• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the coastal way this June-July

Josh G

Time of past OR future Camino
CDN, 2014; Partial CDN, 2015; CP 2018; CP 2020
Dear friends,
I'm taking a punt and walking the Camino Portugese coastal route starting June 21. I realise it's a bit of a risk, but after a year without a holiday or seeing the ocean, I decided to give it a go. I will be travelling from Berlin. Anyone else walking it at that time?
Enjoy summer!
Josh

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear friends,
I'm taking a punt and walking the Camino Portugese coastal route starting June 21. I realise it's a bit of a risk, but after a year without a holiday or seeing the ocean, I decided to give it a go. I will be travelling from Berlin. Anyone else walking it at that time?
Enjoy summer!
Josh

Hi Josh,

Do you think the albergues will be open? some/all of them? Have you heard anything? :Oo

/BP

Dear friends,
Enjoy summer!
Josh

The risk being to you or to the Portuguese people you might encounter?

Have you considered:
  • What are the hazards?
  • Who might be harmed?
  • What are you already doing to control the risks?
Before I retired as an engineer I had to evaluate all the hazards that might be encountered on my construction sites; calculate the risk of something going wrong and work out a way of reducing that risk to an acceptable level. Nobody wanted to end the working day with a dead colleague.

So might I suggest you ask yourself what are the hazards? You might be asymptomatic and carry the virus with you from Berlin to Portugal.

If so then who might be harmed? Anybody you come into contact with on the train/plane/bus/coach.

What are you going to do to control the risks? . . . Well, what are you going to do?

And if you want to see the sea - well the Baltic isn't that far from Berlin.

Be safe

🥾🥾

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Have you considered:
  • What are the hazards?
  • Who might be harmed?
Before I retired as an engineer I had to evaluate all the hazards that might be encountered on my construction sites; calculate the risk of something going wrong and work out a way of reducing that risk to an acceptable level. Nobody wanted to end the working day with a dead colleague.

So might I suggest you ask yourself what are the hazards? You might be asymptomatic and carry the virus with you from Berlin to Portugal.

If so then who might be harmed? Anybody you come into contact with on the train/plane/bus/coach.

What are you going to do to control the risks? . . . Well, what are you going to do?

Be safe

🥾🥾
Thanks for your concern, Jeff. Thing is, Portugal is open to EU travellers now. That's official.

There is always risk. All we can do is minimise it by following social distancing and hygiene rules. There wouldn't be any difference with that if I travelled north. I'm not asymptomatic because I had the virus back in March – it was nasty, but I lived to tell the tale.

Hi Josh,

Do you think the albergues will be open? some/all of them? Have you heard anything? :Oo

/BP
I've been emailing with Oscar Miguel at the Porto Municipal Albergue, and it is open. They have new social distancing rules, but it's much the same there. Oscar said the municipal albergues are gradually opening. He also said there are plenty of private hostels and campsites along the way. Given that the official position is that EU travellers are welcome, I'm going to trust that and go. I'm sure I will find a way. It's just important to take a few extra precautions.

Thanks for your concern, Jeff. Thing is, Portugal is open to EU travellers now. That's official.

There is always risk. All we can do is minimise it by following social distancing and hygiene rules. There wouldn't be any difference with that if I travelled north. I'm not asymptomatic because I had the virus back in March – it was nasty, but I lived to tell the tale.

Glad you recovered! Have a great camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dear friends,
Enjoy summer!
Josh

If Spain and Portugal are open for travelers from the US in the Fall, then I will be on the Aragones and then the Portuguese late September thru October. I won't be there in the same time frame that you will be there, but I'll look forward to reading posts about your pilgrimage. :)

Dear friends,
Enjoy summer!
Josh

Josh,
please post updates on your Camino adventure. I am planning the same route (my first Camino) in June or July.
I don't have fixed dates yet, but will probably start several days after you.

If Spain and Portugal are open for travelers from the US in the Fall, then I will be on the Aragones and then the Portuguese late September thru October. I won't be there in the same time frame that you will be there, but I'll look forward to reading posts about your pilgrimage. :)

@Dave Turns out Portugal is the only country in the EU welcoming travelers from the US now already, no quarantine required either. Like David said, no judging please, at the end it depends on each individual how they behave, not the country they are from.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Dave Turns out Portugal is the only country in the EU welcoming travelers from the US now already, no quarantine required either. Like David said, no judging please, at the end it depends on each individual how they behave, not the country they are from.

