• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking sticks / poles in Ferrol?

jdriver

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles (July 2014)
Okay, so I get into Santiago July 18 then bus to Ferrol where I am staying the night. Is there any place in particular where I might buy a walking stick by the Harbour or in town before I head off the next morning?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Okay, so I get into Santiago July 18 then bus to Ferrol where I am staying the night. Is there any place in particular where I might buy a walking stick by the Harbour or in town before I head off the next morning?
Look at internet for any Decathlon store around Ferrol. They sell them

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Okay thanks! I'm really looking for wooden walking poles or sticks. I understand they sell them at the start of the Francis all over, just wondering fighter are outside vendors or people selling them as you leave?

Thanks!

I think you will find a walking staff easily. Especially in Ferrol a starting Camino port. I am starting there in Oct 1 and I always use a walking staff then leave it at pilgrim office. Buen Camino

Our wonderful volunteers at the Pilgrim Office in SdC keep a selection of [free] wooden poles for anyone who wants to take one.
Travelling with Ryanair, I was unable to take an alluminium walking pole, but picked up a wooden one at the Office.
Later on the camino I passed a Chinese Bazaar and noticed 'proper' alluminium telescopic poles by their till - and bought one for €6 - a bargain indeed!
When my camino was completed [3 days ago] I left that brand new pole amongst the free wooden ones at the Pilgrim Office, and it was taken within about an hour :) I hope it gives another pilgrim the support and comfort that it gave me.
Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I may be speaking out of turn but fear that the Camino Ingles is a lot quieter than others and therefore the availability of wooden staffs, whether to buy or pick up, may be limited. If you have the time in Santiago then you could maybe call by the Pilgrims' Office who usually have some "used" but reliable models, otherwise Decathlon for more modern versions, although it is a way off the walking route and possibly a taxi journey.

Regardless, I wish you well on your quest for sticks and Buen Camino.
Mig

Hope I'm not too late with this post. Get the trekking poles. There is a Decathlon in Ferrol. You will walk very close to it when you leave Ferrol. You will need them for Johnny Walkers "Gently Rolling Hills".:rolleyes:

Rough translation of Johnnie's guide:-
'Views' - a hill;
'Good views' - a steep hill
'Cardiovascular excercise' - a very steep hill
:):):)
We actually found the hill out of Pontedeume harder than the dreaded hill after Casa Julia, maybe partly because one is granite setts and the other is a track and kinder to the feet. Pontedeume = cardiovascular excercise, while Casa Julia to Bruma is more 'good views' if it wasn't for the trees.
Unless things have changed then don't expect to pass places that are catering for pilgrims wanting sticks etc, it is probably better to get a stick before leaving Santiago.
It would be helpful to know exactly where the Ferrol Decathlon store is please.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Rough translation of Johnnie's guide:-
'Views' - a hill;
'Good views' - a steep hill
'Cardiovascular excercise' - a very steep hill
:):):)
We actually found the hill out of Pontedeume harder than the dreaded hill after Casa Julia, maybe partly because one is granite setts and the other is a track and kinder to the feet. Pontedeume = cardiovascular excercise, while Casa Julia to Bruma is more 'good views' if it wasn't for the trees.
Unless things have changed then don't expect to pass places that are catering for pilgrims wanting sticks etc, it is probably better to get a stick before leaving Santiago.
It would be helpful to know exactly where the Ferrol Decathlon store is please.

I had the same feeling Tia! Out of Pontedeume much harder than to Bruma. But for me the hardest etapa was from Bruma to Siguiero : the concrete !

We broke that day in two, and will do so again next year (DV) by staying in Ordés - 2kms to the right from Calle de Poulo.
The granite chips through the eucalyptus plantation were new in 2011 but hopefully have mellowed by now and trodden in. Did you walk Bruma to Sigueiro the day before you were ill? that would make it hard.

Yes, Tia , I had better stopped in Ordes. I walked indeed from Bruma to Sigueiro and fell ill but only late in the evening when already installed in Hostal Miras. The walk into Sigueiro the last 5k. was enormously hard but by then you are already in the " clean forest " ( don't know how better to describe it ) part . So in the evening I got breathing problems, quick heartpulse and generally feeling unwell. Must say that I just had ended a antibiotics treatment for my bronchitis when leaving home. Well to make a long story short : the very friendly lady of Miras ordered a cab and the most friendly taxidiver from Galicia brought me to hospital. Moral of the story : Drink and drink your fluids kids!!! You should think I would have known better after three caminos....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.