• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

COVID Walking the Camino as a non-vaccinated pilgrim 2022-2023?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayne

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello-

I walked the Camino Frances in 2014. I would like to walk again, perhaps the Norte. but I am wondering if that is at all possible if one is not vaccinated at all. Can anyone point me to resources to determine if it is possible to walk the camino without vaccination credentials or what obstacles I may encounter.

Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not sure right now, you should check. This summer we had to fill out a health certificate to enter the country when we flew into Madrid. I will say there is quite a lot of COVID on the Camino and you can read from people's threads that they have had to stop and either seek care or get a longer term private accommodation. We also caught COVID last summer while we were there. It made or a less enjoyable experience. We did not have to present vaccine cards last summer except when we got our Spanish Health Certificate to enter the country. Masking was still required on public transportation of any kind and in pharmacies and of course we had to wear masks because we were sick for a couple of weeks.

Here is the link to the Spain site.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not sure right now, you should check. This summer we had to fill out a health certificate to enter the country when we flew into Madrid. I will say there is quite a lot of COVID on the Camino and you can read from people's threads that they have had to stop and either seek care or get a longer term private accommodation. We also caught COVID last summer while we were there. It made or a less enjoyable experience. We did not have to present vaccine cards last summer except when we got our Spanish Health Certificate to enter the country. Masking was still required on public transportation of any kind and in pharmacies and of course we had to wear masks because we were sick for a couple of weeks.

Here is the link to the Spain site.
Thank you!

Hi Rayne, I walked in September this year but was on the Camino Sanabria which was very quiet, and being unvaccinated myself i had to take a test before entry into Spain from UK, no problems at Madrid airport and then the wearing of masks on public transport which was fine, i had no issues at all with anything else or accommodation although I was staying in municipal albergues and some hostels, it might be different on the more popular routes and in hotels etc.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello-

I walked the Camino Frances in 2014. I would like to walk again, perhaps the Norte. but I am wondering if that is at all possible if one is not vaccinated at all. Can anyone point me to resources to determine if it is possible to walk the camino without vaccination credentials or what obstacles I may encounter.

Thank you!
Been in Spain a lot lately and assuming rules don’t change I think you should be ok. You need a mask for public transport (though compliance varies a lot by city) and pharmacies, but otherwise I can’t remember showing my vaccine passports at bars, restaurants, football matches, gigs, hotels etc. in fact not shown it for months anywhere! Lost track on entry requirements and they are obv subject to change.

Are you from the US? Here is the info from US embassy and consulate office in Spain and Andorra, but you have to show that you are either vaccinated or show negative diagnosit test result performed within 72 hours of departure to Spain (PCR) or within 24 hours (rapid antigen test). Or a certificate of recovery - more rules apply. See webpage

And I concur - if you are not vaccinated, I recommend private rooms which can still be very affordable on the Frances route. Or even a less travelled route.

There are times when you may need a mask - but certainly not all the time. No "QR code" for the health app currently needed

Hi Rayne, I walked in September this year but was on the Camino Sanabria which was very quiet, and being unvaccinated myself i had to take a test before entry into Spain from UK, no problems at Madrid airport and then the wearing of masks on public transport which was fine, i had no issues at all with anything else or accommodation although I was staying in municipal albergues and some hostels, it might be different on the more popular routes and in hotels etc.
It’s been fine in my experience tho I am vaxxed. Spain really does seem to have pressed the ‘fast forward’ button post Covid to the point I totally forgot about it whilst being there for a few months recently.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If I were unvaccinated on the Camino I would only sleep in private rooms and avoid indoor communal meals.
A friend of mine, or should I say an acquaintance , was vaccinated but still caught Covid on the CF. She was only staying in private rooms and avoiding people - we talked to her a bench length away -, with masks! - because of her health issues.
I woud not go on the Camino unvaccinated.

Insp
A friend of mine, or should I say an acquaintance , was vaccinated but still caught Covid on the CF. She was only staying in private rooms and avoiding people - we talked to her a bench length away -, with masks! - because of her health issues.
I would but I guess it depends on how fit and healthy you are in first place! But we digress!

