• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking speed

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
I want to repeat what many others have written - that pilgrims (especially inexperienced ones) should set a modest pace for themselves and not be rushed.

Yesterday I did a regular walk (14 km there and back) but had to hurry a bit on the way out, as I had an appointment. I walked at 6 km/hour, which was brisk for me even on level terrain and with no backpack. It is as fast as I can walk without jogging, which I certainly don't want to do! I arrived a bit sweaty, needing a rest, and with a few joints creaking. I could imagine that if I kept up that pace I could easily end up injured even though it is hardly an extreme activity. (I am mid-60s, moderately fit but no athlete.) On the route home, I walked at my normal moderate pace, 5 km/h. At that speed, without backpack and on level terrain) I can walk all day without any problems.

My message is simply that the difference between 6 km/h and 5 km/h was huge in terms of my comfort. Whatever your natural comfortable speed is, you should stick with it. On the camino with backpack and walking sticks I would personally expect to do no more than 4 km/h on level terrain and 3 where there are modest hills up or down. On some hills, I'll take my time and expect to do 2 km/h! That doesn't even include official rests or photo opportunities.

This is meant as an encouraging post for anyone who is concerned about their abilities. Finding your own pace is what matters most.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Resounding agreement from me! The first two weeks for me are always about getting trail fit - muscles building, gear settling, patterns being established. It can only be done at my body's pace. It can sometimes help to have the distraction of an interesting companion but only if their walking speed perfectly fits mine. There are a few days of digging deep and emotional persistence to find my long distance legs. Then I get into a steady rhythm, I'm sure everyone experiences it, when the body switches to autopilot. The walk becomes a lovely meditative flow across the landscape - sometimes it almost feels that I am still and the land is rushing past. It is one of the reasons I love the meseta.

Absolutely right.
Accepting that and then also accepting it is not a challenge or race is key.
I read the latter many times before I left on my first Camino, thought I had absorbed this into my attitude, and then needed 2 weeks to realise there was 1 person I had overlooked .... myself ! Even though not worried about "racing" others, I was still pushing myself to go to the limits. Just to test/push my capabilities. Stop it ! ;-)
Doesn't serve any useful purpose

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I use 3km/h for planning my day which of course includes café con leche and Kaz Limon breaks, sock changes and short sits in the sun or under cover from the rain depending on the day. This has turned out to be my average pace after walking more than a 1200km and I am regularly passed all day long, I have however passed at least 10 other pilgrims in the 60 days or so that I have walked.

Agreed, we all have our own pace. I agree with Kanga. I have started with different levels of fitness and always found that after a few days my pace is somewhat quicker. In fact I have by Burgos found myself ahead of those whom I could not initially keep up with. This was not because of long days but just that my legs at some point in a days walk have a mind of their own, the stride gets more relaxed and longer. It makes walking with others a slight problem for us both at times.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I tend to walk at 5 Kms an hour until I reach the first bar for a decent cup of coffee! ( tastes so much better than what is served in the Albergues).
After that, relax and just plod along, somewhere between 3 to 4 Kms an hour, depending on the terrain. Yes, as Kanga mentions, by the time one reaches the Meseta, it becomes a rhythmic walk and the body switches to autopilot. I too, love the Meseta. Anne

I want to repeat what many others have written - that pilgrims (especially inexperienced ones) should set a modest pace for themselves and not be rushed.

Yesterday I did a regular walk (14 km there and back) but had to hurry a bit on the way out, as I had an appointment. I walked at 6 km/hour, which was brisk for me even on level terrain and with no backpack. It is as fast as I can walk without jogging, which I certainly don't want to do! I arrived a bit sweaty, needing a rest, and with a few joints creaking. I could imagine that if I kept up that pace I could easily end up injured even though it is hardly an extreme activity. (I am mid-60s, moderately fit but no athlete.) On the route home, I walked at my normal moderate pace, 5 km/h. At that speed, without backpack and on level terrain) I can walk all day without any problems.

My message is simply that the difference between 6 km/h and 5 km/h was huge in terms of my comfort. Whatever your natural comfortable speed is, you should stick with it. On the camino with backpack and walking sticks I would personally expect to do no more than 4 km/h on level terrain and 3 where there are modest hills up or down. On some hills, I'll take my time and expect to do 2 km/h! That doesn't even include official rests or photo opportunities.

This is meant as an encouraging post for anyone who is concerned about their abilities. Finding your own pace is what matters most.
My experience to a tee based on hiking the Appl. Trail and many other long distance hikes. I leave for the Camino tomorrow. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I also tend to walk slower than most people, though it really depends on the terrain. The Camino is generally a very easy walk with good footing. By comparison, the Lycian Way (in southern Turkey) is a very rugged walk (in some sections) and requires paying close attention to one's footing - which means a slower pace.

