• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking the camino with children

samba

Time of past OR future Camino
Francesca(2007),de la Plata /Sanabres ( May 2015),Mozarabe ( 2016) Norte (2018)
La Lana((2019)
i have walked st jean to Santiago ,and also,this year ,a very hot VDP.
My husband and i would like to walk part of the camino de santiago with daughter and 2 grandchildren in early June this year .Reasons include wanting to have a shared family experience /adventure that may lighten our relating to each other,providing a common goal and getting out of our mutual comfort zones ,Why the camino and not just some other walk ? Well my memories of the camino are of places that are beautiful ,sometimes stark or hard terrain ,but always fascinating ,with interesting people and stories ,and i love the Spanish culture .
So advice please -we have about 4 weeks-and at the moment are considering starting at st jean and doing about 10-15 k away to start off with ,depending on accommodation of course .Jimmy is 9and will be fine ,but Matilda is 2 and half so we are thinking of a terrain buggy (any ideas re make etc ?) i realise that the first part over the pyrenees will be hard pushing ,but 3 adults .
The other possibility is to pick a part and simply do that ,though i would like us to walk into Santiago .i am not as precious as i was last time re walking each step ,even that awful part near Burgos ,and option is to take a bus every now and then .
Please anyone out there who has walked with young children ,tell me what you think .Thanks and blessings

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Taking a 2 and half years old to the Camino is tough, I am not a doctor but consider the sun heat and sun stroke as great risk. You'll have to "drag" her with you and I am sure she'll be bored. imagine her as a baby with all those hikers in the albergue at night. i don't think it'll be an experience for her to remember. She'll slow you down for sure.
As for the 9 years old it might be hard.
I suggest you walk from Leon to Santiago, more pleasant, more towns, more medical facilities.
Consider baggage transfer to lighten your weight.
Why don't the two of you do the camino again with her when she's 9?

Samba, I remember a forum thread a couple of years ago with some lovely photos of a couple who walked with a toddler. I can't find it now, but maybe someone else can track it down...
Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have a chapter in my book on walking with children and toddlers.
This is quote from a father and Camino guide publisher who walked with his toddlers:

‘It is easier than people think with a 15-month-old and everyone gave us a warm welcome. We did stay mainly in hotels with some albergues where they tended to put us up in the rooms reserved for sick pilgrims. It can’t have been too bad as we are planning on going again next year; this time with our children who will be seven and five years old. I think it will be more of a challenge as they will have to get there under their own steam. My advice is always the same to people thinking about taking kids on the Camino, just do it and see what happens, you can always stop and come back another time.’
Ben – publisher of Pili Pala Press

Some do. They had a grandfather with them, too, although he was about 50 years old.

Attachments

• P9050328a.JPG
    P9050328a.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 1,882
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We did the Camino Portuges a few years ago with our then 14 month old and it was one of the most rewarding experiences of our lives. So much so, in fact, that we are thinking of going again this fall with the two kids, who will be 3 and 12 months by then.

There was one thread- I think it was the thread mentioned above- that was extremely helpful to us while we were planning, and where I promised to detail our trip upon completion (which, to my embarrassment I have still not gotten around to a year and a half later!) but when I click on the link it is GONE- and all that remains is an error message. Mods, any idea what is happening? I would love to see this thread again and promise to share our experience so that more people can benefit...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very encouraging. We are planning on doing a short strech with our 9 and 11 year old. We are very active and hike with the boys quite a bit at home. Still being our first time, we are a little nervous. This information helps. Don't think it will be a problem. VEry exited to do this with the family. Buen Camino.

God willing I will be doing it with atleast three of my six kiddos...starting to look like it will be four of my six. The youngest (walking) will be ten when we leave. I do realize that is apples to oranges of what you are planning. I wanted to say I left St Jean with a mom walking with her young teen and a baby!!! she did have a pushcart and she seemed as confident as any of us. I ran into another mother with a pushcart but was not certain of her story, it was two stages before Burgos.
We were at an auberge together and everyone gravitated to her little one! Welcomed him with open arms, it was a treat to be in their company!
Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You should read the Blog of the kiwi family: 1.000km walk for water.
They arrived at Finisterra yesterday after having walked more than 1.000 Kms. The mother Rachel walked with her 4 youngest children, two girls and two boys ranging from 8 to 14. There are various comments on her Blog on this Forum. It's amazing what they have achieved. Anne

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.