• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino in March/April 2016 - What is a manageable route in 14 days?

Alex Maclean

Alexmac
Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk the camino this year 2016.
Hi all

I just wanted some advice as this is my first Camino trip. I really would have liked to walk the whole 800k but unfortunately have only got approximately 14 days for the trip so was wondering if anyone had advice about where I could start so that I ended up in Santiago de Compostela after 14 days? I am a female in my 30's, reasonably fit and confident but have never walked continuously for days on end but feel I could push myself. Any thoughts about a manageable starting point?! Ant other advice for a first timer and for this time of year?

Many Thanks

Alex

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Either Ponferrada or Astorga would fit your time scale. And, sorry, but you haven't mentioned it, what time of the year are you thinking to walk? Buen Camino, SY

thank you so much for your response I shall look in to the places you have suggested. Im thinking to go around March/ April time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
March/April - Prepare for warm, but not hot plus some cold around O Cebreiro and rain in Galicia. Buen Camino, SY
PS Also prepare for some amazing spring flowers and green landscapes!

Leon is achievable if you think you can walk around 25km/day. However, if you don't know what you can achieve, then I agree with @SYates about Ponferrado or Astorga. These would need you to achieve around 20km/day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all

I just wanted some advice as this is my first Camino trip. I really would have liked to walk the whole 800k but unfortunately have only got approximately 14 days for the trip so was wondering if anyone had advice about where I could start so that I ended up in Santiago de Compostela after 14 days? I am a female in my 30's, reasonably fit and confident but have never walked continuously for days on end but feel I could push myself. Any thoughts about a manageable starting point?! Ant other advice for a first timer and for this time of year?

Many Thanks

Alex
You could always walk the Camino Portuguese as a 'taster' starting from Oporto.

You could always walk the Camino Portuguese as a 'taster' starting from Oporto.
Of course there are many options other than walking the Camino Frances, including the ends of many other routes and combining shorter routes. For example, one could combine the Camino Ingles and then walk to Muxia and Finisterre. But the CF has many advantages as one's first camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
14 days of walking for a fit and confident person in their 30's offers a load of possibilities. Now, fit and confident are relative... but... I think you could make it from Leon to SDC, on to Muxia AND Finnesterre in that amount of time.

Distance from Leon to SDC is around 313k (about 195 miles).
Distance from SDC to Muxia is about 72k (about 45 miles)
Distance from Muxia to Fin. is about 29K (about 18 miles)..

So the total is about 415k. Thats about 260 miles...

Now 415k/14 days = 30k / day... which is a relatively normal walking day for the fit, confident, and adventurous.

In reality, sometimes the stops you make don't fit the perfect average walking distance... but, ... a reasonably fit person can even finish that journey in 13 days given the available accommodations.

Now, this assumes you actually train, get out there beforehand and walk, or run, wearing backpack weight 1 or 2 months beforehand, and have equipment that is light enough to not hinder.

The Leon to Muxia to Fin route gives you a wonderful, spiritual, soul enriching experience in 14 or so days that later can progress into even deeper dives into time spent when vacation hours are more readily available.

But I totally agree with SY. Start out somewhere near Leon or Astorga and then see how far you can take it.

Damien

Last edited:
Hi all

Many Thanks

Alex

Alex:

You could walk the Primitivo. This route is an 11-14 day walk, imo.

The Frances from Leon, imo, could also be completed in 14 days.

I walk in March/April time frame and it is not crowded on the Frances with the exception of Easter week. The Primitivo would be a little tougher and have fewer Pilgrims but you would be walking an entire Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

@Damien Reynolds, I think that suggesting that in a couple of months someone can go from zero to 30km a day hero, and then sustain that for 14 days, is overly optimistic. Doing 3/4 of a marathon every day for 14 days is something to build up to, and even then would be a 'normal walking day' for relatively few people. You must be keeping some pretty exclusive company to think of that as normal, even in a community of Camino nutters.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@Damien Reynolds, I think that suggesting that in a couple of months someone can go from zero to 30km a day hero, and then sustain that for 14 days, is overly optimistic. Doing 3/4 of a marathon every day for 14 days is something to build up to, and even then would be a 'normal walking day' for relatively few people. You must be keeping some pretty exclusive company to think of that as normal, even in a community of Camino nutters.

She said she was reasonably fit and confident!

Last year I walked with a newbie, who kept up with me every km. along the way. She made fun of me too, wondering if such an "old guy" could keep up with her.

I also said I assume training...She sounds like a girl who does...

I realize that what I suggested is more on the extreme side of things, but entirely doable by someone who is into that kind of thing.

I realize that what I suggested is more on the extreme side of things, but entirely doable by someone who is into that kind of thing.
Damien, I take the view that I would rather err on the conservative side and see someone complete their pilgrimage, than to establish an unrealistic expectation of what might be achievable, particularly on the scant information that the OP has given us to work with.

Hi all
Alex

Hi Alex, assuming that you are walking the Frances, I agree with the suggestions about starting in Astorga (or Ponferrada if you have any doubts). It's a very manageable walking distance for most people and it probably leaves time for a couple of nights in Santiago, and/or to walk some or all of the way to Finisterre/Muxia.

You might also want to look at the logistics of getting to your possible start points. Have you figured that bit out yet?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Alex, I walked last March with my 78 year old father, from Leon to Santiago in 12 days, and will do it alone in March/April of 2016. You can easily accomplish this.

Buen Camino!

Alex:

You could walk the Primitivo. This route is an 11-14 day walk, imo.

The Frances from Leon, imo, could also be completed in 14 days.

I walk in March/April time frame and it is not crowded on the Frances with the exception of Easter week. The Primitivo would be a little tougher and have fewer Pilgrims but you would be walking an entire Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe
Hi Joe,
Have you done Primitivo in March?I am planning to set off in couple of weeks but still undecided as worried about the weather. I have conflicted thoughts but in principle I want to do it now. Have you done Primitivo in March? or any other winter-ish month? Thanks a lot!
Karolina

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Joe,
Have you done Primitivo in March?I am planning to set off in couple of weeks but still undecided as worried about the weather. I have conflicted thoughts but in principle I want to do it now. Have you done Primitivo in March? or any other winter-ish month? Thanks a lot!
Karolina

Karolina:

I walked the Pimitivo the second week in April 2013 after walking the Salvador. There was snow on the Salvador but none on the Primitivo. That said, it was a bit muddy in some areas.

While weather is unpredictable year to year, there is a good chance you could have some snow and will most likely have rain.

Each individual's tolerance for cold, rain is different. Hope this helps.

I will be leaving for this years Camino in 29 days.

Ultreya,
Joe

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Joe,

Thanks a lot for your response. It helps a lot knowing that there are people doing the Primitivo in March/April. Was worried that it is just a stupid idea of mine but if others do it I can too!! :) Many thanks and good luck on your forthcoming Camin0!....and I am going. Was just having silly doubts this evening!

Buen Camino,
Karolina

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back