When planning, I tend to use a variation of Naismith's Rule (search for it on Wikipedia) except I reduce the base speed value and I also adjust time for descents -- personally, I find descents, especially steep descents, to slow me down much more than ascents. Going up is mostly just a matter of lungs, but going down really hits the hips and knees hard, and you have to watch your footing more.

Beyond making general estimates of duration for planning purposes, I just walk at whatever pace is comfortable for me. I don't get into races for albergues -- frankly, I'd rather sleep outside or pay the higher costs for a hotel than ruin my day (and my body!) racing like crazy to secure a bed. That said, I also haven't done the Camino during peak season! LOL

The odd thing is that I am normally an extremely fast walker, yet when hiking I tend to be slower than most people. It isn't just that I am slowing down as I get older; I've hiked all over the world (even in Antarctica, actually) and have always been a 'plodding' hiker. Slow and steady just seems to work better for me. :)

I like the girl from OZ on a Youtube vid that walks 5 miles then rests 3 days, etc., etc,
Walk 5 miles [8 kms] then rest for 3 days?
While that sounds very desirable to an old timer like me, it means it would take nearly two years to walk the Camino Frances. At my age I have to be very careful about such durations, as I may well not be around in two years time :D.
Seriously, I know my speed of walking over an average day - 2.3 m.p.h. or 3.7 kms an hour. But then I take loads of pictures, and talk to all the animals I see [and sometimes the butterflies].
That average is when I'm walking: in other words, the cafe con leche and menus del dia are not included. So I actually aim for around 12 to 15 kms a day and absolutely enjoy myself :)

I have been training on a treadmill just to develop stamina. I walk at a 4.3 mile per hour pace at an elevation of 5. Works up a sweat, but gets me in shape

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am In total agreement with all that finding your own comfortable pace is crucial....I tried to "keep up" with my wonderful new Camino friends on my first walk & by Pamplona was completely frazzled!!...soon realised that I needed to slow up, rest often, enjoy the landscape, not forgetting to spin around & look at where I had walked from too...my natural inclination to stop & snap a regular photo pretty much ensures I am just " bimbling along" most of the time....with the occasional spurt of energy to get me to the next cuppa..:)

To my surprise, I paid absolutely no attention to my pace while I was on the Camino. I pushed hard during training and was conscious of pace with every walk.

On the Camino, the pace was what is was. Typically dictated more by mood than by physical feelings. It varied greatly during the day, depending on thoughts, surroundings, and companions. I'm guessing it ranged for 4 to 6 kph, but I did not care. The moment was the most important thing.

My daughters and I returned last night. We found ourselves walking 20 to 25 km each day but we also rolled into our Albergue each evening some time between 5:30 and 8:30 one night. ( it doesn't get dark until about 9:30). We found that we loved starting our walk at about 7:30 in the morning - after many groups had left. Our late afternoon Camino time was our favorite. We could sometimes go an hour without ever seeing another person. It was very tranquil!

Our pace was much slower on the Camino than when we were preparing for the trip. We stopped for photos, coffee, food, bio breaks, etc. We only walked from Sarria because we all could only get one week off work, but we decided to just enjoy the moment each day. I totally agree with the comments above - the pace is what it is.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pdsskelly - sounds like you had a nice journey! The Camino is so much nicer when you aren't rushing and can simply enjoy whatever the day brings.

My message is simply that the difference between 6 km/h and 5 km/h was huge in terms of my comfort. Whatever your natural comfortable speed is, you should stick with it.

Really liking this approach. I enjoy walking the Camino everyday no matter. Near 6km/hr and having the time of my life. Often get "lectured" about my pace. Maybe because the elevated spirit shows, many simply give well-wishes and a smile. Never a race to me. Much more than that. Fully elated everyday on the Way. If dripping in sweat, all the better. This is fun for me. Many forget the fun part for themselves.

While I might seem in a hurry, this is not true. Starting between 6-7 (or whenever the room wakes), the preference is to be finished walking for the day no later than 13:30 in summer. Somedays shorter, somedays longer. Very much enjoy having the rest of the day to rest and smile. Others believe I will be in SdC within two weeks as I zoom by. Nope, I waddle just as much as most others each day. A great surprise for them when we see each other in the evenings. Easy way to make conversation.

As encouraged above, my natural pace. Perhaps it looks even faster since the legs are so short and thick. Much shorter stride moving quickly. Waddle.

If one could imagine Pooh on Camino, that would be me. Just the same, hard as heck to get to that top bunk and back down. Sometimes I dangle over the side hoping someone will bring chair for me to reach. Ugh...another story that one.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.