• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Aragones in February

MJP

Time of past OR future Camino
First will be this coming feb 2016 walking from lourdes ... argones then onto the cf
Hi, I wanted to visit a religious site before setting of on my camino , Lourdes seemed ideal so I decided thats were I was going to start from .... Im going to catch trains to Pau then Oloron st marie were i will start walking. Ive read alot on the forum about the Aragones way ... im expecting a solitary scenic walk. Im also starting on the 9th feb ... out of season as its still a winter month but due to commitments that was the only time i could. Is there any advice anyone would like to offer specific to the Aragones ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, I wanted to visit a religious site before setting of on my camino , Lourdes seemed ideal so I decided thats were I was going to start from .... Im going to catch trains to Pau then Oloron st marie were i will start walking. Ive read alot on the forum about the Aragones way ... im expecting a solitary scenic walk. Im also starting on the 9th feb ... out of season as its still a winter month but due to commitments that was the only time i could. Is there any advice anyone would like to offer specific to the Aragones ?

Hi, MJP, welcome to the forum. I think you are likely to encounter a lot of snow in February. Canfranc, which is in between Somport and Jaca, is a winter ski resort place, so my bet is that many of the trails will be under snow. You'll be able to walk alongside the main road down into Jaca (where you will hopefully find less snow) but that wouldn't be my choice of walking trail. It's a national road, I think, and a pretty busy place to be walking. I've walked this route, but it was in summer and glorious. The trails are off-road and generally beautiful. Not sure I would do it in winter. From Jaca forward, I think there is much less of an issue with snow. Hope you get some first hand experience from winter walkers on the Aragones! Buen camino, Laurie

Also a lot of the albergues might be closed. I would recommend calling ahead to make sure there is a bed for you at the end of the day. There are not as many albergues/kilometer as on the Francés and as this route is far less walked some of them might close for winter. Buen Camino! SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great advice from Laurie and SY. The albergue in Somport [ the "Aysa"] is really a snow lodge and may be booked out at that time of year. I walked through Somport in early April 2008 and there was a lot of snow still around. Somport is actually higher than the peak between St Jean and Roncesvalles, so walking on the road rather than on the signed trail will most likely be the only option on the climb from Borse to Somport, and from there on to Jaca.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

The Aragonés would definitely NOT be on my list for a winter Camino for all the reasons already mentioned unless you are an experienced winter hiker or like walking on roads. There will for sure be lots of snow and who knows how the visibility will be.

I've walked a Camino beginning in February but I was way to the south, starting in Sevilla. Maybe an idea to look at a few other options and save that Camino for another season.

Cheers
LT

I would like to echo the advice you have received above. I walked from Oloron to Logrono in May and June 2015. I stayed in the monastery in Sarrance because the hotel was closed, I walked on to Borce and stayed at the muni, the only other hotel in town is small and looks like it caters to snow lovers. I took a bus from Borce to Canfranc through the tunnel because I was warned there was still snow pack across the pass and it was still very cold, I was outfitted for summer hiking.
Last winter there was so much snow in Somport during February all the roads were closed and traveler and skiers were stranded for a week.
I would ask in Oloron about the conditions in Somport. Taking the bus to Spain is a short trip.
Once you are in Canfranc finding accommodations could be a big issue, you will be competing with skiers, Peptito Grillo was full the night I was there and it only included 2 pilgrims.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We walked that route in April and encountered snow and freezing weather over the pass.
I got sick, because although the albergue was open, they refused to turn on heat, and I was already chilled from walking in the snow and had no way to warm up.
I would not walk it in February, personally.
I'd be more likely to walk from the south in February.
Perhaps from Barcelona and Montserrat...or from Sevilla.

I walked from Lourdes to Santiago in the fall, I don't think I would adventure walking the same route in mid-winter unless off course you are an experience winter hiker imho

Zzotte

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back