• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino Frances alone in September

Roxontheroad

Time of past OR future Camino
Cycled and walked in 2014. Planning on walking the Camino Frances this fall.
Hi! I am a 26 year old female, planning on walking the Camino Frances alone this September/October (starting mid-September). How well populated is it at that time of year? I know a lot of people walk then because it's not as crowded as the summer months, but I'm definitely hoping to meet plenty of cool people. I walked part of it in the summer a few years ago and the friendships I made at the time were one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Cheers,
Roxane

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi! I am a 26 year old female, planning on walking the Camino Frances alone this September/October (starting mid-September). How well populated is it at that time of year? I know a lot of people walk then because it's not as crowded as the summer months, but I'm definitely hoping to meet plenty of cool people. I walked part of it in the summer a few years ago and the friendships I made at the time were one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Cheers,
Roxane
Hi,
I am one of the "Cool people" (I hope/think). :) I start from Pamplona at the start of Sept, if all goes to plan. I will be long ahead of you, so we will not meet, but you will meet many cool people in Sept. Enjoy.

Edit: I am always happy to see young people walk the Camino: It will give you a headstart to a meaning- and insightful life; a life headstart compared to many others your age. (I am 63 and started a bit too late,)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How well populated is it at that time of year?
Where are you planning to start?

Here is a site with statistics from the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, about the people who received compostelas.

Let's assume that the pilgrims finish their walk in the month following their start. You can see that in
  • October 2016: 28,222 people received compostelas. Of these, 6377 started in Sarria and 5819 started in St. Jean Pied de Port. Everyone else started somewhere else, a majority somewhere between these places on the Camino Frances
  • September 2016: 40,149 people received compostelas. Of those, 10,900 started in Sarria and 4154 started in St Jean Pied de Port.
  • August 2016: 53,204 got compostelas with 14,938 starting in Sarria and 3942 in SJPP.
So, you can see that the Sept-Oct arrivals are down from August, but (very roughly) somewhere between 100 and 200 people started in SJPP everyday, and between 200 and 500 started in Sarria each day, not to mention everyone else started in between. That's pretty well populated! ;)

Welcome Roxane and Stella! There were definitely a lot of cool people walking the Francés in September 2015 when I walked it and I bet there are even more this year.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi! I am a 26 year old female, planning on walking the Camino Frances alone this September/October (starting mid-September). How well populated is it at that time of yHear? I know a lot of people walk then because it's not as crowded as the summer months, but I'm definitely hoping to meet plenty of cool people. I walked part of it in the summer a few years ago and the friendships I made at the time were one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Cheers,
Roxane
Hi Roxane, some times it will be a challance to walk really alone
My wife has also walked alone in September and she enjoy'd it very much.

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

I've walked parts of the Camino in late September/early October in 2015 and 2016.

You'll find it difficult to be truly alone for more than a few km at a time.

As for 'cool' people, well that's going to be up to you to seek out those whom you consider to be 'cool'.

But I have no doubt you will have a fantastic time! Buen Camino x

Hi Roxane, some times it will be a challance to walk really alone
My wife has also walked alone in September and she enjoy'd it very much.

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.
Hello. I will be starting on 7 th or 8 th of September this year from SJPDP. Can you please tell me if it rains on the Camino Frances in the September- October time period ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello. I will be starting on 7 th or 8 th of September this year from SJPDP. Can you please tell me if it rains on the Camino Frances in the September- October time period ?
Hi,as already stated nobody can tell in advance iff it is dry or rain.
It is what it is.
Wish you well,Peter.

Do you have an idea of your starting location and date? You could probably easily find someone to share your journey if you want a walking companion.

I'll probably be en Camino in September, but I'll be on a bicycle. (I imagine you don't particularly want to hang out with a 63-year-old male, anyway.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Cheers,
Roxane
Hi Roxane
You wont be the only female alone on the Camino! I start Sept 2nd. You may catch up to me! I hope to meet you!
Cheers,
Beth Wanderlust57

I walked "alone" last September, just 7 days starting from St. Jean. There should be a couple of hundred starting per day. If you're starting in St Jean, most people start at the same time (around 6.30 - 7.45) so most likely you will be surrounded. I met many of the friends that I walked with on subsequent days in St Jean and walking from there so you should be open chatting and mixing with the wonderful range of people you will meet. BC.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

It would be unusual to not have any rain for all of September and October especially as you get farther west into Galicia. You may walk 3-4 weeks without rain and then have it rain every day for a week too. Having walked many days in the rain I find that I don't mind it at all especially if I am warm. My biggest concern would be if I had to walk along the road would the cars be able to see me. I always bring a lightweight reflective vest to wear especially in the early morning fog they can have in Galicia.

Buen Camino!

Cheers,
Roxane
I have walked it 2 times from about September 23rd to the end of October and you will be fine. Lots of young people your age and lots of old ones like me too! It is a great time to walk although bring your rain gear for Galicia and the Meseta. Although the first time I walked the Meseta was about 90 every day and the second time there were 4 days of high wind in my face and heavy rain.
So bring layers and maybe a couple of pairs of extra socks. On those rainy days collect newspapers to stuff in your shoes when you get to the albergue.
Stuff them as soon as you arrive. Stuff again about an hour later and once more before bed and you will have dry sneakers (I wear light trail running shoes) in the morning. It will be great as you also you probably won't have problems finding albergues. But leave early on the Meseta.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As many others said, you will only be alone when you elect to be alone, and you will meet life-long friends that will change your life. I encourage you to be open to others. All this will likely become obvious within a day or two on the Camino.
Calm your heart.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As many have said before, I'm one of the cool people too. :) I'll be walking the Camino alone from September 23rd out of Pamplona.
Maybe we'll meet, but if we don't Buen Camino!

Katja

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back