• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino with fibromyalgia

dasha

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (June 2016)
Greetings to all!

I am a 44 years old female walking the Camino in July. I am (un)fortunate enough to be accompanied with this unwelcomed guest called fibromyalgia, a medical condition characterised by chronic widespread pain in tissues and joints. I was wondering if anyone suffering from FM has walked the Camino and would be willing to share their experience. I'd be much obliged! :)

Buen Camino! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fibromyalgia is one of those conditions that nobody really understands. My wife has suffered from it for many years. It is only quite recently that her GP acknowledges that there is a real issue. A fibromyalgia support group is probably your best option for information. My wife is very tenacious and has researched many options for treatment and is actually much better now than she was 20 years ago. Having said that, she would have trouble with the Camino, but more due to Anno Domini than fibro I suspect. Good luck!!

Thank you for your feedback, AJ! Tell me about it, it took doctors five years to figure out what's wrong and additional two years for what has caused it. Long term hormonal imbalance and genetic factors supposedly caused mine. Combining Western and Eastern medicine has helped me manage the condition quite well. Like your spouse I'm a fighter, too and will not give up on myself :).
Camino has been calling me for a few years now and I decided the time is as good as any. I am well aware that it will be quite a challenge for me, I expect lots of sores and aches but I trust I'll push through slowly and patiently. I certainly will not be doing 20km per day - if I manage to do 10km in a day I'll be one happy peregrina :).

Thank you for the good wishes, will keep you posted on how I'm doing :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Firstly @dasha I just want to say how incredibly brave you are for setting yourself he goal of completing the Camino despite being diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

As a physio, I have come across many people who have the same diagnosis and aware of how debilitating some days can be. The current research supports regular cardiovascular exercises to help reduce flare ups, which is exactly what the Camino is. You have probably already done your research but the main thing is to ensure you pace yourself, take regular breaks and it would probably be wise to do shorter days than what is recommended in the guidebook. You know yourself the best and I'm sure you know what triggers your symptoms, so as much as you can try to minimize your exposure to those triggers.

Wishing you all the best!

Hi Dasha, welcome to the Forum!
I do not know anything about fibromyalgia but I wish you all the best and I hope you will be able to walk the Camino. I think you are a very brave person!
Buen Camino.

Buen Camino, Dasha. Pace yourself, frequent cafe con leche, extra rest days if needed, and don't hesitate to take a bus or taxi. Why not try, I admire your attitude. Go for it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome to this virtual albergue, Dasha!
I don't have FM but know a few people who do, so have a sense of the challenge you're facing.
Here's a story that may inspire:
I met a Korean peregrino who was walking with the effects of childhood polio. He was relatively young and fit--and he had to be, because partial paralysis meant putting one foot in front of the other was difficult. And he did it--slowly carrying his things, step by step by step. Some days he said he had to take a taxi a few kms because of pain and exhaustion, but I thought that he was a more heartfelt pilgrim than many of us who were able-bodied.
So. Go! Give yourself plenty of time so you can take it slowly if you need to. And don't be afraid to be flexible. It's your attitude of heart that is most important.
Buen Camino and please let us know how you go.

Greetings to all!

I am a 44 years old female walking the Camino in July. I am (un)fortunate enough to be accompanied with this unwelcomed guest called fibromyalgia, a medical condition characterised by chronic widespread pain in tissues and joints. I was wondering if anyone suffering from FM has walked the Camino and would be willing to share their experience. I'd be much obliged! :)

I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivities and Fibromyalgia and walking the Camino is my medicine. I've walked nearly every year for 10 years and it helps very much. The biggest problem for me is the perfume and other scents I encounter in albergues, which leads me to often book private lodging.

Firstly @dasha I just want to say how incredibly brave you are for setting yourself he goal of completing the Camino despite being diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

As a physio, I have come across many people who have the same diagnosis and aware of how debilitating some days can be. The current research supports regular cardiovascular exercises to help reduce flare ups, which is exactly what the Camino is. You have probably already done your research but the main thing is to ensure you pace yourself, take regular breaks and it would probably be wise to do shorter days than what is recommended in the guidebook. You know yourself the best and I'm sure you know what triggers your symptoms, so as much as you can try to minimize your exposure to those triggers.

Wishing you all the best!

Thank you so much for the advice and support, Physio_pilgrim! After reading many books on Camino I've decided to not follow any of the books - I'll listen to my body instead and just go with the flow. I've taken plenty of time off (2 full months) and I believe I will to come to the end of the world eventually :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Dasha, welcome to the Forum!
I do not know anything about fibromyalgia but I wish you all the best and I hope you will be able to walk the Camino. I think you are a very brave person!
Buen Camino.

Thank you, Ekelund for the welcome and the support! What does not kill us, makes us stronger, right? :)

Buen Camino, Dasha. Pace yourself, frequent cafe con leche, extra rest days if needed, and don't hesitate to take a bus or taxi. Why not try, I admire your attitude. Go for it!

Thank you Jayne! I shall take your advice to heart, but will skip the leche :). Bus or taxi will definitely be my last resort - I will rather take a day or two of rest more and walk all the way. Small steps will get me there eventually :)

Welcome to this virtual albergue, Dasha!
I don't have FM but know a few people who do, so have a sense of the challenge you're facing.
Here's a story that may inspire:
I met a Korean peregrino who was walking with the effects of childhood polio. He was relatively young and fit--and he had to be, because partial paralysis meant putting one foot in front of the other was difficult. And he did it--slowly carrying his things, step by step by step. Some days he said he had to take a taxi a few kms because of pain and exhaustion, but I thought that he was a more heartfelt pilgrim than many of us who were able-bodied.
So. Go! Give yourself plenty of time so you can take it slowly if you need to. And don't be afraid to be flexible. It's your attitude of heart that is most important.
Buen Camino and please let us know how you go.

