• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking solo.

Time of past OR future Camino
C F '16 Ingles'17 '24
Port Sept'18 '19,'22
Hey there,
I plan to walk the Camino de Ingles on 18 July. I have bought the Johnnie Walker guide which is a great source of info and so on top of that I would hugely appreciate any guidance other pilgrims might offer me here.

I walked The Francis last year with my son and so this year I am planning a shorter journey .
The Ingles seems to be a quiet route and so given that, and as I am walking solo ...
Is it best to stay in the albergues so as to meet other pilgrims? Any strong recommendations? municipal over private?
Do I need to pre- book accommodation?

I plan to leave my walking boots at home and just take strong walking shoes ( saucony shadow) Is that a good idea?

|As I start walking Tuesday 18th July, how quiet is the route, and can I expect to meet fellow travellers en route?

Looking at the distance of 118 km the route is suggesting 6 days to reach Santiago from Ferrol. The challenge is that I am due to fly out of Santiago to London on 24 July so if I walk over 6 days it still leaves me with an extra day. Might the Ingles be spun out over 7 days walking? Or is there an additional route or walk that I might add to my trip?

As a new member to the form I am so pleased to have found you and will appreciate any guidance on my second camino.
Best
Roisin

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey there,
I plan to walk the Camino de Ingles on 18 July. I have bought the Johnnie Walker guide which is a great source of info and so on top of that I would hugely appreciate any guidance other pilgrims might offer me here.

I walked The Francis last year with my son and so this year I am planning a shorter journey .
The Ingles seems to be a quiet route and so given that, and as I am walking solo ...
Is it best to stay in the albergues so as to meet other pilgrims? Any strong recommendations? municipal over private?

I plan to leave my walking boots at home and just take strong walking shoes ( saucony shadow) Is that a good idea?

|As I start walking Tuesday 18th July, how quiet is the route, and can I expect to meet fellow travellers en route?

Looking at the distance of 118 km the route is suggesting 6 days to reach Santiago from Ferrol. The challenge is that I am due to fly out of Santiago to London on 24 July so if I walk over 6 days it still leaves me with an extra day. Might the Ingles be spun out over 7 days walking? Or is there an additional route or walk that I might add to my trip?

As a new member to the form I am so pleased to have found you and will appreciate any guidance on my second camino.
Best
Roisin

Hi and welcome.
The Ingles is getting more and more popular. As a matter of fact I just read somewhere else that Betanzos albergue was full.
There are not much private albergues ( only in Sigueiro ) but the Xunta/ Concello albergues are really good . Prebooking at Xunta albergues is not possible.
In Pontedeume I recommend Pension Bar Luis. Decent rooms and good food.

Enjoy ,it is a beautiful route.

Last edited:
I do not normally book ahead when I walk but I think that in your position I might. Perhaps I could quote the Facebook comment which I think @SabineP just referred to - posted less than an hour ago:

"A heads-up for those doing the Betanzos - Hospital de Bruma stage: 2 days ago when I arrived at 12.30 (opening time 13.00) there were already 13 pilgrims waiting in line who had slept in Presedo. Presedo has 16 beds and had been full, Betanzos was full with 32 beds and Hospital de Bruma has only 22, hence insufficient room for those who would like to do the 'standard' stage. The hospitalero warned that those walking from Betanzos in July and August will most likely not get a bed."

It sounds as if this summer is going to be a squeeze on the Ingles. So many people looking for alternatives to the Frances.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
HI Roisin,

I walked the ingles in 2015 and i really enjoyed it. Very quiet and marked very well. I stayed in public albergues. The public albergues are very nice. I believe July is busy time of the year and it seems that you are walking close to feast of St James so not sure you'll have the same luxury i had of not fighting for bed space. The Neda, Bruma, & Betanzos albergues are quite big. Pontdeume is small however i just saw this posting https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/new-albergue-in-pontedeume.9618/

This may help you too https://www.gronze.com/camino-ingles

Buen camino!

Hi, @roisinailishclancy , welcome to the forum.

Others have commented on accommodation, there are limited opportunities to book ahead and you will need to make that decision when opportunity arrives.

Boots are unlikely to be necessary on the Ingles in July. I walked in September in Saloman GTX's and only recall one occasion where mud avoidance was a problem.

You will meet other pilgrims. From the sound of comments above perhaps more than you need. ;)

We walked the route in 5 days. Could have taken 6. I like spending time in Santiago. Why not drop in on one of @SYates forum gatherings or pop in on the Pilgrim Office and get a copy of @JohnnieWalker 's Route of Routes, a circuit of Santaigo that encompasses all of the gates to the city.

