• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino in the afternoon

KellB

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2015 Sarria - Santiago
May 2016 Sarria - Santiago
September 2018 Sarria - Santiago
Hello everyone, I will be walking the Camino for the third time this September. My sister is leaving the US tomorrow and starting her walk from Sarria to Portomarín on Saturday morning. I will be flying out Friday night and arriving to Santiago around 13:00 to surprise her in Portomarín. I am getting a taxi from Santiago to Sarria. Having walked the Camino twice, I kind of wanted to walk from Sarria to Portomarín, but I am not sure if it will be feasible. Based on the fact that from the airport to Sarria, it will take about 1:30h by taxi, I wouldn’t start walking till 15:00. We are staying in hotels along the way, so I don’t have to worry about finding a bed in one of the albergues. However, I would be arriving In Portomarin a little late. Has anyone have started walking this late? Should I just forget about the stage of the walk and just take the taxi to meet my sister in Portomarín instead?
Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Starting that late means you'll be walking in the dark for at least some of it. So make sure you have a headlight/flashlight and extra batteries just in case. The area you are walking in should be well marked, but stay alert. It's easy enough to take the wrong path in the daytime, and even more so at night, especially while trying to recover from the time change and a long flight.

Also, pack a meal or snacks so you don't have to stop to eat. And of course bring water and know where you can get more. I don't know what your fitness level is, but chances are you will be dead, dead, dead tired in the morning.

Hello everyone, I will be walking the Camino for the third time this September. My sister is leaving the US tomorrow and starting her walk from Sarria to Portomarín on Saturday morning. I will be flying out Friday night and arriving to Santiago around 13:00 to surprise her in Portomarín. I am getting a taxi from Santiago to Sarria. Having walked the Camino twice, I kind of wanted to walk from Sarria to Portomarín, but I am not sure if it will be feasible. Based on the fact that from the airport to Sarria, it will take about 1:30h by taxi, I wouldn’t start walking till 15:00. We are staying in hotels along the way, so I don’t have to worry about finding a bed in one of the albergues. However, I would be arriving In Portomarin a little late. Has anyone have started walking this late? Should I just forget about the stage of the walk and just take the taxi to meet my sister in Portomarín instead?
Thank you!

I walk in the evenings all the time. Yes it is doable, but you will be walking the last stage in the dark. I don't think it is too difficult. However, I would just cab it to Portomarin so you are nice and fresh next day. Up to you though!

Davey

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If your sister has a cell phone, you could phone or text her when you get to Sarría - then stay in the taxi and take it to wherever she is and walk with her?

(I don't know how you's make her keep it ON while she's walking, but you know her best.)

Unless you want to be in Sarria, have the taxi go to Ferreiros instead. It will be the same fare, and you will start just before the 100 km mark. It will save you 14 km compared to starting in Sarria, so you will not have a problem getting to Portomarin in three hours. It is virtually all road walking from Ferreiros.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The last few kilometers into Portomarin are more open roads. Personally, I wouldn't walk that late all alone. Most pilgrims will already have finished for the day by the time you start walking, so less chances of being near one on the way. Quite different compared to walking early morning at dark when there are other pilgrims who are starting at the same time.

Also, keep in mind that the next morning is a 25-km day if you follow the typical stage towards Palas de Rei. If you need to have dinner and wash clothes in Portomarin, you will be heading to bed quite late.

You will also need to pace yourself consistently and not have very long breaks so you can arrive before sunset. Would recommend as well to start at the 100km mark instead of Sarria.

Last edited:
As a separate note, if I recall correctly there are several ways into Portomarin at the very end of the walk. Many people take the direct route, a steep and narrow rocky descent, I think before one reaches the bridge. Since my knees were very fragile in 2016, I took the left hand route, longer but more gradual along the road. If you are arriving after dark, you may want to consider the latter. Others who have taken the steeper descent can say whether or not it is likely to be treacherous in the dark.

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider that rocky route late in the day or after dark.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I concur with @David Tallan and @FLEUR. I understand that there is an alternative way other than that steep narrow rocky descent, but I missed the signs. I found that part the worst of all the CF. It was raining hard, which made it more slippery and difficult. I would not want to do that after dark. Or anytime, really!

And my prep for the CF was in rocky, steep mountains.

So my suggestion would be to really find out ahead of time where the way marks for the alternative route are so that you could avoid this.

Thank you all for your very helpful input. You all have made very good points, and I will take it all into consideration. I can’t recall how long it took me to walk that route, but I believe both times I did it was under 5 hours stopping for lunch. I certainly do not want to walk by myself in the dark. It was already a little scary to be in the woods during day light when no one was around. My worst nightmare would be getting lost in the middle of the night. I am deeply considering skipping this part and just meeting my sister in Portomarin. I won’t be getting a Compostela, but I already have two. I just thought getting a Compostela would give me a better sense of accomplishment, but if I can’t get it I will be ok.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
Greetings all! So I'm a "proper planning prevents poor performance", kinda guy. I was able to make a loose schedule for my Camino Frances last year that worked extremely well, and allowed me to...
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back