Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Surfaces on the Invierno

Time of past OR future Camino
Tom injured his knee a week ago but is doing great. We initially thought we might not be able to do the Invierno, but things are looking up! So…. I am wondering about the surfaces on some of the steep downhill sections. We do fine on the uphills. But going down on loose rocky surfaces is a disaster for knees! So Any input you have on the following downhills would and whether they are loose and stoney would be great!

1. Castle Cornatel to Borennes
2. Las Medulas to Puente Domingo Florez
3. O Alberedos to A Rua
4. Bendillo toSoldon
5. The peak after San Clodio down to A Ponte
6. Castro cells to the Rio Saa
7. Diomondi to Belasar
8. Past Donelas to Ponte Ulla

Thanks for any input you can give us. L

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is hard to remember - I am suffering from Camino-fatigue brain. A short bad section is easily forgotten once one has passed it successfully. But here are a few comments...

A good part, at least, is on pavement. I took a "short cut" into a ravine and up to Orellan, which I would not recommend 😄

I think this was excellent surface all the way.

3. O Alberedos to A Rua
Where is O Alberedos? I think that whole day was on good surfaces.

4. Bendillo toSoldon
Can't remember.

I was in a taxi for this!

6. Castroncelos to the Rio Saa
I took the attached photo somewhere in that section. Not a good indicator for you.

7. Diomondi to Belasar
NO! Do not attempt! This requires strong knees. As does the ascent to Chantada.

Ask me about this tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20220524_123142.jpg
    20220524_123142.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
Hi, @ebrandt, such great news.

@C clearly beat me to it, but I agree with everything. Let me just add where she forgot, and my memory may be a bit hazier than hers.

4. Bendilló to Soldón has some in-the-brush descent, but you can avoid one ascent and subsequent descent by sticking to the road.

5. I think it’s manageable, nothing rocky or steep that I remember.

6. @C clearly’s picture is surely irrefutable, but I don’t have a memory of any steep descent into Pobra de Brollón (I think that by the time you get to Castroncelos, you have already done the descending).

7. Totally agree about this, unfortunately. The church at the top of the descent, and the river/village/views at the bottom are both wonderful, but getting there on foot is not a good idea. The path is called the “Codos de Belesar” (Belesar’s elbows, because of its configuration). There may be a way to go down to the water near Torre Vilariño and walk along the river into Belesar. It would all be on untraveled roads, and maybe some of the riverside walking is a path. If that’s of interest, I can hunt for some old threads.

8. I had a bad knee one year walking into Ponte Ulla, and that stretch was tough. It is all on pavement, nothing uneven or drastically steep, but I was hurting. It’s hard to compare knee pain, but the main point is that it’s a road, which makes it much more manageable I think.

Hope springs eternal! Maybe this can work.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Such good news!
Echoing what @C clearly and @peregrina2000 have said.

6. @C clearly’s picture is surely irrefutable, but I don’t have a memory of any steep descent into Pobra de Brollón (I think that by the time you get to Castroncelos, you have already done the descending).
Same. I don't recall anything like the photo, or much downhill there at all.

And yes: don't even consider that hill between Diamondi and Belesar!

If the uphills are ok, you'll be fine on the other side but there are a couple of places where the road is more even than the steeper shorter shortcut.

To go down from Torre Vilariño, take the loop I posted on my thread from 2019 in a clockwise direction. Right after the church at O Priorio, take the left fork down to the river. Go North (right) on the road at the bottom and it will take you to Belesar.

There was a steep bit coming down from Monte Faro - but you can avoid that up and down altogether, so it's a moot point.

And the way down to Ponte Ulla was definitely steep. But all on pavement.

Last edited:
So, you can find some google maps, VN’s tracks, and a lot of chatter back and forth starting around here on the “25 km or less Invierno” thread. The road route down to the river from Torre Vilariño spreads the descent out over 4.5 kilometers, while the Codos de Belesar is probably about 2 kms covering the same total descent.

Happy to hear that things are looking up! Agree with all of the above, especially Diomondi to Belesar!

3. O Albaredos is between A Rua and Quiroga. There is a descent after Albaredeos along a cart track that I don't remember as too steep or slippery but it is on a dirt, sometimes stony shale path. Photo below.
after Albaredos.jpeg

Leaving Montefurado there is a steep uneven rocky ascent out of the village. I've read reports that if becomes very slippery and muddy on rainy days. The first photo is looking back at Montefurado. The second, looking ahead

IMG_3362.jpeg IMG_3363.jpeg

3. There was a long steep descent from Bendillo, ending at the highway (the N-120) before crossing over to Soldon. I don't remember loose stones or slippery sections.

5. After San Clodio and Nocedo there is an ascent along a paved road and then through an easy forest path leading to the Capela dos Remedios. I remember the descent from there to A Ponte (Barxa do Lor) as being gentle with no slippery rock areas.

8. Both times I've walked into Ponte Ulla I've found the descent quite steep (the last bit on the tarmac road) - I had to brace myself with poles both times.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In service to the forum, I walked this today 😀😉. I can confirm what @peregrina2000 said. It is a long and steady descent completely on even asphalt, with virtually no traffic. Not many places to rest, but you'll just have to stop in a standing rest if required.

