Walking the Camino Primitivo end of Sept to mid Oct 2022

Noa_Ag

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles
Hi All, I am planning my second Camino (I did Ingles + Finisterre in 2017) and was planning to walk the Primitivo.
I would leave Oviedo Sept 26th/27th, and due to limited time off work, must arrive at Santiago no later than Oct. 10th.
I understand from some online research work that this is quite doable, but would not leave much extra time if I might find I need a rest day (I am 26 and in okay shape, but do not regularly hike).
In addition, I have started to worry about the weather on the Primitivo at this time of year and the potential solitude. I plan on walking alone, but this of course does not mean that I wish to experience complete solitude for the whole trail.
Can anyone share from their experience with this time frame or any thoughts regarding these concerns?
Alternatively, I have started to consider doing the Portuguese from Porto instead (and perhaps even add the walk to finisterre if I find it comfortable enough), but I may have fallen a little bit in live with the idea of the challenge of the Primitivo so am worried it might be too easy? And I am not sure these same times on the Portuguese are not just as Isolated..

I will highly appreciate any insights, thanks and Buen Camino!

P.s. Should I end up walking the Primitivo, my arrival to Lugo would coincide with the Fiestas de san Froilan. Is this something to consider? (as either a treat or a disadvantage?)

Noa A

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Primitivo in 2017 at approximately the same time as you are planning. First, there will be many peregrinos, so you do not need to worry about solitude. Second, the weather was good with some rain in 2017. Once the sun rose, it was comfortable enough to remove the second layer and walk in a T-shirt and shorts. Third, you are 26 and in average physical fitness, your plan to do the Primitivo in 13 days is absolutely doable. I did it in 14 days with one rest day in Lugo and I was 64 yo at the time. Finally, I recommend the albergue in Grado for your first stage from Oviedo, it is a donativo so not free but it is a great place. Go for it and Buen Camino.

A beautiful walk. You have enough time. You will likely have plenty of company. In 2018 I saw no rain but lots of morning fog, which caused a lot of water dripping off trees in the morning. So bring rain gear. In the beginning there is A LOT of up and down, up and down walking, so trim your toenails way short because you will be stubbing them into the front of your footwear. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked the Primitivo last year at about the same time and other than I few showers it was quite pleasant. I’m 66 and in decent shape and although harder some days than others It should be very doable for you. I will give you one “must stay” place along the way if you can make it. On the second day the stage ends at Salas but because I got there at 2 pm I decided to walk another 7 km to Bodenaya and stay there. Call ahead as David only has beds for a few. David exemplifies the spirit of the Camino and is an amazing host.

Buen Camino

I walked the Primitivo last year at about the same time and other than I few showers it was quite pleasant. I’m 66 and in decent shape and although harder some days than others It should be very doable for you. I will give you one “must stay” place along the way if you can make it. On the second day the stage ends at Salas but because I got there at 2 pm I decided to walk another 7 km to Bodenaya and stay there. Call ahead as David only has beds for a few. David exemplifies the spirit of the Camino and is an amazing host.

Buen Camino
And he will be closing/selling the albergue by the end of the season!

I haven't walked it yet (Sep of 23 for me), but if you're arriving during a festival, I'd suggest booking accommodations in Lugo as soon as you can guesstimate when you might arrive.
I'm told that poles are good, if you know how to use them.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
A beautiful walk. You have enough time. You will likely have plenty of company. In 2018 I saw no rain but lots of morning fog, which caused a lot of water dripping off trees in the morning. So bring rain gear. In the beginning there is A LOT of up and down, up and down walking, so trim your toenails way short because you will be stubbing them into the front of your footwear. Buen Camino
Great advice on toenails - I have lost a few on my previous Caminos!!

I will be starting the Camino del Norte in Sept and am comtemplating to transfer to the Primitivo when I get that far. So looking forward to the adventure.

I walked the Primitivo in 2017 at approximately the same time as you are planning. First, there will be many peregrinos, so you do not need to worry about solitude. Second, the weather was good with some rain in 2017. Once the sun rose, it was comfortable enough to remove the second layer and walk in a T-shirt and shorts. Third, you are 26 and in average physical fitness, your plan to do the Primitivo in 13 days is absolutely doable. I did it in 14 days with one rest day in Lugo and I was 64 yo at the time. Finally, I recommend the albergue in Grado for your first stage from Oviedo, it is a donativo so not free but it is a great place. Go for it and Buen Camino.
Thank you so much for the comment, it was very helpful and I eventually decided to go for the Primitivo!
Just officially booked my accommodation in Oviedo

Back