• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For Sale/Wanted walking sticks

Mycroft

Veteran Member
I am not going to take my walking poles with me, but hope to buy some that are not expensive when I arrive in Porto. Anyone know of an inexpensive place to buy walking sticks in Porto or nearby? Or maybe I don't need any on the Coastal route?? Any opinions??

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Check out any "Chinese Bazaars" - you can buy simple poles for around 8 Euros.
The coastal route is VERY flat [and some might say "boring" after a few days all the same]. There are no difficult hills to cross, and walking poles might well be superfluous. Check out my photo's at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xo8f7ZfgMAbU2macA
Whatever you decide, bom caminho!

I am not going to take my walking poles with me, but hope to buy some that are not expensive when I arrive in Porto. Anyone know of an inexpensive place to buy walking sticks in Porto or nearby? Or maybe I don't need any on the Coastal route?? Any opinions??
Stephen Nichols got it right, the Coastal Route is flat and there is no real need for walking sticks- will keep your hands out of mischief but basically just something to lose or forget somewhere. Moving north around Viana do Castelo or Caminha (a lovely place) you might just get bored and decide to pass over to the inland route - Ponte de Lima is also lovely - the bridge between Valença and Tui is impressive and there the sticks will be helpful but again, not really essential. Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you are flying into Porto you can step off of the bus on the way to the city and buy them in the Decathlon store but as others have said not strictly necessary for the walk. They do have other uses though: washing line, epee, golf club, drum major's mace . . . ;)

If you are already using poles and getting benefits from that, then I would recommend that you get a reasonable set on arrival. The nature of the terrain is generally irrelevant - there might be some additional benefits in difficult terrain, but I have rarely seen anything so difficult that poles were 'essential'. Rather it is the ability of poles to reduce the load on lower joints, improve one's balance with a pack, etc. These will be there just as much on the flat as elsewhere.

On the matter of where to buy them, my experience with really cheap poles is not good. I bought one pair that lasted all of two days before they collapsed. I bought a mid-range (~30 euro) pair in Melide that lasted well after my return home before one of the closures failed. All poles will eventually fail in one way or another - the trick is to avoid something that won't last the distance.

There's a Decathlon in the shopping adjacent to the temporary Bolhão market in central Porto. Poles are right at the door, turquoise colour, you can't miss it! The price was €4.99 each, if I remember well. (I'm just back home from the Camino Portugues Variante Espiritual and I definitely recommend the poles. The elevation was much greater than I expected.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you are already using poles and getting benefits from that, then I would recommend that you get a reasonable set on arrival. The nature of the terrain is generally irrelevant - there might be some additional benefits in difficult terrain, but I have rarely seen anything so difficult that poles were 'essential'. Rather it is the ability of poles to reduce the load on lower joints, improve one's balance with a pack, etc. These will be there just as much on the flat as elsewhere.

On the matter of where to buy them, my experience with really cheap poles is not good. I bought one pair that lasted all of two days before they collapsed. I bought a mid-range (~30 euro) pair in Melide that lasted well after my return home before one of the closures failed. All poles will eventually fail in one way or another - the trick is to avoid something that won't last the distance.
Thanks, DougFitz. Totally agree. No, I am not training with poles now.
When I wrote 'cheap,' I meant used ones, some place that sells poles accidentally left behind, etc.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Check out any "Chinese Bazaars" - you can buy simple poles for around 8 Euros.
The coastal route is VERY flat [and some might say "boring" after a few days all the same]. There are no difficult hills to cross, and walking poles might well be superfluous. Check out my photo's at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xo8f7ZfgMAbU2macA
Whatever you decide, bom caminho!
Thanks, SN. It sure does look flat. Did you go on the Variante Espiritual where it is steep? I can go up just about anything, but the descent is getting hard on my knees!

From Combarro to Caroi is steep, the last 500m is a descent on a sandy trail which I found pretty bad on my knees and ankle. From Caroi to Vilanova de Aroisa the first 5km is descent beside a little river, absolutely gorgeous but again, pretty bad on my knees and ankle

Thanks, SN. It sure does look flat. Did you go on the Variante Espiritual where it is steep? I can go up just about anything, but the descent is getting hard on my knees!
No - I gave up when I got to the Spanish border, due to severe blistering of my feet. I had walked the final bit before anyway.
You sometimes find "free" poles available at the SdC Camino pilgrim office, where pilgrims who are going home by air are unable to take them. But that doesn't help most pilgrims who aren't starting out from Santiago!!! :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Did you go on the Variante Espiritual where it is steep? I can go up just about anything, but the descent is getting hard on my knees!
There were some ups and downs on the Variante Espiritual and I was happy to have my poles

EV Day 1.PNG.

¡Buen Camino!

Decathlon has stores all over, good gear and cheap. I bought poles there I believe in Bilbao, for about 10 Euros

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.