• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking The French Way August 29 2018

Kate Allenger

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Camino Frances August 29 2018!!
Yay!! I'm so excited to be walking The French Way at the end of August 2018. I'm coming from the Cayman Islands, which is as flat as a pancake so I'm very worried about the first couple of days because of the ups and downs. Is there just one route to Roncesvalles, or is there a less steep route? Also, I'm starting my walk August 29th on my own. Will there still be plenty of people along The Way in case I need moral support?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey Kate - Congratulations on the exciting news. Yes, there are two ways to Roncesvalles however neither is without steepness. The Napolean route certainly has more elevation and features some real steepness out of the gate from SJPDP and some wicked downhill after you summit the Pyrenees. The Valcarlos route is very mellow for the first 14kms or so and then the real steepness sets in around 16kms or so before culminating in a much less wicked downhill into Roncesvalles. In August you get your choice which is nice. A few thoughts come to mind for you: First, to train for these days you could put your backpack on and hop on a treadmill fully inclined. As long as you don't mind getting some (read as lots) funny looks you can help your climbing muscles develop. Second thoughts is whether or not you even want to start in SJPDP. The vast majority of those who walk the CF don't, choosing to start in Spain somewhere between Roncesvalles and Sarria. Starting in Roncesvalles gives you two very pleasant days before your first real hill (Alto del Perdon after Pamplona) and your body may thank you a few weeks from then! Either way, good luck and Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
I walked at about the same time of year and went via Valcarlos, as I come from a flat part of England and a friendly Canadian in the Pilgrim Office confirmed my thoughts by saying "The Napoleon is not for you", he was right, though he might be wrong now.

The first day is through foothills, rolling pastoral country, with a few steep climbs just to test you and give you an idea of whats ahead. The second day takes you through the mountains mostly by pathways in valleys and woods a lovely walk. In places, for a flatlander, quite difficult, but the elevation gain is less than the alternative. Some of the climbs seem to go on for a long time but take it slow, take rests and don't try to race. I had the moral support of 3 pilgrims I met in Valcarlos and the walk would have been harder without them. I reached Roncevalles just before dusk and felt exhausted, but pleased, despite regularly walking in excess of 25kM before I started. By the time I got to Leon it was a lot easier.

You could start from Roncevalles if you have doubts, there is no need to walk from St Jean Pied de Port.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Miss Kate, congratulations. You are going to have a great time. Remember that you can break the first stage in two by staying in Varcarlos if you decide to take that route. Animo islander! Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Hey Kate - Congratulations on the exciting news. Yes, there are two ways to Roncesvalles however neither is without steepness. The Napolean route certainly has more elevation and features some really steepness out of the gate from SJPDP and some wicked downhill after you summit the Pyrenees. The Valcarlos route is very mellow for the first 14kms or so and then the real steepness sets in around 16kms or so before culminating in a much less wicked downhill into Roncesvalles. In August you get your choice which is nice. A few thoughts come to mind for you: First, to train for these days you could put your backpack on and hop on a treadmill fully inclined. As long as you don't get some (read as lots) of funny looks you can help your climbing muscles develop. Second thoughts is whether or not you even want to start in SJPDP. The vast majority of those who walk the CF don't, choosing to start in Spain somewhere between Roncesvalles and Sarria. Starting in Roncesvalles gives you two very pleasant days before your first real hill (Alto del Perdon after Pamplona) and your body may thank you a few weeks from then! Either way, good luck and Buen Camino!
Thanks very much - that's very helpful - Kate

Miss Kate, congratulations. You are going to have a great time. Remember that you can break the first stage in two by staying in Varcarlos if you decide to take that route. Animo islander! Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
Thanks very much - I was thinking about staying in Valcarlos - think I might do that.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Kate, Just another point of view - I would recommend the Napoleon Route and staying at Orison on day 1 if you are a little scared. The mountain views are amazing and every hill you encounter for the rest of your trip will seem easy compared to day 1. I couldn't imagine not doing the Napoleon Route and I think I would regret it after getting home. The pain you endure on day 1 with other pilgrims will create bonds for the rest of your trip. Also think about the bragging rights when you get home !

I agree with MarkT17
We were not so young, we were not in great state of fitness but we managed that first day walking up to Orisson. (Book your bed well in advance) Just take that first day slowly, the distance is around 8km and it is steep but you will be on marked paths, not mountaineering, no need for crampons (!) so stop and admire the view, have a snack, take the pictures and be easy on yourself. It's not a race. There will be lots of pilgrims staying there overnight and you'll quite likely meet someone else to walk with next day.

