• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking sticks and pilgrim passport

plugrules

Walking stick:

Seeing as I am flying with Ryanair, which has the ludicrous policy of charging 10 pounds for each piece of checked luggage, I am hoping to be able to buy a walking stick in Seville or Merida. Does anyone have any ideas of where I can find them or how much they might cost? I don't want walking poles; I would like a good old fashioned walking stick. Suggestions?

Pilgrim Passport:

I am leaving for the camino on the 22nd and will be starting in Merida but will have a day or two in Seville. Is it possible to acquire a passport in Merida if I don't manage to obtain one in Seville?

Any help is much appreciated,

Michael

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Passport first. You are going to Seville and will therefore see the great Cathedral. Around the side of that is the pilgrim office and there you can get your passport. If not you can no doubt get one from CSJ before you leave. Send them a mail on "Contact us".
Walking sticks are fairly easily found (and disposed of) along the way.

From what I can tell you can get a credencial/passport in Merida from here:

ASOCIACIÓN DE AMIGOS DEL CAMINO DE SANTIAGO DE MERIDA
Delgado Valencia, 3 - 06300 - Mérida
Telf: 924 312 309

Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago, Mérida - Aljucén
C/ San Andrés, 23
Aljucén (Mérida)
Telf.: 690 06 09 75

In Sevilla you know about the Cathedral Office. They are also available at the office of the Friends of the Camino based at:

c/ San Jacinto, 25. Portal 6, local 4. 41010 Sevilla

Telephone: 954 335 274 Mobile: 696 600 602

The Office appears to be open Monday to Friday 9am - 1pm
and Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 7pm until 9pm.

The office is just across the Triana Bridge right next to the Bar Miami which has an interesting display on the walls about the Camino because the owner is a camino veteran on horseback. It is a few yards off the route if you follow the arrows from the Cathedral.

I don't use a stick all the time and therefore was content to use what was easily available when I needed it.

Buen Camino

John

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'd have though that there'd be a Corte Ingles in Seville so you should be able to get a hiking pole from there. Alternatively buy one at home and strap it to your pack.

there certainly is a Corte but as I remember it wasn't great for outdoor stuff - they referred me to a place I couldn't find! But Minkey, the pilgirm is look for a walking stick - a Baston - on the VdlP I just picked up sticks whenever I needed one - which is certainly the case on the first few stages - especially before going into Monasterio where the path is precariously perched behind the barrier on the hard shoulder!

Now an idea might be to set up a redistribution business for all of the sticks left at the pilgrims' office in Santiago - Ivar???? :)

Ah... Just a suggestion! I think poles are better than old fashioned sticks, personally! On my first time around I took nothing and suffered. I didn't want to fork out for a stick that'd been carved and polished and failed to see anything remotely walking stick like on the way!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
same 'ole stick

IO have used the same 'ole stick now for thousands of miles (and many more kilometers) and am reluctant to retire it. But I have come up with a more travler friendly alternative and am going to start with it on my next Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back