• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino del Norte - Mid September - Am I too optimistic?

Time of past OR future Camino
FRuture: Camino Sureste (2022)
Dear Members,

I am considering the possibility of walking the Camino del Norte in mid September 2020 and I am not sure if I am too optimistic.
Has anyone so far since the Covid-19 outbreak tried to walk this route or maybe anyone is walking it tis time?
I appreciate any feedback especially regarding status with hostels and albergues at the moment. It is useless to plan to do it unless there is accomodation on the way unless one is prepared to stay outdoors.

Thank you for any feedback,
Regards,
Ray

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey Raymond, I am starting this Saturday with my girlfriend from Santander, I will be posting about it in this thread.

So far, so good... We had no troubles with flights and finding our initial two days accommodation in Santander. We are bringing our tent for just in case... I was doing some more research this morning and some albergues along the way are open. We will see...

Hi Ray
You may need to check weekly on the Norte sub forum (& sub forum ‘Covid & the camino )as updates keep coming indicating closures and lockdowns. These may be over by September so all the best with plans.

Eg
Ist link below includes a post yesterday by @peregrina2000 with lockdown info

2nd link is a current Norte live thread by @Kateline
They may help

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi!!

I live roughtly in the middle of the Camino del Norte.

Several days ago I saw the first pilgrims crossing my city. I asked them how many pilgrims they found in the albergues every night and what the state of the albergues is like.

They told me that they were like 6/7 pilgrims in the albergue every night and that 80% of the albergues were open, but that it is better to phone the day before to make sure which ones are open and which ones are closed.

Since that day I have seen pilgrims almost every day and the answer was always the same.

Taking into consideration that my hometown is in the middle of the Camino, the number of pilgrims really surprised me!!

I planned to start the Camino Frances or the Camino del Norte (not yet decided wich one) on July 15. I will probably have to postpone the Camino for about a week due to some issues with some official documents, but I don't foresee any problem. I will only have to maintain the safety measures .... wich basicaly are the same ones I follow when I am in my city.

From what we hear on radio, read in the papers and see on TV, I’d say yes, you’re being optimistic right now but that may change. Unlikely but it might. Six weeks is six weeks, a good cure, if not a vaccine, may be found. Want to be on the safe side, don’t go. Want to take a bit of a risk, go. I’m booked for September too. My chances of going from here, Australia, zilch. I’d rather wait and go along when we can all relax. If you do go I’m sure it’ll be a unique experience. And that’s not a bad thing, providing that you’re not putting others at risk. Blah...blah... we could go on forever. Buen Camino all the same.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey Ray,

We live in US and still have our tickets for October. No one knows what will happen. I am sure we will need to make a decision in September. Our airlines have not cancelled our flights.

Hi!!

I live roughtly in the middle of the Camino del Norte.

Several days ago I saw the first pilgrims crossing my city. I asked them how many pilgrims they found in the albergues every night and what the state of the albergues is like.

They told me that they were like 6/7 pilgrims in the albergue every night and that 80% of the albergues were open, but that it is better to phone the day before to make sure which ones are open and which ones are closed.

Since that day I have seen pilgrims almost every day and the answer was always the same.

Taking into consideration that my hometown is in the middle of the Camino, the number of pilgrims really surprised me!!

I planned to start the Camino Frances or the Camino del Norte (not yet decided wich one) on July 15. I will probably have to postpone the Camino for about a week due to some issues with some official documents, but I don't foresee any problem. I will only have to maintain the safety measures .... wich basicaly are the same ones I follow when I am in my city.
Where do you live, Lirsy? If I might ask. am thinking about a place on the Asturian Coast. Of course, right now, live in a country that is banned from traveling to Spain, so it’s just a pipe dream at this point. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey Ray,

We live in US and still have our tickets for October. No one knows what will happen. I am sure we will need to make a decision in September. Our airlines have not cancelled our flights.
Of course, right now USA residentes are banned from entering Spain, right?

