• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking stick on the Camino Portugues

Doratheexplorer-13

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese Nov 2013
Do I really need a walking stick for the Porto to Santiago route. I have hiked/ backpacked many times over the years and never used a walking stick.
Advice ..?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I guess it depends a bit on your age, although plenty of youngsters use poles.

I was new to trekking before my camino Frances this year and always thought the people I saw walking the routes near to my home with poles looked rather silly and the click-clacking can be by annoying. However, after researching on this forum I purchased a pair of pacer poles which I took to instantly. They were so comfortable to use, were a considerable aid to walking up and down hills, and the absolute bonus was that with my hands elevated, I no longer suffered with puffy swollen fingers, which had been very uncomfortable prior to using the poles. I assumed this problem with puffy hands was age related, but my thirty year old daughter also suffered with the problem and often had to raise her arms and shake them about to try to reduce it.

The only negative is that you have to stow the poles under your arm in order to carry out any manual tasks. I suffered with a vey runny nose for my entire camino, and had to do a lot of stowing!

I always made the effort to put on the rubber tips when walking through towns and cities so as not to annoy the locals - as I had been annoyed in the past. I wouldn't consider doing another hike without them.

...........Camino Frances with my daughter - http://magwood.wordpress.com

I had the same problem on my 1st camino with my hands. When i got back and started looking at the forum properly I saw Falcon had posted something on it and it was to do with hands being in a maintained downward position and blood circulation....If I remember correctly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Dorathexplorer13

Im a regular mountain hiker. I have been using poles for some years now. There´re great. They are a great aid for your knees not only uphill but specially downhill. And on flat terrain they help you on your pace.
I agree with Magwood in town rubber tips should be used not only not to bother people with the noise it makes but to protect the pole tips.

Buen Camino!

I am an advocate of walking poles used properly. They reduce the impact load on your ankles, knees and hips, particularly when you are loaded up with a pack, can be a stability aid in more difficult terrain, and will generally help with conditions like oedema in the hands over a long day's walking.

Their benefits are not age dependent, but as an older walker with creaky joints, they certainly help keep me going.

Generally, if you are wearing the straps properly, they won't impede doing things like taking photographs, blowing one's nose, etc. The poles should hang below the wrist when you release the handle, leaving your hands free to do simple tasks. If the strap passes between your thumb and the rest of your hand when you release the handle, you are wearing the strap the wrong way.

You can choose to walk with a simple wooden pole, which is fine, but won't give the same benefits as using walking poles properly, but gives you that authentic pilgrim look! Or you can choose not to use anything.

I have not used Pacer poles. From what I have seen, their design makes them difficult to use incorrectly, which is probably their single biggest advantage. I have promised to keep an open mind on their other claimed advantages until I actually get a chance to try them in use.

It is my practice to have a supply of spare rubber tips to put on when walking on paved roads and footpaths. This stops most of the tapping noise.

Regards,

I was a little bit uninterested with poles when I started to plan my first Camiño. I bought one for some 8 or 9€, just to check how they work, and if the recommendations given where true. After a Trekking/Hicking using one, on the next day I ran out to buy the second one!

They are very useful for going up, but most importantly, for going down. I believe that if I didn't have my poles this year, I would never finish the Caminho.

They are also very good for other things just like to defend yourself from dogs, or even (non Caminho tip), if you go for a weekend in the wild, you can use them has a supporter for your shelter (if you don't take a tent, off course).

Unfortunately, buying low has its things: one of them broke itself in two last month. I don't know what happened, but one thing it's certain, I will make sure to buy some different ones. I will probably sell this one ate a second hand store things, and buy a good pair for me.

Best Regards
Diogo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well thanks for the tips (pun intended!).
I have another month and a half to think it through before I depart in Nov. ...