The Ingles is a delightful route. Enjoy

Buen camino

Hi and welcome.
The Ingles is getting more and more popular. As a matter of fact I just read somewhere else that Betanzos albergue was full.
There are not much private albergues ( only in Sigueiro ) but the Xunta/ Concello albergues are really good . Prebooking at Xunta albergues is not possible.

Sabine Thank you so much. I am going to follow up on your recommendations .:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey there,

Best
Roisin
@roisinailishclancy, the albergue parts of your question appear to be well enough answered, and my experience of the CI was at an earlier time of the year and now a few years ago. Things to appear to be changing.

On the subject of footwear, I wear boots, but didn't feel that there was any part of the CI that couldn't have been done just as easily with good walking shoes.

I walked over six days by starting at the albergue at Covas (noting that there has been discussion about this now being closed) and walking around the headland to Ferrol, about 28 km, and then walked the five day pattern from Ferrol to Santiago. The other option is to walk some shorter days and break up some of the longer legs. My recollection is that if you stop at Bar Julia, one of the accommodation providers near Bruma will collect you and return you there the next day. You then stay in the same hostel/hotel the next night. And there will be other combinations that would allow you to spread the distance over six or seven days.

Last edited:
HI Roisin,

I walked the ingles in 2015 and i really enjoyed it. Very quiet and marked very well. I stayed in public albergues. The public albergues are very nice. I believe July is busy time of the year and it seems that you are walking close to feast of St James so not sure you'll have the same luxury i had of not fighting for bed space. The Neda, Bruma, & Betanzos albergues are quite big. Pontdeume is small however i just saw this posting https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/new-albergue-in-pontedeume.9618/

This may help you too https://www.gronze.com/camino-ingles

Buen camino!
Thank you Dennis. Am looking forward so will check out your links here. :)

I do not normally book ahead when I walk but I think that in your position I might. Perhaps I could quote the Facebook comment which I think @SabineP just referred to - posted less than an hour ago:

"A heads-up for those doing the Betanzos - Hospital de Bruma stage: 2 days ago when I arrived at 12.30 (opening time 13.00) there were already 13 pilgrims waiting in line who had slept in Presedo. Presedo has 16 beds and had been full, Betanzos was full with 32 beds and Hospital de Bruma has only 22, hence insufficient room for those who would like to do the 'standard' stage. The hospitalero warned that those walking from Betanzos in July and August will most likely not get a bed."

It sounds as if this summer is going to be a squeeze on the Ingles. So many people looking for alternatives to the Frances.
Thank you Bradypus. Great and I will look at options this weekend and see what I might book. Very much appreciate your advice here.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@roisinailishclancy, the albergue parts of your question appear to be well enough answered, and my experience of the CI was at an earlier time of the year and now a few years ago. Things to appear to be changing.

On the subject of footwear, I wear boots, but didn't feel that there was any part of the CI that couldn't have been just as easily with good walking shoes.

I walked over six days by starting at the albergue at Covas (noting that there has been discussion about this now being closed) and walking around the headland to Ferrol, about 28 km, and then walked the five day pattern from Ferrol to Santiago. The other option is to walk some shorter days and break up some of the longer legs. My recollection is that if you stop at Bar Julia, one of the accommodation providers near Bruma will collect you and return you there the next day. You then stay in the same hostel/hotel the next night. And there will be other combinations that would allow you to spread the distance over six or seven days.
Great Doug and certainly giving me options. So pleased to leave my boots at home :)

Hi, @roisinailishclancy , welcome to the forum.

Others have commented on accommodation, there are limited opportunities to book ahead and you will need to make that decision when opportunity arrives.

Boots are unlikely to be necessary on the Ingles in July. I walked in September in Saloman GTX's and only recall one occasion where mud avoidance was a problem.

You will meet other pilgrims. From the sound of comments above perhaps more than you need. ;)

We walked the route in 5 days. Could have taken 6. I like spending time in Santiago. Why not drop in on one of @SYates forum gatherings or pop in on the Pilgrim Office and get a copy of @JohnnieWalker 's Route of Routes, a circuit of Santaigo that encompasses all of the gates to the city.

The Ingles is a delightful route. Enjoy

Buen camino
Hi Tincatinker, yes any worries of a solitary route are fast disappearing! I will checkout options this weekend and very much appreciate your advice, Best Roisin

Hi Roisin, I'm walking the Inglés a bit ahead of you and have booked everything beforehand. Part of this decision is due to the increasing numbers on the Inglés and the fact that the public albergues only have 16 to 32 beds each. I didn't want to be racing with my fellow Inglés pilgrims to get a bed. This means a less-flexible schedule since I "have to" get to my destination every night, but with some of the stages having fewer places to stay in between anyway it seemed like the wisest choice for me and how I walk. Once you weigh everything I'm sure you'll come to a decision that works well for you :).

