• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino at Easter: pros and cons

AnneWW

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning my first for next spring: Portugues
We're planning to walk the Camino Portugues during the first two weeks of April 2023 and noticed that Easter falls on April 9. Am wondering if there is any downside to walking during Holy Week / Easter (too crowded; restaurants and businesses closed etc). Or maybe it's a good time to go due to all the processions and other events surrounding the holiday. Does anyone have any experience with this?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We're planning to walk the Camino Portugues during the first two weeks of April 2023 and noticed that Easter falls on April 9. Am wondering if there is any downside to walking during Holy Week / Easter (too crowded; restaurants and businesses closed etc). Or maybe it's a good time to go due to all the processions and other events surrounding the holiday. Does anyone have any experience with this?
It's an amazing time to be on the Camino. Town after town are preparing for the celebration. I spent Easter weekend in Leon and it was an amazing experience.

I've read that Easter week in Portugal is not as intense as in Spain. Those who live in Portugal like @jungleboy can give you a better idea of what to expect.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's an amazing time to be on the Camino. Town after town are preparing for the celebration. I spent Easter weekend in Leon and it was an amazing experience.
That's awesome! Thanks. Am excited to do my first Camino!

I've read that Easter week in Portugal is not as intense as in Spain. Those who live in Portugal like @jungleboy can give you a better idea of what to expect.
Yes, that's true, although depending on the exact day Anne begins, she might be in Spain by the second half of holy week.

Yes, that's true, although depending on the exact day Anne begins, she might be in Spain by the second half of holy week.
Good point...we probably will have crossed into Spain by Easter

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We have walked the Inglés and the Portugués during Easter week. Just a couple observations. It’s not a crazy time on the Caminos, but we found most of the walkers were from Spain and/or Portugal (particularly on the Inglés). But, in early spring, it’s wasn’t crowded based on what you can experience in certain later months. However, we did find the municipal albergues pretty full during Semana Santa. The only processions we saw were in Santiago as we arrived there the Saturday before Easter. If you’re going to be around Santiago on or near Easter, I’d certainly recommend making reservations now. The city fills up and is a great place to experience this religious day. So, we’ve never experienced any “downside” to walking during Semana Santa. It may be a bit busier, but still most manageable.

I walked the CF this year staring 31st March. What a fantastic experience. I don't know if CF experience applies to CP, however booking private rooms in the week prior to Easter became quite a challenge since there was a higher number of Spanish people walking the Camino. We walked into Leon on Easter Sunday.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started my VDLP walk during Easter Week in Sevilla (left Sevilla on Easter). It was one of the best experiences of my life. I was in Sevilla starting on Easter Tuesday. So, I got to experience all the festivities (including the marching and bands until 3:00 AM outside my hotel). It's one of those sights that you must see in person. The videos and documentaries just don't do it justice.

If I could make any single recommendation to you, it would be to modify your Camino dates by a few days so that you could spend Easter weekend in Santiago. I think you would find it well worthwhile.

I've walked my last 2 camino during the Easter holidays and loved it. The first was the Frances in 2019 and we left SJPDP just before Samana Santa week and yes there was a bit of a bottle neck at the beginning so make sure to book your accommodations during for this time. We were in Logrono for the big processions and it's definitely something to see at least once in your life. This year I left Seville on the VDLP a week and a half prior to Easter and enjoyed many processions during Semana Santa. Amazingly beautiful and spiritual!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've walked my last 2 camino during the Easter holidays and loved it. The first was the Frances in 2019 and we left SJPDP just before Samana Santa week and yes there was a bit of a bottle neck at the beginning so make sure to book your accommodations during for this time. We were in Logrono for the big processions and it's definitely something to see at least once in your life. This year I left Seville on the VDLP a week and a half prior to Easter and enjoyed many processions during Semana Santa. Amazingly beautiful and spiritual!
Thank you! Looking forward to experiencing it!

We have walked the Inglés and the Portugués during Easter week. Just a couple observations. It’s not a crazy time on the Caminos, but we found most of the walkers were from Spain and/or Portugal (particularly on the Inglés). But, in early spring, it’s wasn’t crowded based on what you can experience in certain later months. However, we did find the municipal albergues pretty full during Semana Santa. The only processions we saw were in Santiago as we arrived there the Saturday before Easter. If you’re going to be around Santiago on or near Easter, I’d certainly recommend making reservations now. The city fills up and is a great place to experience this religious day. So, we’ve never experienced any “downside” to walking during Semana Santa. It may be a bit busier, but still most manageable.
Thanks for the tip about booking rooms. Sounds like the timing will work for us

If I could make any single recommendation to you, it would be to modify your Camino dates by a few days so that you could spend Easter weekend in Santiago. I think you would find it well worthwhile.
Sounds worthwhile if we can juggle it! Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Frances during Easter this year and it didn't feel too busy or crowded, though was between big cities (got to Burgos on Easter Monday). Lots of parades and other events going on in most of the towns, and bars and restaurants were mostly open, but watch out for shops and supermarkets being closed (especially on Good Friday) and plan accordingly.

If you can spend the Triduum in SdC it would be an outstanding experience. However, if you do, make reservations, as the townwill be very full. The processions are rich liturgically speaking, moving and spectacular. We rented an apartment from where we were able to see the processions coming by each day or night! So we watched from one floor above ground level.

Last edited:
I spent Easter in Santiago this year and it was marvellous…but make reservations early … the town is packed !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you can spend the Triduum in SdC it would be an outstanding experience. However, if you do, make reservations, as the townwill be very full. The processions are rich liturgically speaking, moving and spectacular. We rented an apartment from where we were able to see the processions coming by each day or night! So we watched from one floor above ground level.
Thanks for this. We had to change our CF departure (formerly Sep 22) and one of the schedules we are considering is March and/or April and within that is the decision on Holy Week.

I thought I had read somewhere that there were a lot of Spanish walking into SdC that week but couldn't find it again. We were also considering doing the Triduum along the CF somewhere on the way, perhaps in one of the bigger cities, then continuing on to SdC.

Reading your words, though, has me thinking trying to finish on or before Holy Thursday and then enjoying the rest of the week there.

Of course, as we move the dates around we have to consider other things as we move earlier into March for the start.

It sounds amazing- thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back