• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking the camino

Marco Thelen

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Camino de Frances in March 2017
I will be walking my first camino on March 3rd 2017, and I could use all the tips and hacks I could get. I already got my pack. But am struggling to choose the right shoes and sleeping bag. Also just any helpful info i could get would be greatly appreciated. Also will anybody else be there at that time?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the forum, Marco! To address your questions...
Also will anybody else be there at that time?
According to the Santiago Pilgrim Office statistics, 11,067 pilgrims collected compostelas in March 2016. So there should be a few there next March as well!

But am struggling to choose the right shoes and sleeping bag.
Yes, that is usually a struggle and every person needs to go through the process carefully, because the right solutions are different for everyone. Furthermore, no shoe or sleeping bag will be perfect for every condition you will encounter on your camino. So you need to read about others' experience, make your own best judgement, and then deal with it.

Shoes are the most important decision. Choice of socks is also important, once you've picked the shoe. The absolute top priority is that the shoes or boots be a comfortable fit/shape to suit your foot. Once you find something that just "feels" right on your foot, try it in the next size larger. If the larger size is wearable (maybe with a thicker sock) then you should buy the larger size. Buy it from a store that has a good return policy. Test it first by walking briskly in a shopping mall or indoor location so you can return it to the store if it isn't right. Maybe test 2 sizes or 2 models. Boot vs shoe, waterproof vs not, are secondary decisions and either can work fine. I use a lightweight waterproof boot. Heavy hiking boots are not necessary. Many people wear trail runners.

The sleeping bag is not so critical. People make very different decisions about them, and seem satisfied. Down is lighter weight and more expensive. Synthetics are easily washed and cheaper. So, get something lightweight (not more than about 1200 g) and affordable. I want a synthetic non-mummy bag, so mine weighs 950 g.

Total weight of your pack is very important, although people also vary in what is a comfortable weight. I travel in early spring or late fall with under 7 kg and that includes a sleeping bag, full rain gear, and layers for cold weather. Your clothes should be quick-dry and light weight, and chosen to wear in layers. On a very cold day you can wear them all (keeping one layer in your pack to be dry for the night). Several light layers are better than one thick layer.

I hope this gets you started! By the way, what is the size/capacity of your backpack?

Thank you so much for answering :) Do you have any suggestions for a good place to buy the shoes?
And my pack is a 40 liter. Most people said between 30 and 50 is good, so I got a 40, and lots of extra pockets.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Marco, you don't say where you are from. That will determine where you can shop for shoes ;0).

In Canada MEC, Sail, La Cordée are well knwn stores. In the US there is of course REI. Salomon and Merrels are well know quality brands as is Keen (especially of you have a wider foot). Hoka One One is getting wuite a fan base now that it uses Vibram soles.

A heavy leather boot is not necessary, Gortex is something I look for some do not like as they find their feet sweat too much in it. My Salomon Ultra GTX2 have served me well, as have my Hokes, but later in the year because of the tiny holes in some of its materials.

http://www.altitude-sports.com/fr/salomon-x-ultra-2-gtx-femme-sal-371582-fr

Sleeping bag...I cannot stand feeling stuck, so I would never opt for a mummy style. Some choose a bag that opens flat like a quilt. A liner helps keep the bag clean, and adds warmth. If it get too warm, the lining can be used on its own.

Backpack in 40 liters is perfect, as long as it is light and fits you well. If in doubt, ask the store to show you how to fit it.

A must for me is spraying the outside of my back and sleeping bag with permethryn to keep bed bugs away. I also now prefer to use a Smartube for my water vs a Camelback type of reservoir. I also make sure I apply vaseline, Vick's Vapor Rub on my feet in the morning as well as antichaffing cream in groin area and other parts where rubbing may occur. I like to take my toilettries and meds in a hanging case that I hang from the top bunk for easy access and not having to keep digging in my back pack. Using small mesh nylon bags for packing items helps sort things out. For example, towel gets packed with laundry and shower items, and pm clothes get packed with pillow case, eye glass case and other items used after arriving to the albergue. Plastic grocery bags are not your friend as they make a lot of noise in the wee hiurs of the morning when others are still sleeping.

