• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the camino with a walker?

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
My wife has a back problem. She can walk/work around the house and garden without a walker. However, for "longer" distances (1 km and over), she uses a wheeled walker. My wife would like to walk the camino with me, maybe some short distance. We are looking into a walker that can be converted to a sort of a wheeled chair (not wheelchair). When my wife gets tired, say after 1-2 km, she can sit down and I can push the walker/wheeled chair. Once rested, she then resumes walking. We have not been able to find such a walker/wheelchair. Is there anything like this on the market? There are only wheeled walkers or wheelchairs. Has anyone with my wife's condition been able to walk the camino (or maybe some parts)? I've seen some threads on this forum about wheelchairs, but I have not seen any on wheeled walkers. Thanks in advance for any information that you might have. Buen camino. -Hieu

A selection of Camino Jewellery
[...] Has anyone with my wife's condition been able to walk the camino (or maybe some parts)? I've seen some threads on this forum about wheelchairs, but I have not seen any on wheeled walkers.[...]
The kind of wheeled walker does exist, as I have accompanied a person (from Ireland) with such a walker in a group during May last year. We were the "caracoles" (slugs) on the "slow Camino" from Sarria to Santiago (just over 100 km) . I don't know when or where she purchased this wheeled walker, which allowed her to walk and rest at intervals, and which could be folded so as to fit snugly in small spaces.
The walk from Sarria to Santiago along the "official" Camino has some challenges for both wheeled walkers and wheelchair travelers. There are Spanish organizers, often social institutions, who arrange for disabled people to reach and obtain a Compostela. I would not recommend to try and do this on one's own without fully knowing the paths, alternatives, contacts, and other logistical implications. Let alone the language!DSC03743.JPG

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My wife has a back problem. She can walk/work around the house and garden without a walker. However, for "longer" distances (1 km and over), she uses a wheeled walker. My wife would like to walk the camino with me, maybe some short distance. We are looking into a walker that can be converted to a sort of a wheeled chair (not wheelchair). When my wife gets tired, say after 1-2 km, she can sit down and I can push the walker/wheeled chair. Once rested, she then resumes walking. We have not been able to find such a walker/wheelchair. Is there anything like this on the market? There are only wheeled walkers or wheelchairs. Has anyone with my wife's condition been able to walk the camino (or maybe some parts)? I've seen some threads on this forum about wheelchairs, but I have not seen any on wheeled walkers. Thanks in advance for any information that you might have. Buen camino. -Hieu

I hope you find the wheeler that you're looking for. I admire you both for undertaking this journey with all of these challenges. Finding the right equipment is all part of the camino experience; it shows your determination and will to do something valuable despite the odds. I wish you both all the best and hope to hear how it all went, including how you located the walker you are looking for now. Buen camino! Your journey has already begun.

I just tried a Google search for "3-wheel Walkers." Here is the link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wal...es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8#q=3-wheel+walkers&tbm=shop

You need to copy and paste the entire thing into your address bar, then search. I suggest you need to look for features such as: a folding frame so you can bring it on a plane, pneumatic tires, hand brakes, locking brakes to lock the wheels, a seat, and some storage or a cross bar to mount a "saddle bag" in place of a backpack. You can obtain bottle holders from any bicycle shop to mount with machine screws to the frame.

Last year, I saw a fellow pushing his wife in a conventional, albeit athletic-grade wheelchair with inflatable tires. I was told later that they were from Germany. He was her caregiver. She would not let him go on Camino and leave her for the time needed. Also, this was apparently the man's life's desire. So, in the end, he bundled her up and brought her for the ride. I suppose it was a win-win. It was slow going, but he was giving it his all.

Clearly, it can be done. People with "extra challenges" to overcome are to be admired. However, you need to research it carefully, decide which segments you can attempt, and have a Plan B in case things do not work out as you anticipated.

People do ride buses or taxis to "leap-frog" over sections that they are not able to handle for whatever reason. I had serious foot problems last year and had to leap-frog several times.

The only time this is even an issue, in terms of qualifying for the Latin Compostela document at the Cathedral in Santiago, is the last 110 Km or so, from Sarria to Santiago. That is where you need to actually do the walk, ride, push, whatever.

There are baggage / backpack (mochila) transport services that will transport your bags from one night's stop to another. Medical services are usually available almost everywhere. Pharmacies are very helpful.

I hope this helps. Go for it!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you lynnejohn for the link to the equipment that we have in mind. We followed up on the link and found that, so far, it's the closest to what we need. It's a wheeled walker that can be transformed into a "transport chair" that one can sit in and another person can push. For those interested, here's a video from the Medline company on how their "Translator" works: https://www.medline.com/pages/durable-medical-equipment/translator-video

Thank you all for your kind encouragement, advice and information. We will definitely do more research, training, and have several plan B's to see if it's feasible before undertaking the camino together. If we do make a go at it, we will not attempt the whole CF, maybe the last 100-150 km or any "good" section. The Compostela would be nice, but we just want to experience and enjoy the journey, wherever that might be.

