• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking the Camino Frances March 26 2016 will we be able to cross route Napoleon?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Rebecca, when you check in with the pilgrim office in St. Jean they will be able to tell you whether the weather is sufficient to attempt the Napoleonic Route.

JG

Rebecca, when you check in with the pilgrim office in St. Jean they will be able to tell you whether the weather is sufficient to attempt the Napoleonic Route.

JG
thanks, there is a post that said that the route would be close Nov until April and we have our plane tickets and cannot change now

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can still take the Valcarlos route from St. Jean to Roncesvalles.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
thanks, there is a post that said that the route would be close Nov until April and we have our plane tickets and cannot change now
Hi Rebecca, that post correct. Closed till the end of March.
But what Jetgirl stated is that you go to the pilgrims office and they will give you all the information you looking for.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think you might be disappointed. Unless the regional government has lifted their closure, my understanding is that Route Napoleon won't open until 1 April. I haven't seen anything yet about how they plan to deal with the possibility that the weather would allow the route to be opened earlier than 1 April.

I think you might be disappointed. Unless the regional government has lifted their closure, my understanding is that Route Napoleon won't open until 1 April. I haven't seen anything yet about how they plan to deal with the possibility that the weather would allow the route to be opened earlier than 1 April.
I guess we will see one can always hope

Rebecca the route through Valcarlos is also lovely and the older route - used by medieval pilgrims. It will be open. Very scenic and strenuous. So no need to feel disappointed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Rebecca the route through Valcarlos is also lovely and the older route - used by medieval pilgrims. It will be open. Very scenic and strenuous. So no need to feel disappointed.
yes
yes you are so right ! whatever happens it will be just the way it should
Rebecca, my wife walked the Valcarlos route and she loved it very much. Don't worry about wich route they are both great to walk.
Wish you well, Peter.
thank you

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We went over the route Napoleon on April 11th this year (2015). Beautiful, with some snow, about a 2km stretch and about 15 cm deep. There had been a cold late winter in northern Spain and France. We kept an eye on weather reports from stations up in this area and checked with the pilgrim office before setting off. It's been exceptionally mild in western Europe so far this winter, but it's early days yet.

I hear there is a blanket ban now in the winter months, including March. I've never walked the Valcarlos route, but I know there's a lot of walking on or near roads on the rest of the Camino Frances so would recommend the high route if possible, and Brierley's 'green' alternatives along the way. Trucks and cars worry me more than a small or moderate amounts of snow. But ice and deep snow are out unless you use equipment that no pilgrim would want to carry.

The reason the Napoleon has been closed for the winter months is because many people ignored the advice from the pilgrim office when it was dangerous, and got into difficulties, some lost their lives. One must also remember that the Napoleon is mostly on road as well, it is a higher route and the views are spectacular when you can see them, which is not very often in winter from what I've been told. The authorities did not close this route to spite people but to protect lives including the lives of the rescue service personnel.

We walked the Napoleon in early January (in 2006). The pilgrim office was closed and we didn't really consider whether it would be a risk. (Coming from Australia we don't get snow in winter). Halfway up we were caught in a sudden blizzard, and it was very clear with a fierce wind blowing, snow coming down heavily and the temperature plummeting, that we were definitely at risk of dying then and there. It might have taken us a long time to even be found dead in the snow, as there were so few pilgrims. We sheltered behind a bit of wall we found and (obviously) survived it, feeling rather shaken and very relieved.
Last year we walked Le Puys to SJPP in spring and intended to finish with a glorious walk across the Napoleon to Roncesvalles. But on that day it was completely overcast and we wouldn't have seen anything but mist, no lovely views at all. So we didn't do it. C'est la vie. All part of the rich tapestry of living with the weather for a few weeks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
... Halfway up we were caught in a sudden blizzard, and it was very clear with a fierce wind blowing, snow coming down heavily and the temperature plummeting, that we were definitely at risk of dying then and there. It might have taken us a long time to even be found dead in the snow, as there were so few pilgrims. We sheltered behind a bit of wall we found and (obviously) survived it, feeling rather shaken and very relieved.

So how did you get out of that situation? Enquiring mind wants to know! In all cases, very happy that you did make it into safety! Buen Camino, SY

So how did you get out of that situation? Enquiring mind wants to know! In all cases, very happy that you did make it into safety! Buen Camino, SY

We were just incredibly lucky. There was a little low stone wall just up the hill from Orisson, near where there is a statue of Mary. If it is still there you will probably know the spot. We crouched down close together, heads down, tucked into one ball, on the side best out of the wind, and stayed there like a couple of animals sheltering until it blew past. Fortunately it did blow over. We had thermals, gloves and fleece headgear, which helped, but shared bodywarmth also kept us going just long enough. It was a big "Phew" when the storm abated. As we went up the hill there was a low stone shepherd's hut and we debated crawling in there in case the storm returned but after consideration decided to make a run for it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dougfitz has pointed out that there is snow in Australia - so in the interests of accuracy I will clarify - yes, actually there a greater area than all of Switzerland. But it is a big and mostly warm country, so most Aussies live and die without ever seeing snow, which means we are very far from able to assess snow-related risk factors.

We are starting April 19th and understand it to be closed. The Albergue in Orrison is also closed till then, at least we have been told. We were looking forward to that pat of the Camino also.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rebecca, my wife and I are starting from SJPP on 25th March. We are resigned to the fact that the route Napoleon will be closed but if it turns out to be open I will try to remember to let you know.
We ----my son Dart 23 and our friend Ariel 24 and me Rebecca 58 we get to SJPP on the 25 of March and hope to start that day but I do not have our train tickets yet so I do not know if we will be able to start the 25 or 26 good hiking to you and you wife !

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

JG
What if you have reservations at Orisson and the route is closed?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are starting April 19th and understand it to be closed. The Albergue in Orrison is also closed till then, at least we have been told. We were looking forward to that pat of the Camino also.
Both should be open by then. I walked over on April 11th 2015. Pass was open, just. Orrison was full to bursting.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back