• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the camino with a residue of thrombosis?

Shinobi42

Time of past OR future Camino
from Irun to Nueva
from Nueva to Muxia
Hello everyone,

last August I was diagnosed with a deep vein thrombosis and I had to stop hiking for some time. During the last ultrasonography I asked my doctor whether it would be possible to walk the camino next October and he agreed, but I would have to use my compression stocking (only one leg is affected) and I have to take my blood thinner pills with me. There is still some debris in my veins that can inflict a pulmonary embolism.

So I would like to ask if there is some experience with this situation around here. I made some first hikings without any problems and I feel well enough to go. But I would like to make some precautionary measures for the case, that an embolism or a severe accident occurs during my walk. I would like to wear some explanatory document somewhere clearly visible so that a first aid medic would find it instantly in case of an emergency. Is there some kind of document template available in spanish that explains the usage of blood thinners and the possibility of embolisms?

Thanks a lot in advance
Markus

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
NOTE: I am NOT a doctor.
You can go on-line and order a medical alert wrist bracelet stating your thinner. My wife has DVT (even airlifted out of Botswana in 2014 with a leg clot) There is Vit K for Cumiden and the other 2 now have a Rx to stop internal bleeding. Could take with you in case a small village does not have? Have you been tested for Factor 5 ?? It's a mutated genetic that elevates blood coagulation/clotting. My wife inherited gene from BOTH her parents. Much of those bad genes can be lessened with the appropiate B vitamins. Takes a blood study to find out. Since 2014 she is on thinners and she's walked 3X's in Spain and 1X in France for a couple of weeks each time. Use Compression socks on BOTH legs, especially with flights.
Good Luck!

Med Alert for wrist or neck. Personal INFO on reverse, phone #'s, etc.

Attachments

• D6B6FA61-D6BA-4A74-9E8B-D336F6E961C4.jpeg
    D6B6FA61-D6BA-4A74-9E8B-D336F6E961C4.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 306FB130-9AAB-443A-87A3-6A0CBB5E1C1F_4_5005_c.jpeg
    306FB130-9AAB-443A-87A3-6A0CBB5E1C1F_4_5005_c.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 7
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everyone,

last August I was diagnosed with a deep vein thrombosis and I had to stop hiking for some time. During the last ultrasonography I asked my doctor whether it would be possible to walk the camino next October and he agreed, but I would have to use my compression stocking (only one leg is affected) and I have to take my blood thinner pills with me. There is still some debris in my veins that can inflict a pulmonary embolism.

So I would like to ask if there is some experience with this situation around here. I made some first hikings without any problems and I feel well enough to go. But I would like to make some precautionary measures for the case, that an embolism or a severe accident occurs during my walk. I would like to wear some explanatory document somewhere clearly visible so that a first aid medic would find it instantly in case of an emergency. Is there some kind of document template available in spanish that explains the usage of blood thinners and the possibility of embolisms?

Thanks a lot in advance
Markus
So glad to see you are undertaking this trip. I can offer a personal anecdote - my uncle is on oral Warfarin after having been diagnosed (15 years ago) with a DVT that almost became a PE. He too was (and still is) an outdoorsman. You are able to hike while on medication but, as your MD said, walking with compression socks and maintaining your levels is a must. He is still an avid hiker and just avoids injury and keeps an eye on his levels. He has done the AT and did just fine.

Some things to think about:

- Do you require monthly labs? If so, what is your plan.
- Consider packing QuickClot as part of your kit
- Learn to say "Tomo 'the name of medicine"; ie tomo warfarin, or tomo clopidegrol. It means, I take 'x medicine'.
- Consider buying a medical ID bracelet; anticoagulant is a cognate in many languages.
- Consider bringing a 'medical folder' - nothing too heavy, obviously, with your medication list, and a brief PMH, with something like this inside ; honestly, a pamphlet of information sheet is unnecessary as any medical professional knows what a DVT is, and the laymen is unlikely to be able to intervene in a meaningful way. However, I do recommend knowing the words: anticoagulante, "tengo antecedentes de TVP" (i have a PMH of TVP), and anything else relevant specifically to your medical history (allergies, etc.,)
- Consider getting this for your pack; on the back, in white sharpie or on a piece of tape, write "anticoagulante".