I don't know where you come up with me being 'judgemental', but I suggest re-reading the post. I made a statement based on facts not criticisms.

Portugal may be welcoming Americans right now, but that can change if there is a spike in per capita new infections. I am not going now, I am going in September, just as my post stated. While I believe the epidemiological patterns will be favorable in in terms of per capita new cases, I am concerned and watchful.

With the massive protests that have been going on, we could very well see that spike. Public Health officials in America have expressed that same concern.

Most EU nations will look at admitting tourists, based on COVID-19 patterns from their nations. Italy is doing that, Iceland, and some within the Schengen area. Spain hasn't announced their complete tourism criteria, but it is likely to exclude tourists from nations above a certain marker based on per capita infection rates.

This has confused me completely. The 'Dave' linked above hasn't made any contribution to this thread, and I cannot find any post that I thought was judgemental before the comment made by @David with new Kit! Was there a post that I missed that has been removed?

As for the OP, @Josh G, I intend to walk the CP, but getting my plans back on track for this year appears unlikely. If you are inclined to share your progress here on this forum, I would be interested in your observations of the route compared to the other Caminos you have done.

Josh , i know that most of the albergues are open . At least the ones that are between Porto and Caminha .
But this is 3-4 days of walking . Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Portugal-Spain border closed until 1st of July ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think that perhaps it was this comment that was considered judgemental? Not @davebugg's comment

Have you considered:
  • What are the hazards?
  • Who might be harmed?

I'm not asymptomatic because I had the virus back in March – it was nasty, but I lived to tell the tale.
Josh brings up something worth mentioning - people who have had tbe virus are probably the best people to be out there even now. They'll bring a tiny bit of economic activity to places that have been starved of it. As well as something that has no price - hope.

The only caution I'd be feeling in your shoes would be whether the virus is actually gone - there have been reports of latency, where the virus 'hides out' someplace in the body, inactive, like the chicken pox virus does. That could pose a risk for your healh (if it reactibates under the physical stress of walking) as well as a risk to others.

I have no idea how one would go about determining this risk, or even if it's possible. But it might be worth talking to a health care professional and doing a bit of reading yourself.

Oh, and make sure the border with Spain is open.;)

Buen camino, if you go!

I'd say go for it, particularly as you have already recovered from it -- just make sure that you don't get to the Portugal/Spain border before July 1st.

there have been reports of latency, where the virus 'hides out' someplace in the body, inactive, like the chicken pox virus does. That could pose a risk for your healh (if it reactibates under the physical stress of walking) as well as a risk to others.

Some early reports, notably from South Korea, about people getting the disease twice turned out (after the testing tech improved) to be false positives, and those reports have basically been retracted.

There is no evidence currently that it can "hide" and return. It seems that recovery from Covid19 provides about the same resistance to infection that recovery from cold and flu coronaviruses typically grants, including probably some degree of cross-resistance to and from some of those viruses. (which is of course great news, and very likely part of the reasons why so many countries in Continental Europe have accelerated their exiting from lockdown policies)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Josh,
please post updates on your Camino adventure. I am planning the same route (my first Camino) in June or July.
I don't have fixed dates yet, but will probably start several days after you.
I would like to, but I walk tech-free; no smart phone, only a dumbphone for staying in contact with my wife. If I see an opportunity to use the net along the way I will, but otherwise I'll post about it once I'm back home.

Josh , i know that most of the albergues are open . At least the ones that are between Porto and Caminha .
But this is 3-4 days of walking . Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Portugal-Spain border closed until 1st of July ?
Thanks for this post Joro, that's great to hear. And ouch, it seems I might have rushed a little on booking my flights. It's 10 days from when I arrive in Porto to July 1, which is more time than I need for that stretch. I messed up it seems. If you have any advice for what I could do to eat up some time it would be welcome! Obrigado, bom dia!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

You can go!