There's often a problem taking them with Ryanair [but that's another story!] I use one pole - not because I'm old!!! It helps push me uphill, and steadies me on steep downhills. On the route you're taking there's one very steep pass. If you're more comfortable without a pole, don't take one! It's a personal choice and absolutely nothing to do with age.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One definitely needs to carry a second set of rubber tips as it doesnt take long to wear them out. I would also recommend keeping an eye on your poles if you put them down. I stopped at Manjarin for about 10 mins in May this year, only to find someone had walked off with my poles and a broken pair behind, tied up with string. The hospitalero told me that a German couple had taken them about 5 minutes earlier, so I set off in hot pursuit and caught up with them 2 kms down the road. when I accosted him, he said that he had made a mistake (mine were blue and new and his were red and broken!). He said that if I was a lady, I would have brought his broken pair with me to give to him and he was most annoyed that he now had to walk 2kms back up the hill to retrieve his broken pair!

One definitely needs to carry a second set of rubber tips as it doesnt take long to wear them out. I would also recommend keeping an eye on your poles if you put them down. I stopped at Manjarin for about 10 mins in May this year, only to find someone had walked off with my poles and a broken pair behind, tied up with string. The hospitalero told me that a German couple had taken them about 5 minutes earlier, so I set off in hot pursuit and caught up with them 2 kms down the road. when I accosted him, he said that he had made a mistake (mine were blue and new and his were red and broken!). He said that if I was a lady, I would have brought his broken pair with me to give to him and he was most annoyed that he now had to walk 2kms back up the hill to retrieve his broken pair!

He must have been color blind (hahaha)

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For someone that is used to hiking and never used a stick or poles I would suggest that you continue as you always have. The purpose of using these other things is to aid in the walking in order to reduce fatigue. If you find you don't need them in the past, it is probably something that is not needed now. However, if you find that you are having more aches and pains; that you are not moving quite as well as you once did, try it out and see if it works.

As was said above, poles properly used are a good aid; however, it can be a preference for some and not others.

if you find that you are having more aches and pains
It may be because you do not use trekking poles. :) They not only help in preventing injuries, but they help retard the deterioration of stress points, hips, knees, and ankles specifically. Use poles in your thirties, and you may still be using them in your eighties. Wear out those knees in your thirties, you may be in an easy chair in your sixties. Most of us don't stay young forever, but we all miss the hubris of youth. Just sayin'.

It may be because you do not use trekking poles. :) They not only help in preventing injuries, but they help retard the deterioration of stress points, hips, knees, and ankles specifically. Use poles in your thirties, and you may still be using them in your eighties. Wear out those knees in your thirties, you may be in an easy chair in your sixties. Just sayin'.

Wise words:)

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Poles are age related for sure but they also helps distribute the weight of your backpack and I find they are totally essential on downhill slogs, say for instance the descent from the Cruz de Ferro where it is way to easy to twist an ankle. I suffer from sciatica and I could not do the Camino without my poles due to the pain and numbness in my right foot.

There are a couple of mis-conceptions here. The first is that poles are used in order to reduce fatigue. This just isn't borne out by the evidence, which is that pole use increases energy consumption, by up to as much as 46% for Nordic walking techniques, less for others. Why? The reasons given vary slightly, but revolve around the greater use of the upper body, and the work it does when poles are used. Pole use can also increase speed, increasing the rate of energy use. Any increased energy use is not going to reduce fatigue.

The second misconception is that
poles are age related
. There is a list of reasons for using trekking poles here, which is similar to other such lists. None of the 10 reasons are about age. The benefits of reducing the load on ankle, knee and hip joints are the same irrespective of age, although those of us a bit older might appreciate these more for our somewhat older bones.

People find pole use beneficial irrespective of downsides like increased energy expenditure and some interference with more complex manipulative tasks. And these benefits will be gained irrespective of the age of the user.

Regards,

Last edited:
I haven't read much dialogue about a walking stick. I carried mine from the US - funny, I carried it on planes and they wouldn't let me carry my 2 inch knife at the time! It was a gift and, perhaps, one of the best imaginable. Other pilgrims used poles, but I preferred the stick - made to order by a friend stateside! Only once (early on) did I place it down at a fuente and forget it.... I recovered it after a short time on the camino and it never left my side again! Oh, and I'll be glad to share sometime how it was quite helpful on a narrow street with an aggressive bovine!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I rather suspect a single walking pole might be seen as a mobility aid that an individual needs to have with them, rather than as a item of sporting equipment - the category into which trekking poles seem to be placed by aviation authorities.