I would say, one concern is injury. You must be very careful not to experience undue injury or falls. I would try to figure out your plan if you incur one as that is a risk factor whilst on an anticoagulant.

Anyway, I am an emergency and wilderness RN; if you have questions, feel free to DM me, but always check in with your MD for the important stuff :)

Buen Camino!

Hello everyone,

Thanks a lot in advance
Markus
I too am walking with history of deep vein thrombosis. I’m bring my blood thinners, drinking plenty of water , and wearing a medical identification bracelet that gives a brief explanation of my condition and the medication that I’m on. This will be our first Camino.

Thanks a lot for the support, I just ordered a customized dog tag for me in form of a necklace. I will prepare a red water tight first aid kit for the side pocket of my backpack including some extra QuickClot and tape that I just bought at the pharmacy. I will construct an additional tag for my backpack with my 3d printer, I got some UV resistant PETG filament here in red and white that might be useful.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This is a bit long but I have a long history of walking Caminos with idiopathic DVT's, so I'll give you my experience.

I in fact walked my first Camino in 2010 from SJPdP-Finistere with an undiagnosed DVT (my GP couldn't believe that such an active healthy person could get one). I'm a physiotherapist and know the signs of a DVT but because my calf was not red or warm, only swollen and painful my GP dismissed it. So I took a plane and walked 800 km. Due to long stages my symptoms disappeared. When I returned home they came back and I insisted on getting a Doppler scan. As I thought, it was positive. Here in The Netherlands the protocol is to take blood thinners for three months and wear compression socks. End of story till several years and Caminos later I got another DVT but now in the other leg. As it was a second time (I had since changed GP) every test in the book was done to see if I had a blood-clotting condition, cancer, etc. All negative, you're just unlucky said the internist. I now had to be 1 year on blood thinners.

Story continues as more Caminos and years later I had for a third time a DVT (calf and mid thigh!). All the echos, x-rays and blood tests were repeated and came out negative. I was then placed on blood thinners for the rest of my life.

The following Caminos were a bit more complicated as my INR levels would fluctuate up and down greatly - especially TOO high when walking which is a risk for bleeding. I went to a Centro de Salud about once a week to check my levels and then call home to get advice about dosage. This was never a problem but I speak Spanish which was helpful.

In The Netherlands we have the possibility to take a course to learn to self test and after a year self medicate in consultation with a specialized nurse. I did this and even hiked in Peru up to 5000 meters.

I have now switched to a new generation of blood thinners which do not require INR regulation. What a relief! One pill per day and that's it!

Sorry for the long post but it shows that yes, it's definitely possible to walk Caminos and have a history of DVT's!

Ultreia!

Hello everyone,

Thanks a lot in advance
Markus
This same thing just happened to me 5 weeks ago (PE found to contain multiple clots in both legs) so it's only new and I too am wondering if I will ever be able to travel (from Australia) and do more caminos. I still am waiting for the investigation (which they say is at 3mths) to find out what caused it all as I had multiple clots and they say I have had them for a while until the horrible night of chest pain in early Feb. Have you been told you have to wear DVT socks or is that precautionary? I wonder because my feet get so hot during the day/hike - what about if they were worn after your shower and at night, would that also work?

Last edited:
Have you been told you have to wear DVT socks or is that precautionary? I wonder because my feet get so hot during the day/hike - what about if they were worn after your shower and at night, would that also work?

My doc told my that my DVT was already there some time before it was detected. I got a tick bite and was thinking that this caused my pain in my leg. It took some time until it was clear that a DVT existed and got a false treatment by the first doc that I consulted.

I have to wear a compression stocking on my left leg, because the DVT starts above the knee. My right leg is not affected. It seems that it was caused by a stupid way of sitting during my home office work. The stocking is part of my therapy. It is not recommended to wear them at night. There is an easy rule for DVT: SS is bad! (Standing and sitting). Lying and walking is good.

For the hot legs and feet I got the advice to make the stocking wet to have a cooling effect. Maybe I will give it a try when it is still a hot day in Spain in October.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.