Hi Josh,
You could walk the coastal then the central or the other way around. Or take a bus to Coimbra and start from there, or any where south of Porto depending on your personal pace. Then again you could just enjoy Porto and the sweet wine!! You will have no problem filling the extra days until the border opens.
Buen Camino,
MaryEllen

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for this post Joro, that's great to hear. And ouch, it seems I might have rushed a little on booking my flights. It's 10 days from when I arrive in Porto to July 1, which is more time than I need for that stretch. I messed up it seems. If you have any advice for what I could do to eat up some time it would be welcome! Obrigado, bom dia!

Josh if you have the option to reschedule your flight or alternatively you can explore Porto and Lisbon (it is 2 ½ hours ride by train and ticket is 15 euro .
Also when you arrive at Caminha you can turn right and walk an extra day to Valenca it is beautiful walk by the river (30 km) . Next day you can cross the border trough the bridge and enter Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dear friends,
Enjoy summer!
Josh
Good for you! I would have just completed my Camino Portugese on June 9 had all this pandemic not happened. I'm happy for you, and quite honestly a teeny bit jealous. Enjoy every minute of it!

i agree, but I gathered Jeff was the one being referred to.
I've made too many mistakes in life to be judgmental - I'm just worried about people being so anxious to get out there that they don't start things up all over again. I mean really, what's the rush?

A friend of mine is a doctor from Ireland and she remarked this week that viruses (and she's worked in a lot of developing countries fighting them) are like a fire in an Irish peat bog - just when you think you've got them under control they can flare up again.

I'm 68 and planning on making it to 69 so staying put at present.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good on you. I hope it goes well. Heath and safety first and foremost for you and everyone else. That’s the most important. Good luck.

Composite? You commented on negativity. So if you included MY post as being negative, (which was the only one you quoted, btw), please tell me how so, and I will correct it. I am apparently missing something that you are reading or interpreting.

You misinterpret. He says that it was a composite comment based on several messages, not that all the messages included were negative.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dear friends,
Enjoy summer!
Josh
Please try to give us updates!

Regarding the little conflict about seemingly judgemental and negative comments in this thread, I think it's important to remember how easy it is to misinterpret written communication. Because we can't see the writer's body language or hear their intonation. So let's try to be kind and generous with one another.

In saying that, I think we also need to be careful not to lecture others. Regardless of one's good intentions, when one tells others what they should or shouldn't do, it usually doesn't get a favourable reaction. There is a difference between speaking in a subjective way, and in a way that implies one knows better than others.

I wish you all a wonderful day.

€46,-
Turns out Portugal is the only country in the EU welcoming travelers from the US now already, no quarantine required either. Like David said, no judging please, at the end it depends on each individual how they behave, not the country they are from.
Not that it matters much. It's 12 June today, things will change, in particular on 15 June and 1 July. But what you state above is not true or at least very misleading. There may be flights, there may be people coming from the US who are entitled to enter Portugal, like US citizens with a Portuguese residency permit or who have a second nationality and Portuguese passport but run-of-the-mill tourists from outside the EU are not allowed to enter the EU+ area and that it includes Portugal. You may wish to read the Portuguese Order n.º 5503-C/2020 of 13 May and read it carefully about what it says about flights from the USA, the UK, Venezuela, Canada, South Africa and Brazil and who will be allowed in from these flights.

In fact, currently nobody knows anything about future arrangements. A list of countries will be drawn up soon by the EU but who's on it and who isn't is anyone's guess right now. The list will specify the countries whose nationals/residents will be allowed to enter EU+ in the context of Covid-19 measures from a date yet to be specified but most likely 1 July.

None of this is of any importance to @Josh G who intends to travel by plane from Berlin in Germany to Porto in Portugal.

Last edited:
Not that it matters much. It's 12 June today, things will change, in particular on 15 June and 1 July. But what you state above is not true or at least very misleading. There may be flights, there may be people coming from the US who are entitled to enter Portugal, like US citizens with a Portuguese residency permit or who have a second nationality and Portuguese passport but run-of-the-mill tourists from outside the EU are not allowed to enter the EU+ area. In fact, currently nobody knows anything. A list of countries will be drawn up soon by the EU but who's on it and who isn't is anyone's guess right now.