I personally prefer a walking staff to poles, but to each their own ...

I'd say the heavier you are and the faster you walk each day, the more useful they become ; but they are also more useful on some parts of the Way than others, and I know nothing of the specifics of the Portuguese Way.

A staff, stick, or poles are IMO essential though for anyone with any kind of walking difficulties, optional for others.

They are extremely useful for negotiating mountain slopes upwards or downwards ; fording streams ; walking on slippery, muddy surfaces ; chasing away dogs. Whether these are enough to justify carrying the gear over all those parts of the Way not having these extra difficulties is up to you.

My own staff feels more like an extension of my own body than a foreign object, but it takes several weeks' worth of hiking with one 'til it starts feeling that way.

Do I really need a walking stick for the Porto to Santiago route. I have hiked/ backpacked many times over the years and never used a walking stick.
Advice ..?
I like them. Helps me keep my balance, helps me going up hill, and helps me going down steep hills. Mine fold down and fit inside my pack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Advice ..?
I used two and found that I really liked them, though my friend did not. They're not necessary I don't think, but often they are a help through overhanging plants or to give you a push, or to help your balance uphill and downhill. They saved me from a tumble once or twice! I'd use them again.

Forgot to say.. Up to three times we kept evil dogs away from us by using our poles as a weapon :mad:

For someone that is used to hiking and never used a stick or poles I would suggest that you continue as you always have. The purpose of using these other things is to aid in the walking in order to reduce fatigue. If you find you don't need them in the past, it is probably something that is not needed now.

It's one thing to be "used to hiking" and another thing to walk the Camino. I was "used to hiking" when I did the Camino this fall, but I was not used to walking 15 to 20 miles, every day, for a month. Unless one trains by walking similar distances, every day, the Camino may come as a bit of a shock to the body.

As far as fatigue goes, although it may be true that walking with poles uses more energy than walking without, this misses the point, which is that walking with poles spreads out the load and allows you to take some of the stress off the back, hips and knees, and do some of the work with your upper body, rather than just your legs. I am definitely in better shape after a long day of hiking with poles than after a long day of hiking without.

Not everyone needs poles, I suppose, but I can't imagine doing the Camino without them.

Karl

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I could not decide on poles, so waited until I was on the Camino. I ended up buying one pole in Pamplona for 9 Euros, and found it was the best decision for me. I like having a free hand.

It's one thing to be "used to hiking" and another thing to walk the Camino. I was "used to hiking" when I did the Camino this fall, but I was not used to walking 15 to 20 miles, every day, for a month. Unless one trains by walking similar distances, every day, the Camino may come as a bit of a shock to the body.

As far as fatigue goes, although it may be true that walking with poles uses more energy than walking without, this misses the point, which is that walking with poles spreads out the load and allows you to take some of the stress off the back, hips and knees, and do some of the work with your upper body, rather than just your legs. I am definitely in better shape after a long day of hiking with poles than after a long day of hiking without.

Not everyone needs poles, I suppose, but I can't imagine doing the Camino without them.

Karl
Well said...I agree totally

Do I really need a walking stick for the Porto to Santiago route. ..
Hi , I do use poles now (I'm 70) and I like them a lot especially for downhill slippery sections But I did walk the Camino Frances twice (SJPP-Santiago & Finisterre) without them and didn't miss them since I wasn't used to them. Nor did I have any obvious (to me at least) issues with joints or anything.
One benefit I noticed this year after walking 1200km with them was how much stronger my upper body was when I was done - and yes the wobbly under arms were significantly improved! That alone made them worth it:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One benefit I noticed this year after walking 1200km with them was how much stronger my upper body was when I was done - and yes the wobbly under arms were significantly improved! That alone made them worth it:)
So true, upper body toning is one of the great benefits of regular pole use. It won't make you Mr/Mrs Universe, but it does wonders for those aunty arms.

ps having just seen a criticism that antipodean jokes are difficult for our US cousins to understand, link here for an explanation. I am sure there will be similar colloquialisms for this phenomena in other English dialects.