I've also spun it out to be 7 days (Ferrol to Neda, Neda to Cabañas, Cabañas to Betanzos, Betanzos to Casa Julia and back to Betanzos to sleep a second night, Casa Julia to Mesón do Vento, Mesón do Vento to Sigüeiro, Sigüeiro to Santiago) but if you do have extra time in Santiago you'll enjoy that as well - lots to see and do, and just plain decompress from the journey before heading home.

Have a great Camino!
Faith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Roisin, I'm walking the Inglés a bit ahead of you and have booked everything beforehand. Part of this decision is due to the increasing numbers on the Inglés and the fact that the public albergues only have 16 to 32 beds each. I didn't want to be racing with my fellow Inglés pilgrims to get a bed. This means a less-flexible schedule since I "have to" get to my destination every night, but with some of the stages having fewer places to stay in between anyway it seemed like the wisest choice for me and how I walk. Once you weigh everything I'm sure you'll come to a decision that works well for you :).

I've also spun it out to be 7 days (Ferrol to Neda, Neda to Cabañas, Cabañas to Betanzos, Betanzos to Casa Julia and back to Betanzos to sleep a second night, Casa Julia to Mesón do Vento, Mesón do Vento to Sigüeiro, Sigüeiro to Santiago) but if you do have extra time in Santiago you'll enjoy that as well - lots to see and do, and just plain decompress from the journey before heading home.

Have a great Camino!
Faith
Hey Faith, This is really helpful and like how you have extended the walking days . Might you have time to share names of where you have stayed on this 7 day trip as that would work really well for me? I spent three days last year in santiago as we celebrated completing the Francis so have pretty much covered all of Santiago and absolutely loved our stay .

Hola Roisin,
I just sent you a private message (in case you don't know where to look for it - if you look to the upper right of your browser window you'll hopefully see a notification in your inbox). Once I get back from walking I'll post the names here for the record.
Buen Camino!
Faith

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi and welcome.

Right on!! I was going to recommend the same for Pontedeume....Pension Bar Luis or the place across the street from it. Actually there is a open square Luis faces. But the other place is catty corner to Luis. It would be a good second choice.
The A'berg in Pontedeume is not the best. I did not stay there but based on recommendations not to...I did not stay there.

Stop at Bar Julia. Get good eats there. Cafe, beer, water. Right after Bar Julia you have a very nice long and slow... very long climb. Wasn't too bad but you will know it when you hit it.

Bruma A'berg is small. Wash clothes by hand in open sink. If clothes line is full go across street to fencing and hang on fence. Great place to eat down the street. Take a right out of Burma A'berg. Walk approx 80 mts. Place is on left. Woman who runs it is great. She will make breakfast too.

There was only one area where I walked that I, for some reason, did not feel good alone. It was all woods. long dirt road. I will try to remember the town it leads to. Believe it was the last big stop before Santiago. You will know this area when you get to it.

I have walked two other Caminos. Loved this one the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are starting from Ferrol, I would recommend Hotel Silva. I walked from center of town (Ferrol) to Silva. Stayed there last May for three nights. Clean place. Not very expensive.

When I did the Ingles two years ago, I stayed there as well.
To get to the Camino from Silva. Out door. Turn left. Turn left at corner. Cross main street. Go straight. Kinda down a hill. Then you will pick up, believe by circle, the Camino.
I walked from the Port of Ferrol (starting place for Ingles) to Silva. Then picked up the rest out of Ferrol next morning.

I spent a few years of my childhood in Ferrol. Used to be a very nice city. Very busy with ship building, Spanish Navy, etc. Now dead. Bad times have hit Ferrol. But my Spanish friends like it there and we go to the northern beaches and towns when I am there.

IF you have time, and if it is of interest to you, there is a excellent ship museum in Ferrol.

Loved the A'berg in Neda. Place to eat up the hill is great. Will look up the name. Woman who runs it is great. She will have her little boy with her.

That was my post - no worries quoting it here ;). I got into Santiago on Thursday from Ferrol. As others have mentioned potential problems occur as the albergues have fewer beds, not that there are hoards of pilgrims. In fact, I walked almost everyday without seeing anyone (I generally leave between 6-6:30).

Another heads up is that between Hospital de Bruma and Sigüieros there was NO café open when I passed. I guess if you leave later in the morning you might have the luck to get some coffee before 24 km.

And for those walking alone, IMHO there was no stretch where I felt unsafe but I must admit that I have walked hundreds and hundreds of km alone on solitary Caminos and this has - thank goodness - not been an issue.

