• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Walking the Camino this summer? The risks of getting COVID

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Piparoo

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo June 2020
Let’s face it, if you are planning to walk the Camino this summer, odds are that you’re going to get infected. The newer omicron subvariants currently circulating in Spain, France and Portugal are really good at infecting fully vaccinated and/or recovered pilgrims.

I offer this as a fellow pilgrim who, despite all of us being fully vaccinated, boosted, and extremely conscientious about mask wearing, social distancing and hand washing, ended up with an entire travel party testing positive.

Being ill away from hone, in another country can be extremely scary - it was for us. If you walk this summer I really hope that you prove me wrong in my prediction. I would strongly advise a solid COVID plan, travel insurance and LOTS of extra money in case you find yourself in a similar situation.

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
"You will probably get Covid"...or not.

Many of us have been infected with the Omicron variant (in my case luckily with minor symptoms) in spite of being vaccinated and boostered so it actually comes down to the luck of the straw.

I walked last June and September staying in albergue dorms and plan to do the same this June. One never knows what tomorrow will bring!

Let’s face it, if you are planning to walk the Camino this summer, odds are that you’re going to get infected. The newer omicron subvariants currently circulating in Spain, France and Portugal are really good at infecting fully vaccinated and/or recovered pilgrims.

I offer this as a fellow pilgrim who, despite all of us being fully vaccinated, boosted, and extremely conscientious about mask wearing, social distancing and hand washing, ended up with an entire travel party testing positive.

Being ill away from hone, in another country can be extremely scary - it was for us. If you walk this summer I really hope that you prove me wrong in my prediction. I would strongly advise a solid COVID plan, travel insurance and LOTS of extra money in case you find yourself in a similar situation.

Buen Camino
My Camino plan is for 2023, but with all the news on the forum, I've now put together a plan should I or my husband (or both) catch Covid.
The forum has been a good source of information for what we may likely encounter, good on-the-ground information, Im grateful for people posting about their experiences.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
"You will probably get Covid"...or not.

Many of us have been infected with the Omicron variant (in my case luckily with minor symptoms) in spite of being vaccinated and boostered so it actually comes down to the luck of the straw.

I walked last June and September staying in albergue dorms and plan to do the same this June. One never knows what tomorrow will bring!
Omicron variants BA.4 & BA.5 (the newer variants alluded to in my original post) are not only adept at infecting fully vaccinated individuals but also at reinfecting recovered individuals. I wouldn’t rely on your previous infection protecting you from reinfection. Buen Camino.

While I get your message of having a "covid plan" I think the title thread "you will probably get covid when walking the camino this summer" is a bit misleading.

In order to make an assessment you need at least:
- information about the percentage of pilgrims currently getting covid on the camino
- a crystal ball.

I am not aware you have any of these two. And even then, self-proclaimed virologists are not the most reliable source of information for future projections on the development of the pandemic. So perhaps it is an idea to change the title of the thread...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is still good idea to think about what you will do. For example, check your travel insurance coverage. We have discussed whether one of us continues to walk or whether we stick together, etc.
I totally agree, this is common sense - and applies to any travel abroad in current times.

However, telling people they will probably get covid is not common sense, it is irresponsible

My hope is to catch covid in the next week so I am recovered in enough time to start an early July Camino. Figure it will be pretty hard to avoid in all the dorm settings. I'd rather get it over with in a fairly controlled setting.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Buen Camino
This is unfounded scaremongering and should be deleted.

Hello - just to provide some information on my experience - I started the Camino Frances solo starting in SJPP on May 14th. I met and walked with several people and stayed in dorms in private albergues. I am fully vaccinated having received 4 vaccine shots - 2 initial shots and 2 booster shots the last of which was two weeks prior to starting the Camino. I considered myself to be very well protected.

On May 24th I took a rapid test since I was experiencing some mild symptoms - I tested positive. I was told there are no particular Covid measures in Spain - it's now treated like a case of the flu. However, from that point on, I wore a mask in all public settings, stayed well away from other pilgrims, taking meals alone outdoors and staying in private rooms in private albergues. I advised those persons I had met and had walked with that I was positive - no one else tested positive.

It's easy on the Camino to forget Covid - the nature of walking outdoors and meeting people from around the world and sharing a similar desire to walk the Camino is very special and you so easily forget basic protective measures regarding Covid.

