• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking sticks on the Portuguese

Clark

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to hike the Portuguese Way from Porto to Santiago in May 2018
Hello,

I see a lot on the Camino Frances boards regarding the need for walking sticks, especially in the Pyrenees. I'll be taking the Camino Portuguese (combination coastal way, central way and spiritual variant) next year which, as far as I can tell, had no extreme inclines or declines.

That being said, are walking sticks really necessary on a mostly level Camino?

Thank you!
Clark

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello,

I see a lot on the Camino Frances boards regarding the need for walking sticks, especially in the Pyrenees. I'll be taking the Camino Portuguese (combination coastal way, central way and spiritual variant) next year which, as far as I can tell, had no extreme inclines or declines.

Thank you!
Clark
boa vinda on the forum -
And how lovely that you'll be on the caminho portuguese. Bom Caminho!
Anyones " really necessary ?" will be different. For me, YES! necessary!
i walked from Lisboa to SdC - and did one day without the LEKI hiking poles from Matasinho to Vila de Conde - and lived to regret it. My line of - not so smart - reasoning was: it's all flat - and much walking on wooden boardwalk - don't need the poles.
Well, walking towards VdC I noticed with some dismay that my hands/fingers were swollen. Not so amusing. And that only ever happened on that day when i walked sans poles. Then onwards I decided that no matter how flat the terrain would be, i'd be using the poles regardless.

found them also very very useful when traversing mud-stretches, roman roads, creeks/rivers etc.
not to mention to keep the very speedy portuguese drivers at some sort of distance that isn't heart-stopping.
(using it as a sort of flag-pole) or chase away/keep on distance pesky dogs.

ah, and when you do think of the PC as "on a mostly level Camino" - it is at your own peril :)
cheers -
c

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used my poles all the time on the Frances, not just on the hills.
I wanted to make sure that my arms got a workout as well as my legs.
Also, using poles keep your hands from swelling.

They prevent your hands from swelling? I didn't know that would happen. Any idea why that is?

boa vinda on the forum -
And how lovely that you'll be on the caminho portuguese. Bom Caminho!
Anyones " really necessary ?" will be different. For me, YES! necessary!
i walked from Lisboa to SdC - and did one day without the LEKI hiking poles from Matasinho to Vila de Conde - and lived to regret it. My line of - not so smart - reasoning was: it's all flat - and much walking on wooden boardwalk - don't need the poles.
Well, walking towards VdC I noticed with some dismay that my hands/fingers were swollen. Not so amusing. And that only ever happened on that day when i walked sans poles. Then onwards I decided that no matter how flat the terrain would be, i'd be using the poles regardless.

found them also very very useful when traversing mud-stretches, roman roads, creeks/rivers etc.
not to mention to keep the very speedy portuguese drivers at some sort of distance that isn't heart-stopping.
(using it as a sort of flag-pole) or chase away/keep on distance pesky dogs.

ah, and when you do think of the PC as "on a mostly level Camino" - it is at your own peril :)
cheers -
c

Thank you for the advice! I can honestly say that I had never heard of one's hands swelling during the walk before. This is definitely something I'll have to bear in mind.

Thank you for the advice! I can honestly say that I had never heard of one's hands swelling during the walk before. This is definitely something I'll have to bear in mind.
Some of us are lucky that way :) I definitely swell up while walking. Hands, arms and legs to a lesser extent. On longer walks without sticks I find myself doing weird hand exercises to try and get everything moving. I find that it's a water retention thing for me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Clark yes you won't be crossing the Pyrenees but the CP isn't flat all the way. Using poles is really down to personal preference, I find they just seem to make walking easier on knees, hips and ankles nowadays but never bothered with them until recently. Maybe try out some long-ish walks with a pack before you go and see how you get on?

Hi Clark yes you won't be crossing the Pyrenees but the CP isn't flat all the way. Using poles is really down to personal preference, I find they just seem to make walking easier on knees, hips and ankles nowadays but never bothered with them until recently. Maybe try out some long-ish walks with a pack before you go and see how you get on?

Yeah I think that's my plan at this point. If I go with walking poles I don't plan on picking any up until I'm in Portugal. Really don't want the hassle at the airport.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walking poles are aids for most people, and the benefits come from their proper use in all conditions, not just in difficult terrain. They provide their benefits on level surfaces as well as on climbs and descents.
They prevent your hands from swelling? I didn't know that would happen. Any idea why that is?