For sleeping I brought a silk liner - 5 ounces, and this small down blanket - 7 ounces. I did walk during a warmer time of year, but that down blanket tucked inside the silk liner kept me warm on a few nights that got done to around 40F.

As far as shopping for shoes, I ordered dozens of shoes from Amazon and Zappos before I found the right ones for me. I have a very hard to fit foot, and couldn't find my size locally.

A 40L pack sounds perfect. I'm sure it will work just fine.
As far as sleeping bags go, I can only suggest buy the lightest one you can in a temperature rating that you feel you will need. I'm assuming you will be sleeping in albergues, and while I'm sure many will be cold at night to be in during March, it's still not the same as sleeping outside, so you can't really compare the two. Also there's a good possibility the albergue you will be staying in will have blankets available. The blankets come in handy to supplement warmth with the bag.
I would think that any sleeping bag that weighs more than three pounds would be too much. I don't know what your budget is, but there's no need to spend too much on equipment for the CF. You can easily find a good, lightweight sleeping bag for under $100 US, and if you shop around on someplace like amazon.com you can find them for under $50 US.
Shoes are something that is almost impossible to recommend because we are all different, and what works for me, may not work for you. All I can say is that personally I had the best luck shoe-wise with Merrell Moabs.
cheers and ultreia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For my first two Caminos I wore all leather Scarpa boots, no blisters and dry feet all the way. For our last walk I wore a pair of gore-tex style boots ( I wont mention the brand), although very comfortable they leaked and I had to buy a can of waterproofing spray in SJPDP. I think I will go back to the Scarpa for our walk in 2017.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A heavy leather boot is not necessary

That's not a general truth -- I've weak ankles and gigantic feet, so my only workable solution for everyday use, let alone the Camino, is a pair of army boots. (contrast my friend of my original 1993 Camino family who thought of the army boots idea in the first place, they were a complete disaster for her)

Also, heavy leather boots (not necessarily army ones) can be a very good choice in the Autumn (particularly for Galicia in heavy rain) and Winter and at least early Spring, though NOT necessarily for everyone, same as always.

I advised one 2014 Camino friend who was not aware of the buy +1 size up thing and absolutely needed new shoes, to get one sturdier pair, and a lighter pair for after-camino and better conditions ; when we met in Santiago in the midst of October rainy season, she made a point of thanking me for the advice. (she chose for herself an awesome pair of neon fuchsia thick but light straightforward hiking shoes)

--

But yes -- for the OP, nobody can give you the advice that you need over the internet, although for a March start again I would advise one sturdier pair, and a lighter pair for after-camino and better conditions. If only one pair, get the sturdier.

Take note that "sturdier" and "lighter" are relative terms ; they are relative to you and your needs, your physical and anatomical ones, that nobody in here can guess.

What we *can* do is help make you aware of various options.

--

And as for a sleeping bag, in March I'd say definitely bring one ; but don't choose it 'til February, and with greater awareness of the coming months' weather reports ;) .

I will be walking my first camino on March 3rd 2017, and I could use all the tips and hacks I could get. I already got my pack. But am struggling to choose the right shoes and sleeping bag. Also just any helpful info i could get would be greatly appreciated. Also will anybody else be there at that time?
As far as equipment, everyone has their personal favorite things. What I did find was excellent equipment stores starting in Ste. Jean and in every larger city after that. The prices all seemed reasonable too. I actually contemplated that one would not need to purchase anything until you arrived in Ste. Jean and would still be comfortable.
Just my opinion

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As far as equipment, everyone has their personal favorite things. What I did find was excellent equipment stores starting in Ste. Jean and in every larger city after that. The prices all seemed reasonable too. I actually contemplated that one would not need to purchase anything until you arrived in Ste. Jean and would still be comfortable.
Just my opinion
As an add on. My wife and I used very light weight sleeping bags that unzipped all the way and we purchased silk liners in the mummy style. Since I am a big guy we sewed two darts into the sides of the liners to increase their overall size from the knees up to the shoulders. They worked wonderfully and were all we needed on about two thirds of the nights. The other nights I was glad to have the sleeping bag too.