Dear Members,

I am considering the possibility of walking the Camino del Norte in mid September 2020 and I am not sure if I am too optimistic.
Has anyone so far since the Covid-19 outbreak tried to walk this route or maybe anyone is walking it tis time?
I appreciate any feedback especially regarding status with hostels and albergues at the moment. It is useless to plan to do it unless there is accomodation on the way unless one is prepared to stay outdoors.

Regards,
Ray

Hi Ray
We've just booked flights for 3 September and are planning to walk the Camino Ingles. We've reserved rooms in hostels, with free cancellation. We felt it would be safer to have our own room and bathroom. Would have liked to stay in (and support) the albergues though.

Dear Members,

Regards,
Ray
I am also hoping to walk del Norte in September... not sure I will be allowed in as my country has not responded well to Covid.... but still I hope. I will follow.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear all,
Thank you all for the response! It seems that the siruation at the moment is still fluid...let us take it day by day hoping that by september things will improve for all of us considering the DEel Norte in September.

Buemn Camino,
Ray

As you said, the situation is still fluid. Just yesterday, about 1400 new Covid cases were reported in Spain and there is a renewed risk of regional/national lockdown. I was planning a Camino del Norte for March/April next year and am not reassured that the Covid problem be resolved by then. For a Camino next September be on the look out especially for social distancing measures regulating the albergues. Some say that the current average allowed occupancy level of albergues is below 50% and September is relatively a popular month on the Camino. Accommodation at albergues could be easily filled. Be prepared for other types of accommodation or else when possible book beforehand. Buen Camino Ray.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On June 29th, the European Union approved a list of countries whose passport holders will be allowed into the EU. The United States is not on that list. At present US passport holders, with only very special and specific exceptions, are disallowed entry into the EU. This severe restriction is likely to remain in place until the US COVID case rate falls below that of the EU. As of early July those numbers are about 15 per 100,000 for the EU and about 145 per 100,000 for the US. Yes, a factor of ten. Clearly this restriction is very likely to linger into the end of the year.

The Washington Post, July 8, 2020: “Everything Americans need to know about the E.U. travel ban

Friday, July 10th: El País reports “Spain reports 73 active coronavirus outbreaks“. One region that has moved back from the “new normality” includes 14 municipalities in Lugo on the Camino del Norte. That means that movement into and out of that region is prohibited. Only two provinces in the country are *not* reporting new outbreaks. This is a reminder that interior borders may be closed at any time with no advance warning.

https://americanpilgrims.org/covid-19-what-you-should-know/

At present US passport holders, with only very special and specific exceptions, are disallowed entry into the EU.
It's not necessarily what passport you hold, but where you reside. For example, a US passport holder who lives in Canada should be allowed to travel to the EU, but a Canadian passport holder who lives in the US wouldn't.

The person who asks the question whether hoping to walk the Camino del Norte in mid-September is too optimistic, @Raymond Aquilina, is from Malta which is a country that is part of the European Union. The EU list of safe countries is of no importance in this context.

You can see where someone is from when you click on a forum member's avatar (and when the forum member has provided this information).

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just wanted to say there is a problem in the seaside village of Zarautz on el Norte. According to another post on this Forum 4 campers have tested positive and the village or town of Zarautz has to quarantine. I think

Just wanted to say there is a problem in the seaside village of Zarautz on el Norte. According to another post on this Forum 4 campers have tested positive and the village or town of Zarautz has to quarantine. I think
According to what I've read, it was 2 campers at the campsite, and the campground has been quarantined, but not the entire town.

According to what I've read, it was 2 campers at the campsite, and the campground has been quarantined, but not the entire town.
It was indeed reported at first that two people at the Talai Mendi campsite in Zarautz were tested and found to be infected but later it was reported that it was 4 people and they are in isolation now. In any case, the campsite in Zarautz has been disinfected and is back in use and open again. Campers had been confined and were not allowed to leave for a day or so. Currently, there is mass testing of the young people in Zarautz but it is not connected to the camping.

These appear to be fast moving events at local level in various parts of Spain.

Source here.

Last edited:
Hi Ray
We've just booked flights for 3 September and are planning to walk the Camino Ingles. We've reserved rooms in hostels, with free cancellation. We felt it would be safer to have our own room and bathroom. Would have liked to stay in (and support) the albergues though.

