• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino in late September to Early October

Diana1971

Time of past OR future Camino
El Camino (2018)
I am walking the Camino starting in O'Cebreiro in late September. I am unsure as to the weather during that time, especially in the evenings. Would a sleep sack suffice or should I plan on a sleeping bag? What about the day time?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am walking the Camino starting in O'Cebreiro in late September. I am unsure as to the weather during that time, especially in the evenings. Would a sleep sack suffice or should I plan on a sleeping bag? What about the day time?

Having done it twice, once ending in November(Santiago), the other in October ... September was HOT !!! We used mostly silk sleeping bag liners and even they proved to be to hot.

Buen Camino !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ah but nights can be cold, and days can be wet, especially in the Galician hills, with old stone buildings that are not always heated. I wouldn't go there without a lightweight sleeping bag, but you might get away with wearing all your clothes inside a silk liner if you tend to sleep warm. I was once so cold I couldn't sleep in Portomarin, and would rather take my sleeping bag and open it up to cool myself down than be cold without it. All personal preference though. And yes, the camino from O Cebreiro should be beautiful that time of year!

Ah but nights can be cold, and days can be wet, especially in the Galician hills, with old stone buildings that are not always heated. I wouldn't go there without a lightweight sleeping bag, but you might get away with wearing all your clothes inside a silk liner if you tend to sleep warm. I was once so cold I couldn't sleep in Portomarin, and would rather take my sleeping bag and open it up to cool myself down than be cold without it. All personal preference though. And yes, the camino from O Cebreiro should be beautiful that time of year!

I am a bit concerned about the day vs night temperatures. I don't want to be uncomfortable but I also don't want to weigh myself down with gear I may not use. Since this is my first time doing the Camino, I am not sure what to expect. I like sleeping with cold air around me as long as I am under the covers! :)

Consider a fleece throw. Easy to wash, lightweight and just enough on cool nights. I also put my rain poncho over the fleece one night-albergue windows were open.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Consider a fleece throw. Easy to wash, lightweight and just enough on cool nights. I also put my rain poncho over the fleece one night-albergue windows were open.

That's a great idea. I had not thought of that. Thanks!

This topic comes up fairly frequently on here. You may be able to find previous threads. This was the only thing that I personally felt I got bad advice from this forum on.
I started at SJPP Sept 2 last year. I left my sleeping bag at home based on some comments here. Roncesvalles and an increasing number of other alburgues do not supply blankets (tho most do). After a number of cold restless nights sleeping in all my clothes I bought a sleeping bag. I was glad I had it. I advise a lightweight summer sleeping bag as a good compromise

Layers is the trick for the day time. You are going to be walking for a month across Spain at very different elevations. There was like a week last year where it was 4c in the morning and 33 by 3pm.

One thing to note about the CF is that you can easily adjust along the way if you need. I got a good cheap sleeping bag. Friends bought lightweight gloves for the cold mornings etc.
Buen Camino

Hello Diana1971,
Many would say you are planning to walk at the end of the Summer months considering you are starting at O'Ceberio, I would agree with them.

From late August and onwards the evenings and early mornings, especially on high ground can be quite chilly indeed.

To offer advice, I would suggest taking a lightweight 2-season sleeping bag, and a liner, to allow you to use one or the other, or both, dependent upon how you feel at the time. The difference in weight is negligible, the benefits of a comfortable nights' sleep are immeasureable.

Buen (snuggly-buggly) Camno

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am a bit concerned about the day vs night temperatures. I don't want to be uncomfortable but I also don't want to weigh myself down with gear I may not use. Since this is my first time doing the Camino, I am not sure what to expect. I like sleeping with cold air around me as long as I am under the covers! :)

Walked in Sept/October twice...both times needed more than a silk liner in late September. It gets cool at night, most places do not turn on any heat until November ( as we were told ). Keep in mind too that your body is revved up all day walking and burning calories be it in rain or sun...at night once you stop walking it's sometimes hard to warm up. I now bring a silk liner which weighs next to nothing and a light down blanket. The two together don't weigh anywhere near a sleeping bag ( and you can bundle up in your cozy blanket at days end after your shower to unwind.... Go with your gut. If you know you need warmth to sleep well bring something along to make that work. ( and...I'll be walking this Sept in Portugal and following my own advice! lol )

This topic comes up fairly frequently on here. You may be able to find previous threads. This was the only thing that I personally felt I got bad advice from this forum on.
I started at SJPP Sept 2 last year. I left my sleeping bag at home based on some comments here. Roncesvalles and an increasing number of other alburgues do not supply blankets (tho most do). After a number of cold restless nights sleeping in all my clothes I bought a sleeping bag. I was glad I had it. I advise a lightweight summer sleeping bag as a good compromise

Layers is the trick for the day time. You are going to be walking for a month across Spain at very different elevations. There was like a week last year where it was 4c in the morning and 33 by 3pm.

One thing to note about the CF is that you can easily adjust along the way if you need. I got a good cheap sleeping bag. Friends bought lightweight gloves for the cold mornings etc.
Buen Camino

You may want to add that even if some blankets are available, they may not have been recently or ever washed. In private, more expensive albergues the likelihood of clean bedding is a bit better.

