• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino Frances

nick11

Hi I am really interested in doing this journey I am in pretty good shape, but it looks like a very tough but exciting journey. I want to know some more information if possible. Where does the camino Frances start and which airport is closer. How is the weather in late January early Feb. How much time is needed? These are just some starter questions, but if anyone could give me more insight it would be helpful.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello, Nick,

Welcome to the forum. There are so many "experienced" pilgrims here who can answer all your questions! They can also give you personal insights into various aspects of the Camino. I have only walked in summer so I cannot really help you in terms of weather, but I do suggest that you listen carefully to any/all warnings you receive regarding weather, especially in the mountains. There are a number of posts about weather, but the very recent one below this one "Walking through a blizzard in O Cebreiro" is very interesting. There is a link to their blog.

Take a browse around the list of topics and you will find a wealth of information on all things Camino! As far as a starting point, I came up from Madrid and began in Roncesvalles, the typical "starting point" from Spain. Many others begin in Saint Jean Pied de Port on the French side of the Pyrenees. Your starting point has more to do with time and personal choice, I think than anything else. Many would say, and I include myself among these, that your journey begins when you decide to make your Camino!

Buen Camino,

Hello Nick

Welcome to the Forum. To answer some of your questions, the nearest airport to St. Jean Pied de Port is Biarritz. As regards walking in January and Februray, I cannot offer any advice as I started my camino in October but I would imagine that crossing the Pynenees in the height of winter would be problematic.

As regards the time needed to walk the Camino, I would advise any intending pilgrim not to become obsessed with time and distance because one can always return to complete the Camino at a future date. I walked from SJPP to Logrono in October and I intend returning again in April and October of 2009 to complete my Camino.

If you have any more questions - just ask.

Buen Camino

Paul

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Congratulations on making the decision to have a go. I really enjoyed the experience. I walked the camino 4 years ago from St John Pied de Port. It took me 5 weeks at an average of 23km per day. I would not attempt it in Jan or Feb. They are the coldest 2 months of the year with snow and blizzards common. I went in late April/May which was spring time. I still walked through snow on the top of the Pyrenees. It was also very wet for the first 2 weeks ie trudging through mud every day for a week. It got cool again at the other end entering the mountains in Galacia. In between it was good walking weather.
To get there I flew to Paris (from Australia) and then got the express train to Bayonne. I changed there to a little train that takes you directly into Pied de Port. I stayed at "L'Esprit du Chemin" which you can book on the net. It is owned by a Dutch couple who operate it for 8 months of the year. The Pyrenees are covered in snow for the other 4 months. There are ski resorts nearby - that's the kind of weather you would be facing.
You will need to be used to walking every day with a backpack. You should carry no more than 8 kilos in the pack. That means light weight everything. I bought the best walking boots I could get and broek them in over 9 months. The secret of preparation is to walk every day with your boots on to condition your feet. Many walkers had to quit because of torn feet or crook knees.
If you want to know more, email me.
Buen Camino James

If you can fly on Iberia to Pamplona you can get the Express Burricot taxi service to St Jean and then fly home from Santiago.

I walked from SJPP to Santiago in 30 days and I felt that was pretty aggressive...I was in my late 20's at the time. Interestingly enough, one of the fellows I met who kept the same pace was 70 years old...another was 65 years old. when I walk the camino next time I think I'll allow another week or so...like the other post says, I wouldn't advise getting too concerned with time or distance - make general plans and then let your body guide you. One pilgrim I met was kaput about 15 days into the journey because of stress fractures to his shins.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back