• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking The Cp With A Group Of Very Special People...

Emia

We still have 6 very long months to go :), but the countdown has begun!

My colleague (42) and I (58) will start in Porto, together with 6 very sweet girls between 16 and 21. These kids all have a long history of neglection, abuse and violence in many aspects, were victims of bullying etc. As a result, they carry a heavy load of borderline and/or bipolar disorder, emotional troubles, educational problems, eating disorder etc., so their backpack is already full :eek: Since it will take a lot of motivation, care, reflection, stress reduction and the building of confidence, we plan 17 walking days and 3 resting days. By the way, I'm the only experienced pilgrim among 7 newbies. OMG, now thát's what I call a huge adventure...

The whole idea initially started as some kind of a cheeky joke. Within our institution I'm that crazy ol' lady, who "always" goes on pilgrimage. And I guess they are right: CF in 2001 & 2008, Del Norte in 2011, CP in 2012, 2013, 2015 & 2016. While sharing my latest experiences over dinner, one of the girls mentioned reading a book about the Camino, another one had seen a movie about it, the third one said she wanted to see some of my pictures (I guess she didn't really believe me and wanted some prove), and then my colleague asked me when (mind you, WHEN, not IF) I would go on Camino with her and the girls. Laughing out loudly indeed.

I must confess that I haven't really tried to make it tasty. Blisters, sore muscles, hunger, thirst, the mixed dorms and the snoring in the albergues, going uphill and downhill on steep and rocky tracks, a 10 kilo backpack, and continuing our walk in spite of heat or cold or rain, thunder, lightning and tornados... It was useless: the challenge (yes, we can!) became even bigger.

The Camino will provide, and I have never experienced anything else indeed, but with thís bunch in tow, I really have to guarantee some security.

? Does anybody know if it's possible to make a reservation in Albergue Ninho/Rubiaes? It will take us hours to cross the "hell of Rubiaes" and by the time we arrive, the municipal will surely be completo. On the assumption that we all survive ;)

? Have you ever stayed in the former monastery Casa de la Virgin in Pontevedra? It looks as if they have affordable single rooms - by then the girls will just love one night of privacy.

? Does the Albergue in Portela de Barro take reservations? We'll have to split the stage from Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis, since 24 km is undoubtedly too far for the newbies.

? Does anybody know if Ryanair will take our walking sticks home (Santiago - Frankfurt Hahn) for free? We will find/cut our own ones on the way, but I know the girls will get very attached to them and I would love to take them home.

It won't be easy. A lot of tears will flow, and we'll have to endure many panic attacks and manage many different problems, but the Camino apperently called us.... I pray to God that HE/SHE will give me the power and the persistence to guide these 7 newbies from Porto to Santiago. And I definitely need the strength to separate my own desires from the requests of this pilgrimage. Then this time it's definitely nót about strolling the Camino to my own conditions...

Thank you for sharing these thoughts with me. And thank you for your answers to my questions. Have a nice weekend and... buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What a wonderful journey you are planning! It will certainly be memorable for you and your girls. Please do continue to share your thoughts and plans.

The Albergue Ninho in Rubiaes is on Facebook. Their telephone is
(+351) 916866372. Perhaps you might call re autumn reservations. They are also listed on Gronze.com.

In Portela the albergue does take reservations. See more here on this Gronze.com page.

Happy planning and Bom caminho to you and your group!

Last edited:
Hello Emia ,

I think it is a wonderful idea even if it will need a bit more planning and thinking through then when you embark solo on a Camino.
You do sound as someone with a lot of common sense and humour ...sometimes more important than professional skills ( working myself in mental health I really am convinced of that ).

I cannot answer all of your questions but I do know that Ninho albergue will take reservations. Above that they are also wonderful and warm people! They also have some smaller dormitories making it more private.

Hope you keep us informed how it all evolves.

Ulreïa!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have always believed the Camino is a place of healing, and I think it is a wonderful place to bring these young ladies. Bravo to you!
I am walking CP Aug 10, and will be sorry to miss you, although I am a REALLY slow walker, I know I can't lag far enough to make up a month.
Please keep us informed of your progress. I think you will gain as much from this experience with the girls as the girls will gain from the Camino.
Blessing all around!

Thank you very much for your positive feedback!

To tell you the the truth I was a bit afraid - guess I counted with a lot of negative reactions because of doing the Camino with such a bunch of "disturbed" girls. But I'm also convinced that the Camino is a place of healing; It's the walking, it's the talking, it's the enjoying and the sharing... I really hope my kids will meet people like you!

I'll try to give you an update now and then.

Re: Ryan Air - they charge for EVERYTHING, but contact them and see what they will say. If they do charge you, I suggest wrapping all walking sticks/poles together as one bundle bind them with duct tape/rope, etc) and checking these in as one package to save money.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen Camino Emia - I hope it will be a wonder time for you all and the girls and especially that they find themselves and are able to love the beautiful people they are. Well done you for doing this for them. What a beautiful blessing you are.

Hi Emia, we may run into each other in Santiago :) I am planning to arrive around October - but perhaps you would be later. Regarding the hiking poles, Ryan Air's website suggests sporting equipment could run you 30 to 60 pounds (can't find the correct symbol on my keyboard), and I would assume hiking poles qualify.

Perhaps it would be cheaper to return them by mail?

I can't wait to hear your stories so please do share. There is such potential for healing (and a little heartache too no doubt). Keep yourself well and buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What a lovely idea. I am sure you group will thrive and the Camino Angels will look after you. I am also leaving in a Camino of faith on 11 May. My daughter (who is permanently in a wheelchair) and I are attempting 12 days on the Frances. Just the two of us. We are also walking on faith and hoping the Angels will be with us.
Buen Camino I think your group is wonderful.

p.s. why don't you just pay for one hold item and buy a cheap bag at the end and put all sticks and sharps into it.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back