You know - I am a HUGE advocate for vaccination and have been very vocal about the need for vaccination over the years (COVID has been the focus of my work since it began), including in discussions on this board. That said - we are in the endemic stage of COVID. It is now everywhere and here to stay. You have just as much risk going to the grocery store as going on the Camino. (of course - staying in an albergue dorm room is a higher risk). It is still good to mitigate risks - by staying in private rooms instead of dorm rooms if unvaccinated. But we are at the point where life must go back to normal. It isn't going away.

Know the risks, and mitigate the risks the best you can. I do still recommend vaccination to anyone who asks, but life must go on at this point regardless.

Now - if you are immunocompromised - that is a different story.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You know - I am a HUGE advocate for vaccination and have been very vocal about the need for vaccination over the years (COVID has been the focus of my work since it began), including in discussions on this board. That said - we are in the endemic stage of COVID. It is now everywhere and here to stay. You have just as much risk going to the grocery store as going on the Camino. (of course - staying in an albergue dorm room is a higher risk). It is still good to mitigate risks - by staying in private rooms instead of dorm rooms if unvaccinated. But we are at the point where life must go back to normal. It isn't going away.

Know the risks, and mitigate the risks the best you can. I do still recommend vaccination to anyone who asks, but life must go on at this point regardless.

Now - if you are immunocompromised - that is a different story.
Good post! I am very pro vax and will always, but have been in conversation with people who see it differently and that’s makes for interesting viewpoints. Like crossing the road, mitigate the risks where you can although if often feels that those who stay in private rooms and distance get covid more than others which seems improbable! I guess they just get tested more!

I guess they just get tested more!
Yes - people more concerned are more likely to test - therefore are more likely to KNOW when they have COVID. I can't tell you how many people tried to refuse testing and insisted they didn't have COVID - but HAD to test for me if they wanted to return to work or school - and were proven to have an active COVID infection. The only reason they knew they had COVID was because they HAD to test in order to return to work/school... they wouldn't have otherwise.

As for those who stay in private rooms and distance - it is a myriad of factors as to WHY they get COVID - but as you stated, they are also more likely to test.

I
Yes - people more concerned are more likely to test - therefore are more likely to KNOW when they have COVID. I can't tell you how many people tried to refuse testing and insisted they didn't have COVID - but HAD to test for me if they wanted to return to work or school - and were proven to have an active COVID infection. The only reason they knew they had COVID was because they HAD to test in order to return to work/school... they wouldn't have otherwise.

As for those who stay in private rooms and distance - it is a myriad of factors as to WHY they get COVID - but as you stated, they are also more likely to test.
Thank you! Very informed and balanced, and thank you for all your hard work during Covid! Don’t think it can ever be said enough! It’s so great to have normality back and be able to live again!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I help to run three albergues on three caminos. COVID-19 is still very much among us. It cut a swath through our staff and the pilgrims all through this season. It's been a very rough ride.
If I was not vaccinated, I would NOT walk the Camino.
I guess folks need to understand and trade off the hassle of catching Covid and having to Isolate at cost in private rooms. It certainly better to catch Covid at your local grocery store than a few thousand kms away! On balance I would but yes a decision nonetheless!

If I were unvaccinated on the Camino I would only sleep in private rooms and avoid indoor communal meals.
And I would walk alone. There's too much COV circulating out there. Many are asymptomatic, plenty are not sick enough to "do the right thing" (isolate, get off the trail etc) and could make an unvaccinated person *very* sick.

That would be an inaccurate guess.
Wr will just have to do disagree on all things Covid. Asking people to walk alone is a step too far for me.

Anyway the OP asked a very specific question and has got some reassuring answers about whether he/she can do a Camino without being vaxxed. He / she not come here for medical advice and peoples personal advice and views. I am sure they would like some more answers based on the question, though I think we have established he/she will be fine, rather than the thread being closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wr will just have to do disagree on all things Covid. Asking people to walk alone is a step too far for me.