My hands will sometimes swell if I walk long distances, particularly if it warm.
Apparently the reason why it happens isn't entirely understood, but keeping your hands active with the poles does keep it from happening.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/edema/expert-answers/hand-swelling/faq-20058255
Exercise induced oedema of the hands isn't that uncommon, although I find it more common with vigourous walking like longer distance race-walks. I have a tendency during these to let my forearms fall below the more ideal position of being held about level as they move back and forth in sync with my feet. The response at the link given by @trecile appears to ignore the possibility that gravity and centrifugal forces might be at work increasing and retaining the fluid in the hands.

For me, the simplest and most effective measure is to maintain the bend in my elbow to keep the forearms level. For my regular walking, this is easily achieved by using walking poles.

Yeah I think that's my plan at this point. If I go with walking poles I don't plan on picking any up until I'm in Portugal. Really don't want the hassle at the airport.
While learning to use poles properly should not be a particularly difficult thing, I continue to be amazed by the large proportion of people who are prepared to make what for many is a large financial investment in good poles, but do not appear to have made a similar investment in their time to learn to use them properly. Other things aside, there are only a couple of key things to learn
  1. how to put your hands through the straps and adjust the straps to be effective, and
  2. how and where to move the poles in sync with your legs to get maximum effect on the level, up and downhill.
If you are going to get poles on arrival, I recommend borrowing a pair and investing a little time in learning how to use them before you go.

Last edited:
I have never used walking poles but I did buy the large walking pole that they sell along the Camino. As a woman walking alone, it made me feel more comfortable (I have had some staff fighting training through HEMA). It also helped when I came across stray dogs. Not that I would hit them (I love dogs) but it gave them something to sniff before they walked on.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

My hands swell even walking flat ground at home if I walk continuously for more that about an hour. If I bend my elbows and move my arms as if I were marching then the swelling goes away in a relatively short period of time. I used poles on the Portuguese route last year more than half of the time and will bring them with me again this year. When I use the poles there is less chance of my hands swelling from not being used and less chance of my lips swelling due to a face plant. YMMV.

Buen Camino!

Depending upon whether you are tenting or not, there are some tents that allow walking poles/walking sticks to be used as the supports for the tent, so they could also do double duty and save you from carrying tent poles.

I have knee issues and find poles invaluable. They definitely take a significant amount of pressure off the knees. I, too, find my hands swelling without them. You can also wrap a bunch of duct tape around them for emergency duct tape or medical tape needs and not have to carry extra tape. They are wonderful for tricky spots, crossing streams, helping someone else to cross a stream, or even as a loaner to help someone out who is injured.

I personally wouldn't do a hike like the Camino without them. And so long as you get collapsible ones,they are no problem at the airport. I've done it before and have looked online and everyone seems to have no problem even as a carry-on.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Another point about the CP, yes the mountains are not as high, but many are very steep either going up or down and sometimes both, so my poles were very helpful....

Would that be everyone except the air safety regulators like the TSA, which lists them here as a prohibited item in carry on luggage?
This has been my experience as well. I'm flying Iberia from Heathrow this time, and called them specifically to ask about poles in carry-ons a few weeks ago. They said "no" to carrying them on, and the other U.S.-based airlines wouldn't permit them the previous Caminos either. Vueling doesn't permit them in carry-ons either.

My 12-year old daughter and I walked the Portugese Camino recently, and very quickly picked up a staff each. Mine was solid wood, hers was bamboo and very light. My daughters one had a crack in it which "clicked" when she placed it on the ground, so she named them "Clicky" and "Sticky". They became like a third limb to each of us and were invaluable for bracing going up or down steep slopes. The picture of us in Santiago shows us waving them triumphantly on arrival. When it came to leave them behind in the pile at the pilgrims office, we both felt we were leaving a friend behind.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a Scheuerman between my shoulderblades and the poles makes it possible to adjust my stance by arresting my upper body / torso where I would otherwise crouch too much when strained or tired.
2) it aids my going down on steep declines. When and if my legs and especially quads stiffen up, I know I will be very slow to correct a misstep and know that I will fall like a log of wood.
I chose the Leki Micro Ti that fold down to 38 cm and will fly inside my stored luggage.
I have never regretted buying & bringing them.
Only drawback - I find it compelling to replacing the rubber tips back on when entering towns and walking on concrete and tarmac. It is annoying to the locals to hear the tickety tack all day long.
Furthermore I use them with some force to counter sore feet and extend them on stretches where I can thrust back to propel me forward ( Nordic Style Walk)
Do not just use them lightly, otherwise they are of no use.
Contemplate the bare fact that when you place each hand on the poles, you take away 5 kgs from every arm, as they are kept up by these remote supports. A nice fact when having aching legs, sore feet and too heavy a rucksack.

