• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking stick

Ssmind

Time of past OR future Camino
April May 2019
I am five foot seven. I have 120 CM walking sticks where am I arms are slightly elevated up so they are little bit taller. Should I go to 110 cm or stick with the 120? They are non-adjustable.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I use adjustable trekking poles - the inflexibility of fixed length poles is a real disincentive from my perspective. However, having walking the CF, CI and to Muxia/Finisterre, there isn't the same need for pole length adjustments that there are on other routes that I have walked.

I am a few cm taller than you, and my 'standard' pole length setting is 115 cm. This has my hands slightly lower than my elbows, a position I find more comfortable than having my forearms level or slightly raised. Based on this, I would expect that you will find a shorter pole length more comfortable. If you weren't going to take the opportunity to buy an adjustable pole, I would suggest that you try the shorter length.

Most times I turn my sticks aft to get a nice speed increase, and I keep my mark fairly high (125 cm).
I am 6 foot or about 184 cm, and this seems to fit uin most situation.
If you are a brisk walker you might not find a slight elevation cumbersome at all !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Your height doesn't really have anything to do with it; well, it's not the deciding factor. Standard theory is to hold the poles loosely in front of you. When your elbows are at 90 degrees, you have them at the right height.
My neighbor is shorter than me, yet she sets her poles at 110cm, where I'm at 105cm - go figure.

You can google "how to use nordic walking poles" for videos on this. Practically, it's what's comfortable.

You can google "how to use nordic walking poles" for videos on this. Practically, it's what's comfortable.
My own observation is that trekking and nordic walking are quite different, which leads to differences in the way poles are used in the different walking styles. While you might want to use some elements of the nordic walking approach, the Camino is much more classic trekking, and using a pure nordic walking approach unlikely to be the best balance.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used to be 6 foot even. After six Caminos, and six years of aging, I am now 5'10"... go figure. Anyway, I now use 120 cm non-adjustable Black Diamond Carbon Fiber poles.

It is impossible to diagnose this from a distance. But I am thinking that at 5'7" you are likely better with the 110 cm poles. Here is how you determine whether you go with one set of poles or another...

The correct alignment of your arms, with properly adjusted poles, occurs when your forearm (the bit from elbow to wrist) is PARALLEL to the ground. Higher or lower poles will cause added stress on your back, shoulders, arms or legs.

Shoe or boot sole thickness affects this precise geometry. So try this observation wearing the footwear you will walk the Camino in on your feet.

It also helps to have another person assess the degree of parallelism. I found this difficult to gauge using a mirror, unless a full-length mirror.

Hope this helps.

I adored my Pacer Poles. I had regular poles before and these are hands down better for hand fatigue and the extra boost up some of the steep hills not to mention descending.... and added bonus is that both my arms and back became much stronger during the hike. In addition they collapsed to a shorter length which allowed them to be stored inside my pack for checked luggage... obviously, i'm an enthusiastic supporter of them! Best of luck and Buen Camino!

https://www.pacerpole.com/

Wow, such a lot of science to determine optimum pole length! I feel like a real rookie since I just extended them a ways and started walking. A longer length (nordic?) is better for me because I use them to boost myself along when going uphill. My legs get tired a long time before my arms do.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am five foot seven. I have 120 CM walking sticks where am I arms are slightly elevated up so they are little bit taller. Should I go to 110 cm or stick with the 120? They are non-adjustable.
I am 6 feet tall and own both 120cm and 130cm fixed length trekking poles. I found the 120cm poles to be more comfortable for me. You may want to try a shorter pair and judge for yourself. Buen Camino

Diamond Z poles worked great for me. Adjustable for up and down hill, which helped my bad knee. I was more comfortable with my hands a bit higher than parallel to my body.
Because the poles folded into 3rds it was easy to keep them in my pack when I didn't need to use them. Also no need to leave my poles in the Albergues stack.

It may take a bit, but get what is comfortable for you and figure out what works best.

I adored my Pacer Poles. I had regular poles before and these are hands down better for hand fatigue and the extra boost up some of the steep hills not to mention descending.... and added bonus is that both my arms and back became much stronger during the hike. In addition they collapsed to a shorter length which allowed them to be stored inside my pack for checked luggage... obviously, i'm an enthusiastic supporter of them! Best of luck and Buen Camino!

I love and recommend Pacer Poles too! I learned about them on the forum, and since I had never used poles before they seemed to be idiot proof with their ergonomic grip. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I agree! These are by far the best poles I have ever had. I had always had numbness in my hands before,but now none. Anyone should try these out for themselves. You do have to buy them from merry old England.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.