Once again, I am grateful for this forum. You have been helpful and supportive regarding my current and past inquiries. I myself have walked the CF in 2012 and will be leaving for Sevilla this May 1 to start the VdLP. I had prepared for both caminos with the help of this forum. Your generosity is much appreciated.

Buen camino.

-Hieu

The walker that Adrian is referring to is called a Veloped. It has two front wheels, one set a little higher than the other, in order to get it over kerbs or uneven ground. They have a trekking version which would be best. It comes with a little daypack and a storage basket in the front. (PS: Ann will shoot Adrian if she finds photos of herself on this forum!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you lynnejohn for the link to the equipment that we have in mind. We followed up on the link and found that, so far, it's the closest to what we need. It's a wheeled walker that can be transformed into a "transport chair" that one can sit in and another person can push. For those interested, here's a video from the Medline company on how their "Translator" works: https://www.medline.com/pages/durable-medical-equipment/translator-video

Thank you all for your kind encouragement, advice and information. We will definitely do more research, training, and have several plan B's to see if it's feasible before undertaking the camino together. If we do make a go at it, we will not attempt the whole CF, maybe the last 100-150 km or any "good" section. The Compostela would be nice, but we just want to experience and enjoy the journey, wherever that might be.

Once again, I am grateful for this forum. You have been helpful and supportive regarding my current and past inquiries. I myself have walked the CF in 2012 and will be leaving for Sevilla this May 1 to start the VdLP. I had prepared for both caminos with the help of this forum. Your generosity is much appreciated.

Buen camino.

-Hieu

The Chair in the link is amazing...for developed and paved areas. On the Camino, there are some stretches of "road walking," where there are paved surfaces. However, you will find that most of the way is cinder and gravel underfoot, with tree roots, stones, as well as angled surfaces. Also, in towns and cities, you need to be prepared for irregular surfaces, from cinder paths in parks to cobblestone pavement.

In my experience traveling across most of Europe for nearly 30 years, I would say it is definitely NOT handicap-friendly. You will generally NOT find curb cuts, ramps, or elevators, even in public spaces.

That is why I recommended inflatable tires. Also, I have concerns about the frame of the chair you like. It may not hold up under the stress of being on the road. Larger diameter tubing may be necessary.

Have you considered searching for special use wheelchairs or walkers? I am thinking of beach or woodland use. Try using Google to search "hiking walker frame." See what comes back.

I hope this helps.

T2andreo has many valid points. I hope you manage to do it. Just for the fun of it, in 10-20 years time I will order this one. Petrol capacity for 30+ kms, so a few young ones will be left hopelessly behind. Notice the integrated walking stick and toilet map ;) :

WalkingWheels.jpg

Last edited:
Hieu, you and your wifes determination to walk the Camino is an inspiration to all, I hope you succeed. The link below is what Sill is speaking about.
Buen Camino.
http://www.trionic.biz/Veloped-Trek...age=en&ref=1&gclid=CIPSvL6n1b0CFYJ92wod83AAHQ

http://trionic.us/Veloped-Trek
The Veloped Trek looks great. It's sturdy and built for "rough" terrain (like the camino). The Medline Translator can be transformed into a transport chair, but less sturdy (used around town). We need to find an "offspring" of these two things, to have the best of both worlds : )

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
T2andreo has many valid points. I hope you manage to do it. Just for the fun of it, in 10-20 years time I will order this one. Petrol capacity for 30+ kms, so a few young ones will be left hopelessly behind. Notice the integrated walking stick and toilet map ;) :

View attachment 9153

I especially liked the kerb / curb feelers on both front wheels...:eek: It is indeed something to look forward to with anticipation.

The Veloped Trek looks great. It's sturdy and built for "rough" terrain (like the camino). The Medline Translator can be transformed into a transport chair, but less sturdy (used around town). We need to find an "offspring" of these two things, to have the best of both worlds : )

I concur. THAT is more like what I had in my mind's eye. If you go this route, consider options that might come in handy. Things like spare tubes, air pump, LED lights, gear holder, etc.

You might also post here to find out what others have used, or if someone might not want to buy the used device from you afterwards. If the buyer is in Europe, shipping costs would me mitigated.

Just thinkin...

I especially liked the kerb / curb feelers on both front wheels...:eek:
Ahh, I forgot: It is the integrated/builtin APRTDS (Automatic Pavement, Rock and Tree Detection System)...

It can also be fitted with an ABS System (Automatic Beer Sniffing) for a nominal extra cost. Will then take control and drive to the nearest cafe.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back