Last edited:
- but don´t you miss the bite the bare tips have when hitting rocks and hard gravel, then ?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
- but don´t you miss the bite the bare tips have when hitting rocks and hard gravel, then ?

The rubber tips for my PacerPoles work well for me on all surfaces including rocks and hard gravel. I wish I could mount them permanently and not have metal tips at all. YMMV.

If you're younger and fitter, and on a flatter terrain, you can certainly get by without poles or a staff.

The older and greyer you become, the more useful they will tend to be.

And whilst there's certainly some degree of personal taste involved, and also some variables of physical needs, as well as the possibility of previous experience with poles, skiing for example, all of which can foster a natural preference for the one over the other ---

A staff is better all things being equal than poles, but it also takes far longer to learn how to use one properly, so that for a shorter Camino (less than 1200-1500 Km), poles are probably more advisable to most people. This is also because it can be quite hard to find a staff of the right wood, height, thickness, strength, and weight ; whereas finding the right sort of poles is dead easy.

Nevertheless, use a staff if you are big and tall and heavy, or you have the sort of mobility problems that require something strong to easily support your full weight when needed ; poles if you have no such problems and you're unsure that you need any sort of stick in the first place, or if you're looking for a means to help boost your speed and the regularity of your pace without encumbering yourself with a large piece of wood.

Used properly, a staff provides the same advantages as a pair of poles, though the technique is very different, and it takes a very long time to be sufficiently familiar with a staff for its use to feel natural and fluid.

A staff is better all things being equal than poles, but it also takes far longer to learn how to use one properly, so that for a shorter Camino (less than 1200-1500 Km), poles are probably more advisable to most people. This is also because it can be quite hard to find a staff of the right wood, height, thickness, strength, and weight ; whereas finding the right sort of poles is dead easy.

Nevertheless, use a staff if you are big and tall and heavy, or you have the sort of mobility problems that require something strong to easily support your full weight when needed ; poles if you have no such problems and you're unsure that you need any sort of stick in the first place, or if you're looking for a means to help boost your speed and the regularity of your pace without encumbering yourself with a large piece of wood.

Used properly, a staff provides the same advantages as a pair of poles, though the technique is very different, and it takes a very long time to be sufficiently familiar with a staff for its use to feel natural and fluid.
This is a very personal perspective. I used a ash plant staff for many years before switching to a single trekking pole, and I have regularly used two poles for nearly 15 years. My view is that there is little advantage to having a staff, and many more advantages to properly used trekking poles.

In particular, I would place more trust in the weight bearing capabilities of my trekking poles than any staff - not because of any inherent qualities but because a properly worn strap on a trekking pole is going to carry my weight - I doubt that I could grip a staff so that it wouldn't slip through my hands under extreme conditions.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Clark,
As you can see, there are lots of different views and many of these are held strongly! However it's hard for you to know which of these persons' experiences and capabilities in any way match your own.
You say you are planning to make your camino next year, so it looks like you've plenty of time to carry out your own experiments... I suggest you get your camino pack together and hike camino-stage distances over a couple of days in succession, if you can manage the time. You could maybe do one weekend without poles and another with them (either borrow a pair or maybe buy some cheaper ones) and see how you get on.
Personally I prefer a good stick/staff, but these are a lot easier to source from the deadwood of a Basque forest than from the streets of Porto... unless you get one of the shop-sold ones that SoloCamino mentions above.
cheers, tom

I've used trekking poles for over 5,000 backpacking miles and wished that I had discovered them far earlier. I currently use Leki adjustable poles, with the quick release levers to adjust the sections for length or to collapse them when not needed. Since my ultralight tent uses my trekking poles for the uprights, they serve multiple uses.

After much use, I found that I did not like the straps and removed them. Although some feel that the straps add to the efficacy of trekking pole use, I found this not to be the case for me. A lot of backpackers agree with me, others don't. It takes time to properly evaluate what works best for you.

Aside from not improving anything for me performance wise, there are some other reasons that I long ago gave up straps:

1. quickly let go of poles if they get stuck and avoid breaking/bending poles
2. quickly hold both poles to grab your water bottle and drink while walking
3. quickly hold both poles to ascend or descend a short steep section when I need my hands
4. quickly drop both poles down to descent a section you need your hands
5. switch grips between the handle, under the grip, etc
6. I have met backpackers who have broken wrists due to falling and the straps trapping their wrists when a pole became lodged at an awkward angle.

And, yes, one would be correct to say that falls can produce broken wrists that have nothing to do with straps and poles. But these were the direct result of using the straps. And, yes, many folks use their straps, fall, and never break a wrist.