Anyway the OP asked a very specific question and has got some reassuring answers about whether he/she can do a Camino without being vaxxed. He / she not come here for medical advice and peoples personal advice and views. I am sure they would like some more answers based on the question, though I think we have established he/she will be fine, rather than the thread being closed.
I work in public health. I don't "trust the science"; I *understand* it and I design it. This isn't a debate. There are facts about transmission, about silent infection, and about mutation and they correspond to vaccination status.
There are ethical considerations that can be debated, but the simplest answer is not to implicate those who have not been consulted and to walk alone, find solo accommodation, and dine alone. To go on camino cannot be taken as a tacit agreement to get sick.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I work in public health. I don't "trust the science"; I *understand* it and I design it. This isn't a debate. There are facts about transmission, about silent infection, and about mutation and they correspond to vaccination status.
There are ethical considerations that can be debated, but the simplest answer is not to implicate those who have not been consulted and to walk alone, find solo accommodation, and dine alone. To go on camino cannot be taken as a tacit agreement to get sick.
That’s fine. As I have said I am heavily pro vax but I don’t see why we can’t just answer the question about whether the OP is able to do a Camino in line with local regulation not having been vaxxed. That’s how the initial responses started and it was nice to see. It’s as simple as that. It happens all the time on here when a person asks that or a similar question, people have to elaborate with their views irrespective of how valid or invalid they are! Then thread get closed!

As I have said I am heavily pro vax but I don’t see why we can’t just answer the question about whether the OP is able to do a Camino in line with local regulation not having been vaxxed.
We can’t just answer the question simply because it's complicated.

Sure, the OP can walk unvaccinated. That's clear.
But it is a risk - to them (and just as importantly if not more so) to everyone around them.

It's one thing if people want to risk their own health - that's their business. But potentially harming others? That's another thing altogether.

I guess folks need to understand and trade off the hassle of catching Covid and having to Isolate at cost in private rooms
To go on camino cannot be taken as a tacit agreement to get sick.
Or more to the point, to get others sick.
So they could just go - there is nothing to stop them policy-wise. Or think of others and maybe reconsider. Or at the very least be willing to take a lot of precautions.

Sure
We can’t just answer the question simply because it's complicated.

Sure, the OP can walk unvaccinated. That's clear.
But it is a risk - to them (and just as importantly if not more so) to everyone around them.

It's one thing if people want to risk their own health - that's their business. But potentially harming others? That's another thing altogether.

Or more to the point, to get others sick.
So they could just go - there is nothing to stop them policy-wise. Or think of others and maybe reconsider. Or at the very least be willing to take a lot of precautions.
The basic question was clear ang simple to me. Sure I’m not advocating it but I guess they will do the trades off themselves and get info from their medical provider! Not sure we need to keep derailing threads that’s all!

Anyway I have been in far too many of these type of debates on here and always say I won’t get in another one! So I’m out and off to look at Expedias flight report on another thread!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Insp

I would but I guess it depends on how fit and healthy you are in first place! But we digress!
A friend off mine , super fit was in hospital for over two months. So it has not always depend on how fit you are.
I would not walk a Camino when not vaccinated.
That is just my opinion.

I don't understand why we keep putting the "Caminos" on a pedestal as if they are more special than other forms of travel, or going to our local grocery store and other errands we all do in normal life. If people should stay home to protect themselves and everyone around them, we'd still be living in the bubble world of 2020.
I was just in Rome and there were thousands of people all around the famous ancient monuments, always standing shoulder to shoulder in large private tour groups and now at the airport it's the same thing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A friend off mine , super fit was in hospital for over two months. So it has not always depend on how fit you are.
I would not walk a Camino when not vaccinated.
That is just my opinion.
I don't understand why we keep putting the "Caminos" on a pedestal as if they are more special than other forms of travel, or going to our local grocery store and other errands we all do in normal life. If people should stay home to protect themselves and everyone around them, we'd still be living in the bubble world of 2020.
I was just in Rome and there were thousands of people all around the famous ancient monuments, always standing shoulder to shoulder in large private tour groups and now at the airport it's the same thing.
Yes interesting point! I was in Rome two weeks ago, then Naples for a week, quickly back to the UK and now in Sydney via a night in Singapore! No one’s even mentioned Covid. Never been quite sure why it is such an obsession on here. Staying in dorms here and, well, it’s just normal! Older demographic I guess, but I do scratch my head. Only time Covid enters my life is on this forum!

That’s said I do understand the dorm vs private room debate and am very pro vax!!! Also positive test means you have to isolate for a few days which is hassle and costly!

Hope you enjoyed Rome. What a city !

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back