #15 in Brierley, before Sao Pedro De Rates). I wish you Bom Caminho!!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Stripey Socks,
I walked the Camino Portugues alone in April 2012 (from Oporto) after doing the Camino Frances in October 2011 in a group. It was a wonderful experience and I am glad I walked solo. As a lone female I felt very safe in general. The Portuguese people were very friendly and helpful. Several went out of their way to help me over the course of my 10-day journey. On the stage between Ponte De Lima and Rubiaes (#17 in Brierley), there is a rock-strewn climb where you should take care. Don't know if you use walking sticks but they are highly advisable for negotiating this bit, and also for use as a guard as you walk on the roads over the first few days out of Porto (there are high walls, nonexistent shoulders, and blind corners aplenty). The pilgrim hostels were in general uncrowded and nice facilities. I also stayed at private hostels on some nights and have happy memories of my stay at Casa Fernanda in Logar do Corgo (stage #16 in Brierley), run by a very lovely family, Fernanda and Jacinto Gomez Rodriguez. I can also highly recommend as a splurge the hotel Quinta da Franquiera in Arcos (stage #15 in Brierley, before Sao Pedro De Rates). I wish you Bom Caminho!!!!

Thanks Pilgrimyogi. Thanks to all the support and good advice from this forum I have totally overcome any concerns about walking solo on ANY camino actually. Just doing some more research before booking flights - probably mid-September from Lisbon.

HermanTheGerman thank you for sharing your blog. I felt your pain, laughed till I nearly cried reading some posts and prayed that my walk will be filled with sunshine. You are much stronger than I.

HermanTheGerman thank you for sharing your blog. I felt your pain, laughed till I nearly cried reading some posts and prayed that my walk will be filled with sunshine. You are much stronger than I.

Thanks Swessin, I'm glad you liked it and that I could share my experiences, and perhaps it may also help other pilgrims planning their Camino.

You would be surprised at how tough you can be when walking a Camino alone. It's in everyone and if you're focussed and committed to your journey you will find the strength to persevere. I'd do it all again tomorrow if I could! :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Stripey Socks,
Wish you well.
Bon Camino

Hi there, I am very happy to learn that you are also walking the camino portugues as from easter saturday. I will be leaving Porto on the 18th april and as I read these posts, I was thinking that I was going to be the only one there, and it would get very lonely. Maybe we will meet
Gerda from Antwerp

Hi there, I am very happy to learn that you are also walking the camino portugues as from easter saturday. I will be leaving Porto on the 18th april and as I read these posts, I was thinking that I was going to be the only one there, and it would get very lonely. Maybe we will meet
Gerda from Antwerp

Alone? Heck no. Probably until you reach the border with Spain, yes, it could happen. After that, on the last 100km in Tui, it's like if they've opened the pilgrim’s door, and everybody is going out there. I wasn't counting to catch so many people this year on early April, but yeah, it happened.

After middle April, it’s when the majority of the people start walking the Camiño. And for what I remember, on the Holy Week, there were already Hotels on the way, complete with reservations and everything.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
P.S: You never, NEVER!, walk alone ;)

Gerda from Antwerp
You will never walk alone Gerda.

Remind the majority of walkers do not read this forum (unfortunately) .

You will love the caminho Portuges. Do not forget to stop at casa Fernanda just after Barcelos .
The best lodging at the camino Portuges.

Bom caminho. Goede reis

Gerda from Antwerp

My son and I start our Camino on Sat 19th April........we will do the coastal until Vila do Conde (Thanks to Albertinho)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You will never walk alone Gerda.

Remind the majority of walkers do not read this forum (unfortunately) .

You will love the caminho Portuges. Do not forget to stop at casa Fernanda just after Barcelos .
The best lodging at the camino Portuges.

Bom caminho. Goede reis
Thanks Albertinho, my backpack is ready, I am all set to leave, can't wait.

Alone? Heck no. Probably until you reach the border with Spain, yes, it could happen. After that, on the last 100km in Tui, it's like if they've opened the pilgrim’s door, and everybody is going out there. I wasn't counting to catch so many people this year on early April, but yeah, it happened.

After middle April, it’s when the majority of the people start walking the Camiño. And for what I remember, on the Holy Week, there were already Hotels on the way, complete with reservations and everything.
Thanks Diogo, your comments are very intresting and helpfull, especially the one on what you learned walking the camino. I am all set and ready to go and I will surely remind your comments.
Have a nice day

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back