Hi Kate!
If you did choose the 'Napoleon route', there is a much less steep descent than the one through the forest. It is easy to miss though (I did, the first time!), you have to go RIGHT once at the top, not straight on.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks very much - that's very helpful - Kate
Hi Kate, Just another point of view - I would recommend the Napoleon Route and staying at Orison on day 1 if you are a little scared. The mountain views are amazing and every hill you encounter for the rest of your trip will seem easy compared to day 1. I couldn't imagine not doing the Napoleon Route and I think I would regret it after getting home. The pain you endure on day 1 with other pilgrims will create bonds for the rest of your trip. Also think about the bragging rights when you get home !
Thanks very much. I am trying to book a room at Orisson! I would really like to go this way and you have encouraged me!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yay!! I'm so excited to be walking The French Way at the end of August 2018. I'm coming from the Cayman Islands, which is as flat as a pancake so I'm very worried about the first couple of days because of the ups and downs. Is there just one route to Roncesvalles, or is there a less steep route? Also, I'm starting my walk August 29th on my own. Will there still be plenty of people along The Way in case I need moral support?

Best of luck to you in your preparation. We are coming from Canada and scheduled to start about a week later on Sep 8/18. Hope to take Napoleon route. Very exciting.

I would recommend the Napoleon Route
Poor old Napoleon was never there Mark

I couldn't imagine not doing the Napoleon Route and I think I would regret it after getting home

Many Europeans commence at their front door in country France , Germany, Italy, Switzerland etc and walk via Samport which makes the walk via Roncesvalles " a walk in the park "

Also think about the bragging rights when you get home !

When you walk with 70 year olds from Le Puy . that's 800 km before STJPP , knowing well that they started in their mountain villages near Mount Blanc you quickly learn that bragging about where you commence is fraught with danger.

. I've sent an email, but I understand they are closed now so I'll try again in March 2018.

Keep sending e'mails , September is the busiest month , they will reply ,

and finally Kate ,
If its hot , and August can be very hot indeed , the plans you are now making go out the window.
You start early and finish early.
Orisson is reachable by mid morning .
Thats why the ones we accompanied from Geneva went via Valcarlos, in the forrest and on the valley floor before climbing . We have been over the top twice and the Valcarlos route three times. The village has wonderful accommodation , good restaurants and you get to Burguete the next day where there are not 100's of snorers ;).
Regardless you will have a great time, avoid the trap of staying in the same group as there are 20-30 plus nationalities you will encounter and take your time.
When we get home we wish we had taken longer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Kate, my wife and I (55) did the Napoleon route in September 16 and it turned out to be my wife’s favourite stage. We pre-booked Auberge Orisson and Roncesvalles. The first day is steep but only 8-9kms. We left at 9am and got there by noon. We had a relaxing lunch on their patio overlooking the Pyrenees. Supper and breakfast are included. The supper experience was one of the best. Everyone introduces themselves and state why they are walking. Some of these people became friends for the entire walk. The next stage to Roncesvalles is 18kms but not bad. The only negative is no services at all. A van selling fruits and beverages. No pee breaks. We bought a sandwich from the auberge to eat along the way. The descent to Roncesvalles is treacherous. Was a sunny day when we did it. If a rainy day, there is an alternate route down. We had trained for 3 weekends walking 15kms/day with backpacks. There will be other stages as tough with no alternatives. I found the climb to O'Cebreiro thougher and the descent from Alto Perdon long and treacherous. Words of wisdom from the Camino, the Camino does provide and all the worries you have now will fade away once you start walking. Buen Camino

Hello, Kate, and welcome.
The Valcarlos route is soooo gorgeous, and underappreciated. It's the more 'authentic' of the two ways between St Jean and Roncesvalles, going up a valley rather than over the tops. The forested parts after Valcarlos are very special. It is not without views, either. And if you want to break the journey into 2 days, there is a very nice albergue in Valcarlos.
There is a whole lot more peace and quiet for those who walk this way, and even though most people take the Napoleon route, you will not be missing out on friendships. Each path leads to Roncesvalles, and you'll be meeting even more pilgrims who start from there.
It's a choice, but you can't choose wrong.:)

Hi Kate my daughter and I are planing to be there at the same time, we will cross paths

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back