Buen Camino to all on their way or starting out soon.
LT

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are starting from Ferrol, I would recommend Hotel Silva. I walked from center of town (Ferrol) to Silva. Stayed there last May for three nights. Clean place. Not very expensive.

When I did the Ingles two years ago, I stayed there as well.
To get to the Camino from Silva. Out door. Turn left. Turn left at corner. Cross main street. Go straight. Kinda down a hill. Then you will pick up, believe by circle, the Camino.
I walked from the Port of Ferrol (starting place for Ingles) to Silva. Then picked up the rest out of Ferrol next morning.

I spent a few years of my childhood in Ferrol. Used to be a very nice city. Very busy with ship building, Spanish Navy, etc. Now dead. Bad times have hit Ferrol. But my Spanish friends like it there and we go to the northern beaches and towns when I am there.

IF you have time, and if it is of interest to you, there is a excellent ship museum in Ferrol.

Loved the A'berg in Neda. Place to eat up the hill is great. Will look up the name. Woman who runs it is great. She will have her little boy with her.
Marty this is great and am going to plan to stay in albergue in Neda and so will head up the hill in search of the cafe/ bar/reataurant! Am going to on following day to make it to Pontedeume for lunch before walking on to Mino. Of course this may be a case of the best laid plans but loving all the suggestions as allowing me to put together a good itinerary . Many thanks

That was my post - no worries quoting it here ;). I got into Santiago on Thursday from Ferrol. As others have mentioned potential problems occur as the albergues have fewer beds, not that there are hoards of pilgrims. In fact, I walked almost everyday without seeing anyone (I generally leave between 6-6:30).

Another heads up is that between Hospital de Bruma and Sigüieros there was NO café open when I passed. I guess if you leave later in the morning you might have the luck to get some coffee before 24 km.

And for those walking alone, IMHO there was no stretch where I felt unsafe but I must admit that I have walked hundreds and hundreds of km alone on solitary Caminos and this has - thank goodness - not been an issue.

Buen Camino to all on their way or starting out soon.
LT
Thanks so much LT. Yes really looking forward to my walk and am aiming for a mix of private and public accommodation. Will make sure I have snacks and water when heading towards Sigueiros.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey there,

Best
Roisin
Since Laurie's up-to-date info about albergues has been mentioned, I will just add a couple comments. In May, I walked the Camino Ingles solo and never felt unsafe. I wore Oboz hiking shoes, but I think running shoes would also work - more pavement walking than I realized. I did not meet another pilgrim actually walking until my 3rd day climbing out of Pontedeume, and after that, probably no more than a half dozen each day til Santiago. Therefore, I was surprised to encounter a full albergue at Betanzos and then at Bruma. I really wondered where the pilgrims had been hiding during the day! I took 7 days to walk- Day 1 - left Ferrol at 1pm, reached albergue in Nede 5pm, 15km--- I think people are talking about Pension Margato for food Day 2 - walked 15km to Pontedeume, stayed at Bar Luis Day 3 - Pontedeume to Betanzos 20km, stayed at very nice and modern municipal albergue, which was completo by end of day - if planning to stop in between at Minos, check to see if albergue is open as it was closed in May, forcing pilgrims to find private accommodation Day 4 - Betanzos to Presedo 15km, stayed at small municipal albergue, ate at Meson Museo Day 5 - Presedo to Bruma 15km, stayed at municipal albergue, which was completo by 3pm, ate at nearby restaurant. You might consider booking ahead private accommodation for Bruma as this is where the A Coruna and Ferrol caminos combine. Note that the Meson Vento hotel (2km further on I think) will pick you up anywhere from Bar Julia (before the climb up to Bruma) and return you the next day. There also seemed to be a new casa rural on the camino nearby. Day 6 - Bruma to Sigueiro 25km, as there is no municipal albergue here, book a private one ahead of time. I stayed at the Camino Real. Day 7 - Sigueiro to Santiago about 17km. Be watchful for waymarks approaching the industrial park area. I called the Camino Ingles the "Stop and Smell the Roses Camino" for the many lovely roses I found along the way. It is beautiful, quiet, and still the way less traveled. Buen camino.

