• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking the camino "is it a virus"

tali1810

Time of past OR future Camino
camino frances 2012/2013
I started my Camino in 2012.
Do to an injury i couln't finish till october 2013.
When i arrived i told myself "glad to be finished but i am never going to do this again!!"
Now i read a blog from a friend who because of my blog (irony) decided to walk the Camino.
Jealousy is my companion now :) when i read his storys i remember mine.
The pain, tiredness, bunkbeds, smells, snoring,etc
So why jealousy?
I also remember the people i met, the laughter, drinking too much red wine (wine is the best medicine:))
but most of all the "not thinking"
On the Camino you don't have to think about work, bills, family', social plans etc.
You only have to get up and walk till you feel tired, find a bed, eat, sleep and the next moring everything but the scenery is the "same".
I miss it.
I've been infected by the Camino.
I want to go again.
Yes there is pain,smells,snoring,bunkbeds,bedbugs etc but there is so much fun, so many people to meet,so many memories to make.
So for everybody who reads this and is questioning "should i go"... YES YOU SHOULD!!
Do not have to many expectations and just let the Camino happen to you.
I hope i will have a great experience next time!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Until I read your post, and saw what you said about not thinking, the worrying about the drudgery that modern life is seemingly becoming, I did not realize it. Yet, you hit the nail on the head. For me, I just got tired of the professional work and its obligations. We, at least many in the States, have lost all sense of what is truly important in life. After the Camino, I just kept on going and never returned to that life. Now, that I have gone back to work, only overseas, it is on my terms, and I had to be begged to at least have a cell phone again. They know not to call me. I am planning my next Camino already, but first, there is that long walk down the Great Wall before I leave.

Wow! You hit the nail on the head. It is a virus and I am so glad that it infected me. I miss thinking about nothing. All of us needs to periodically get away to do the Camino as a reset, as it were. My mind was reset and allowed to clear out the bugs. I am so grateful that I found out about the Camino and that I followed my instincts to do it.

Trent Shupperd
Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walking definately clears the mind, long before I ever walked the Camino I would walk any time I needed to sort something out in my head or when anything was worrying me, mix that with the wonderful people you meet along the Way and the spirituality you feel and you have a cocktail that keeps bringing you back again and again. A beautiful addiction. :)

The best addiction I have ever had.

The only addiction I hope to never have cured.

[...]I am planning my next Camino already, but first, there is that long walk down the Great Wall before I leave.
It's probably not a bug but rather the fact that one takes the time to walk and becomes a human being again. No pressure of electronic gadgets, nor trying to beat the traffic jams or getting worried to arrive late at an appointment. Just to mention a few returns to "down to earth". The Camino(s) towards Santiago de Compostela offer many opportunities to cleanse body and soul in a fairly "organized" way. That's what makes them exceptional.
We in Costa Rica walk every day, very often through areas which are similar to the "Camino". We can do this during 365 days in the year because of our climate. But we do not have the "facilities" nor the purpose of pilgrimage which "the Camino" represents. As part of a group, which is tracing a walkable path from coast (Atlantic) to coast (Pacific) in Costa Rica for walk enthusiasts, we intend to promote small local businesses.
In the mean time, similar to Say Simba, we plan our next "Camino", which is a unique way of combining spiritual with physical purposes.
Ultreya!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I started my Camino in 2012.
Do to an injury i couln't finish till october 2013.
When i arrived i told myself "glad to be finished but i am never going to do this again!!"
Now i read a blog from a friend who because of my blog (irony) decided to walk the Camino.
Jealousy is my companion now :) when i read his storys i remember mine.
The pain, tiredness, bunkbeds, smells, snoring,etc
So why jealousy?
I also remember the people i met, the laughter, drinking too much red wine (wine is the best medicine:))
but most of all the "not thinking"
On the Camino you don't have to think about work, bills, family', social plans etc.
You only have to get up and walk till you feel tired, find a bed, eat, sleep and the next moring everything but the scenery is the "same".
I miss it.
I've been infected by the Camino.
I want to go again.
Yes there is pain,smells,snoring,bunkbeds,bedbugs etc but there is so much fun, so many people to meet,so many memories to make.
So for everybody who reads this and is questioning "should i go"... YES YOU SHOULD!!
Do not have to many expectations and just let the Camino happen to you.
I hope i will have a great experience next time!!

A virus, an addiction, a calling - whatever you might call it, walking "The Way" reveals what's important and what isn't.

Fraluci, if your group can identify and document a walking route across Costa Rica where hikers can find and support local infrastructure in the form of daily / nightly food and shelter I believe many here would be interested in learning more. I'd personally jump at the chance to explore on foot your country's diverse ecosystem. My only concerns because of my lack of knowledge, relate to local safety and getting lost in the jungle. I'm sure these can be addressed with some education.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Fraluci, if your group can identify and document a walking route across Costa Rica where hikers can find and support local infrastructure in the form of daily / nightly food and shelter I believe many here would be interested in learning more. I'd personally jump at the chance to explore on foot your country's diverse ecosystem.
We're addressing these issues with several work groups in sections of the potential trails.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back