Thank you, Viranani, for this inspiring story. Yes, I couldn't agree more, small steps can make long distances, with patience and perseverance. I strongly believe that things are only impossible until they are done :). I will keep you updated on my progress, can't wait to finally answer the Call :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivities and Fibromyalgia and walking the Camino is my medicine. I've walked nearly every year for 10 years and it helps very much. The biggest problem for me is the perfume and other scents I encounter in albergues, which leads me to often book private lodging.

Annie, you are my hero! :) Thank you so much for your feedback! I will keep you posted on my progress :)

I start my Camino on Monday Oct 10th with Chronic Pain Syndrome (doctor didn't want to call it fibromyalgia because he thinks people see that diagnosis as a sentencing). I have a herniated disc in my low back and had hip surgery a few years ago.

After spending years telling myself "when I feel better I'll do it" I realized that "better" was never coming.

My Camino will be decided day by day. I'm not giving myself a time limit, and if I have to drop out I won't be disappointed, it will just be another reason to start up again from the place I left off.

When I get to an albergue, I'll check how far the next town is and if I think I can make it, I'll head to the next town.

You will probably have to make some adjustments, but go with an openness to change things up as needed. Don't hesitate to do shorter days, don't hesitate to send your pack with Jacotrans, don't hesitate to take rest days, don't hesitate to take a bus here and there, and don't drop out too soon. You will do OK, and I wish you buen camino! You are in my prayers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I start my Camino on Monday Oct 10th with Chronic Pain Syndrome (doctor didn't want to call it fibromyalgia because he thinks people see that diagnosis as a sentencing). I have a herniated disc in my low back and had hip surgery a few years ago.

After spending years telling myself "when I feel better I'll do it" I realized that "better" was never coming.

My Camino will be decided day by day. I'm not giving myself a time limit, and if I have to drop out I won't be disappointed, it will just be another reason to start up again from the place I left off.

When I get to an albergue, I'll check how far the next town is and if I think I can make it, I'll head to the next town.
Good attitude! Let us know how it is going. Buen camino!

I also have fibromyalgia and appreciate so much reading everyone's responses! I plan to walk next September...a little fearful but a LOT excited! Thanks, everyone!

I've also got fibro and am hoping to walk Spring 2018. I'm going to use the time in between for research and working on my fitness in general, and then I think I'll give it a go!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Smart, Kati! I've begun working with weights, doing cardio on an elliptical and ergometer and walking our park. Have never felt better! Looking forward to getting my backpack and adding pounds to it, gradually, and will soon start walking hills. We can do this!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I really appreciate it. Reading that some other people with challenging health circumstances have done it really makes me feel more confident about it.

Greetings to all!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi I am a 64 year male also with Fibromyalgia for the past 20 years and have always wanted to walk El Camino. Doctors told me it would be impossible because of the Fibro and the Degenerative Disc Disease in my neck and lower back as well as a number of health issues. As a devout Christian I sort of thought that perhaps God has other plans that differ from the opinions of the Dr's. Well I have been training now for 2 months with 3 more to come before my Pilgrimage starts with some setbacks and some victories. I can now walk 15km in a day , need to get to 20km. I know that on my own the Dr's are probably right but with God's Blessing I will make it or so I pray anyways. Are there any other men my age with Fibro who have walked El Camino. If there is someone I would love to hear about their journies. Many thanks

Hi I am a 64 year male also with Fibromyalgia for the past 20 years and have always wanted to walk El Camino.
No idea what God or the universe has in store for you, but attempting a C. can only be positive, whether it is conclusive or not. Take in the advice that seems resonable to you and gove ot a go. Pish comes to shove, a taxi is never far away.

Best of luck.

Hi Kati, my wife now around 60, has suffered from this difficult condition for over 20 years. She has a very determined personality and has walked the Frances, half the Le Puy, the Dos Faros, the Portuguese and part of the 88 Temple route in Japan over the past four years. She walks up to 30 km days when necessary, but we try to maintain her days at around 25 kms. She finds that going to the gym at home, having regular massage, soaking in hot water and walking regularly has helped her to manage her condition, and when on Camino she will take some ibuprofen on days when it really flairs up. We also try to walk earlier in the day before it gets too hot. Four years ago I researched poles for her and found Pacer Poles in the U.K. that have helped her when she walks as they are designed so that you don't have to grip them very hard.

I'm sure you will be fine. Sometimes the fears are just pre-walk anxieties that I can tell you from experience will drop away with your first steps on the Camino. You will learn to pace yourself and to find your walking rhythm as you go. If you stay flexible on your schedule, you'll be able to change your distances daily depending on how you are feeling. You just have to manage your condition.

Have fun...and no matter what concerns you read on the forum the walking is an amazing experience! As a matter of fact, once you have your gear sorted out and your information sourced so that you feel comfortable, I recommend that if you feel confident enough, that you simply 'let go' of this forum so that you can find your innner balance and then just head off on your Camino. Hundreds of thousands have done so before you, and I suspect you'll be just fine. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.