Our stages were similar to Faith's, but we pre-booked 2 nights at O Meson Novo in Meson do Vento. (Stopped at Bar Julia, picked up by Antonio and returned next morning)
Walking in 2011 we stayed at Bar Norte in Pontedeume, in 2015 we stayed in Cabañas (pre-booked Hotel Iberia).
In 2011 we stayed in the albergue in Miño, in 2015 at a pension about 1km further along the main road from the albergue ( O Cantiño - pre-booked).
We actually took 9 days as we also stopped an extra day in Betanzos and again in Ordes. We simply combined @JohnnieWalker 's two 5 day suggestions initially, then worked out our own stages. His guide will have plenty of suggested accommodation as does Gronze, which also has links to booking.com etc if needed.
Buen Camino

Since Laurie's up-to-date info about albergues has been mentioned, I will just add a couple comments. In May, I walked the Camino Ingles solo and never felt unsafe. I wore Oboz hiking shoes, but I think running shoes would also work - more pavement walking than I realized. I did not meet another pilgrim actually walking until my 3rd day climbing out of Pontedeume, and after that, probably no more than a half dozen each day til Santiago. Therefore, I was surprised to encounter a full albergue at Betanzos and then at Bruma. I really wondered where the pilgrims had been hiding during the day! I took 7 days to walk- Day 1 - left Ferrol at 1pm, reached albergue in Nede 5pm, 15km--- I think people are talking about Pension Margato for food Day 2 - walked 15km to Pontedeume, stayed at Bar Luis Day 3 - Pontedeume to Betanzos 20km, stayed at very nice and modern municipal albergue, which was completo by end of day - if planning to stop in between at Minos, check to see if albergue is open as it was closed in May, forcing pilgrims to find private accommodation Day 4 - Betanzos to Presedo 15km, stayed at small municipal albergue, ate at Meson Museo Day 5 - Presedo to Bruma 15km, stayed at municipal albergue, which was completo by 3pm, ate at nearby restaurant. You might consider booking ahead private accommodation for Bruma as this is where the A Coruna and Ferrol caminos combine. Note that the Meson Vento hotel (2km further on I think) will pick you up anywhere from Bar Julia (before the climb up to Bruma) and return you the next day. There also seemed to be a new casa rural on the camino nearby. Day 6 - Bruma to Sigueiro 25km, as there is no municipal albergue here, book a private one ahead of time. I stayed at the Camino Real. Day 7 - Sigueiro to Santiago about 17km. Be watchful for waymarks approaching the industrial park area. I called the Camino Ingles the "Stop and Smell the Roses Camino" for the many lovely roses I found along the way. It is beautiful, quiet, and still the way less traveled. Buen camino.
This is great Taijipilgrim. Have taken heed of what you are suggesting. An keen to book the Camino Real but cannot see a number or site by which to prebook? I did try to connect on Facebook but no reply as yet so not sure if you have an idea? My name means little Rose so love your comment on the roses. Muchas gracias.

Our stages were similar to Faith's, but we pre-booked 2 nights at O Meson Novo in Meson do Vento. (Stopped at Bar Julia, picked up by Antonio and returned next morning)
Walking in 2011 we stayed at Bar Norte in Pontedeume, in 2015 we stayed in Cabañas (pre-booked Hotel Iberia).
In 2011 we stayed in the albergue in Miño, in 2015 at a pension about 1km further along the main road from the albergue ( O Cantiño - pre-booked).
We actually took 9 days as we also stopped an extra day in Betanzos and again in Ordes. We simply combined @JohnnieWalker 's two 5 day suggestions initially, then worked out our own stages. His guide will have plenty of suggested accommodation as does Gronze, which also has links to booking.com etc if needed.
Buen Camino
Hey Tia Valeria excellent and plan to stretch it out so will walk for six days. Wonder if you might advise as in July for the albergues, do I need to bring a sleeping bag or will a sleep sheet suffice? I do not plan to overnight in Santiago but will wish to attend mass at the cathedral. Ia it easy to store my rucksack while I tour around Santiago? Thank you for sharing your info with me and really appreciated

Last edited:
It is important that you find somewhere to store your bag before you try to enter the cathedral. Many pilgrims head straight there and are turned away. Frustrating! There is a left luggage place near the south door. You can also leave your bag at Pilgrim House - Rua Nova 19 - if they are open.

It is important that you find somewhere to store your bag before you try to enter the cathedral. Many pilgrims head straight there and are turned away. Frustrating! There is a left luggage place near the south door. You can also leave your bag at Pilgrim House - Rua Nova 19 - if they are open.

I can understand that for safety reasons they cannot allow backpacks inside the cathedral anymore. I did find it very comforting that I could bring mine in when I finished my first Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We walked in May and had very lightweight sleeping bags. In July I think a light fleece/silk type bag be enough. Others, who have walked in July, can probably answer better :)

Great and will leave at Pilgrim House. Many thanks.:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked in 2015 and found it a great walk. Although you're much more likely to encounter pilgrims than I was, there were still 20-30 walking each day. I only saw maybe one other pilgrim the first day so don't know where they were all hiding. Bar Luis is great if your plans change and you end up stopping in Pontedeume. Betanzos also has Hotel Garelos which is very comfy and air conditioned if you don't mind splashing out price wise (compared to other Ingles accommodation). I know the section through the pine forest mentioned earlier and I very much enjoyed that section as a break from village and roadside wandering. Felt very safe while walking.