Hi GailGwyn,
I was wondering what your opinion is at the moment. As per your last post I am aware that you have booked for the 3rd September. What do you think considering the increase in covid 19 cases in Spain? I am booked for the 10th September and I have not given up yet. I am still hoping to leave.

I notice that a considerable number of hostels are open on the Camino del Norte but have not booked any yet. I feel I have to share with you my views.

Thanks and buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi GailGwyn,
I was wondering what your opinion is at the moment. As per your last post I am aware that you have booked for the 3rd September. What do you think considering the increase in covid 19 cases in Spain? I am booked for the 10th September and I have not given up yet. I am still hoping to leave.

I notice that a considerable number of hostels are open on the Camino del Norte but have not booked any yet. I feel I have to share with you my views.

Thanks and buen Camino
Hi Ray
We're still hoping to go, but it depends on the UK Government changing the rules on self quarantine on return. I don't really want to take an extra 2 weeks off work.

Also, going against Foreign Office advice would mean that any travel insurance is invalid.

In the next few days I'll have to cancel my first refundable accommodation. I don't know what, if anything I'll be able to do about booked flights. Hopefully, they'll allow free transfer.

So, it either Spain (hopefully), or Pembrokeshire 😎

What about you?

Hi Ray
We're still hoping to go, but it depends on the UK Government changing the rules on self quarantine on return. I don't really want to take an extra 2 weeks off work.

Also, going against Foreign Office advice would mean that any travel insurance is invalid.

In the next few days I'll have to cancel my first refundable accommodation. I don't know what, if anything I'll be able to do about booked flights. Hopefully, they'll allow free transfer.

So, it either Spain (hopefully), or Pembrokeshire 😎

What about you?
Hi GailGwyn ,
Thank you for your response...I understand very well your position. So far from our end we have no quarantine requirement upon travelling to spain. In Malta there have been daily increases in the number of cases and I am keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. I am currently biding my time and waiting for the next couple of weeks to come hoping that there may be some improvement in the situation.
Lets hope it all goes well with our plans :)
regards,
Ray

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi GailGwyn ,
Thank you for your response...I understand very well your position. So far from our end we have no quarantine requirement upon travelling to spain. In Malta there have been daily increases in the number of cases and I am keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. I am currently biding my time and waiting for the next couple of weeks to come hoping that there may be some improvement in the situation.
Lets hope it all goes well with our plans :)
regards,
Ray

Hi Ray
I hope you get to go. My feeling is that we're going to have to cancel. Spain's cases are continuing to rise.

As a Plan B, I've been looking at walking part of the South Wales, Pembrokeshire coastline.

We were in Malta in February this year and loved it.

Best wishes
Gail and Gwyn

Thank you GailGwyn,
I feel encouraged to go...so far we have no imposed quarantine both ways ..I am waiting till the last week anbd then decide. If any quarantine will be imposed on coming back to Malta it will not be a great problem from my end as I am retired.
I am glad you loved Malta and hope that thing will soon be better for anyone travelling this way...
Take care and enjoy your walking in Pembrokeshire ...I am sure it will be lovely.
Take care,
Ray

Thank you GailGwyn,
I feel encouraged to go...so far we have no imposed quarantine both ways ..I am waiting till the last week anbd then decide. If any quarantine will be imposed on coming back to Malta it will not be a great problem from my end as I am retired.
I am glad you loved Malta and hope that thing will soon be better for anyone travelling this way...
Take care and enjoy your walking in Pembrokeshire ...I am sure it will be lovely.
Take care,
Ray
Thanks Ray.
Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dear Members,

Regards,
Ray

Watching this as, in a moment of exceptional forward planning, I bought my ferry ticket to Santander, for mid-September, pre COVID. Whilst I have some reservations, if I cancel now I can't reasonably expect to be able to reschedule for at least a year and am not getting any younger! (60 in November). My budget is tight, so was planning on using the albergues, and definitely not up for carrying camping gear. Buen Camino all!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.