Welcome Marco and Greetings from Jerusalem!
Buen Camino! March will be cold! Nothing arctic mind you but comne ready. Most albergues are heated and all those warm bodies snoring, belching, and ah...well...flatulating away are usually enough to keep the temperature bearable.Listen to the advice here but remember, if hyou are carrying too much you can leave the excess in any albergue for those in need, missing something, Spain is a modern country and almost anything you need is readily available. What follows is my usual advice:
1.) See your dentist well before you leave - you don't want to loose a filling or pop a crown on the Camino.
2.) Get your hair cut shortly before leaving, otherwise you will walk trimuphantly into Santiago looking like the Wild Man of Borneo-like I usually do!

Just my opinion
That's a good point.
I arrived in St Jean for my first CF in 2013 not realizing that there were outdoor stores where you can purchase everything you need for the walk (I did not know about this forum then....unbelievable, huh? :D ). I was working in Afghanistan prior and had to scrounge up stuff for the walk there. Difficult at best. Had I known different I would have arrived in St Jean in blue jeans and a t-shirt, walked into the sports shop and exited a short time later fully geared out, and my jeans and t-shirt left on the floor, ha ha.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One add. In march there are many alberques closed. Asociacion de amigos de camino (caminodesantiago.org) normally publish in december a list of those to be open surely.
I also started my first CF the same day 3 rd march 2015 and learned this lesson.
Btw. My next is from Lisbon 1st April 2017
Buen Camino

Just my opinion
I didn't check any of the stores in SJPP, but when the soles of my boots (Keens) wore through in places this year, I started looking for a replacement pair. None of the stores that I was able to check, including Decathalon in Ponferrada and some of the smaller outdoors shops in larger towns, were carrying my size (44-45 depending on the last). Some offered to get the larger size in, but that wasn't a great deal of help when one wants to keep walking.

It seems to me that if you do have a larger frame or feet, one cannot expect that the larger clothing and shoe sizes one needs will be available from store stock.

Thank you all! You advice is greatly appreciated. I'm very excited to begin the camino and I hope I'll be prepared enough. Is there anything else in general I should know? (I know that's a very broad question lol)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The correct shoes are the most important item. Unfortunately, finding the right shoe is a process of trial and error. First tips - Go with a well established brand. Examine the sole. Is it durable? Will it have enough grip in all kinds of terrain? Try them on. If *anything* bothers you about the shoe, try another shoe. Examine how they fit your foot. No rubbing, no tightness? Do your feet feel happy in them? Lace them up and tie them. Walk around. Is your heel slipping in the back? Does your foot slide around in them? Then this is not your shoe. Try some more. Find one that your feet automatically say yes to? Nothing rubbing inside the shoe? Big toe not rubbing against the side of the shoe? Heel not slipping? No binding spots? Good. Now, find an incline. Some stores have a tester for this. Looks like a big grey rock. Go up the rock. Notice the grip. Is it good? Turn downhill. Do your feet hit the front of the toe box? Reject them and try another shoe until you have something workable. Now the real test ... put your money down and buy them. Take them on a good hilly trail with plenty of varied surface and some good ups and downs. Go on a few extended walks. Bring your pack loaded to camino weight. Do your feet still feel good? No hot spots? No aches? No pains? You have the correct shoe. If you have any problems, this is not the right shoe.

I found a shoe that worked so well for me and had so much confidence in that I bought a brand new pair just for the Camino. No break in, I put them on when I got there and took them off at the end of the Camino with not a single foot problem.

Boots vs trail shoes vs sneakers vs sandals ... boots are too heavy. Unless you are in real need of ankle support, avoid them. Trail shoes are just what they are and do a great job. Sneakers may not have the support you need. I've hiked in sandals but your feet have no protection. You'd be surprised what you can smash up against. But in the end it is up to you. I say the lighter the better tho. 20-40,000 steps a day lifting a one pound boot is a lot of work. I've seen people in sandals, I have seen people dancing down the Camino barefoot - almost floating.

One more thing - the one size bigger myth. Do not buy shoes one size bigger. Buy shoes that fit properly right now. Your feet floating around in a shoe that is too big is only going to lead to problems, and yes then your feet will swell. Your feet will not swell if you buy properly fitted shoes, and you will be avoiding problems.

