• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking the camino in april

jjarnold

Time of past OR future Camino
camino francés 2008, Via de la Plata March-april 2016
I am planning to walk the camino frances for the first time next year. I read many reports of how crowded the route is becoming, with unseemly rushes to get to the refugio in time I was planning to commence first week of april and finish early may. Any comments or experiences of those who have walked at this time would be very welcome. thanks to you all. jennifer

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are certain times when it's busier due to people's circumstances... Hence the build up in May, I guess. Or that's how some people have suggested, anyway. I think you'll be ok, but the weather won't be particularly nice. I always head off at roughly the same time of year - August, which most people see as being slightly mad, but it works for me.

THanks Minkey

have you also walked the via de la plata? perhaps this might be preferable, or is the scenery less inspiring.

Jennifer

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
April camino

The only problem with an early April walk is that one never know what the weather will be like in spring.
Two years ago pilgrims were caught in snow blizzards, heavy rains and flooding - one gave up after reaching Burgos because she couldn't see the arrows, couldn't stand the cold and the wind and rain anymore and took a train to Santiago.
It has been the same this year. On the 10th April an English hiker died after being caught in a blizzard crossing from St Jean to Roncesvalles. A group of three Italian hikers were rescued on the same day and one of our Forum members lost his way and it took him 16 hours to reach Roncesvalles. He suffered frost bite on fingers and toes and had give to up his walk and go home to Canada.
It could be a beautiful spring! It is up to the pilgrim to decide whether it is worth taking that chance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
well, blizzards certainly sounds rather offputting! is the northern route one of you mention likely to be similarly afflicted?

What Sil says makes sense, but I wouldn't be scared of the Route Napoleon.... It should be respected, rather than feared.

I walked during the last 10 days of April and the first 10 days of May last year and was fortunate - almost no rain, mornings started cold but warmed up quickly by sunshine; occasional muddy paths but mainly hard - and beds available in albergues almost everywhere even after 6pm

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
spursfan said:
I walked during the last 10 days of April and the first 10 days of May last year and was fortunate - almost no rain, mornings started cold but warmed up quickly by sunshine;

Ahhh yes..... but I was nearby in France last year, and I can tell you that after mid-May the weather deteriorated again and there were severe storms! The weather had been so lovely in France in early May that I decided it was time to buy a bike for my cycle tour. The weather then promptly deteriorated, and I needed to wait it out a few days before beginning. So spring really can be quite unpredictable and changeable.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Jennifer, after all of the above, a viable option: check out the Camino Portugues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqors2BXaB4 You can start it in Galicia or as far south in Portugal as u want. April in Portugal is something else...There's a growing infrastructure of albergues and I understand it's pretty well signalled, definitely from Ponte de Lima to Santiago, the portion I know. The albergues on the Galician side are excellent. Best, xm 8)

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back