An additional comment... if you are looking for the Hostal/albergue O Cruceiro, you need to keep walking past the initial "pueblo" up to the left to the area with gas stations, past the supermarket. Check out the church on the way - it's one of the few open ones en route and is very nice.

Tom injured his knee a week ago but is doing great. We initially thought we might not be able to do the Invierno, but things are looking up! So…. I am wondering about the surfaces on some of the steep downhill sections. We do fine on the uphills. But going down on loose rocky surfaces is a disaster for knees! So Any input you have on the following downhills would and whether they are loose and stoney would be great!

3. O Alberedos to A Rua
4. Bendillo toSoldon
6. Castro cells to the Rio Saa
7. Diomondi to Belasar

Thanks for any input you can give us. L
1, there’s now a path that takes you off the tarmac halfway between the crossroads after cornatel and borrones.

1, there’s now a path that takes you off the tarmac halfway between the crossroads after cornatel and borrones.
Also 5, the area is subject to an extensive timber harvest, which leaves the landscape despoiled and much of the shade gone!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ditto what others have said about los codos de Belesar, a truly demanding descent amongst scraggly stones. Perhaps with the new Albergue in Diomondi you may avoid this stretch by taking a cab. I personally love the Ponte Ulla descent (and I prefer ascents any day) through woods with the river on your right. If you gently zig zag the descent with poles it’s very doable.
Pics from the other side of Belesar, on the way to Chantada once you cross the river in the breathtaking La Ribeira Sacra, stony wonder once more. A huge plus is the winery Via Romana that more than makes up for it. Last pic from descent into Ponte Ulla.

1654010697410.jpeg1654010798158.jpeg1654011036409.jpeg

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is so helpful. We walked 20 km yesterday with no problems and will walk 23 today from Boadilla to Carrion. We are treating ourselves to a stay at San Zoila because 2 June is our 38th wedding anniversary. 😎❤️ Right now we are feeling extremely optimistic about doing the Invierno! Thanks again! L

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is hard to remember - I am suffering from Camino-fatigue brain. A short bad section is easily forgotten once one has passed it successfully. But here are a few comments...

A good part, at least, is on pavement. I took a "short cut" into a ravine and up to Orellan, which I would not recommend 😄

I think this was excellent surface all the way.

3. O Alberedos to A Rua
Where is O Alberedos? I think that whole day was on good surfaces.

4. Bendillo toSoldon
Can't remember.

I was in a taxi for this!

6. Castroncelos to the Rio Saa
I took the attached photo somewhere in that section. Not a good indicator for you.

7. Diomondi to Belasar
NO! Do not attempt! This requires strong knees. As does the ascent to Chantada.

To point seven Diomondi to Belesar: May be I was lucky about the weather but I did not find this section difficulty at all. A nice climb down to the river, worse up the hill on the other side of the river, chose the road up the hill.

Thanks for all the advice. We are still obsessing about whether to try the Invierno. Does anyone have input on how hilly and what the surface is like on the cut off path from A Ponte/Barxa do Lor to Salcedo? Thanks, L

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for all the advice. We are still obsessing about whether to try the Invierno. Does anyone have input on how hilly and what the surface is like on the cut off path from A Ponte/Barxa do Lor to Salcedo? Thanks, L
I don’t know of any active forum member who has walked this, but fingers crossed!

Maybe this is second best, but take a look at the wikiloc track.

If you go to the track itself and put your cursor down on the elevation profile you can see the elevation difference between two points — as you move the cursor on the profile, the blue dot on the track itself moves. You would do the right side of that circle. The starting point at Barxa de Lor is the far right side of the elevation profile. Salcedo is at about a kilometer beyond the high point, and there’s about a 300 m elevation gain over about 3 kilometers. So there is really not much of a descent at all, just an ascent, into Salcedo.

6D8AD856-F767-4289-A1D7-F3FB7C116A5D.png

Comparing the “regular” Invierno route between Quiroga and Monforte, it looks like this alternative route to Salcedo has more ascent. But I think you said ascents aren’t an issue.

Maybe you could ask the owners of the Hotel in Salcedo what their impression is.

It’s not really hilly and along country roads

I don’t know of any active forum member who has walked this, but fingers crossed!

Maybe this is second best, but take a look at the wikiloc track.

If you go to the track itself and put your cursor down on the elevation profile you can see the elevation difference between two points — as you move the cursor on the profile, the blue dot on the track itself moves. You would do the right side of that circle. The starting point at Barxa de Lor is the far right side of the elevation profile. Salcedo is at about a kilometer beyond the high point, and there’s about a 300 m elevation gain over about 3 kilometers. So there is really not much of a descent at all, just an ascent, into Salcedo.

View attachment 126898

Comparing the “regular” Invierno route between Quiroga and Monforte, it looks like this alternative route to Salcedo has more ascent. But I think you said ascents aren’t an issue.

Maybe you could ask the owners of the Hotel in Salcedo what their impression is.
The owner of O Forno is happy to collect you and return from Castoncelos

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks — Which route to Salcedo are you referring to, @hagans — the off-road trail from Barxa de Lor, or the regular camino route that takes you to Castroncelos and the possible pick-up point?

I think @ebrandt is wondering about the off-camino cut off at Barxa de Lor.
Sorry I was unaware there was a turn off at barxa de lor, which is a lovely spot. I certainly didn’t see it so I can’t help.

Most read last week in this forum

We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back