I walked in 2015 and found it a great walk. Although you're much more likely to encounter pilgrims than I was, there were still 20-30 walking each day. I only saw maybe one other pilgrim the first day so don't know where they were all hiding. Bar Luis is great if your plans change and you end up stopping in Pontedeume. Betanzos also has Hotel Garelos which is very comfy and air conditioned if you don't mind splashing out price wise (compared to other Ingles accommodation). I know the section through the pine forest mentioned earlier and I very much enjoyed that section as a break from village and roadside wandering. Felt very safe while walking.
Hi LdnWalker, I spoke to Bar Luis and yes really appeals .Looking forward to reaching there now as always easier when in situ:)

This is great Taijipilgrim. Have taken heed of what you are suggesting. An keen to book the Camino Real but cannot see a number or site by which to prebook? I did try to connect on Facebook but no reply as yet so not sure if you have an idea? My name means little Rose so love your comment on the roses. Muchas gracias.
As your luck would have it, I still have their flyer! Telephone for English and Italian +34 685 11 0377 For Spanish +34 981 69 16 57. They have a bunkroom, a room with 6 twin beds, and at least one private room. I like the meaning of your name. So do you live in Ireland?

All booked and great call. Irish but married and living in London for over 30 years .x
As your luck would have it, I still have their flyer! Telephone for English and Italian +34 685 11 0377 For Spanish +34 981 69 16 57. They have a bunkroom, a room with 6 twin beds, and at least one private room. I like the meaning of your name. So do you live in Ireland?

Hola Roisin,
Just a note as to nighttime - blankets every night came in handy this past week as nighttime lows were as low as 10ºC some nights. But I run cold in general.

And beware of mosquitoes! They're out strong this year. Though I never got bit on the trail I did have to kill a few in the rooms.
Buen Camino! Everything is in bloom so there is a lot to look at. Enjoy!
Faith

A huge thank you to the forum members for all your help and advice on my recent Camino Ingles. It was a wonderful meaningful 6 days which went far too quickly. My initial fears were greatly assuaged by the support and sensible approach of the members here and I cannot thank you enough for the speed and valuable responses to my thread Walking solo.
My much loved Johnnie Walker's guide is in shreds as it walked every step of the way with me and thank you J.W. as your guide was key to my daily walk .
I so loved my time on the Ingles. and I hope that for those planning to walk the Ingles, my record, albeit a lengthy one, below may prove helpful/ of interest.

Day 1 Saw me fly into A Coruna, a really pretty coastal resort and from where I enjoyed some sight seeing and visits into the old town. From A Coruna I caught the bus, which goes hourly on the half hour to Ferrol .
A taxi brought me to the hotel Silva which is centrally located and very good value . It is not the closest to the port so that evening I walked to the Information Centre and was given some good maps and also advice on how best to avoid roadworks when exiting Ferrol the next morning.
Supper that evening at Meson Mateo , which is walking distance from the hotel, was a resounding success and I would strongly recommend a visit here.

Day 2 - Ferrol to Neda 14km. The path that day was a mix of trails and road/pavements. My plan had been to walk further but the never ending rain and the cold saw me opting to stop at the hostel at Neda. Although I never encountered any pilgrims walking, there was a lovely group of young Spanish students and more veteran walkers staying there. The hostel at Neda is basic but clean and accommodates 28 visitors. And while the location along the river is pleasant, there is little to do in the area,and if I were to walk again I would not stop here but rather would forge ahead.

Day 3 - Neda to Pontedeume. 16 km
A lovely walk and as the sun shone warmly everything seemed that much brighter. A number of interesting churches, none of which were open - are they ever? However some lavaderos and monuments to view and also the mix of forest and coastal paths made for a very enjoyable walk .
As I approached Pontedeume , the bridge leading into the town is as impressive as is the town itself . Quite a number of steep pathways bring you high up to view wonderful vistas below. That evening after mass, the Church of Santiago offered a pilgrims blessing which was quite special and gave a greater sense of my being there.
Having met more than 10 students at the albergue in Neda I felt they had a greater claim on the bunk beds and so while the albergue is good I opted to stay at Bar Luis. The rooms are in a separate building across from the restaurant and are quite adequate BUT make sure to be sleeping at the rear of the building:) The Spanish partied that evening as if there was no tomorrow, while pilgrims tried to sleep knowing that there was definitely a tomorrow, and a steep incline to cover on leaving Pontedeume and heading to Betanzos.