None of this is of any importance to @Josh G who intends to travel from Berlin to Portugal.
Funnily enough @Kathar1na , what you've written there might well be of importance! I'm travelling from Berlin, but I'm from New Zealand and living in the EU thanks to having a British passport as well. I'm trying to decide which passport to travel with: NZ or British. I'm thinking because NZ has eliminated the virus it might be better to travel with that. Thoughts welcome! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm travelling from Berlin, but I'm from New Zealand and living in the EU thanks to having a British passport as well. I'm trying to decide which passport to travel with: NZ or British. I'm thinking because NZ has eliminated the virus it might be better to travel with that. Thoughts welcome! :)
I guess you have an EU-German residency permit? And you come from a Berlin airport and will walk through the airport channels for Schengen air traffic? I think that matters the most. Bon voyage & buen camino ... yes, I know that's Spanish and not Portuguese ☺.

They stated quite clearly in the documents that they published yesterday that residence should be regarded as deciding factor about whether someone is allowed in or not.

Last edited:
I guess you have a EU-German residency permit? And you come from a Berlin airport and will walk through the airport channels for Schengen air traffic? I think that matters the most. Bon voyage & buen camino ... yes, I know that's Spanish and not Portuguese ☺.
No, I don't need a residency permit because I have a British passport which grants me EU citizenship until the end of this year. Yes, I'm flying direct to Porto from Berlin. I'll take both passports for good measure!

No, I don't need a residency permit because I have a British passport which grants me EU citizenship until the end of this year.
Oh I forgot, I seem to remember that Germany of all places doesn't have such a card (whatever they are called these days) for EU nationals who live in another EU country. Other EU countries have such eID cards. They ceased calling them residency permits for some legal reason but I continue to use this term. I wondered how it all will work out in the next few weeks. I am sure you will be fine. Taking two passports cannot hurt. Let us know whether anyone cared to look at any of them. ☺

€60,-
Hey friends,
So I just got an email from Oscar Miguel at the Albergue Peregrinos Porto. He has been super helpful and encouraging. As mentioned, his albergue is open, and he has given me a list of all the open albergues in Portugal between Porto and the Spanish border. They are in reverse geographic order:

Seixas Albergue S. Bento
Vila Nova de Cerveira Casa Gwendolin
Caminha Arca Nova Guest House
Carreço Casa Sardão
Vila Praia de Âncora Hostel Davenida
Anha Casa Carolina
Castelo de Neiva Albergue Don Nausti
Esposende Hostel Eleven
Esposende Sleep and Go
Póvoa do Varzim Hostel Sardines & Friends
Angeiras Parque Campismo Orbitur
Porto Albergue de Peregrinos do Porto

sounds like you believe
Can we please stick to the topic of this thread? There are numerous current threads on the forum when one can ponder global situations and one's own morbidity and mortality, general heath status, state of mind, and sense of responsibility as well as those of others.

Hey friends,
So I just got an email from Oscar Miguel at the Albergue Peregrinos Porto. He has been super helpful and encouraging. As mentioned, his albergue is open, and he has given me a list of all the open albergues in Portugal between Porto and the Spanish border. They are in reverse geographic order:

Seixas Albergue S. Bento
Vila Nova de Cerveira Casa Gwendolin
Caminha Arca Nova Guest House
Carreço Casa Sardão
Vila Praia de Âncora Hostel Davenida
Anha Casa Carolina
Castelo de Neiva Albergue Don Nausti
Esposende Hostel Eleven
Esposende Sleep and Go
Póvoa do Varzim Hostel Sardines & Friends
Angeiras Parque Campismo Orbitur
Porto Albergue de Peregrinos do Porto

Hi Josh
That's a very useful list, well-posted !
I was planning to walk the CF last month, then take the train down to Porto and walk back up the CP eventually flying out of SdC.
Walked the CF twice last year and twice the year before; yes, its highly addictive if you have the time.
But the thing that gets me returning time and again is the joy of meeting the local people; old friends and new.
How many times are we greeted by strangers with a heart-felt "Buen Camino" ?
It is both a sign of welcome and a wish/silent prayer to take with us on our journey.
We meet the warm and smiling eyes of so many people every day.
Without it, for me the Camino would lose its most priceless magic.
And that's what's holding me back right now.
I could fly tomorrow, but I'm not sure...
How would I, and all the other post lockdown pilgrims, be seen by the locals ?
As welcome visitors, or potentially vectoring virus-spreaders ?
I've had it, but unless I wear a sign around my neck how would anyone possibly know ?
So if there is anyone out there with first-hand knowledge, PLEASE let me know.