No one can say whether or not you will get Covid - but remembering to practice Covid safety measures is a good way to protect yourself and others from Covid.

I wish everyone a safe and Buen Camino !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm minded to edit the title of this thread. Even in meteorological terms, let alone infection control, there is a wide distinction between 'probably" and "possibly".

Members might like to refer to the rather hard-headed report of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control here https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-...e-sars-cov-2-omicron-sub-lineages-ba4-and-ba5

'Probably' is an accepted statistical term, and the probability of catching COVID this summer is high.

A similar prediction has been made for the Netherlands where I live: this summer most people will catch COVID at one time or another (and vulnerable people are supposed to fend for themselves, but that is a different discussion.)

I can fully understand that people doný like the idea of catching COVID, but the virus does not care about one's preferences. Regret to inform but there you have it.

If you want to walk a busy camino, meet a lot of people, eat together indoors and sleep in albergues, better be aware that you expose yourself to an invisible virus and plan your trip accordingly, with a higher budget, more time off and flexible travel arrangements.

A similar prediction has been made for the Netherlands where I live: this summer most people will catch COVID at one time or another

Source ? As far as I know, no government or offcial institution (like the RIVM) has predicted that most (as in more than 50 %) people will catch covid this summer in the Netherlands. Nor have I heard any Dutch virologists making this prediction in the media. But maybe I have missed something ?

(Just to be clear, I know there are all kinds of scenario's for the future development of covid and I totally agree it is wise to have a "covid plan" when travelling, but I prefer to stick to facts)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nope. Just walked the Camino and I am not vaccinated and haven’t ever had Covid. I haven’t even had the sniffles since I retired from teaching four years ago. We have traveled to several countries and with friends who are vaccinated and boosted. The continually get Covid and have to stay longer until they get the fit to fly letter.

1300 pilgrims a day currently arriving in Santiago. Not heard of any Covid cases at all and I just walked for 28 days. Of course someone will be unlucky but that would also happen if you visit the supermarket at home. And albergues are very low risk after the first few days.

Buen Camino
Great advice thank you. It helps me reflect as to advantages of walking alone and to be extra careful with close encounters of the Covid kind.

I have accepted the warning of the original poster. I have been having some challenges in getting signed up for travel health insurance and am resolved to finish the process in the near future, today if possible. I am walking the Podiensis this fall, where the lack of private accommodation at frequent intervals means that I must generally stay in communal gites. To me, it only makes sense to evaluate risks as best I can and to take such provisions for my health as are available. I feel much more vulnerable this year than I did walking the Levante alone last year.

Well, most people will probably get it this summer, no matter if they are on the Camino or not. These new variants are all so infectious, that it is hard to avoid it. But luckily in almost all cases, those vaccinated and those who have been infected before will see a rather mild infection ... if realising it at all. Most will not even feel the need to get tested.
So I personally feel very relaxed about it. Here in Sweden we had several waves of Covid going through, and while the first variants caused real trouble and heavy pressure on the whole health care system, the more recent ones do not cause serious trouble at all.

Even for this board this is a new low! Scaremongering of the highest order. It’s mild. We have a vaccine. This is not 2020! Probably 99% of people don’t even know they have it! Probably just as much chance of breaking a bone. How many people have got seriously ill from covid on the Camino. If you are fit enough to walk a Camino you are most likely for enough to withstand a mild virus. Please stop scaring people! It’s costing people time, money and their sanity!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My hope is to catch covid in the next week so I am recovered in enough time to start an early July Camino. Figure it will be pretty hard to avoid in all the dorm settings. I'd rather get it over with in a fairly controlled setting.
Not a road I would follow (but I get the logic) but have read about lots of people doing likewise to avoid getting covid during key moments such as birthdays, Xmas and holidays.

Nope. Just walked the Camino and I am not vaccinated and haven’t ever had Covid. I haven’t even had the sniffles since I retired from teaching four years ago. We have traveled to several countries and with friends who are vaccinated and boosted. The continually get Covid and have to stay longer until they get the fit to fly letter.
Absolutely deranged.

In Spain we have COVID, it is not gone at all... and without masks it spreads easier if we do not take precautions. The experience of the OP is good to know about, but it is not really anything to discuss... we just need to be careful. Most people will be fine, some might get infected.

Will lock the thread...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.