• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Walking the Camino Frances in 16 days?

brownzp

I've just booked my flight to Madrid! After a couple weeks of deliberation, it feels great to finally be "locked-in." But I'm still not sure where to start my journey on the route. My time is somewhat limited, but I've managed to give myself 16 days of walking.

I am thinking about starting in Burgos. According to Wikipedia, it's 480km from Santiago. With 16 days to do it, that comes out to exactly 30 kilometers a day. Is that realistic? I wouldn't mind an arduous journey, but I also don't want to be rushing so quickly through the towns and countryside that I don't have a chance to stop and enjoy a vista or two.

Is Burgos to Santiago reasonable in 16 days? If not, where would be a good place to start?

Sub-question: I've read some blogs online and it seems like pilgrims can simply go to the refugio where they are starting their journey, apply for the pilgrim's passport, and start walking immediately afterwards. Is it that easy to get the passport?

Thanks,
Zach

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Zach.
First, 30 kms per day is a pretty high average.
On my 3 caminos I've averaged 25 to 28 kms per day.
Individual days have been as high as 40.
Doing 30 kms/day for 2 or 3 days is quite achievable, but after 4 or 5 days, my tired body begs for a short day in which I only walk 15 to 20.

Second, I don't think all albergues have pilgrim passports (credentials) to distribute. But I suspect that the chances of getting one at the larger albergues in the larger cities are pretty good. I understand they are available from some churches and cathedrals. We picked up a new credential for a friend from the church in Sarria and gave the priest a 2 Euro donation.

As for where to start, and how far to go... my bias is towards starting in Saint Jean Pied du port because so many people start there. Try that, and plan on finishing the Camino another year.

Have fun dreaming about the camino.
It is part of the journey.

David, Victoria, Canada.

Hi Zach, If you have only 16 days and wish to receive your compostela upon completion, I'd advise starting in Leon. It depends on what you want to achieve. It's good advice to start in St Jean and return to complete the rest over a period of years (and many do) but friends have walked from Leon and found it to be very rewarding and manageable. Remember your token, stone etc to place at Cruz.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Greetings from Itero de Vega. I have been hiking the Camino Frances for 11 days starting in SJPdP and have covered over 338 km (that's an average of 30 km per day). I plan to arrive in Santiago de Compostela by August 10.
I usually start at 6 am and by 4 pm I reach my destination for the day. I walk very slowly (4 kph), take a 5 min break every hour. I could walk faster if I do not do most of it barefoot.
So Zach, 16 days from Burgos to Santiago is doable. But you need to train a lot. And be sure to take your time.

Thanks very much for the replies. I found and purchased a super cheap flight from Santiago back to Madrid (even before my first post.) So I would like to get to Santiago, even though starting closer to the finish with the intention of getting there on one's first walk doesn't seem to be the most popular way to do it.

If you only have 16 days I would advise you to start in Leon. Leon to Santiago can be done in 14-15 days, plus one security or rest day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Back