Here's a YouTube of how to properly use the straps:

Coincidentally, the demonstrator is using the same model of Leki poles that I am now using. Small world.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've used trekking poles for over 5,000 backpacking miles and wished that I had discovered them far earlier. I currently use Leki adjustable poles, with the quick release levers to adjust the sections for length or to collapse them when not needed. Since my ultralight tent uses my trekking poles for the uprights, they serve multiple uses.

After much use, I found that I did not like the straps and removed them. Although some feel that the straps add to the efficacy of trekking pole use, I found this not to be the case for me. A lot of backpackers agree with me, others don't. It takes time to properly evaluate what works best for you.

Aside from not improving anything for me performance wise, there are some other reasons that I long ago gave up straps:

1. quickly let go of poles if they get stuck and avoid breaking/bending poles
2. quickly hold both poles to grab your water bottle and drink while walking
3. quickly hold both poles to ascend or descend a short steep section when I need my hands
4. quickly drop both poles down to descent a section you need your hands
5. switch grips between the handle, under the grip, etc
6. I have met backpackers who have broken wrists due to falling and the straps trapping their wrists when a pole became lodged at an awkward angle.

And, yes, one would be correct to say that falls can produce broken wrists that have nothing to do with straps and poles. But these were the direct result of using the straps. And, yes, many folks use their straps, fall, and never break a wrist.

Here's a YouTube of how to properly use the straps:

Coincidentally, the demonstrator is using the same model of Leki poles that I am now using. Small world.
Thanks! Good advice on video, I love my poles!

We walked the Portuguese from Lisbon in fall of 2016. I use walking sticks on my 'normal' hikes around home so I am a big proponent of them. I feel like I am working my arms as well as my legs exercise wise so benefit there too. There are some VERY steep sections of the CP as I recall, road and track. Bom Camiho!!!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I flew Vueling Santiago to Paris 2014 with my poles as carry on and it was no problem, In fact I flew from NZ and back and had no issue with them
Flying on UAE to Madrid and Lisbon in June 2017 again with carry on and envisage no problem

Having just finished the Portuguese with sticks I'm not sure I'd bother if doing it again. They do help with the huge amount of cobbles you'll encounter though.

Just finished my second Portugese and both time I was using a bamboo stick found "on the way" (I also didn't bother a hassle with airport security). Every time this helped me a lot: as a walking aid, a drying line, a threat for the "flasher" and dogs (single walker). I would say not "necessary" but "very helpful". And also helps for swelling hands ;)

And the staff at Santiago airport. They showed me a room full of confiscated poles.
Yes they confiscate all poles as you leave Santiago unless they are checked in. Yet I managed to take them in my pack as hand luggage from Sydney- Abu Dhabi - Madrid - Porto.
Was hoping they would donate all the confiscated poles

Just finished my second Portugese and both time I was using a bamboo stick found "on the way" (I also didn't bother a hassle with airport security). Every time this helped me a lot: as a walking aid, a drying line, a threat for the "flasher" and dogs (single walker). I would say not "necessary" but "very helpful". And also helps for swelling hands ;)

Is it easy to find a bamboo/ rattan /wood stick or staff in the beginning from Lisbon? I also think that such a tool would be helpful for me.

All good points -- there's a qualitative difference though between using a staff as an aid and using one properly.

You're quite right about the hands though !!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Is it easy to find a bamboo/ rattan /wood stick or staff in the beginning from Lisbon? I also think that such a tool would be helpful for me.
I always started from Porto... There is lots of fields on the way - just look around :) Buen Camino

Hi and welcome to the forum @Nachko
Whilst it is certainly true that the Camino provides, a better way might be perhaps to buy a walking stick that fits you well in height and style on arrival ;-) Buen Camino, SY

I usually walk with a single stick or pole. For the past couple of years I have brought a rubber walking stick ferrule from home then bought a wooden broom handle from a ferreteria or China Bazaar on arrival in Spain or Portugal. I tie my spare boot laces to the hanging loop as a wrist strap. Works very well for me. Cheap and simple.

Numerous posts have been deleted in this thread that are simply argumentive and criticism of other posters.

Personal opinions on equipment based on experience are always welcome when expressed as opinion and what has worked for the poster.

Criticism of the personal opinions of others will be deleted.

Geeez...why all the ugly stuff lately???
Think a bit before posting...please

Once again late to the "party" I like them for 4 reasons Stability, reduces my leg pain over 15 miles, & my hands don't go numb. The last thing you can use them to keep personal space.

Problems I have seen when they don't get folded up in cities in large crowds Kids/adults getting poked walking behind the person with the poles. They become trip hazards.
Keith

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back