Leon Redbone, a jazzsinger from the USA wrote in one of his songs :

Without my walking stick ,I,d go insane,
I can,t look my best, I feel undressed without my cane ! :D

We wish you all merry Xmas and happy, healthy and prosperous 2014

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 10
We walked from Porto to Santiago without poles. Personally for me I like to be hands free...but that said if I did it again I would reconsider. There are some areas where I think they might have come in handy. There are a few times when it is steep and/or rugged but we just went slow. And I guess if it helps with knees and hips etc. that is a good thing although we did quite well without using. I saw many people with and many without. We had never back packed before. I guess it just comes down to personal preference...It is a beautiful camino! Enjoy!!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My experience with walking poles:

1. Thought they were dorky and the tap-tap drove me CRAZY!!!

2. Used them anyway on my Camino because of recommendations on this forum. Figured I could stash them in my Backpack side pockets if I didn't use them

3. Found I used them for two purposes - 1) balance, 2) power.

4. I've said it before, I'll say it again, hiking poles turn you from a two legged animal into a four legged animal. The improvement can be tremendous.

5. I did not use them when I didn't need them. In towns and cities, on relatively flat sidewalks, smooth mountain paths, etc. I believe that using them when you don't need them throws your body alignment off just a touch. No problem in the short run, but do it for days/weeks on end and I think your body will feel negative effects. IMHO.

6. NEVER dragged them along the ground. The sound of my companions doing this for kilometers at a time drove me insane.

7. I lost the rubber tip on one on the first day of my journey, SJPdP to Roncevalles when it got sucked off by the mud. Does that give you an idea of the conditions? I lost the tip on the second on the last day of trip, during the 3-day bus ride home. Don't know what to make of that.

8. I saw several young people limping along very painfully (because of knee problems, not blisters), some who refused to use poles, others who bought poles after the fact. We all agree that people using poles when they're walking in shopping malls looks as dumb as can be (clearly not needing them). But on the trail, they are equipment that may be truly worth their weight in gold. This is not age related.

9. I found that if I tried to use them when I didn't need them, they threw my pace off and ate up too much energy. I needed them on slippery sections, slender bridges over water/heights, and often going downhill especially where it was rocky. For power, I used them going up hills and even stairs when I needed an extra boost. The improvement was instant.

10. I wouldn't consider for a minute going hiking without them. I honestly never had a second of discomfort in my knees, even with a backpack that was heavier than it should have been, and I walked the whole way.

Footek.. Re: your point 8. We did a fortnight trainingstage here in Holland during the springtime and people stopped and mentioned we had forgotten our skis :mad: First time it is lol but after a while you only show your stretched middlefinger to this kind of brainless idiots .During our caminho in Portugal and Spain we did not have this experience at all.
We only had the benefits of using the poles. 30% less pressure at your knees, more balance. Pace aid like a musical metronome tick tick tick. :D
Keep evil dogs away from you in case of an attack of them (happened us serveral times)

We only had the benefits of using the poles. 30% less pressure at your knees, more balance.
The scientific studies that I have seen on reductions of ground reaction force and vertical knee loading do not support the suggestion you will reduce knee pressure by 30%. The studies that I have seen vary from no benefit at worst, through to about 7.5% decrease of knee loading at best. Do you have a source for the 30% figure?

Regards,

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My experience with walking poles:
5. I did not use them when I didn't need them. In towns and cities, on relatively flat sidewalks, smooth mountain paths, etc. I believe that using them when you don't need them throws your body alignment off just a touch. No problem in the short run, but do it for days/weeks on end and I think your body will feel negative effects. IMHO.
9. I found that if I tried to use them when I didn't need them, they threw my pace off and ate up too much energy. I needed them on slippery sections, slender bridges over water/heights, and often going downhill especially where it was rocky. For power, I used them going up hills and even stairs when I needed an extra boost. The improvement was instant.
Unlike @FooteK, I use my walking poles pretty much continually when I am walking, and without the downside effects described in her post. The benefits in reduced lower joint loading arise just as easily in city and urban areas as in the country. I also find using poles when carrying a pack aids my posture, reducing the tendency to lean forward to bring one's overall centre of gravity in line with one's hips.

