• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking some of the Portugese Way with my Service Dog!

NikkiOTW

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto to Santiago
I will be spending 5-7 days walking the Camino in mid September. My service dog will be traveling with me, she hikes quite a bit in the states and I don't have any concerns with her physical abilities but want to make sure I plan accomodations properly on her behalf. I could sleep anywhere :) We can start anywhere from Porto to Santiago, and would like to walk at least 100km. Thanks for assist!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I will be spending 5-7 days walking the Camino in mid September. My service dog will be traveling with me, she hikes quite a bit in the states and I don't have any concerns with her physical abilities but want to make sure I plan accomodations properly on her behalf. I could sleep anywhere :) We can start anywhere from Porto to Santiago, and would like to walk at least 100km. Thanks for assist!!
What a beautiful pup, I wish you both a beun camino....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome to the forum! A tag "dogs & other animals" has been added to this thread, just under the title. If you click on it, you will find other threads on that general topic.

I'd especially recommend the thread "Fuji's first Camino" by @LavanyaLea , who recently completed 100km, Sarria to Santiago, with her Golden. Lots of practical advice and first-hand experience. 🐶

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi @NikkiOTW, good to hear another forum member planning a Camino with their dog.

Yes, I have written about our recent Camino experience here, we did the last 100K of Camino Frances. I have also written down the extra entry requirement for bringing a dog into Portugal, and there is a list of dog friendly albergue along Camino Portugues. As your dog is a service dog, you may have more options with regards to accommodation, always best to check ahead. Also in Spain, I have found people respond much faster via WhatsApp than email.

You mentioned that you’re planning to walk for 5-7 days, so the last 5-7 days of Camino Portugues is already in Spain. Most people I have come across (on social media) who did the CP with their dogs started in Tui. You can follow their story on Instagram - Gandaia and Anko. Anko’s pawrent is a vet and she provided good tips on what to pack etc.

Let me know if you have any questions, I’d be very happy to help! Buen camino!

Hi @NikkiOTW, good to hear another forum member planning a Camino with their dog.

Yes, I have written about our recent Camino experience here, we did the last 100K of Camino Frances. I have also written down the extra entry requirement for bringing a dog into Portugal, and there is a list of dog friendly albergue along Camino Portugues. As your dog is a service dog, you may have more options with regards to accommodation, always best to check ahead. Also in Spain, I have found people respond much faster via WhatsApp than email.

You mentioned that you’re planning to walk for 5-7 days, so the last 5-7 days of Camino Portugues is already in Spain. Most people I have come across (on social media) who did the CP with their dogs started in Tui. You can follow their story on Instagram - Gandaia and Anko. Anko’s pawrent is a vet and she provided good tips on what to pack etc.

Thank you very much! Appreciate the insight and will check out your threads. I have already researched entry requirements as she is flying into Lisbon with me so that is handled. Looking forward to the journey!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm definitely not the person to fill in the details because I haven't walked the routes, but I think it would be useful for those who know the northern bits of the routes of the Portuguese caminhos to point out those which are less travelled and less paved/cobbled.

One of the things that is repeatedly and, I would argue, reasonably pointed out is how hard on OUR feet the Portuguese caminhos can be, given the amount of paving and road travel. This is going to be really hard on any dog. (Also, mid-September may well be still very hot.)

So cooler, rural right-of-way-type routes would likely be happier choices for the pup in question.

Suggestions?

Someone suggested we treat ourselves to a Parador, and my reply was "Surely.... those are not pet friendly?", followed by late night Googling... and well... if you don't ask... you don't get!

