• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking sticks

moonwood

I like the idea of finding a lovely piece of wood at the beginning of the Camino to use as a walking stick. But what are the chances of this? Maybe everyone entertains this idea and all sticks are found at the end of the Camino!!!. Otherwise, would I be better off puchasing a telescoping walking stick from a travel shop in Paris or even SJPP?
Renata

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sticks and Compass

Hello Renata,
You won't ned a compass on the camino. Just follow the flechas amarillo -yellow arrows - forever westward to Santiago. In the early 1980's a priest of the parish of Santa Maria La Real in O’Cebreiro - Don Elias Valina Sampedro - begged some yellow paint from the Roads Department and started painting yellow arrows across the Camino Frances to help pilgrims find their way.
“In the 1970’s there survived only a remote memory of the Jacobean pilgrimage” he wrote in one of his books. (In 1972 only 6 pilgrims were awarded the Compostela.)

As for a stick - if you start in St Jean you will find over a dozen souvenir shops selling sticks of every description. have a look at page 2 of the photos section of this forum where you will find a picture of sticks for sale.

sticks and compasses

Thanks Sil,
Interesting and unique looking sticks. I sort of like the idea of simply 'finding' one at the beginning of the trail. A bit of tree from the trail. But these handmade ones look quite special too.

As for the compass, I have read many equipment lists recommend a compass. Is it easy to know when one is going westward? And is it therefore difficult to get lost with the yellow markings. Most of the popular books I've read by pilgrims write of getting lost at least once, going round in circles.
Renata

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Compass

If you feel safer with one, a compass is such a small thing that it won't add much to your weight.
I think that the only way you could get lost is if you are so deep into your own thoughts - which happens all the time! - that you miss a yellow arrow.
Don't rely on it more than the path though. If the path takes a slight detour south to circumvent a private property or highway and your compass shows that you are not going west you might get yourself lost!
Most days you can see other pilgrims ahead of you as well.
I recall feeling sense of panic when I hadn't seen a yellow flash or spot of paint for a while. And then you see a boulder or tree with a dab of yellow on it and you feel so relieved! Those flechas will be your best friends and guiding lights.

reassured

That sounds good.....I'm reassured. Better without a compass I think. I can see that it may be distracting, and it sounds as though the yellow markings are reliable. Thanks Sil

Hello Renata,

We are a belgian couple around the 60 and walked the Camino last September, and had the same problem when starting: no stick, one stick or two ? Finally we purchased a pair of telescopic sticks, and walked each with his stick. We can only advise you to buy one, it helps in many situations, and you can always fasten it on your rucksack, it's very light. No need for compass, more important is the choice and weight of your luggage, maximum 8 kgs.
Buen Camino, Jupp

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On both of my Caminos I trusted that I'd find my stick en-route. Both times I found fantastic walking sticks within hours of starting.

Last year I carved patterns in my stick and got quite attached to it. Other posters on here have said how they bond with their stick and are upset to leave it behind.

I found that the right stick presented itself when I needed it. Early on I found a lighter stick that served the earlier landscape of the camino portugues, but then changed to a heavier one for the hills in and around Arcade.

Finding a stick is part of the adventure/process, in my opinion.

Thanks for replies. Good to hear that with all the numbers of pilgrims, there are still some old sticks laying about. Yes, I could see how one would bond with their stick, a strange companion on this journey. Good advice to trust that I will find 'my' stick.
Renata

A selection of Camino Jewellery
moonwood said:
I like the idea of finding a lovely piece of wood at the beginning of the Camino to use as a walking stick. But what are the chances of this? Maybe everyone entertains this idea and all sticks are found at the end of the Camino!!!. Otherwise, would I be better off puchasing a telescoping walking stick from a travel shop in Paris or even SJPP?
Renata

I'll echo a few others and say that finding the right walking stick can be part of the journey, too. I found one fairly early on, but then, days later, happened upon my 'real' stick and realized, at the same time, that I'd actually picked up a good walking stick for my wife.

As for a compass - they're small and fairly cheap. If it will make you feel more comfortable, take one. I don't think you'll need it - West will be obvious enough. Besides, you'll be swimming in an ocean of friends who will gladly show you the way.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.