Day 4 - Pontedeume to Betanzos. 20 km
I found this day more challenging and while I am a strong and fast walker the ascent seemed to be higher and longer than I had expected . I could not find a cafe until Mino but when I did it was so worth it as the best cafe con leche and churros I have tasted were served in Cafe Churreria,
Once fortified I headed off and to the wonderful sound of the Miserere ringing in my ears, life really was good ! As an aside, at different times of the day I tuned into the soundtrack of Les Intouchables, The Tallest Man on Earth, London Grammar and of course George Michael. These different artists and their music helped me when at times I needed the incentive to keep going . There are few pilgrims along the way but I found that I was really enjoying the solitude and the ease of simply having to put one foot in front of the other.
Betanzos is charming, paved streets, an old town, a busy square and again not one but two beautifully appointed churches. The albergue is top notch, modern and spread over three floors with the option in one room of single beds- what a luxury !
One lovely moment as I went to the super market to buy some provisions for the next day and one baguette, three slices of manchego and two slices of Serrano prompted "Nancy"the young girl to promptly made up my sandwich and wrap it in cling film, Such thoughtfulness made for an even more tasty lunch the following day.

Day 5 - Betanzos - Meson De Vento 29 km
I had been worried about this leg of the trip as the map indicated quite a challenging ascent into Bruma. An early morning start had me well ahead. However at around 16 kms, the route bore little resemblance to my Johnnie Walker guide book and so I opted to put the guide book into my bag and follow the plentiful number of way marks. The climb was high but not so difficult and while it did not really afford good views it did provide a wonderful days walking.Time to reflect and think about everything and nothing and at times sing Careless Whisper at the top of my voice. Apart from the farm dogs it was again just me and my rucksack !
I popped in to the albergue at Bruma which is big and well run but as I had pre booked hotel Canaima I waited at the hostel until Natalie from the hotel collected me . I enjoyed the hotel , much more comfortable than I had expected and Ramon and his team were very welcoming and could not do enough for us all. It is also the only real option for dining as when I went over to O Meson Novo they could only offer a ham and cheese boccadillo. At Canaima the galician soup followed by cod with sauted potatoes and a great cheese plate more than satisfied that evening.

Day 6 - Meson De Vento- Sigueiro. 24 kms
A relatively straightforward walk today but the earlier morning trails and interesting terrain does not prepare you for the latter never ending wide walk ways through and finally into Sigueiro. My room at Hostel Sigueiro more than compensated for that however. If staying again in Sigueiro this will be my one and only choice.What a find and for my last night as I sat on the terrace I thought back over my solo tour, my initial fears and concerns at walking on my own, and at once I felt so peaceful, humbled and yet with such a sense of well being and ready for the final walk into Santiago.

Day 7 Sigueiro - Santiago ( 16 kms)
3 kms out from Siguiero, I fell in with a wonderful young pilgrim from London and we talked and walked and three hours later we walked together into Santiago . It was the 24 July and the eve of the feast day so preparations were in full swing. A visit to Pilgrim house allowed me to meet and thank the wonderful Nate whose advice and guidance I had so valued . And also of course I saw first hand the amazing work the team does here.
I went to the morning pilgrims mass, gave the apostle an almighty hug, cried a little, well okay, maybe a lot, changed from my walking clothes and jumped into a taxi for LHR...
... sólo hasta la próxima vez.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Glad to hear you had a great time !!!!

Question: Will you be back for more ????????????????

A huge thank you to the forum members for all your help and advice on my recent Camino Ingles. It was a wonderful meaningful 6 days which went far too quickly. My initial fears were greatly assuaged by the support and sensible approach of the members here and I cannot thank you enough for the speed and valuable responses to my thread Walking solo.
My much loved Johnnie Walker's guide is in shreds as it walked every step of the way with me and thank you J.W. as your guide was key to my daily walk .
I so loved my time on the Ingles. and I hope that for those planning to walk the Ingles, my record, albeit a lengthy one, below may prove helpful/ of interest.

Day 1 Saw me fly into A Coruna, a really pretty coastal resort and from where I enjoyed some sight seeing and visits into the old town. From A Coruna I caught the bus, which goes hourly on the half hour to Ferrol .
A taxi brought me to the hotel Silva which is centrally located and very good value . It is not the closest to the port so that evening I walked to the Information Centre and was given some good maps and also advice on how best to avoid roadworks when exiting Ferrol the next morning.
Supper that evening at Meson Mateo , which is walking distance from the hotel, was a resounding success and I would strongly recommend a visit here.

Day 2 - Ferrol to Neda 14km. The path that day was a mix of trails and road/pavements. My plan had been to walk further but the never ending rain and the cold saw me opting to stop at the hostel at Neda. Although I never encountered any pilgrims walking, there was a lovely group of young Spanish students and more veteran walkers staying there. The hostel at Neda is basic but clean and accommodates 28 visitors. And while the location along the river is pleasant, there is little to do in the area,and if I were to walk again I would not stop here but rather would forge ahead.