Last edited:
One more thing - the one size bigger myth.

No it isn't, though having said that, YMMV.

Do not buy shoes one size bigger. Buy shoes that fit properly right now. Your feet floating around in a shoe that is too big is only going to lead to problems, and yes then your feet will swell. Your feet will not swell if you buy properly fitted shoes, and you will be avoiding problems.

... or if this is someone who DOES need the +1 size, then following your advice will create massive problems.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
IMG_20161005_123221509.jpg I too bought shoes one size larger and broke them in with two pairs of socks, in hot weather in the States. They were very highly regarded hiking shoes and they really wore the tops of my toes, can't explain it. I was fortunate to have a pair of well worn Birkenstock EVA (plastic sandals) and I walked in them (again two pairs of socks, thick and thin) from Burgos to Santiago, and on to Paris and Istanbul. In fact, I have them on now in my kitchen. The photo is of me wearing the blue EVAs and a German pilgrim wearing sandals for the same reason. We ran into each other for several days in a row and I asked to take a picture. We did not share a common language so our discussion was limited to smiles and pointing, but it was fun.

I say this NOT because I recommend the EVAs for you, but to restate the advice that your feet, walking style and conditions will not match others, you have to figure it out. I'd say NOT NEW is universally good advice, all other suggestions should get some real time testing. But in my case, the expensive hiking shoes did great in my training walks.

You will also see the advice that you can buy shoes in the larger towns along the way, and I saw many people do that. I didn't need to as I arrived in good shape each evening with those plastic shoes, no blister or any pain at all. It doesn't make sense, but that was my expereince, I'll take a new pair next year as well.

Good morning,
I am a warm weather hiker. It's difficult to give anything but general advice as each individual will have different requirements.
Having said that for warm weather I take a "hostel bag" (available at MEC in Ottawa and on line). The bag has a lightly quilted side and a very light cotton sheet on the other. Depending on room temp you can position the bag for optimum comfort. Quilt on top for cooler nights and sheet on top for warmer ones.
It zips as a normal sleeping bag.

There is enough advice on shoes and socks above to keep you busy and I have used most in bits and pieces effectively.

It may require a new thread but lambs wool or alpaca wool padding have not been recommended and perhaps a bit of research in that area might be helpful for blister prevention.regards
Jim

Marco, you don't say where you are from. That will determine where you can shop for shoes ;0).

In Canada MEC, Sail, La Cordée are well knwn stores. In the US there is of course REI. Salomon and Merrels are well know quality brands as is Keen (especially of you have a wider foot). Hoka One One is getting wuite a fan base now that it uses Vibram soles.

A heavy leather boot is not necessary, Gortex is something I look for some do not like as they find their feet sweat too much in it. My Salomon Ultra GTX2 have served me well, as have my Hokes, but later in the year because of the tiny holes in some of its materials.

http://www.altitude-sports.com/fr/salomon-x-ultra-2-gtx-femme-sal-371582-fr

Sleeping bag...I cannot stand feeling stuck, so I would never opt for a mummy style. Some choose a bag that opens flat like a quilt. A liner helps keep the bag clean, and adds warmth. If it get too warm, the lining can be used on its own.

Backpack in 40 liters is perfect, as long as it is light and fits you well. If in doubt, ask the store to show you how to fit it.

A must for me is spraying the outside of my back and sleeping bag with permethryn to keep bed bugs away. I also now prefer to use a Smartube for my water vs a Camelback type of reservoir. I also make sure I apply vaseline, Vick's Vapor Rub on my feet in the morning as well as antichaffing cream in groin area and other parts where rubbing may occur. I like to take my toilettries and meds in a hanging case that I hang from the top bunk for easy access and not having to keep digging in my back pack. Using small mesh nylon bags for packing items helps sort things out. For example, towel gets packed with laundry and shower items, and pm clothes get packed with pillow case, eye glass case and other items used after arriving to the albergue. Plastic grocery bags are not your friend as they make a lot of noise in the wee hiurs of the morning when others are still sleeping.
Definitely ordering the Permethryn spray, as the bed bug warnings are consistent. The mesh bags make a lot of sense too- the separation just makes life simpler. Thanks for your post

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back