Buen Camino

Thanks for the input. I went out and bought a lightweight, summer sleeping bag last night.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last October it was definitely cold and very wet up there. But I was without a sleeping bag, having given it up as a last ditch attempt to lighten my backpack. One solution is simply to upgrade to a Hostal if you have a night that is too cold. Hostals , as you probably know are small hotels. There you can have blankets and not need a sleeping bag to stay warm. That’s what I did. It really isn’t very expensive to do that ocassionally.

This is a beautiful time to walk! I did the same time last year and it was perfect. I think only you can know how hot you sleep. I’m a pretty hot sleeper and only used my light weight sleeping bag as a barrier between me and the bedding. Next time I will only take a liner and pillowcase unless I go during the colder months. I was never in a place where I was cold and didn’t have access to blankets.

It was cold during the mornings, but I was fine with a lightweight puffer jacket, long pants, and scarf. There were a couple times I wanted to buy gloves, but never got around to it. If you find yourself really cold in the mornings, do a warm up! Ie some jumping jacks, push-ups, stretches, etc. In fact, do this anyway and it will keep you from getting injured. It’s not good to just jump into walking with a heavy pack when your body is cold and sleepy.

Buen Camino!

Having stayed in numerous alburgues during our Camino treks, one thing was almost a constant. People wanted to sleep with the doors and windows closed. I don't care how cold it got (rarely around freezing), the room was stifling from body heat and humidity from breathing. 4, 8,10,12,20, 50 people in a room=sauna.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
i concur with this one. i had a fleece poncho for a jacket/blanket and at times added by rain poncho for the outside layer of a three piece sleeping system: silk liner, fleece poncho and rain poncho. i knotted the last one at the bottom to help it stay put.

This is a beautiful time to walk! I did the same time last year and it was perfect. I think only you can know how hot you sleep. I’m a pretty hot sleeper and only used my light weight sleeping bag as a barrier between me and the bedding. Next time I will only take a liner and pillowcase unless I go during the colder months. I was never in a place where I was cold and didn’t have access to blankets.

It was cold during the mornings, but I was fine with a lightweight puffer jacket, long pants, and scarf. There were a couple times I wanted to buy gloves, but never got around to it. If you find yourself really cold in the mornings, do a warm up! Ie some jumping jacks, push-ups, stretches, etc. In fact, do this anyway and it will keep you from getting injured. It’s not good to just jump into walking with a heavy pack when your body is cold and sleepy.

Buen Camino!

THIS !!!!

Diana71. Generally speaking, the weather in O'Cebreiro that time of the year should be very pleasant with cool evenings and mild to warm days. That said, I hiked to O'Cebreiro in October (two years ago) and experienced rain and heavy winds, making my trek very challenging. If you pack smart with layers, you should be able to handle any type of weather you may experience. Happy Trails

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Adding another voice to the conversation. My pack is 36L and I try to bring only clothing etc. that have multiple uses. With that in mind, I've found it handy to bring a dark gray pullover cashmere sweater that I can sleep in or wear over a wicking shirt in the morning or under a rain jacket if it get cold and wet. It rolls up in the pack, never looks any different no matter how I pack it (usually it is stuffed at the bottom) and if I go out on the town somewhere, it works fine as an off the camino top with my hiking pants.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Walked CF through late Oct last year and did so with a 45 degree down bag. Will be doing it again next year carrying same bag.

Thanks! I am looking forward to the trail.
If you take a sleeping bag, use a lightweight one, but .... there is always a but ! The problem, arises even with cool temperatures at night, people want the doors and windows closed, only God knows why. Put 4,6,8,10 or more people into a closed room, that is that many people putting off body heat and moisture laden breath that raises both temperature and humidity. Had it happen multiple times, even in the cooler nights, it became stifling hot and the air rancid with bad, hot, moist breaths amongst other body releases. We carried lightweight bags and silk liners, we could use one or the other or both. :)
Buen Camino !!!

Our silk liners weighed 2 ounces :)

[QUOTE = "Diana1971, post: 644949, člen: 82571"] Chodím Camino začíná v O'Cebreiro koncem září. Nejsem si jistý, co se týče počasí, zejména ve večerních hodinách. Bude spací pytel postačující, nebo bych měl naplánovat spací pytel? A co denní čas? [/ QUOTE]
Do you wont to go with me - Iˇm from czech republic and I!l start my camino norte september 2018 - 20th from irun 2018 Petra

I walked last year, September 9-Oct 15. We had daytime highs from 45-98. I found many of the evenings very cool as well as mornings the closer we got to Galicia. I used a light weight sleeping bag (1.4 lbs) and it worked great. I also had a light weight puffy down jacket (10 oz) that packed down small into it's pocket that I used at night walking around and sometimes getting started in the morning. But....I am the one who is usually cold. You will be walking as the season is changing - which is absolutely a beautiful time - but it could get chilly.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Diana1971 don't you wont to go camino nerte with me from irun at 20 septemper 2018 - where are you from? I'm women 47 old and it will be my first camino. P

Generally speaking, the weather that time of year is relatively mild. That said, two years ago. I ran into rain and wind climbing what turned out to be a very slippery trail up to O'Cebreiro. I was lucky to find a room in a pension, there, so I was lucky. As I am sure you're doing, plan for all contingencies and you should be fine. I recommend taking a light windbreaker/rain jacket which will come in handy throughout your trek. Rain pants are not necessary. Happy trails.

Please don’t worry. Layers are the answer. Pack light. Rain gear and all the escentials. You can always through on your long sleeve shirt if it’s cool .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back