Regards,

Last edited:
My experience with training with poles

: within the 1st month of training I bought walking poles and began using them aggressively like a Nordic skier would, I noticed my pace increased but not comfort doing these distances. I believed that the poles contributed 25% to the effort required.
: with the help of hindsight, this benefit does not reduce the effort on all leg muscles equally. Calf muscles work harder, quads, glutes, hamstrings work less I think. In effect, my legs were being trained un-evenly with the aggressive use of poles.
: less upper body strength increased but the major leg muscles were not so much
: a physiotherapist I met along the Camino told me that poles can easily cause your stride to elongate more than without poles. This tightens the calves, pulling on the achilles and all the muscles and tendons in the feet.
"What is the solution"I asked?
"Stretching at day's end!"
"How much", I asked?
"15 to 20 min per leg per day" she said
"YIKES! That will ruin my Camino experience" I protested.
"Any alternatives" I inquired hopefully?
"Yes, stop using the poles for propulsion, just use them for stability" she replied.
This all took place in Mansilla de las Mulas, 450 km into my Camino and my feet were a mess. It wasn't the boots that were going out of shape, it was my feet.

So true, upper body toning is one of the great benefits of regular pole use. It won't make you Mr/Mrs Universe, but it does wonders for those aunty arms.

ps having just seen a criticism that antipodean jokes are difficult for our US cousins to understand, link here for an explanation. I am sure there will be similar colloquialisms for this phenomena in other English dialects.

@dougfitz, love the colloquialism 'aunty arms' - not heard that one before. In my part of the UK we call them 'bingo wings' (because they flap about when you raise your arm and shout 'house'). I am disappointed to report that my pacer poles did nothing to tighten them up!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The scientific studies that I have seen on reductions of ground reaction force and vertical knee loading do not support the suggestion you will reduce knee pressure by 30%. The studies that I have seen vary from no benefit at worst, through to about 7.5% decrease of knee loading at best. Do you have a source for the 30% figure?

Regards,
The outdoorshop we bought them was our source . Anyway we walked about 1000 kms with the poles and benefitted us both in walking, climbing steep hills , decending steep hills and as being said They kept us from being bitten in the calves by quadruped terrors with sharp teeth.

The outdoorshop we bought them was our source . Anyway we walked about 1000 kms with the poles and benefitted us both in walking, climbing steep hills , decending steep hills and as being said They kept us from being bitten in the calves by quadruped terrors with sharp teeth.
I agree that there are benefits, just not anywhere near the level that you claimed earlier. The available evidence does not support the sales pitch you appear to have been given.

Regards

I had the same problem on my 1st camino with my hands. When i got back and started looking at the forum properly I saw Falcon had posted something on it and it was to do with hands being in a maintained downward position and blood circulation....If I remember correctly.

"Pendant edema" is the clinical term. It's easily addressed: I just hitch my hands up on my backpack straps, farmer-overall style, and it goes away in a few minutes. Pockets around the waist are good for resting hands in, too.

I personally have a hard time with poles because I've tripped over them at times, especially towards the end of the day when I'm a little tired. I've seen some black eyes/scuffed faces from folks who had similar accidents, falling face down, ouch, which doesn't mean you shouldn't carry/use poles, but they aren't for everyone. Like hats, or shoes, or packs, or walking speed: it's a very individual thing.

Best of luck to all of you on your journeys on and off camino!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree that there are benefits, just not anywhere near the level that you claimed earlier. The available evidence does not support the sales pitch you appear to have been given.

Regards
I am sorry I cannot help you out. We must believe what has been told to us. But I do not doubt about what you say .and I know in outdoor shops there is not allways the knowledge available.
I was before becoming a pensionado, just an international salesman,selling trailers for heavy transport up to 120 tons payload. That was more my thing.

I am sorry I cannot help you out. We must believe what has been told to us. But I do not doubt about what you say .and I know in outdoor shops there is not allways the knowledge available.
I was before becoming a pensionado, just an international salesman,selling trailers for heavy transport up to 120 tons payload. That was more my thing.
I very rarely believe what I have been told, especially by sales people, without checking with other sources. Here are links to a couple of abstracts of scientific papers on the effects of walking poles that might give you a better picture of the benefits: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11194099 and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24041585.

Regards,

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back