• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Cele Variant with a dog

Jill81

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ’14,’19
Portuguese ‘15
Via Francigena ’16
Kumano Kodo, Japan 2017
VdlP 2018 to be cont’d
Later this year when the weather is cooler I'd like to walk the Cele Variant from Figeac to Cahors with my dog. After looking at Miam Miam Dodo it seems that there are quite a few places that would accept her so it seems like a possibility with a bit of advanced planning. Does anyone here have any experience staying in gites and chambre d'hôtes in France with a dog? Or specifically on the Cele route?
Thanks for any advice!

Here she is in training . . .

Attachments

• IMG_9270.JPG
    IMG_9270.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 846
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, bringing dogs into lodgings and restaurants is more accepted in France than Spain, even taking your dog on the train is okay.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have only camped when on Camino with my dog in France, but have stayed in plenty of hotels/chambre d'hotes with him when on holiday, and he was welcomed pretty much everywhere. I work in S France occasionally and often see people pushing their dogs around the supermarket in their trolley! Most bars, restaurants and shops seem to welcome them.
And your dog looks adorable!

Thanks for your reply hecate105, and complement! I've stayed in a few hotels with her and sometimes the staff were a bit surprised to see her size as I think they are more accustomed to handbag sized dogs. Her "charm" won them over in the end, though!

I know a lot of people get quite shirty about folk taking their dogs on pilgrimage - or long walks/cycles, but the extra organisation/thought is SO worth it to have your canine companion with you. They are a protection, a friend and no-one can cheer you up as fast as a dog!
We lost our beloved Oaky last year and walks/cycles/paddles just aren't the same without him....:(
Of course - not carrying a gallon water container just for him makes things a bit easier!;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I completely agree that dogs are very welcome in hotels and other accommodation in France; but it is definitely not the case in Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back