• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino de Santiago in May 2012

Heliman1965

Time of past OR future Camino
May 19th 2012
May 2015
June 6th 2017 Burgos to Leon
July 25th 2017 Sarria to Santiago
June 2018 SJPDP to Santiago
Hi,

My name is Bryan, I'm the Training Officer for Hampshire Search & Rescue (http://WWW.Hantsar.org) we are a non-funded Volunteer unit work with the Police searching for Vulnerable Missing People in the Hampshire and surrounding areas...
I will be walking the Camino de Santiago in May of 2012 for personal reason while raising much needed funds to help keep HANTSAR running...
My biggest inspiration for attempting the Camino was the film "The WAY" and what a fabulous film it is...

I’m making the trip solo in the hope that I’ll meet other Pilgrims along the way, I will be starting at St Jean Pied de Port and hoping to arrive there on the 20th May. I’m very excited about making this trip of a lifetime and I can only thank the wife for this as she has granted me a travel pass for 6 weeks so I can take in the whole experience at my own pace with a view to take the odd day off to see some of the historical sites…

My fitness level needs to be addressed; yes I can walk 20km but every day? I think I’ll need to start training hard for this, I gave up smoking this past May in preparation for the trip.
This trip has taken over my every thought and is at the top of my must do before I’m 50 list, I just hope and pray that my body allows me to fulfil this awe inspiring pilgrimage…

I look forward to hearing some of your tips and experiences.. :D 8)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Bryan,
Welcome to the forum. Yes, a bit of training is always good. However, a lot of your fitness will come during the walk, just pace yourself on the early stages. Nice that you have plenty of time, there are some some great places along the way for a rest day and some sightseeing.
Hope you have a great time planning and a wonderful Camino.
Buen Camino.
Col

Welcome Bryan. There is so much helpful advice and interesting tips on the forum.

I like to 'train' before I undertake a Camino. I try to walk a few miles each day and then do one or two long walks (10 miles or so) on the weekend. I use my walking boots to make sure they are well broken in. I usually start in earnest about 3 months before I leave.

I also use my training to get used to walking long stretches alone with prayer and meditation.

You'll have a great experience....

Let me know if you need any specific information.

Jeff

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Brian-- I walked The Camino last year; started in late May, great time of the year to start from SJPDP. I am going back in May 2012; will walk Pamplona-Burgos; planning to start from Pamplona on 25 May 2012. Hope to meet you along the road!

Brian-- as far as tips:

1. The Ellytical type exercise equipment is FANTASTIC as training tool. Great way to train during the wintertime.

2. Train in your walking shoes. For May walking, you should have your walking shoes already....

3. Bring band-aids and wear them BEFORE any sign of blisters. Pay attention on the friction points on the waking shoes and that will be your marker for where to place band-aids.

4. I applied vaseline on top of band-aid (on top of friction points). I NEVER got a blister. Not one.

5. Rest every two (2) hours). It is the key to complete the walk strong.

6. Read, and read, and read and APPLY on traveling LIGHT.

7. The Camino is very well marked. No need to burden yourself with maps. Bring historical notes instead.

8. Estimate 20-25 Euros/day for budgeting purposes (10 Euros lodging; 12 Euros Food; 3 Euros incidentals).

Olivares said:
Brian-- I walked The Camino last year; started in late May, great time of the year to start from SJPDP. I am going back in May 2012; will walk Pamplona-Burgos; planning to start from Pamplona on 25 May 2012. Hope to meet you along the road!

Olivares,
Thanks you for your tips, It would be nice to meet somewhere along the way...

Bryan :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply, at the moment I'm walking around 5 miles a day and will be upping the distance in the New Year...

Bryan

And when you get back home, after having walked the Camino, you will nag the wife until she agrees to do it with you again before you turn 60!!

sillydoll said:
And when you get back home, after having walked the Camino, you will nag the wife until she agrees to do it with you again before you turn 60!!

Already started on that one lol and I've not even started the first trip :D oh her answer is yes to join me on my second Camino the difference being is the wife can only join me for the last 100km as the outlaws will only sit all of our 6 children, 2 dogs and 5 cats for a week.. :lol: :lol:

Bryan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"Already started on that one lol and I've not even started the first trip :D oh her answer is yes to join me on my second Camino the difference being is the wife can only join me for the last 100km as the outlaws will only sit all of our 6 children, 2 dogs and 5 cats for a week.. :lol: :lol:

Bryan[/quote]

Hi Bryan,
Don't worry with 6 kids, 2dogs, 5 cats and now with what looks like a 'serial pilgrim' husband to mind :shock: that gal of yours has got enough 'credit transfers' to cover the journey from St Jean Pied de port!
Happy planning
Nell

Hi Bryan:

My son and have already purchased our transportation and will arrive in SJPP from upstate New York on May 23 and begin our Camino on May 24. I am 63 and my son 28. We''ll look for you! For us it's been nearly two years of planning, but seeing "The Way" surely was an inspiration.

