• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino del norte in august/ september

aurora

Hello dear pilgrims,
I am planning to walk on the Camino del Norte this summer, starting out late August. I have about 20 walking days, and wonder if anyone could give advise as to where to set out, when I would like to end up in Santiago?
In the guide-books that I have, there are quite a few long walks (30 km and more), which will be a bit over the top for me. I figure walking 20 - 25 km on average... (I walked from Le Puy last spring, and overdid it, resulting in tendinitis in both ankles; an experience I would like to avoid this time...)

Apart from that; I'll be grateful for any tips from people with previous experience on this route.

The planning has begun :)

Aurora

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are going to be walking the Norte from San Vicente de la Barquera starting next Wed, if all works out as planned. I think that is about 300 miles, 475 ish kms,(via Gijon, not Oviedo) and we have 28 days to reach Santiago. We are hoping to start with shorter stages (16 - 20 km) and work up to 20 - 24km. So we will be able to give you more accurate information at the end of April! I (Bridget) will also be trying to keep up to date on our blog - see below!

best wishes

Welcome Aurora and Buen Camino Bridget and Peter.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you Bridget;
I'll definitely look into your blog! And I wish you and Peter a nice camino!
Me too;I'll walk via Gijon and not Oviedo; or that's what I'm thinking now. Things might change along the way.
Take care,
Greetings,
Merete

Hola Aurora,
I'm setting off from Santona on Sunday 26 August and plan to reach Santiago on Monday 17 September (23 days walking). I walked from Hondarribia near Irun to Laredo in 2009. That took 10 days.
I hope you're enjoying your planning and training. It's fun.
Evan Low's blog is quite helpful. I have just read it.
Buen camino.
Rodney

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Aurora,
Here's some information that may or may not be helpful. I just got a note from the hotel I booked in Bilbao August 18. They informed me that the Bilbao Fiesta takes place between Aug 17-25. Because they are located in the old town area, they said that they couldn't guarantee the comfort of their guests, so they will be shutting down that week. They described this time in old town as "24 hour partying" in the streets and very noisy.

So, if you are looking for a party (as Joust was in "The Way"), then Bilbao will be the place during those days. Or, you may want to skip Bilbao altogether during that period. I had planned on starting my Camino in Bilbao by attending mass at the Cathedral on Sunday morning, but now I'm thinking otherwise.

This info may, of course, be important to others starting their Camino in late August.
Buen Camino,
Giles

Thank you for useful tips and information!
And buen Camino to Michael, Rodney and Giles!

I was actually planning on arriving in Bilbao the 19th, see the Guggenheim, and take the bus a few km west the next day to start walking. But with the whole inner city on its end for the fiesta, I might reconsider that, and go straight to San Vicente or Llanes....

Do anyone have an opinion on what kind of shoes to wear on this route?

Utreia, Aurora

Hola Aurora,

I wore walking shoes last time. They worked well. I certainly don't think you need hiking boots unless you have ankle problems. There were a few days of hills early on, but the way flattened out somewhat the further west I walked. A lot of people seem to wear joggers and there are joggers now specially designed for walking and hiking. They have more solid soles.

This time I'm wearing walking sandals (Keen brand). They have a good sole and a covered toe, but openings to allow air flow. I've been training in them and they are very comfortable. I'm wearing short socks for a bit of extra comfort, but have found the sandals very comfortable without them. One good thing about the sandals is that they have the pull fastening rather than laces, so they are easy to get on and off and adjust. They're also not quite as heavy as the shoes. If it rains I'll get wet feet, but that's okay.

Buen camino,
Rodney

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Aurora and Giles,
One other thing about Bilbao, if you like galleries. The Guggenheim building is fantastic. The collection at the Museum of Fine Arts (I think that was the name without checking) is excellent. I actually enjoyed its exhibits more than the Guggenheim when I was there in 2009. Its located just around the corner from the Guggenheim.
I hope you get a look at the centre of Bilbao, it's well worth exploring, but with all the narrow streets, I can understand it could be very noisy and crowded.
Cheers,
Rodney

Hi Aurora,
Start in Castro and wear Merrell's .
Its a great route with all types of accommodation.
David

Thanks Rodney, I was going to walk around Bilbao but now I think I ought to stop in at that art gallery (Bellas artes). I've passed the Guggenheim a couple of times over the years and never went in...I just don't like that kind of art. I don't care much for the Guggenheim in NYC either. But the other museum looks very promising for me (online). I had forgotten about it.

Gracias,
Giles

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,
I'll go back to Santander next monday (july, 16)...
I won't do the "official" camino because I'll go to Oviedo and then Avilès and Ribadeo.
From Ribadeo I'll take the Camino Real-Camino del Mar via Viviero to go to San Andrès de Teixedo and then to the Cabo Ortegal.
Then, I'll take the GR50 to go to Betzangos and I'll continue via the Camino Inglès... (Santiago and after Cabo Fisterra)
If someone interesting...

Buen camino !

Hi fellow caminos and Aurora! :)

I just booked my flight yesterday *yehhh* to Bilbao on Sept 1 to do my first camino walk. I will stay two nights in Bilbao to have a look in this city before I start my walk, which probably will be from Gijón, taking the bus or train there.
Any recommendations here, are there parts of the camino I could skip due to not so nice landscape, or would starting Gijón be a good alternative?
My return flight from Porto is on Sept 30. I am planning to walk for about 20 days, and approximately 15 km per day (trying to being nice to my bad back and knee :) )
Have so far done most of my preparation when it comes to equipment (boots, clothes - not so much of course :) and need to buy a back pack).

See you on camino.
Cheers,
Åsa.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.