€83,-
Hi Josh
That's a very useful list, well-posted !
I was planning to walk the CF last month, then take the train down to Porto and walk back up the CP eventually flying out of SdC.
Walked the CF twice last year and twice the year before; yes, its highly addictive if you have the time.
But the thing that gets me returning time and again is the joy of meeting the local people; old friends and new.
How many times are we greeted by strangers with a heart-felt "Buen Camino" ?
It is both a sign of welcome and a wish/silent prayer to take with us on our journey.
We meet the warm and smiling eyes of so many people every day.
Without it, for me the Camino would lose its most priceless magic.
And that's what's holding me back right now.
I could fly tomorrow, but I'm not sure...
How would I, and all the other post lockdown pilgrims, be seen by the locals ?
As welcome visitors, or potentially vectoring virus-spreaders ?
I've had it, but unless I wear a sign around my neck how would anyone possibly know ?
So if there is anyone out there with first-hand knowledge, PLEASE let me know.
Thanks for your comment @tigermike! For sure, it's addictive! And totally know what you mean about the local people and the generosity. I've been thinking about what you have raised, too; whether locals will be happy to see us, or whether some of them might yell obscenities at me out their car window. I guess I'll find out soon. But my hunch is they will be pleased to see travellers coming back, perhaps as sign of life returning to normality. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

In the meantime, I will be very careful before I leave and while I travel. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for your comment @tigermike! But my hunch is they will be pleased to see travellers coming back, perhaps as sign of life returning to normality. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

In the meantime, I will be very careful before I leave and while I travel. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I have no doubt that you will be careful Josh, as I have very little doubt that everyone else seriously considering setting off in the next few days/weeks will also be taking all responsible precautions...
And yes, only time will tell how your journey will be perceived....
So let me wish you well, bon voyage and buen camino !

No, I don't need a residency permit because I have a British passport which grants me EU citizenship until the end of this year.

Freedom of movement not citizenship.

Having said that, and more positively, there are some seemingly solid suggestions that the more basic customs and passports stuff might be extended 'til mid 2021, for multiple Covid19 reasons and especially politics & economics reasons, even if there's a "hard" "no-deal" Brexit at 00:00:01 midnight +1 1st January.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Back up and start a couple of days away from Porto on the Lisbon to Porto part of the Camino!

Me too, I'll be on the Portugues way late Septembrie (29 / 30)

Dear friends,
Enjoy summer!
Josh
Check out accommodation before you go. It's not like other caminos. Accommodation is not as plentiful, especially on the coastal route. Having said that, if you can make it work at this point in time, it's amazing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear friends,
Enjoy summer!
Josh
Hey Josh, I am starting also in June. Flying from Berlin to Lisbon June the 18th but I think I gonna start the walk from Porto around the 24th of June, as the spanish borders will only open from the first of July, as well as albergues. So, perhaps we gonna meet. :)

Sven

Dear friends,
Enjoy summer!
Josh
I have booked a flight with Wizz Air to Porto (after EasyJet cancelled) and will set out on July 5th, anyone else out there?

Hey Josh, I am starting also in June. Flying from Berlin to Lisbon June the 18th but I think I gonna start the walk from Porto around the 24th of June, as the spanish borders will only open from the first of July, as well as albergues. So, perhaps we gonna meet. :)

Sven
I hope so, Sven! I might start on the 22 or the 23rd and kick around further up the coast for a day or two in Caminha. I'm thinking I might do a day trip from there on this epic looking hiking trail: https://pt.wikiloc.com/trilhas-trek...anha-do-alto-minho-percurso-completo-25099226
When will you be in Porto? I'll be there from late afternoon June 21, and staying here: https://albergueperegrinosporto.pt/

Catch you there!
Josh

€83,-
I hope so, Sven! I might start on the 22 or the 23rd and kick around further up the coast for a day or two in Caminha. I'm thinking I might do a day trip from there on this epic looking hiking trail: https://pt.wikiloc.com/trilhas-trek...anha-do-alto-minho-percurso-completo-25099226
When will you be in Porto? I'll be there from late afternoon June 21, and staying here: https://albergueperegrinosporto.pt/

Catch you there!
Josh
I will be staying in the same albergue but more toward the 23/24th of June I guess. Will see when I am there. ;-)

Boa tarde all!