Day 3 - Neda to Pontedeume. 16 km
A lovely walk and as the sun shone warmly everything seemed that much brighter. A number of interesting churches, none of which were open - are they ever? However some lavaderos and monuments to view and also the mix of forest and coastal paths made for a very enjoyable walk .
As I approached Pontedeume , the bridge leading into the town is as impressive as is the town itself . Quite a number of steep pathways bring you high up to view wonderful vistas below. That evening after mass, the Church of Santiago offered a pilgrims blessing which was quite special and gave a greater sense of my being there.
Having met more than 10 students at the albergue in Neda I felt they had a greater claim on the bunk beds and so while the albergue is good I opted to stay at Bar Luis. The rooms are in a separate building across from the restaurant and are quite adequate BUT make sure to be sleeping at the rear of the building:) The Spanish partied that evening as if there was no tomorrow, while pilgrims tried to sleep knowing that there was definitely a tomorrow, and a steep incline to cover on leaving Pontedeume and heading to Betanzos.

Day 4 - Pontedeume to Betanzos. 20 km
I found this day more challenging and while I am a strong and fast walker the ascent seemed to be higher and longer than I had expected . I could not find a cafe until Mino but when I did it was so worth it as the best cafe con leche and churros I have tasted were served in Cafe Churreria,
Once fortified I headed off and to the wonderful sound of the Miserere ringing in my ears, life really was good ! As an aside, at different times of the day I tuned into the soundtrack of Les Intouchables, The Tallest Man on Earth, London Grammar and of course George Michael. These different artists and their music helped me when at times I needed the incentive to keep going . There are few pilgrims along the way but I found that I was really enjoying the solitude and the ease of simply having to put one foot in front of the other.
Betanzos is charming, paved streets, an old town, a busy square and again not one but two beautifully appointed churches. The albergue is top notch, modern and spread over three floors with the option in one room of single beds- what a luxury !
One lovely moment as I went to the super market to buy some provisions for the next day and one baguette, three slices of manchego and two slices of Serrano prompted "Nancy"the young girl to promptly made up my sandwich and wrap it in cling film, Such thoughtfulness made for an even more tasty lunch the following day.

Day 5 - Betanzos - Meson De Vento 29 km
I had been worried about this leg of the trip as the map indicated quite a challenging ascent into Bruma. An early morning start had me well ahead. However at around 16 kms, the route bore little resemblance to my Johnnie Walker guide book and so I opted to put the guide book into my bag and follow the plentiful number of way marks. The climb was high but not so difficult and while it did not really afford good views it did provide a wonderful days walking.Time to reflect and think about everything and nothing and at times sing Careless Whisper at the top of my voice. Apart from the farm dogs it was again just me and my rucksack !
I popped in to the albergue at Bruma which is big and well run but as I had pre booked hotel Canaima I waited at the hostel until Natalie from the hotel collected me . I enjoyed the hotel , much more comfortable than I had expected and Ramon and his team were very welcoming and could not do enough for us all. It is also the only real option for dining as when I went over to O Meson Novo they could only offer a ham and cheese boccadillo. At Canaima the galician soup followed by cod with sauted potatoes and a great cheese plate more than satisfied that evening.

Day 6 - Meson De Vento- Sigueiro. 24 kms
A relatively straightforward walk today but the earlier morning trails and interesting terrain does not prepare you for the latter never ending wide walk ways through and finally into Sigueiro. My room at Hostel Sigueiro more than compensated for that however. If staying again in Sigueiro this will be my one and only choice.What a find and for my last night as I sat on the terrace I thought back over my solo tour, my initial fears and concerns at walking on my own, and at once I felt so peaceful, humbled and yet with such a sense of well being and ready for the final walk into Santiago.

Day 7 Sigueiro - Santiago ( 16 kms)
3 kms out from Siguiero, I fell in with a wonderful young pilgrim from London and we talked and walked and three hours later we walked together into Santiago . It was the 24 July and the eve of the feast day so preparations were in full swing. A visit to Pilgrim house allowed me to meet and thank the wonderful Nate whose advice and guidance I had so valued . And also of course I saw first hand the amazing work the team does here.
I went to the morning pilgrims mass, gave the apostle an almighty hug, cried a little, well okay, maybe a lot, changed from my walking clothes and jumped into a taxi for LHR...
... sólo hasta la próxima vez.

Glad I've found this... will be walking from Sept 28th into Santiago and then back out to La Coruna

AjD + Wife (lol lol ol )

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back