From their list: Villafranca del Bierzo (Frances), Ribadeo (Norte), and Tui (Portugues). Weight limit 25kg. Full set of rules on the link above :)

Very important to look after their paw pads, we had to learn it the hard way! With the benefit of hindsight, my suggestion would be:
- Train the dog to walk/run on paved roads, i.e. road running, not just walking/hiking long distances in outdoor trails (our trails in the UK are all soft ground and either very muddy or very very very muddy) - I felt the majority of the "trails" we walked on the Frances were paved or loose/sharp gravel. Eek. The pads will look harder/darker colour, most noticeable if you start the training after winter as the pads would have softened over the winter (look more pinkish colour).
- Lots of vaseline... At one point I was applying new balm/vaseline even when we took a break in our walk (i.e. morning before we set off, once or twice along the camino, and afternoon when we got to our accommodation), maybe I didn't need to do it this frequently but as we had to stop earlier when Fuji had blisters, I was doing it as often as I could remember.
- Avoid the heat, we left at 6AM, also good crowd avoidance technique - because Fuji is super friendly and would invite pilgrims to play/chase sticks with them and end up doing what.... 5x human distance? More time on the leash when the trail becomes crowded so she didn't play as much :(
- Booties, but these had become a bit of double edged sword for us. The idea is, boots to protect from the heat (asphalt gets very very hot), but their use should be limited in time and frequently take them off to cool the paws (they sweat through the paws). Or use boot liners/socks. And don't let the boots get wet/leashed the dog (hard when it was constantly raining and Fuji also loved to swim) because when the boots are wet then it caused friction and Fuji ended up with blisters also on the top parts of her paws! So in the end we just walked very early and finished before it was too hot and didn't use the boots again. Also we were lucky we did our Camino in between 2 heat waves!

Someone suggested we treat ourselves to a Parador, and my reply was "Surely.... those are not pet friendly?", followed by late night Googling... and well... if you don't ask... you don't get!

From their list: Villafranca del Bierzo (Frances), Ribadeo (Norte), and Tui (Portugues). Weight limit 25kg. Full set of rules on the link above :)

Very important to look after their paw pads, we had to learn it the hard way! With the benefit of hindsight, my suggestion would be:
- Train the dog to walk/run on paved roads, i.e. road running, not just walking/hiking long distances in outdoor trails (our trails in the UK are all soft ground and either very muddy or very very very muddy) - I felt the majority of the "trails" we walked on the Frances were paved or loose/sharp gravel. Eek. The pads will look harder/darker colour, most noticeable if you start the training after winter as the pads would have softened over the winter (look more pinkish colour).
- Lots of vaseline... At one point I was applying new balm/vaseline even when we took a break in our walk (i.e. morning before we set off, once or twice along the camino, and afternoon when we got to our accommodation), maybe I didn't need to do it this frequently but as we had to stop earlier when Fuji had blisters, I was doing it as often as I could remember.
- Avoid the heat, we left at 6AM, also good crowd avoidance technique - because Fuji is super friendly and would invite pilgrims to play/chase sticks with them and end up doing what.... 5x human distance? More time on the leash when the trail becomes crowded so she didn't play as much :(
- Booties, but these had become a bit of double edged sword for us. The idea is, boots to protect from the heat (asphalt gets very very hot), but their use should be limited in time and frequently take them off to cool the paws (they sweat through the paws). Or use boot liners/socks. And don't let the boots get wet/leashed the dog (hard when it was constantly raining and Fuji also loved to swim) because when the boots are wet then it caused friction and Fuji ended up with blisters also on the top parts of her paws! So in the end we just walked very early and finished before it was too hot and didn't use the boots again. Also we were lucky we did our Camino in between 2 heat waves!
Thank you for the insight. We plan to start at 6am daily. She walks alot of boardwalks and pavement in Florida in 100 degree heat/humidity and does well--- the good news is, we are not on a schedule so if it is too taxing on her we can stop or redirect :) She has boots that she wears in CO in snow but she doesn't love them, and I have a paw pad conditioner that seems to help with alot of hiking. I think the portugal walk in mid september from what I have read will be better weather temps and a bit cooler.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thank you! I am researching starting points and have heard quite a bit about Tui.... much appreciated

Thank you! I am researching starting points and have heard quite a bit about Tui.... much appreciated
If you are on Instagram, apart from the 2 users I have quoted above who did their Camino from Tui, there is one currently on the Camino - follow @zelda_bodeguera for their day to day update!

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back