I'm writing this at Oscar's albergue in Porto. The place would normally be full to capacity at this time of year, but is weirdly empty. I have a room for six all to myself. The other rooms are empty, too. One of the few recent messages in the guest book remarks how surreal it is being a solitary pilgrim in a two level albergue; I have to concur. No glowing, worn out, smelly, talkative, joyful kindred spirits to share food and tales with. It's just me, Oscar, and the albergue cat. It's a wonderful cat, though.

Needless to say, these are hard times for Oscar and many other people owning, running, overseeing albergues whether private, municipal or church run. Oscar told me a couple of sad stories. They really hope and need pilgrims to start coming back soon, or things will become impossible for many of them.

The city itself has a different face without all the tourists here. I climbed the to the top of the Torre dos Clerigos alone and had the incredible views across the city all to myself. It is much less hectic now, which I feel grateful for due to my visceral aversion to swarming crowds of selfie-snapping sightseers. Wearing masks is expected and pervasive; even drivers without passengers wear them, which is something I haven't seen in Berlin.

To be honest, last night, my first night here, I felt a little concerned. Part of me felt like, "gee whiz kiddo, what have you got yourself into? Why didn't you listen to those sceptical people on the Camino forum?" This morning, as expected, that feeling of concern had evaporated like mist in the rising sun, and I felt good to go. I'll begin my camino early tomorrow morning (it's viciously hot by 11am).

At this point, I'm appreciating the advantages of walking the camino in these corona days; it's less busy, essentially a quieter, more solitary experience. As a contemplative person this doesn't bother me; in fact, I do hermit mode fairly well. However, for more social types, the camino wouldn't be much fun at all. Who knows, maybe in a few days I also will be craving comraderie. I will post another update if I can.

Bom caminho!

Boa tarde all!

I'm writing this at Oscar's albergue in Porto. The place would normally be full to capacity at this time of year, but is weirdly empty. I have a room for six all to myself. The other rooms are empty, too. One of the few recent messages in the guest book remarks how surreal it is being a solitary pilgrim in a two level albergue; I have to concur. No glowing, worn out, smelly, talkative, joyful kindred spirits to share food and tales with. It's just me, Oscar, and the albergue cat. It's a wonderful cat, though.

Needless to say, these are hard times for Oscar and many other people owning, running, overseeing albergues whether private, municipal or church run. Oscar told me a couple of sad stories. They really hope and need pilgrims to start coming back soon, or things will become impossible for many of them.

The city itself has a different face without all the tourists here. I climbed the to the top of the Torre dos Clerigos alone and had the incredible views across the city all to myself. It is much less hectic now, which I feel grateful for due to my visceral aversion to swarming crowds of selfie-snapping sightseers. Wearing masks is expected and pervasive; even drivers without passengers wear them, which is something I haven't seen in Berlin.

To be honest, last night, my first night here, I felt a little concerned. Part of me felt like, "gee whiz kiddo, what have you got yourself into? Why didn't you listen to those sceptical people on the Camino forum?" This morning, as expected, that feeling of concern had evaporated like mist in the rising sun, and I felt good to go. I'll begin my camino early tomorrow morning (it's viciously hot by 11am).

At this point, I'm appreciating the advantages of walking the camino in these corona days; it's less busy, essentially a quieter, more solitary experience. As a contemplative person this doesn't bother me; in fact, I do hermit mode fairly well. However, for more social types, the camino wouldn't be much fun at all. Who knows, maybe in a few days I also will be craving comraderie. I will post another update if I can.

Bom caminho!
Hey Josh, I will be arriving in Porto the 24th. Bom Caminho.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I booked the Portugues Costal Camino last week but now the Dutch government has put a "travel ban" on Porto and Lisboa. I am planning to start 9th of August but most probably all flights will be cancelled for the time being. Hope by that time the travel ban has been lifted. Covid-19 is here to stay for a while, #staysafe

Easy.
Reserve for Spain (Santiago, Vigo, Madrid, ..) and come by bus to Lisbon or Porto.
The major focus of COVID just outside Lisbon in the community of emigrants.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear friends,
Enjoy summer!
Josh
I have read through all the comments.. my only comments are be safe, be respectful and above all take in all the experiences. Buen camino Josh...

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back