Scotiapilgrim

Hi Heliman

As already said you've chosen a great time of year to walk if May 2012 is anything like it was in 2011. And I'm sure the 6 children, 2 dogs and 5 cats keep you fit enough for a Camino if you follow the advice above on starting slowly, good boots etc!

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Bryan: I am also on the "before 50" path to walking "The Way." I am arriving St. Jean Pied de Port on 5/22/12 and hiking the Camino the next day. Will look out for all of you. Buen camino.

Hi Byan, I too am a sub 50 walker (Just, that changes on 5th May). Myself and a friend 'Button' (as in....qute as a....) will be walking the last 130 miles from Ponferrada, over 10 days, starting 21st February 2012. We both live in Hampshire, and would be happy to offer you tips & hints from our experience, for practical & safety purposes only. After all, we all walk our own path, so you have to find what you are looking for yourself.

Farquary (as in .... where the...) :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi I watched the film and it has inspired me to do the walk, my flight arrives at biaritz on the 20th May, I only get in at around 21-30 so I am hoping to meet someone who wants to share a taxi to SJPDP because the trains have stopped running at that time and I did not want to spend the night in Biaritz, the taxi is 80 euros so hopefully I could get 4 together to share the cost. Carl. from Chorley Lancashire.

Farquary said:
Hi Bryan, I too am a sub 50 walker (Just, that changes on 5th May). Myself and a friend 'Button' (as in....qute as a....) will be walking the last 130 miles from Ponferrada, over 10 days, starting 21st February 2012. We both live in Hampshire, and would be happy to offer you tips & hints from our experience, for practical & safety purposes only. After all, we all walk our own path, so you have to find what you are looking for yourself.

Hi Farquary,

I can't wait to get my feet onto the Camino in May... So any of your experiences of The Way would be welcomed... :)

Buen Camino!

12carl said:
Hi I watched the film and it has inspired me to do the walk, my flight arrives at biaritz on the 20th May, I only get in at around 21-30 so I am hoping to meet someone who wants to share a taxi to SJPDP because the trains have stopped running at that time and I did not want to spend the night in Biaritz, the taxi is 80 euros so hopefully I could get 4 together to share the cost. Carl. from Chorley Lancashire.

Hi Carl,

I've now brought my trip forward by a day and will be arriving in SJPdP on the 19th May.. I hope to meet you along the Way...
My flight arrives at 15:30 in Biarritz from Stansted London so hopefully all will be good with the trip to SJPP.. :)

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi I was inspired by the film the way.
I will be starting my Camino on the 10th April 2012 I have planned to complete my pilgrimage in 32 days.
In preparation I am walking 10 to 12 miles every other day with a pack of 10k on hard surfaces and up to now no problems. I will reach my 65th birthday on the 17th May 2012 so I will be on a great high.
I am sorry we will not meet so I wish you safe and injury free walk.

I was inspired by the film the way
It is inspirational, just do not expect the walk to be as easy as depicted. You are undertaking a half-marathon a day for over a month with several mountain ranges. There will be some rough spots, but you will succeed if you know how to deal with the adversity. Find the good advice in these topics, and adopt it. Buen Camino!

Hi Bryan,

Having walked, I trust you'll find the real experience many times better than anything the movie can convey :)

People of all ages and fitness levels walk, and they do so incredibly successfully...in that sense, I can mostly suggest to listen to your body. On the Camino, as in life, your body will tell you what and how to walk. I found that warming up my joints in the morning and stretching at the end of the day, even for a few minutes, made a world of a difference.

You will come across a lot of pilgrims and get to meet great people from all over the world. That's what of the beauties of the Camino. Having walked solo myself, I can say that there's totally different qualities in walking by yourself vs. walking with someone. I found both important and though I walked most of the path by myself, I made sure to walk a few days with other people.

A good guidebook can make a big difference. I liked John Brierley's guide a lot-
http://caminoguides.com/camino_frances/index.html

(note new edition in December 2011)

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm yet another person at least partially inspired to walk the Camino after watching The Way.

I'll also be starting in late May, and am currently in training and research mode.

My flights are booked, and I'll be getting to St Jean on May 20, starting the walk on May 21, stopping at Orrison on day 1, rather than going all the way to Roncesvalles. I think I would probably be able to do the full 28 kms on the first day, but I've made a conscious decision to ease myself into the walk over the first four or five days, rather than put my body under more strain than necessary while it's still adjusting.

I've no doubt there will be hard moments and it won't always be a barrel of laughs, but if I thought it was going to be easy I would be less interested in doing it!

Hopefully I'll meet up with all of you at some point along the line!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back