• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking staff on planes?

Darren John

Hello Camino community,

I will be doing my walk later this year and would love to take my walking staff with me! has anyone had any issue with doing this?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have the fold-up Z poles (Black Diamond), and I will probably just check them, if I do take them. I have the plastic tips on them, but apparently that's not enough for every airline. You really do have to check with the airline, and although an airline phone person may say "yes" you could get a "no" at the gate.

Many on this forum have commented that checking them with your liquids (shampoo, if you take it, for example) is the best bet. I may even buy something different to use when I'm in Spain, and donate them to the cause when I leave. The jury's out!

I'm new to this Camino de Santiago, but am compiling from some other peregrinos' experiences---best of luck.

The decisions I've made with my poles are still pretty up in the air, and I always appreciate reading the informed decisions (and the worries and concerns) of others!

Buen Camino!

I agree with Falcon - the staff are often walking up and down the aisles. ;)
Ryanair specifically prohibit walking poles [Oh dear! Not Polish staff .... :oops: - they walk up and down the aisles, too....] Start again.
Ryanair specifically prohibit walking .... staves?!? as hand-baggage, but, of course, they can go in the hold. I guess many other airlines have the same rules.
I once queried this and pointed to a man with a full size metal crutch. "What about him?" I asked. "That's different!" was the reply. "But not your walking pole..." It went into the hold, but failed to arrive at the destination.
Now I either put it in a case in the hold, or simply buy a new one at my destination. I bought a lovely one for €6 in a Chinese bazaar.
Buen camino!

Good question. If you have a favorite staff, more than likely you will need to wrap it and check as things have tightened up with airlines over the years. I can certainly understand wanting to walk with a favorite and if your airline doesn't permit it on the plane, checking it is a good option.

Apologies for interrupting the SNL skit.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tie a tag on it and check it.
It will make it home fine.
Those things can NOT be broken if you're talking about the palos you buy along the way.
I TRIED breaking one one year when I had a meltdown on the meseta.
I hit it over and over and over again as hard as I could on a boulder.
It wouldn't break

Tie a tag on it and check it.
It will make it home fine.
Those things can NOT be broken if you're talking about the palos you buy along the way.
I TRIED breaking one one year when I had a meltdown on the meseta.
I hit it over and over and over again as hard as I could on a boulder.
It wouldn't break

AnnieSantiago: and this is why you are one of the few people I've chosen to follow...this amuses me to no end!

AnnieSantiago: and this is why you are one of the few people I've chosen to follow...this amuses me to no end!

Thanks.
It was a bit embarrassing.
And it hurt my hand!
I ended up tossing it out onto the Meseta and bought a new one next village!
It was quite a tantrum.
The Meseta does that to some folks. ::laughing::

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi
leave your staff at home,I always find one on the camino or it finds me,they become so personal I hate leaving them behind( i always leave them where arriving pilgrims can find them)
many of the old guys on the camino make them and store them by their gate,start from around 5 euros.
but I love to find them (they have to be on the floor and not broken from the living tree) and spend my free time carving and adorning them.
Ian

Thanks.
It was a bit embarrassing.
And it hurt my hand!
I ended up tossing it out onto the Meseta and bought a new one next village!
It was quite a tantrum.
The Meseta does that to some folks. ::laughing::
You tossed it out onto the Meseta! As in ...... littering?! :confused: Aaaaawg, please tell me you went and picked it up afterwards!!!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You tossed it out onto the Meseta! As in ...... littering?! :confused: Aaaaawg, please tell me you went and picked it up afterwards!!!!!

If you have read any of my posts the past few years, you know I do NOT litter on the Camino!
If you have not read any of my posts, then I promise you, I do NOT litter on the Camino :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you have read any of my posts the past few years, you know I do NOT litter on the Camino!
If you have not read any of my posts, then I promise you, I do NOT litter on the Camino :)
Annie returned a wooden object into the environment. I'm not sure that I would see that as littering:confused:
Annie, I am fully aware that you do not litter. I was just giving you a hard time. What I did not do, and should have done, was appreciate that you were talking about a wooden stick (as in palo > staff > stick). Thank you, Doug, for drawing that to my attention. My mistake, my mistake ..... ¡Lo Siento!

if you must take it with you,use ski bag.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.