• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino Portugues soon, any advice during Covid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moomoo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2018
Hi all - I was going to walk the Camino Frances with my daughter at the end of this month but am now thinking the Portuguese may be better and it has been highly recommended (I did the Frances a couple of years ago with my son). Any advice from fellow travellers during these Covid times... are the Albergues open, are people walking it now, what are their experiences etc? We will be travelling from the UK. Many thanks in advance :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The British government recently pulled the rug out from beneath the feet of British tourists and holiday makers in France giving them 72 hours to return home or face 2 weeks of quarantining. Don't let this happen to you in Portugal or Spain!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The British government recently pulled the rug out from beneath the feet of British tourists and holiday makers in France giving them 72 hours to return home or face 2 weeks of quarantining. Don't let this happen to you in Portugal or Spain!
It has already happened to Spain.On 26/7 the UK government moved Spain from the green list to the red list.

At 17:53 on 19th August 2020 Portugal is still on the "low risk" list but since UK policy changes faster than the weather . . . have you considered a pilgrimage in the UK?

British Pilgrimage Trust

Bom caminho Moomoo!

Where are you planning to start? Which route are you planning to take (coastal or central or other)?

This is a list of open albergues from Porto onwards (last updated Aug 17).

A few other forum members have walked the CP recently. @Lirsy reported that there were only a handful of pilgrims walking from Porto but more from Tui. @hummingbird started the coastal route a few days ago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My advice is to postpone your Camino plans until next year, at least.

Could we just give the OP the advice they asked for rather than trying to discourage them from going, that is their decision to make.

Moomoo, those are Ramblings of the Grounded Pilgrims Society (GPS) as you may call the members of this distinguished forum (including me) lately ☺ So the advice may not be particularly useful at this time 🐢

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all - I was going to walk the Camino Frances with my daughter at the end of this month but am now thinking the Portuguese may be better and it has been highly recommended (I did the Frances a couple of years ago with my son). Any advice from fellow travellers during these Covid times... are the Albergues open, are people walking it now, what are their experiences etc? We will be travelling from the UK. Many thanks in advance :)
There aren't nearly as many albergues on this route. If I were going to go during Covid-19, I would make all of my reservations in private hostels before leaving home.

Surprise, surprise...

Portugal added to UK's safe travel list

So now the UK pilgrims don't even have to quarantine if they fly from Porto to the UK.
You can fly to Porto, walk to Santiago, take a bus back to Porto and fly home without restrictions. Edited: Sorry I was wrong. Even if you fly from UK to Portugal and back, but you made a side trip to Spain, you will need to quarantine.

But, you can still make a round trip in Portugal (see Camino Ninja post #15 below) : walk from Porto to Spanish border in Valença following the Central Way, and return from there walking back to Porto via Caminha and Viana do Castelo following the Coastal Way.

Many possibilities, but whatever you choose, do it quickly. The doomsday clock is ticking ⏰🐢

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
the UK Prime Minister just opened the "no quarantine" back door to the UK for the British vacationers in Spain.
Nope. All the energy in thinking up and typing those plans was in vain 🤓. From the UK government's website:

How to self-isolate when you travel to the UK
[...] If you travel from an exempt country but have been in a country that is not exempt within the last 14 days, you will need to self-isolate for the remainder of the 14 days since you were last in a non-exempt country.

That is the advice if you return to England. The UK government continues to say that you should follow separate advice if you need to self-isolate in:
🥳

Last edited:
It's all good. Just did the Caminho Português da Costa (Senda Litoral) and Caminho Português Central. Both are good to walk. Only walked to the border due to Galician restrictions and restrictions on Spain.

Make sure you check for latest updates on open and closed albergues at Albergue de Peregrinos do Porto when you get to Porto.

Bom Caminho!
Andy

Surprise, surprise...

Portugal added to UK's safe travel list

So now the UK pilgrims don't even have to quarantine if they fly from Porto to the UK.
You can fly to Porto, walk to Santiago, take a bus back to Porto and fly home without restrictions.

Or, if you don't feel like walking in Spain, you can for example make a round trip: walk from Porto to Spanish border in Valença following the Central Way, and return from there walking back to Porto via Caminha and Viana do Castelo following the Coastal Way.

Many possibilities, but whatever you choose, do it quickly. The doomsday clock is ticking ⏰🐢
I question this as I recently checked with friends of mine who have residence in Spain. They tell me as Spain is not on safe list, by going to Porto first and then walking in Spain to Santiago and then going back to Porto means I would have to declare I had been in Spain when returning to UK with possible consequences. please double check for your own safety . Buen Camino.

Samarkand.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I live in the U.K. and am planning to walk in Portugal next month up to the Spanish border. Looking at the route and booking.com, it strikes me that there is a lot of accommodation available in hotels and apartments for very reasonable prices. Unless you are set on staying exclusively in albergues I would have thought you would be fine.

I’m looking forward to going. Portugal is highly dependent on tourism and the Portuguese government Is advertising heavily in the U.K. for visitors to return. I appreciate forum members’ concerns about the Covid 19 virus but Covid is not the only threat to a country and the well-being of its citizens. Recession, unemployment and poverty caused by these lockdowns are also threats to health.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I live in the U.K. and am planning to walk in Portugal next month up to the Spanish border. Looking at the route and booking.com, it strikes me that there is a lot of accommodation available in hotels and apartments for very reasonable prices. Unless you are set on staying exclusively in albergues I would have thought you would be fine.

I’m looking forward to going. Portugal is highly dependent on tourism and the Portuguese government Is advertising heavily in the U.K. for visitors to return. I appreciate forum members’ concerns about the Covid 19 virus but Covid is not the only threat to a country and the well-being of its citizens. Recession, unemployment and poverty caused by these lockdowns are also threats to health.
Couldn't agree with you more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back